Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yacorie1 said:
    I tend to only collect barbers in VF just because I love the look. 95% of the coins I have in the set(s) have this same look. Although I had taken a break, it also means that even when I'm searching, I'm not buying too many.

That’s the look. Very nice 02-S.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim- I like your coins. Even though many may see our coins as outcasts we love and respect them just the same. Equality to all colors of coins!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 02-S!

• Options

Scott-

Wecoe to the thread and thanks for the GREAT post! It's always a pleasure to see a new Barber enthusiast surface. What part of the US are you in?

• Options
    scodalscodal Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Scott-

Wecoe to the thread and thanks for the GREAT post! It's always a pleasure to see a new Barber enthusiast surface. What part of the US are you in?

Hi Jeff,

Thank you! I'm in California which, notwithstanding being home to a few outstanding local dealers like Glenn and Steve at Americana Rare Coin, sadly does not seem to be the epicenter of the Barber-collecting community. I have been trying to make it out to more shows out-of-state, though, as work and family allow. Do you ever make it out to any of the CA shows?

• Options

Welcome to the boards Scott. It's good to see another Barber Dime collector here. Are you collecting the basic set or the variety set?

• Options

Hi Scott
    Welcome to the boards. I have been collecting since paper boy days. I have completed a half set in XF-AU. I’m now working on Barber dimes in same grade, but just the toughest 20 coins in my opinion. Glad you have joined the discussion. Best wishes
    Jim (no headlight see)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Welcome to the boards Scott. It's good to see another Barber Dime collector here. Are you collecting the basic set or the variety set?

Thank you, Dimeman! I originally set out to collect the 74 regular issues along with the '05 micro O, but along the way I have picked up a few RPDs and RPMs I couldn't pass up, including an 1893-S/S/S and an 1892-O RPD. I understand that you have a keen interest in Barber dime varieties, and hope to pick your brain about a few of them at some point.

• Options

@No Headlights said:
    Hi Scott
    Welcome to the boards. I have been collecting since paper boy days. I have completed a half set in XF-AU. I’m now working on Barber dimes in same grade, but just the toughest 20 coins in my opinion. Glad you have joined the discussion. Best wishes
    Jim (no headlight see)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the welcome! Wow, congratulations on completing a Barber half set in XF-AU! That's no small feat. I've been tempted to embark on a quarter or half set in addition to an AU dime set, but for the time being I'm trying to stay focused (i.e. I can scarcely afford the dimes I want, even when I can find any). Maybe some day...

I'd be curious to know what you'd consider to be the top 20 most difficult issues of the Barber dime series. Sometimes it feels like there's about a 40-way tie for that distinction.

• Options

@scodal said:

@No Headlights said:
    Hi Scott
    Jim (no headlight see)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the welcome! Wow, congratulations on completing a Barber half set in XF-AU! That's no small feat. I've been tempted to embark on a quarter or half set in addition to an AU dime set, but for the time being I'm trying to stay focused (i.e. I can scarcely afford the dimes I want, even when I can find any). Maybe some day...

I'd be curious to know what you'd consider to be the top 20 most difficult issues of the Barber dime series. Sometimes it feels like there's about a 40-way tie for that distinction.

Scott
    I collect in the XF-AU area. Here imo are the top 20 dimes.
    95-O
    03-S
    96-O
    01-S
    95-P
    97-O
    94-O
    96-S
    04-S
    92-S
    13-S
    00-O
    95-S
    93-O
    98-O
    97-S
    94-P
    09-S
    99-O
    02-S

• Options

@No Headlights said:

@scodal said:

@No Headlights said:
    Hi Scott
    Jim (no headlight see)

Hi Jim,

Scott
    95-O
    03-S
    96-O
    01-S
    95-P
    97-O
    94-O
    96-S
    04-S
    92-S
    13-S
    00-O
    95-S
    93-O
    98-O
    97-S
    94-P
    09-S
    99-O
    02-S

Jim: Thanks for sharing your list, I regularly track certified populations of Barber dimes in AU, and thought you might be interested to see how your list compares with the data I've compiled. As of 3/1, the top 20 (ranked at least in terms of numeric scarcity, and not necessarily actual difficulty) are:

1896-O
    1905-o (micro)
    1896-S
    1897-O
    1909-S
    1908-O
    1901-S
    1906-O
    1910-S
    1895-O
    1894-O
    1900-O
    1910-D
    1899-O
    1907-O
    1898-O
    1897-S
    1898-S
    1893-O

A few differences, but not many. Care to take a guess as to which issue (there's only one) that has experienced zero growth in a year and a half of tracking?

