Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I could really use your help. Stolen/lost items. Reward offered

Comments

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking that the postal employee who likely did the theft thought it was something more valuable like gold...that the freebie would be his "motherlode" letting them achieve some dreams.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a few interesting articles about the postal service X-raying packages. This would be ideal for someone to have a pretty good idea on which packages to make disappear for a while. Its interesting to me to think how they target some packages and not others. I suppose weight and size might be another. Famous addresses may clue them in too like a PCGS address.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigjpst said:
    Just posting that I got the numismatic crime email regarding the bars today. So the word is spreading.

So does this kind of theft news just mainly go out to dealers on the wire service?

Is there any way to notify all the small shops scattered all across the country?

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:
    There are a few interesting articles about the postal service X-raying packages. This would be ideal for someone to have a pretty good idea on which packages to make disappear for a while. Its interesting to me to think how they target some packages and not others. I suppose weight and size might be another. Famous addresses may clue them in too like a PCGS address.

I had wondered if X-raying could be involved or maybe worse, a metal detector that can determine what metal is inside.

Does anyone know whether wrapping the final contents in aluminum foil before sealing a package would work to throw off shapes or metal content if these devices were used?

Also wondering if outside contractors are used by USPS at any point in some next day express shipments.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@bigjpst said:
    Just posting that I got the numismatic crime email regarding the bars today. So the word is spreading.

So does this kind of theft news just mainly go out to dealers on the wire service?

Is there any way to notify all the small shops scattered all across the country?

I'm not sure how I originally got on the list, but here is a link to the Numismatic Crime information center website. Where I believe anyone can sign up for the email alerts. I'm sure many dealers with small shops as well as collectors and vest pocket dealers are on the list and receive the emails.

numismaticcrimes.org/

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:

@1Mike1 said:

I had wondered if X-raying could be involved or maybe worse, a metal detector that can determine what metal is inside.

Does anyone know whether wrapping the final contents in aluminum foil before sealing a package would work to throw off shapes or metal content if these devices were used?

Also wondering if outside contractors are used by USPS at any point in some next day express shipments.

I expect their express service is closely tied to the various airline schedules.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@WinLoseWin said:

@1Mike1 said:

I expect their express service is closely tied to the various airline schedules.

Thought I recalled something about the USPS and FEDEX working together.

"...FedEx Express will provide airport-to-airport transportation of USPS Priority Mail Express and Priority Mail within the United States..."

I would think they would be in sealed shipping containers where FedEx employees don't actually handle packages, but I don't know if that's the case.

FedEx Extends Express Air Transportation Contract With United States Postal Service

February 23, 2017

https://about.van.fedex.com/newsroom/fedex-extends-express-air-transportation-contract-united-states-postal-service/

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

@WinLoseWin said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@WinLoseWin said:

@1Mike1 said:

"...FedEx Express will provide airport-to-airport transportation of USPS Priority Mail Express and Priority Mail within the United States..."

I would think they would be in sealed shipping containers where FedEx employees don't actually handle packages, but I don't know if that's the case.

FedEx Extends Express Air Transportation Contract With United States Postal Service

February 23, 2017

https://about.van.fedex.com/newsroom/fedex-extends-express-air-transportation-contract-united-states-postal-service/

Does FEDEX have an exclusive with the USPS? Does FEDEX do 100% of the carrying or do they sub out some to commercial flights? Seems that express delivery from any point A to any point B would depend upon the availability of flights and connecting flights in between A and B.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wrapped a slab in tin foil and sent off last week. Signature required. Has been posted as delivered but buyer says not so and he's not seen it.....
    bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2018 10:12AM

I don't want to derail this thread, but it might save people some wasted effort and dispel a false sense of security....

Wrapping items in a few layers of tin (aluminum) foil doesn't do much. Commercial X-ray scanners would see right through that like it was paper. Using our medical (lower power than commercial) scanners, I can see detail through seemingly solid stainless steel or titanium plates and rods with no problems. Notice the fine detail of the locking mechanism on the inside of the rod below. All of these parts are contained within something like 1/8" of solid metal.

