Home U.S. Coin Forum

I could really use your help. Stolen/lost items. Reward offered

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will copy to the Coin Dealer Network. Please send me some phone numbers for people to call if they see them, plus names of police contacts, Case numbers, etc.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    I will copy to the Coin Dealer Network. Please send me some phone numbers for people to call if they see them, plus names of police contacts, Case numbers, etc.
    TD

@CaptHenway said:
    TD

PM sent

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ultimately the crime will end up in the hands of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. Here's their web page:

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry this happened to you. Good luck with everything!!!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Done.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks, Mark. Best of luck to you.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisRx said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@ChrisRx said:
    Someone knew something. Otherwise these perp(s) would be opening many packages.

Was there anything on the package that said "treasure inside?"

Heavy packages shipped express mail attract attention.

Then he should work with police and recreate this situation and catch the perps.

It's also possible that someone dropped the box and it broke open. A worker who realized what the contents were probably set it aside until he could get to "fixing" it.

theknowitalltroll;
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a real bummer. I know if I were in your situation, this event would probably make me physically ill.

There is enough missing metals that making a few day trip out of the area to get rid of it would be financially worth it to the perps. I'm up here on the Oregon/Washington border which is just straight up I-5. I'll get the word out to the local shops and pawn shops. I would recommend anyone in Nevada, Utah, Idaho or Arizona along a major Interstate to put the word out in your area. I highly doubt the thieves will be dumb enough to dispose of these bars locally.

I would also contact that big refineries and APMEX and any other major bullion dealers that deal through the mail. This is just disgusting and I hope these bastards get what's coming to them.

Catching this person(s) would make me less ill

Thank you

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Most of the post offices have surveillance cameras with links to tracking numbers. I had one priority go missing and the postmaster at the unit said the surveillance camera in that case did not pick up the missing parcel in question when it was scanned. Hopefully you will find some inspectors with real intelligence or quality instincts to connect the right dots.

Postmaster said that the cameras DID NOT PICK UP THE MISSING PARCEL IN QUESTION?
    Why bother with cameras, it's the whole postal system that's the problem IMHO.
    USPS rarely catches the thieves that steal high dollar packages, but they do find the employees (carriers) that get rid of the useless no value bulk mail that nobody wants anyway.

@Raybo PM’s sent. Please let me know if you received them

Thank you

mark

@bigjpst said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I’m just very leery of what I should say at the post office. I highly suspect the office I shipped from

Mark

Don't tell them they are bullion as others have stated. Tell them they are collectibles. Hopefully Doug will have some direction for you. I would not immediately suspect that the items will be melted. Quite possible they end up at a pawn shop or coin shop.

@Raybo said:
    Mark,
    I'm going to "cut and copy" your OP and show it to some of the higher-ups that I know that work for the USPS.
    Is the image of the package the way the buyer received it?

@bigjpst They are not bullion so for sure I wouldn’t. I appreciate the advise.

@Raybo the package was received like that. Pm’s Sent. Appreciate the help immensely

mark

PM back at you Mark.

And I'm probably in trouble with anyone that works for the USPS :#

edited April 6, 2018 8:42PM

@Raybo said:
    And I'm probably in trouble with anyone that works for the USPS :#

There are bad apples everywhere. I’m sure almost all of them are honest. It only takes few. I learned a lot at USPS during this transaction. Just how poor their tracking and accountability is. Within 18 hours they had zero idea where the package was in their system. I sent it on a Thursday and on Saturday I was told by supervisior at my post office that the package didn’t make it due to weather and it was in Santa Clarita. It turns out it was never in Santa Clarita. I sent the same buyer another package at the same time and they package made overnight fine. I have no idea what I’m going to tell the post office tomorrow as I don’t trust them there.

mark

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck on being made whole, this really sucks. Not really sure if posting this on Instagram will help, but I can give it a shot if you think it's worthwhile. I'm betting that some crooked postal worker or workers had something to do with this.

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man that stinks. Best of luck. They will turn up somewhere at some point.

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭

Email sent.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch, I feel your pain. The last time I received a damaged (with contents missing) package has been probably 15 years. At the time I was told some segments of truck transport are not USPS employees but contractors. Some of these are thieves and look for items with high shipping charges, denoting lots of insurance. I am so glad I can now print labels without cost shown on eBay and PAYPAL.

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear about this! :'( Postal workers are not above reproach, so the investigation should point to them as a starting point.

Several years ago, I shipped an a gorgeous 1810 Classic Head Large Cent (PCGS MS64, Ex: NGC-MS65, Ex: Koshkarian) via USPS Overnight Express Mail with third-party insurance, from the East Coast to the West. The manager of the sorting station in Los Angeles remembered the package, and said that it had definitely been put on the truck for delivery to the Santa Monica Post Office -- a 15 minute ride -- but the package never showed up in Santa Monica! $100K coin lost in a matter of minutes! Fortunately, the insurance covered it in full, but I still would have preferred for the coin not to be lost. Ever since then, I've used Registered Mail, as each postal worker down the line has to sign it into his possession, and then sign it out when it is transferred to the next worker who signs in.