All: Chalk it up to a healthy outlet for my mild OCD, but I regularly compile population census data (from PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG) for Barber dimes in AU, and have dabbled in tracking comparative growth rates, trends and anomalous scarcity-to-value ratios. Subject to the caveat that some of these numbers are probably skewed by regrading, crossovers, etc., there are occasionally some surprising revelations. I promise I won't flood this thread with stats, but I am also happy to share some of my data - please feel free to message me privately if I can provide any stats or answer any questions.

• Options

Scott-

Although I make it to California for wine excursions frequently I haven't made it to a coin show yet. I want to get to a PCGS Members only show in Long Beach one of these days.

My story follows yours in a similar way. I began collecting as a kid in the '60's from circulation, started purchasing Barber Halves (VG to VF) in the '70's as a teen, and after college managed to purchase a handful of XF to AU Barber Halves to get a set started. Once married with children the coins went by the wayside for 30 years. I've been active again for 7 years now, focusing almost exclusively on Barbers. There's something about them, especially the Halves (for me).

• Options

@scodal said:

@No Headlights said:

@scodal said:

@No Headlights said:
    Hi Scott
    Jim (no headlight see)

Hi Jim,

Scott
    95-O
    03-S
    96-O
    01-S
    95-P
    97-O
    94-O
    96-S
    04-S
    92-S
    13-S
    00-O
    95-S
    93-O
    98-O
    97-S
    94-P
    09-S
    99-O
    02-S

Jim: Thanks for sharing your list, I regularly track certified populations of Barber dimes in AU, and thought you might be interested to see how your list compares with the data I've compiled. As of 3/1, the top 20 (ranked at least in terms of numeric scarcity, and not necessarily actual difficulty) are:

1896-O
    1905-o (micro)
    1896-S
    1897-O
    1909-S
    1908-O
    1901-S
    1906-O
    1910-S
    1895-O
    1894-O

1910-D
    1899-O
    1907-O
    1898-O
    1897-S
    1898-S
    1893-O

A few differences, but not many. Care to take a guess as to which issue (there's only one) that has experienced zero growth in a year and a half of tracking?

All: Chalk it up to a healthy outlet for my mild OCD, but I regularly compile population census data (from PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG) for Barber dimes in AU, and have dabbled in tracking comparative growth rates, trends and anomalous scarcity-to-value ratios. Subject to the caveat that some of these numbers are probably skewed by regrading, crossovers, etc., there are occasionally some surprising revelations. I promise I won't flood this thread with stats, but I am also happy to share some of my data - please feel free to message me privately if I can provide any stats or answer any questions.

Scott
    Couple comments on your list
    1. I believe using pop reports on dimes
    can skew some issues. A few of the coins on your list with low pop reports are present because their value in AU doesn’t warrant the cost of slabbing. Pop reports are more reliable imo with quarters and halves.
    2. I don’t collect varieties, just not my thing. So my list wouldn’t include the 05 micro O. To each his own on that.
    Just a wild guess on your pop report mystery coin. The 96-O

Best wishes
    Jim

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Scott-

Although I make it to California for wine excursions frequently I haven't made it to a coin show yet. I want to get to a PCGS Members only show in Long Beach one of these days.

My story follows yours in a similar way. I began collecting as a kid in the '60's from circulation, started purchasing Barber Halves (VG to VF) in the '70's as a teen, and after college managed to purchase a handful of XF to AU Barber Halves to get a set started. Once married with children the coins went by the wayside for 30 years. I've been active again for 7 years now, focusing almost exclusively on Barbers. There's something about them, especially the Halves (for me).

I live in northern CA, a couple of counties from Napa. If drinking wine counts as a hobby, we have two in common. I try to make the Long Beach show but only make it down about once a year.