Photo removed to try to steer the discussion back to Mark's missing items.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure that I needed to see that hip replacement at dinnertime but I will be watching estate auctions nationwide for those older silver bars, 3-10 oz. Any two or five ounce gold bars, too.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Visited both of my local bullion dealers yesterday and asked about any new bars. Nothing. I will keep asking. Sorry for your lost.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem is that if you make them too hot, they might not surface for a while.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the strangest hip replacement I have ever seen.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP,
    sorry about all the problems and I hope for the best.
    Nobody brought this into your loss equation: X-ray machines at post offices, used to x-ray the contents for dangerous goods!

Looks like USPS was negligent in looking after their responsibilities of safe keeping.
    Hence they could be liable, insurance or not?? I have no idea what USPS has in their terms. But unreasonable terms will not “stand up” if it comes to court. I had a claim against Canada post a few years ago. They pointed to the very small print. I claimed negligence by an employee (and had evidence they could not contradict or explain how a dime, well, securely and not obviously packaged right in the centre of the envelope, in one of their express envelopes, would sustain such “pointed” damage by accident and caused by a very pointed “tool” right smack in the center of the dime. They pointed again to the small print which says they can not be held liable for actions of their employees. I again suggested WILFUL and malicious damage caused by a employee doing a "mailicious" act.
    They paid. It was only a $320 coin (no insurance -limit is $100). I suggested I wanted to be compensated also for my efforts, as they are completely liable for the goods entrusted to them and for actions of their staff. I received the full amount of 320 plus express shipping costs of to and from the buyer.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

TTT

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2018 5:24PM

@sellitstore said:
    Not sure that I needed to see that hip replacement at dinnertime but I will be watching estate auctions nationwide for those older silver bars, 3-10 oz. Any two or five ounce gold bars, too.

@Smudge that is awfully kind of you. Thank you

Thank you!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2018 5:26PM

I did get my $151.70 shipping charges back today. Not without MAXiMUM effort on my part. When I have time I’ll tell you the story. Too worn out to do so now. They have me on the ropes. Cut me Mick

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go for their ribs Mark. Don’t let them breathe!!

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2018 5:47PM

@Justacommeman said:
    I did get my $151.70 shipping charges back today. Not without MAXiMUM effort on my part. When I have time I’ll tell you the story. Too worn out to do so now. They have me on the ropes. Cut me Mick

m

$151.70 shipping? I do believe that registered insured would have been much cheaper. And, probably safer. What's the word from USPS on whether they will cover the "bullion" with the method you chose? I believe registered is the only USPS method that covers insured bullion. Will all depend on how they classify the items lost.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going to have to convince them they are numismatic

They do sell for premiums.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Going to have to convince them they are numismatic

They do sell for premiums.

much easier if they had been coins and not bars.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

They should be embarrassed. They appear to have a problem with a thief. When you think about it, some folks take more pride in screwing you over than they do in taking pride in being honest and forthright.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2018 8:09PM

@derryb said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

$151.70 shipping? I do believe that registered insured would have been much cheaper. And, probably safer. What's the word from USPS on whether they will cover the "bullion" with the method you chose? I believe registered is the only USPS method that covers insured bullion. Will all depend on how they classify the items lost.

Of course I should of. I would many things differently. I wanted to get this to the buyer overnight. I shipped this on a Thursday Andy I didn’t want this sitting at the PO over the weekend. I rarely ship things. My mistake. I can only do what I can do now.

mark

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@WinLoseWin said:

@1Mike1 said:

February 23, 2017

UPS and FedEx handle USPS packages. The postal service doesn't have the number of facilities or cars or aircraft to handle the volume they do.

For UPS it's the Surepost system. It accounts for 10% of our volume (same as Amazon).

Bags and bags of USPS mail go into our package cars every day. It's then delivered by our drivers and sorted by USPS employees. Sometimes those employees accept it but don't scan or sort it. It'll get dumped in bins and bagged again for the next largest postal hub. I've heard of drivers being temporarily fired over lost Surepost only to find it was post office employees not scanning and stealing items.

It's completely possible it was a FedEx or UPS swap if sent via Surepost or FedEx's contracted program. Lost Surepost at our facility can be there for a week. It's completely possible it didn't happen at an actual USPS facility, but there are more cameras and weights and other checks/balances at UPS than USPS.