Hopefully, the contents of your package get located in short order!!

• cccoinscccoins Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry about this. I hate thieves, and know how painful theft can be for the victim.

edited April 6, 2018 9:50PM

You would think the older you get that one would quit making mistakes like this. I messed up.

I have to make hundreds of decisions a day at work. I get a lot of them right. It seems that I let my guard down on things by like this too often for my own liking.

I know I shouldn’t let this get me down but things like this take the joy out of collecting for me. I need to take a step back and see if I really want to keep doing this.

No matter what it’s not the end of the world but it’s still a bitter pill to swallow.

To all I appreciate the help and talking this out is somewhat therapeutic. Thank you

I still want to puke

m

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. Takes all the fun out of it. Even if somehow you’re made whole financially, the thought of rare collectible bars being melted is a real gut-punch.

I’m probably not much help, but best of luck catching these guys. Unfortunately your best chance of getting results is to be a REALLY squeaky wheel. It will take plenty of time & effort with no guarantee of success.

I look forward to your report of the scumbag’s arrest and recovery of your property.

edited April 6, 2018 10:01PM

@BryceM said:
    Yup. Takes all the fun out of it. Even if somehow you’re made whole financially, the thought of rare collectible bars being melted is a real gut-punch.

I’m probably not much help, but best of luck catching these guys. Unfortunately your best chance of getting results is to be a REALLY squeaky wheel. It will take plenty of time & effort with no guarantee of success.

I look forward to your report of the scumbag’s arrest and recovery of your property.

I have less then zero expectations out of being made whole. I have a little more
    then zero expectations of recovering some of the items. I have some hope of rooting out the thief (s). This will have to be my satisfaction in all of this

m

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a very upsetting turn of events. and I feel really bad for you--looking at those pictures made me almost sick---I really can't imagine how this feels for you.
    Money is (eventually) replaceable.
    The loss of your passion for coins would be an even greater loss.
    Don't let the bastards get you down.

@mannie gray said:
    This is a very upsetting turn of events. and I feel really bad for you--looking at those pictures made me almost sick---I really can't imagine how this feels for you.
    Money is (eventually) replaceable.
    The loss of your passion for coins would be an even greater loss.
    Don't let the bastards get you down.

You are correct on everything of course. Others have so many bigger issues then this. But right now the bastards are winning badly. It’s personal to me. I was fastidious about buying these items. Made all the right moves and then boom. Gone in a blink of an eye. Sucks the fun right out of it for me.

m

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, this makes me feel sick. I can only imagine how you feel about it. Thieves are among the lowest forms of human life.
    Unfortunately I have no advice for this situation.

Collector, occasional seller

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the loss, hoping for a miracle, good luck

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks. Seems to me if this package was registered they would have the names of each person who possessed it along the way (postal workers).

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

@1Mike1 said:
    That sucks. Seems to me if this package was registered they would have the names of each person who possessed it along the way (postal workers).

It wasn’t. It was sent Priority Overnight insured.

mark

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2018 11:09AM

@Justacommeman said:
    You would think the older you get that one would quit making mistakes like this. I messed up.

I have to make hundreds of decisions a day at work. I get a lot of them right. It seems that I let my guard down on things by like this too often for my own liking.

I know I shouldn’t let this get me down but things like this take the joy out of collecting for me. I need to take a step back and see if I really want to keep doing this.

No matter what it’s not the end of the world but it’s still a bitter pill to swallow.

To all I appreciate the help and talking this out is somewhat therapeutic. Thank you

I still want to puke

m

My sympathies for the loss and for what you are experiencing. The time delay in delivery is certainly the fault of the postal system. By not having adequate procedures, protocols, and safeguards in place to provide for their promised overnight delivery they were negligent. The time delay allowed more opportunity for nefarious conduct so there you have your proximate cause. I think you might have the basis for a civil suit regardless of insurance. Worth having a lawyer in your jurisdiction at least research the issue.

Makes you wonder who you can trust. They seem so nice when they take your money and package. Rarely does it cross your mind that the next few days you'd like to slap them around to get some answers. I hope everything works out for you and that they find the person who did this.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2018 3:42AM

Wow! I suspect you look at every high grade 1810 Large Cent that hits the market? Surely it will turn up 1 day!

@cardinal said:
    So sorry to hear about this! :'( Postal workers are not above reproach, so the investigation should point to them as a starting point.