That's great to hear that you found your way back to collecting after an extended pause, too. Looking back now, I wish I had either kept the faith into adulthood (as it sounds like Jim did) or at least kept the coins from the early days, as you did. For better or for worse, the relative value of the 1914-D Lincoln cent in VF I found in a jar my dad had saved (and that my grandparents had kept for him) paled in comparison to the new stereo it helped buy when I was 14.

I've seen your Halves set in the registry... absolutely incredible set. That only took 3 years!? Halves are beautiful coins, especially like that, but I lack a budget for attempting an AU-level set. In any event, I told myself that I won't start anything else until the first set is complete.

• Options

@No Headlights said:

@scodal said:

@No Headlights said:

@scodal said:

@No Headlights said:
    Hi Scott
    Jim (no headlight see)

Hi Jim,

Scott
    95-O
    03-S
    96-O
    01-S
    95-P
    97-O
    94-O
    96-S
    04-S
    92-S
    13-S
    00-O
    95-S
    93-O
    98-O
    97-S
    94-P
    09-S
    99-O
    02-S

1896-O
    1905-o (micro)
    1896-S
    1897-O
    1909-S
    1908-O
    1901-S
    1906-O
    1910-S
    1895-O
    1894-O

1910-D
    1899-O
    1907-O
    1898-O
    1897-S
    1898-S
    1893-O

Scott
    can skew some issues. A few of the coins on your list with low pop reports are present because their value in AU doesn’t warrant the cost of slabbing. Pop reports are more reliable imo with quarters and halves.
    2. I don’t collect varieties, just not my thing. So my list wouldn’t include the 05 micro O. To each his own on that.

Best wishes
    Jim

As to your first point, I absolutely agree: numbers only tell a small part of the story (particularly pop reports than can skew true scarcity). I think some of the early century Philadelphia issues have actual scarcity you'd expect for comparable mintages, but are only now beginning to be worth the cost of certified and so, for now, their pops are artificially low. On the other hand, some issues like the 1902-S will probably always be a better date, but are increasing in (relatively) large numbers compared to similar scarcities and mintages, and that can't necessarily all be explained by crossovers and regrades. Incidentally, if you have any spare 1910-Ds in choice AU you're interested in trading, let's talk offline. Please!

I know nothing about the quarter and half pop reports, but that's a really interesting observation. Why do you think those are more reliable?

As to your second point, also a fair point: for what it's worth, #21 on the list is the 1906-S.

As to the guess, I would have told you if you were right, but it just came to my attention that I may want to keep that confidential until next week...

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2018 7:35PM

Glad you don't compete for the look I like(or do you?) if you don't like the 10. Kindda surprises me with the nice 02-S you posted!!!!! There are actually 3 choices in the listing! I can tell you I have handled or own at least 10 F12's that don't hold a candle to the one PCGS Graded VG10....look wise or detail wise! Keep in mind the O mints get a pass more times than not on the detail in Liberty.

Edit to add...I have seen a couple of 20's PCGS has graded with no more detail than the 10!

• Options

Welcome aboard Scott...Scodal!

• Options

@scodal said:

@No Headlights said:

@scodal said:

@No Headlights said:

@scodal said:

@No Headlights said:
    Hi Scott
    Jim (no headlight see)

Hi Jim,

Scott
    95-O
    03-S
    96-O
    01-S
    95-P
    97-O
    94-O
    96-S
    04-S
    92-S
    13-S
    00-O
    95-S
    93-O
    98-O
    97-S
    94-P
    09-S
    99-O
    02-S

1896-O
    1905-o (micro)
    1896-S
    1897-O
    1909-S
    1908-O
    1901-S
    1906-O
    1910-S
    1895-O
    1894-O

1910-D
    1899-O
    1907-O
    1898-O
    1897-S
    1898-S
    1893-O

Scott

Best wishes
    Jim

As to your first point, I absolutely agree: numbers only tell a small part of the story (particularly pop reports than can skew true scarcity). I think some of the early century Philadelphia issues have actual scarcity you'd expect for comparable mintages, but are only now beginning to be worth the cost of certified and so, for now, their pops are artificially low. On the other hand, some issues like the 1902-S will probably always be a better date, but are increasing in (relatively) large numbers compared to similar scarcities and mintages, and that can't necessarily all be explained by crossovers and regrades. Incidentally, if you have any spare 1910-Ds in choice AU you're interested in trading, let's talk offline. Please!