Usually our Surepost is stuff like mailers and small amazon boxes. Anything the size of a football that you can comfortably grab with one hand. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that, for some reason, this big honking box got opened on the sort and the clerk would be the only one knowing the contents.

But.. UPS has more cameras than a reality TV show, and something like this would be a good reason to lose SurePost. UPS wouldn't want to lose 10% of its volume. This would be damning even for Abney. Someone will be caught if Surepost was used. I've seen 20+ pound boxes end up in our "smalls" bags.

The only place it could've reasonably occurred would be at clerk stations with access to scales and repacking materials. If anyone moves a package off the sort, or USPS items go missing, everything is backtracked to the serial number on the trailer to the clerk employee ID.ID . This includes if a late air box didn't make it to a Surepost bag. It has to be hand delivered immediately and signed by the nearest PO.

We see tons of ripped up USPS, but nothing like this.

Triple box your items and address them all even if they're a box in a box. This is the best advice I can give anyone here.

I hope there's a positive outcome to this. I don't know if surepost was used or not but I posted this info on a few UPS sites in hopes someone may know anything.

• Options

@Azurescens said:
    @WinLoseWin said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@WinLoseWin said:

@1Mike1 said:

February 23, 2017

UPS and FedEx handle USPS packages. The postal service doesn't have the number of facilities or cars or aircraft to handle the volume they do.

For UPS it's the Surepost system. It accounts for 10% of our volume (same as Amazon).

Bags and bags of USPS mail go into our package cars every day. It's then delivered by our drivers and sorted by USPS employees. Sometimes those employees accept it but don't scan or sort it. It'll get dumped in bins and bagged again for the next largest postal hub. I've heard of drivers being temporarily fired over lost Surepost only to find it was post office employees not scanning and stealing items.

It's completely possible it was a FedEx or UPS swap if sent via Surepost or FedEx's contracted program. Lost Surepost at our facility can be there for a week. It's completely possible it didn't happen at an actual USPS facility, but there are more cameras and weights and other checks/balances at UPS than USPS.

Usually our Surepost is stuff like mailers and small amazon boxes. Anything the size of a football that you can comfortably grab with one hand. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that, for some reason, this big honking box got opened on the sort and the clerk would be the only one knowing the contents.

But.. UPS has more cameras than a reality TV show, and something like this would be a good reason to lose SurePost. UPS wouldn't want to lose 10% of its volume. This would be damning even for Abney. Someone will be caught if Surepost was used. I've seen 20+ pound boxes end up in our "smalls" bags.

The only place it could've reasonably occurred would be at clerk stations with access to scales and repacking materials. If anyone moves a package off the sort, or USPS items go missing, everything is backtracked to the serial number on the trailer to the clerk employee ID.ID . This includes if a late air box didn't make it to a Surepost bag. It has to be hand delivered immediately and signed by the nearest PO.

We see tons of ripped up USPS, but nothing like this.

Triple box your items and address them all even if they're a box in a box. This is the best advice I can give anyone here.

I hope there's a positive outcome to this. I don't know if surepost was used or not but I posted this info on a few UPS sites in hopes someone may know anything.

It was sent by express mail. Either the weight or postage amount [if that was visible] clued someone in as to value of contents. It's also possible that it was accidentally dropped and broke open and someone realized the value of of the contents. If it was set aside for repackaging there should be a record of that, no?

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

In either carrier system there would (should) be a detailed report of the opened package, what was spotted when it burst, what was retrieved, how much it weighed, a flag on weight discrepancy, and an employee ID number for FedEx/UPS. The box would say repackaged, or be in an new box labeled repackaged.

Usps, I don't know.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2018 9:40PM

Any updates Mark? Is the P.O. working with You and being receptive? They must have cameras in every facility and must know by now if it was opened inside one of the controlled distribution centers. It was a tracked package, and had a large gap in the chain of custody, that alone should have sounded some alarm bells. Please let us know how it plays out. And hope you are made whole

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2018 10:16PM

Hiya Bruce

I spent the day back and forth between the Consumers Affairs division and the Inspector Generals office. They kept bouncing the case back and forth between each other. I was the tennis ball. As of the minute the Consumers Affairs office contacted me tonight. It took me filing with the IG Hotline to get the Consumers Affairs Division to reach out. Up to now I’ve been calling everyday. Up until now they have just been operating under the assumpsion there was no theft. I’ve been working on this for several hours each day

Thanks again to everyone who has gave me advise on this thread and via PM’s. It’s been great. I don’t feel so all alone

m

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Re: the hip X-ray.