Several years ago, I shipped an a gorgeous 1810 Classic Head Large Cent (PCGS MS64, Ex: NGC-MS65, Ex: Koshkarian) via USPS Overnight Express Mail with third-party insurance, from the East Coast to the West. The manager of the sorting station in Los Angeles remembered the package, and said that it had definitely been put on the truck for delivery to the Santa Monica Post Office -- a 15 minute ride -- but the package never showed up in Santa Monica! $100K coin lost in a matter of minutes! Fortunately, the insurance covered it in full, but I still would have preferred for the coin not to be lost. Ever since then, I've used Registered Mail, as each postal worker down the line has to sign it into his possession, and then sign it out when it is transferred to the next worker who signs in.

Hopefully, the contents of your package get located in short order!!

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish there was something I could add other than to say I'm sorry this happened. I saw your "For Sale" thread with these items and my jaw dropped. Best of luck in finding the perp(s).

One question: Why is your post office of origin high on your list of suspects? Perhaps more info will spark some ideas?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually happened almost identically to me about 15 years ago. Small priority box arrived at the buyer with an old VHS tape in it instead of the 90%.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure wish I had something to offer other than condolences.

Will be thinking of you as this plays out. What a rotten thing to have happen.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a terrible loss... Mark, make sure you deal with the Post Master and not just a clerk.... Looks like all the suggestions for action at this point have already been made above....I know the deep sick feeling you have in the pit of your stomach... I have been there (different situation). Best of luck with recovery and prosecution. Cheers, RickO

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had this same thing happen to a package that I received (not coins). The postal workers had opened the package, took 2 items out of 24 and then put bags of rice in the package and taped it back up. It took an extra month for me to finally get the package. I still remember the day it showed up because I thought it was a total loss.

You have a lot of people here pulling for you and lots of eyes looking out. Hopefully, you can get some positive closure.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh, nothing helpful to add, but I do hope you get SOME sort of satisfaction. We all know what Karma is, but I wish she'd do her thing a little more where we could all see it happen. This is a pit-of-the-stomach ill feeling especially knowing what is likely to happen to the bars. Totally sucks.

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you get your p.o. to pull a video or picture from when you dropped the package off and see how it looked then from how it looked when your friend picked it up? Inspector could see the differences and that it was tampered with if so.

I’ve been at this all night. It’s beem suggested I start with the US Postal Insector in my area. Studio City, CA 91604. However, I can’t find that local number. I can only find a general 877 number. When I call it it says call during normal business hours but it doesn’t state them and just hangs up.

m

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did a bit of sleuthing, and the Studio City Post Office is listed at:

3950 Laurel Canyon Blvd
    Studio City, California 91604
    (818) 761-1286

If that is the correct address, the number listed is the direct phone number to that station.

edited April 7, 2018 8:24AM

@Justacommeman said:
    I’ve been at this all night. It’s beem suggested I start with the US Postal Insector in my area. Studio City, CA 91604. However, I can’t find that local number. I can only find a general 877 number. When I call it it says call during normal business hours but it doesn’t state them and just hangs up.

m

Address: 3950 Laurel Canyon Blvd, Studio City, CA 91604
    Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 10AM

These are the phone numbers they list
    800-ASK-USPS® (800-275-8777)
    Phone 818-761-1286
    Fax 818-761-8672
    TTY 877-889-2457

web site address
    https://tools.usps.com/go/POLocatorDetailsAction!input?locationID=1440790&locationName=STUDIO+CITY&locationType=po

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to take up space on this serious thread but I feel compelled to offer you my moral support, for what it's worth.
    So wish I could roll up my sleeves and help.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

@cardinal
    @1Mike1

Thanks for chipping in! My wife found a different 877 number and I was able to get a case open with them over the phone. Now I have to fill out the claim on line.

Martin that is the post office I shipped from. I called that number no less then 100 times during business hours that week. Never once pickled up

I went to the police and they were very sympathetic BUT this is Postal crime and they don’t investigate it. That’s what the US Postal
    inspector is for. They are the police in this case.

This all is painful for me to type.

m

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

On the usps site go to quick tools and choose find locations. Enter a zip code and there should be hyperlinks for the main branch and substations. These usually include phone and fax numbers. Any post office can and should give you contact info for other branches.

theknowitalltroll;
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2018 9:08AM

:'( , That's all I can say. I will keep an eye out but doubt anything will make its way to Atlanta.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• SmithAuctionCoSmithAuctionCo Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Did you open up a claim online yet? I've been told by my local post office and other postal employees that if you ever need to make an insurance claim (or any USPS inquiry), do it directly on the USPS website, NOT at your local post office. This not only helps expedite the process, but gets it in front of the right people that investigate these thefts / issues.

When you open the claim online, you can submit any documents you have as far as the contents (photos, invoices, etc.). After you submit the claim, you will most likely be contacted directly via phone by a US Postal Inspector for more details. They do not mess around and are very thorough and take these cases very seriously.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the thief knew he/she could loose a finger or hand like punishment in some other countries crime would go WAY down.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file