I know nothing about the quarter and half pop reports, but that's a really interesting observation. Why do you think those are more reliable?

As to your second point, also a fair point: for what it's worth, #21 on the list is the 1906-S.

As to the guess, I would have told you if you were right, but it just came to my attention that I may want to keep that confidential until next week...

Scott
    My point was there are lots more collectible raw common date dimes than quarters and halves. A common date dime in xf au doesn’t warrant the cost of slabbing while common dates halves and quarters do warrant slabbing because of the price.
    So when looking at pop reports for common date dimes keep that in mind.
    For many collectors who don’t participate in the registry sets the cost of slabbing a common date dime is prohibitive.
    On the other hand the dime keys in collectible condition for the most part have been slabbed. Hope that clarified my opinion
    Good luck on your search!!!

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darrell, The VG10 looks nice for the grade and would be my choice.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

@Yacorie1 said:
    I tend to only collect barbers in VF just because I love the look. 95% of the coins I have in the set(s) have this same look. Although I had taken a break, it also means that even when I'm searching, I'm not buying too many.

Yacorie1, Question. When you say "searching", how in-depth is that searching? do you travel to shows incurring travel expenses? or stick to online shopping and local coin shops?

• Options
    Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Glad you don't compete for the look I like(or do you?) if you don't like the 10. Kindda surprises me with the nice 02-S you posted!!!!! There are actually 3 choices in the listing! I can tell you I have handled or own at least 10 F12's that don't hold a candle to the one PCGS Graded VG10....look wise or detail wise! Keep in mind the O mints get a pass more times than not on the detail in Liberty.

Edit to add...I have seen a couple of 20's PCGS has graded with no more detail than the 10!

Ok I'm not sure what I was looking at when I clicked on it the first time. I don't think I scrolled down but just looked at the small thumbnail pictures at the top. That 99-O is a great looking coin; that wasn't one of the ones I had seen - so clearly I don't know how to scroll down on links.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@Yacorie1 said:

Yacorie1, Question. When you say "searching", how in-depth is that searching? do you travel to shows incurring travel expenses? or stick to online shopping and local coin shops?

So I haven't been to a show in some time, except for a small local one nearby. Most of the searching I'm doing is with local shops and/or online. Honestly, I prefer to be able to go to local shops and see the coins in hand but I've certainly purchased plenty of coins online or through auctions also.

For myself, I enjoy finding coins at local shops that people have brought in or at small shows then I do just going online and doing it. The other advantage for me in staying local is my discretionary funds last longer that way.

The lack of purchasing has more to do with the sources that I'm using and likely less to do with the overall availability.

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Scott:

Michael is smiling down on you. What a fine post. Here are two quarters he and I spent hours discussing (of which I am the current caretaker).

He loved Barber Quarters and is missed, very much.

Craig

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Tightening Standards? This is directed at you and @Barberfanatic! They are throwing tough standards at some and giving gifts to others! I bought 2 coins I wouldn't usually buy at the last show to help show not every coin is equal in plastic!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302661339471

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302661334553

This is where Darrell and I agree completely. "Not every coin is equal in plastic" is absolutely correct. Maybe they are "tightening standards" lately. I just don't have enough information to form an opinion one way or another on that since I personally haven't submitted a coin for grading in several years. However, I do know that "back in the day" Darrell and I would meet up once a month at a local coin show and he would show me some of his head-scratchers. Coins that he has submitted for grading that easily should have made a particular grade and had exceptional eye appeal for that grade, and they would come back a grade, or in some cases, two grades lower than what they should have graded. And the maddening part was, we could point to examples of the same date in the same brand of plastic that had worse eye appeal and more overall marks and wear but yet were given a higher assigned grade. There appeared to be no consistency to the grading at all, so it's not like one could discern a pattern and predict what would happen on the next submission.

Has that phenomenon changed? Like I said before, I personally don't know.

I do know that I see still a lot of variation in the appearance of coins of the same grade in the same brand of plastic. And this problem isn't limited to one TPG. I see 65s with CAC stickers that look noticeably worse than some of my 63s that I can't get CACed to save my life. I mean, I get it that "grading is subjective", but at what point does subjectivity become an excuse rather than a legitimate reason?