Looks like a gamma screw placed for a remote fracture that has migrated superomedially into the acetabulum - not a ideal position and not a hip replacement.

Looks more like a nasty hitch in his follow-thru :#

Thanks for the update, Mark.

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

“Up until now they have just been operating under the assumpsion there was no theft. “
    Yes random 5lb lead bars routinely show up in my USPS packages so I can see why they would be skeptical of your “theft” theory.

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2018 2:29PM

I also had an overnight shipment of platinum eagles stolen in NYC. They were double boxed, with labels on the interior box and disappeared when they hit the NYC dealers P.O. I’m sure they were stolen and it took a couple months and a lot of hassle to process the claim. Thats the only example of USPS loss for me in around 3,500 shipments.
    You’ve always been kind and helpful here on the boards and I hope this works out well for you. Hang in there buddy, we all have been there and feel your pain and frustration.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is USPS disputing the claim for the insured amount?

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a ten ounce bar from a couple who live in rural Nebraska, yesterday. I ask a lot of questions, when buying from others.

Thought of you , et al.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    Is USPS disputing the claim for the insured amount?

It hasn’t got that far yet. I’m trying to use all my allotted time on the prayer the items are found. I don’t want to lose claim to them. The claim has been started but I knew they would want additional info so I’m slowing it down a notch.

@drfish that made my day. Thank you

mark

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the USPS feel you sent the package in that condition? or the buyer tore up, exchanged, and re-taped the package?

• Options

@davewesen said:
    Does the USPS feel you sent the package in that condition? or the buyer tore up, exchanged, and re-taped the package?

No. Certainly they wouldn’t have accepted it that way and the recipient opened it up at his Post Office. They would like to think this wasnt stolen and was an accident with a chance of recovery.

mark

• Options

BTW that was not the outer carton I packed this in

Mark

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

x> @Lakesammman said:

Re: the hip X-ray.

Looks like a gamma screw placed for a remote fracture that has migrated superomedially into the acetabulum - not a ideal position and not a hip replacement.

Way too much penumbra in that image to be a serious diagnostic x-ray. Taken on a low quality machine (Del Med or possibly Siemens), grid in the table bucky also failed to do it's job.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sure it’s a C-arm image, not a flat plate X-ray....... just something I stole off the Internet to make my point. Not my patient. Not my work. Failed gamma nail, yes.

Please, let’s let the X-ray thing die. This thread is about Mark’s stollen items.

I was only trying to illustrate the folly of trying to thwart commercial X-ray scanners with a couple layers of aluminum foil.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any new updates?

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Any new updates?

Yep, there are a lot of radiologists on the forum

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman If you haven't informed your state attorney generals office or your elected official, that might help apply pressure as well. If you feel the USPS is stonewalling you, another way to apply pressure would be to contact your local news station and inform them of the issue. Most local news have "investigative" teams or teams that handle consumer "issues". Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/troubleshooters/

Having reporters get the USPS on camera and question why a package with rare and expensive items have been removed under their watch can force them to look into it further and take it more serious. I would use this option as a last resort, but would keep it in my back pocket. Sometimes public shaming is the most effective way of getting what you want...

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we keep this post on topic instead of all this hip X-ray talk?

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    Can we keep this post on topic instead of all this hip X-ray talk?

Give me a break, man.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭

Just a crazy thought... - what about hiring a private investigator to try and dig deeper for you? The Postmaster general has purview but I vould think of some tactics that a PI vould use to get some information.
    A) social media searches of the post office employees wherr crime originated- looking for
    I) windfalls
    Ii) drug use/references
    Iii) collectors/stackers
    Iv) anything else

B) try to befriend a few people there... take them out for a beer and get the office scuttlebutt

This has now become the long game!

• Options

@shady and relaxn. I’ve considered all of these tactics and may resort to them . I had to give them some time to sort this out themselves even though I believe it will go unresolved

m

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any idea the use of the lead that was placed in the package. It looks like it has some sort of screw in it.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file