Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Boy Scouts are dropping the word 'boy' from their name

HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

** Boy Scouts are dropping the word 'boy' from the name of flagship program

The Boy Scouts of America doubled down Wednesday on its quest to become the scouting organization of choice for boys and girls, announcing it will drop "Boy" from the name of its signature program. **

Maybe those Boy Scout commemorates will go up in value as relics often do.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this is bad news for the Girl Scouts. They were already upset that the BS was letting in girls. Now with the name change, what purpose is there for the GS? It's not like they are merging. The BS are simply pulling the rug out from under the GS. The BS seem to be trying to save itself at the expense of the GS.

On a coin-related note, didn't the GS commems fail to generate any revenue for the GS due to poor sales?

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Money-wise, with the name change, think of the millions of dollars to be spent on new books, badges, uniforms, insignia's etc :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2018 11:14AM

I wonder if the long-term plan is to pull both organizations under one umbrella

I was a boy scout in SoCal and we let girls go on our trips altho they were not in the scouts. We (boys) certainly did not mind having girls on our trips.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feds are going to confiscate all commemorative coins violation of something I am sure now

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it even scouting if you stay at the Hilton?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2018 12:16PM

@1630Boston said:
    Money-wise, with the name change, think of the millions of dollars to be spent on new books, badges, uniforms, insignia's etc :smile:

THEN...after so many years, the two (boy & girl scouts) will divide again, and start the process over, cost even more money.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

.> @LindeDad said:

We did not stay at the Hilton, sometimes we were lucky enough to have a 'pre-built' "tent".....although the floor was hard. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    edited May 2, 2018 12:43PM

@1630Boston said:
    .> @LindeDad said:

We did not stay at the Hilton, sometimes we were lucky enough to have a 'pre-built' "tent".....although the floor was hard. :smile:

That is a Hilton compared to our troop who would backpack 30 miles in a weekend. Every kid had to carry a backpack 15 miles each day.

That got us ready for the 10 day Sierra Backpacking trips or the Rim To Rim Grand Canyon Hikes.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite part of scouting was tying tent doors shut

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did cub scouts when I was a kid, with the exception of my youngest daughter no one else ever had an interest in scouting. She gave up girl scouts after a year. Scouting is just not popular anymore, what when you have snapcrap, Kix, Instagram etc.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@jughead1893 said:

A company called A-16 based in San Diego where my troop was located made innovative backpacking tents a really, really, long time ago. My parents bought those tents and the new high tech backpacks that A-16 made at that time.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really awful.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

We live in this PC world.
    What is next, the non-binary scouts?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    We live in this PC world.
    What is next, the non-binary scouts?

Pls don't go there. It is only a matter of time but let's allow it to take as long as possible.

• Options

@jughead1893 said:

At least you had doors. :smile:

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2018 1:38PM

Most Girls Scouts would not, as I did, assiduously waste a great deal of time at Jamboree forlornly searching for a left-handed smoke-shifter :s

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned how to tie knots in the Boy Scouts. Sometimes I'll still tie one.
    I learned how to smoke Marlboro's too......I don't do that anymore......

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just another step along the path to destruction of the American way. Glad I won't be here 20 years from now to see what a piece of dirt this great country will have become.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    It's just another step along the path to destruction of the American way. Glad I won't be here 20 years from now to see what a piece of dirt this great country will have become.
    Jim

were'nt they founded in england?

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

ColonelJessup - boy were you naïve. Everybody knows that smoke-shifters come only in right-handed. Tent-stretchers, however, come right or left handed. Best one was getting sent to the chow hall to ask for 35 packets of dehydrated water for your troop's hike later that morning. The real goobers got sent to the maintenance shed to get a new sky hook for the flagpole.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is more of a financial mandate than PC. Fact is that both private organizations are in a membership free fall and both are in financial disarray. Combining them at some point might be the only thing that saves them. Without change they might both be out of business.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Yes, this is bad news for the Girl Scouts. They were already upset that the BS was letting in girls. Now with the name change, what purpose is there for the GS?

Cookies ! ! !

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just SCOUT COOKIES now. Or SCOUT CARAMEL POPCORN.

I joined a branch of the Boy Scouts in High School, I think it was called an Explorer Post. We were focused on communications in a little TV studio providing captions for a school for the deaf and recording different programs for them as well.

So are "Boy" Scout commemoratives now worth more than ever since they're using old terminology ?

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...wait...Girl Scout Cookies are actually cookies?...In California, we "roll up" Girl Scout Cookies by the bakers dozen ;)

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm an eagle scout and really enjoyed boy scouts. All this political correctness is getting so out of hand.

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    Really awful.

Yup.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see this as the continuing struggle for equality in various aspects of life. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

You go America, glad to see we are finally realizing that all races, genders, religious views, political affiliations etc. are created equal. Welcome to the 21st century. Still a few crusty old haters but they are a dying breed. Finally America is becoming what it actually says it stands for. Great times we are living my fellow brothers and sisters. Semper Fi!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfStrike said:
    ** Boy Scouts are dropping the word 'boy' from the name of flagship program

The Boy Scouts of America doubled down Wednesday on its quest to become the scouting organization of choice for boys and girls, announcing it will drop "Boy" from the name of its signature program. **

Maybe those Boy Scout commemorates will go up in value as relics often do.

No comment!

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Times... They are a changin

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did we get here?
    Who let it happen?
    It really is impossible to have imagined that it would end up like this.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

Good to see the Open Forum resuscitated ;) Where's ma blue fishy?

I made it to Life Scout when my family was transferred to another state. Driver's license, girls, drum line, etc. = no Eagle.
    Great memories. Wilderness Survival was a continuous experience, because of all the Viet Nam vets coming home and getting involved.

Most importantly, I believe the GS were the ones who created the economics paradigm 'same price for less product.; I remember the day I opened my Samoas, and the package contained 18 vs. the usual 20 cookies. WT* Brilliant!!

The ice cream makers followed suit reducing the half gallon to 1.75 qt for the same price, and you know the rest of the story.

GS should be thankful to be absorbed by what's left of the BS, in a culture whose believes gender is not determined by DNA, but by whatever one identifies with in their head.

"Scouts" is the logical progression. Will they re-invent the wheel or adopt the current military doctrine?

OK, tl;dr and ironically, I never earned the Numismatics Merit Badge even though I had done all the work for it :(

Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

boy were you naïve. Everybody knows that smoke-shifters come only in right-handed. Tent-stretchers, however, come right or left handed. Best one was getting sent to the chow hall to ask for 35 packets of dehydrated water for your troop's hike later that morning. The real goobers got sent to the maintenance shed to get a new sky hook for the flagpole.

Wait.... Was I the ONLY one sent out in the middle of the night Snype-hunting?

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Should make for some new and interesting merit badges. :)

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was dropped long before......like in 2013. There are other meaningful organizations to join, stand tall, hold your head high and be proud!

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

hmm, I remember reading about Scouts last century in a history book. yikes!

As an ex BS, I really do not feel it is a good idea. But if it makes financial sense, well do it

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

woof woof....

Dog Scouts lol

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gotta say this is alarming to me! When I grew up being in the Boy Scouts was tough at times. Life lessons learning how to be a man! I just can not picture a camping trip with girls along! Of course we would love it then! Yes I am getting there about to hit the 60 mark. I can't see the boys in todays society doing or having to do the things we used to have to do in Scouts.....much less the girls then. Maybe the girls would today....the kind that wanna be boys!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file