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2018 5:19AM

Cary! Those 2 coins I purchased were graded in the same time frame as the 1899-O VG10 in my other example. The 05-O above is a net graded coin as it is easily a 15+....but that coin just screams I have been dipped or cleaned several times. I have no explanation for the 07-S! Poor surfaces and no where near a 35 detail wise!

I just went through my sales last year doing taxes. I sold at least 10 coins last year quickly on ebay just like I did the 99-O but didn't put offer higher grade coins to choose from at the same price. My usual title for that 1899-O would be "1899-O Barber half PCGS VG10 Really!" I price the coins at what I normally would be able to sell for the grade they really are less the cost to resubmit. Quite Frankly I'm getting quite tired this! Go look at some of my 58's and compare them to another fella's 58+'s. Most of them are nice but a few just make me very frustrated after spending 1000's of dollars trying to get the coins I know should + into + holders!

@BarberFanatic said:

@amwldcoin said:
    Tightening Standards? This is directed at you and @Barberfanatic! They are throwing tough standards at some and giving gifts to others! I bought 2 coins I wouldn't usually buy at the last show to help show not every coin is equal in plastic!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302661339471

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302661334553

This is where Darrell and I agree completely. "Not every coin is equal in plastic" is absolutely correct. Maybe they are "tightening standards" lately. I just don't have enough information to form an opinion one way or another on that since I personally haven't submitted a coin for grading in several years. However, I do know that "back in the day" Darrell and I would meet up once a month at a local coin show and he would show me some of his head-scratchers. Coins that he has submitted for grading that easily should have made a particular grade and had exceptional eye appeal for that grade, and they would come back a grade, or in some cases, two grades lower than what they should have graded. And the maddening part was, we could point to examples of the same date in the same brand of plastic that had worse eye appeal and more overall marks and wear but yet were given a higher assigned grade. There appeared to be no consistency to the grading at all, so it's not like one could discern a pattern and predict what would happen on the next submission.

Has that phenomenon changed? Like I said before, I personally don't know.

I do know that I see still a lot of variation in the appearance of coins of the same grade in the same brand of plastic. And this problem isn't limited to one TPG. I see 65s with CAC stickers that look noticeably worse than some of my 63s that I can't get CACed to save my life. I mean, I get it that "grading is subjective", but at what point does subjectivity become an excuse rather than a legitimate reason?

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim - Your quarters look great in that Raymond board.

Craig - Great buys at $25 each, better than the stock market.

Jeff - Great find on your 98-S half. Amazing that it was raw.

Darrell - Why complain about the inconsistencies of the grading services? That's never going to change. And you know there is no rhyme nor reason about why one coin makes a plus, and another doesn't.

Cary - I think tastes are the same now as when you left. Some people like white coins, some like lots of color, original or otherwise, and some like light original haze.

Scodal - Welcome to the barber mega-thread. Continued success with your barber dimes. It's a great hobby.

Yacorie1 - I'm a big fan of the VF look of barber coinage as well.

Pics for this PM, a couple with the look from my raw set:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Vern- I always look forward to your posts. You're the consummate diplomat!

I like the '14 S Quarter-what's going on with the mintmark? It's a big mushy looking pile.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

I like the '14 S Quarter-what's going on with the mintmark? It's a big mushy looking pile.

14-S quarters are notorious for having a filled-in mint mark, even on high grade examples. Take a look at these two examples:

PCGS 66+

PCGS 66

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

Nice Quarters.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2018 8:33PM

@JeffMTampa said:

Jeff, It is actually a rare find to get a clear mintmark! with the '14-S. Clear mintmark should bring a slight premium but I am not sure anyone is looking for one. For me, it is close on the order of a legitimate variety.

Vern, That '14-S with that look is awesome! I don't think I have ever seen one better in that VF-35? grade looking like that... here is my '14-S in PC40:

In my opinion, this is the perfect look for a mid-grade quarter:

• Tim

• Options

Have you seen one????

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Jeff, It is actually a rare find to get a clear mintmark! with the '14-S. Clear mintmark should bring a slight premium but I am not sure anyone is looking for one. For me, it is close on the order of a legitimate variety.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Have you seen one????

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Well, there is mushy and "less mushy" as well as half and half mushy to a point it almost looks like an S/S is in there...

"Less Mushy" or sharper... there are varying degrees of sharpness but I believe is more "clear"

Then you have this weird half-n-half type:

Images courtesy of Heritage Auctions

• Options
    edited March 15, 2018 9:24PM

Here is another where the lower loop of the S is distinguishable from the center of the S and not run together... tough to find and not in the majority:

Darrell may be right in that "clear" may be too strong in descriptive language but I personally see a difference here vs. the typical "blob" (as with my previously shown PCGS XF40 example).

• Options

I debated whether to show this '14-S... similar "less mushy" type as another example due to a bit of pixelation

• Options

That 1st one is probably as close as you are going to get. Almost makes you wonder if maybe it was an added S!

Some have been missed by the grading services. Years ago a friend of mine sold a 27-S Buffalo Nickel in PCGS 64. The dealer he sold it to cracked it out trying for a 65. This time it came back added S. Man what a fiasco that was to witness!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    That 1st one is probably as close as you are going to get. Almost makes you wonder if maybe it was an added S!

Some have been missed by the grading services. Years ago a friend of mine sold a 27-S Buffalo Nickel in PCGS 64. The dealer he sold it to cracked it out trying for a 65. This time it came back added S. Man what a fiasco that was to witness!

Wow, now THAT is a set of conversations / confrontations I would like to have seen!

• Options

Here's the mm from my lowly F 15 '14 S:

• Options

Great coins you guys are posting. I don't stray much outside of the halves but I'm going to pay attention now that you all have pointed out the MM on that quarter.

• Options

It's funny the mintage of the 14-S Quarter is the same as the 16-D Dime, but no where near the price.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2018 11:57PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    It's funny the mintage of the 14-S Quarter is the same as the 16-D Dime, but no where near the price.

The '14-S has made good price guide advances over the last decade (^111% in F12 per PCGS) perhaps but as a rule is overlooked. Not king of the series like with the Mercuries. Not as much attention - that is reserved for the big 3

• Options

I have a queston for you guys regarding selling coins, since some of you do a lot of it. Is ebay the best avenue for unloading a bunch of coins (lower grade, raw)? I have a bunch of low grade coins that I'd love to unload to put into other coins but reading the ebay threads make me think its not worth it.

Some of them would be worth a couple bucks (early large cents, key barbers, some seated etc.). The last thing I want to do is have to deal with returns and issues on the bay.

Thanks in advance

• Options

The most important skill needed for selling on ebay is taking detailed, accurate photos. Can you do this?

@Yacorie1 said:
    I have a queston for you guys regarding selling coins, since some of you do a lot of it. Is ebay the best avenue for unloading a bunch of coins (lower grade, raw)? I have a bunch of low grade coins that I'd love to unload to put into other coins but reading the ebay threads make me think its not worth it.

Some of them would be worth a couple bucks (early large cents, key barbers, some seated etc.). The last thing I want to do is have to deal with returns and issues on the bay.

Thanks in advance

• Options

@Yacorie1 said:

Thanks in advance

The BST forum might be a good option to explore. Fee free. Possibly bundle up some stuff. Darrell is correct in that good photos make a lot of difference. Good luck

• Options

Thanks for the responses. I think I can take photographs good enough to show exactly what you are getting. Maybe I'll take a bunch of pictures of coins and start on the BST.

• Options

@Yacorie1 said:
    Thanks for the responses. I think I can take photographs good enough to show exactly what you are getting. Maybe I'll take a bunch of pictures of coins and start on the BST.

Any Barber Dime varieties??? :) I've been known to collect those. B)

• Options

Here are some sample photos that I would hope are good enough for people to see what they are getting

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Yacorie1 said:

Any Barber Dime varieties??? :) I've been known to collect those. B)

I honestly would have no idea.

• Options

I purchased a couple of PCGS slabbed Barber Halves from Heritage in January with unattributed varieties. They were sent to PCGS a few weeks ago for re-holder and variety attribution and returned a few days ago. Here's the 1909 Inverted S:

• Options

Nice coin. I remember picking one of these up without realizing what it was. I had posted it on another barber thread that MFH had started on cointalk - and he pointed out to me that it was an inverted S mintmark.

You take some great photos

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file