Home U.S. Coin Forum

What would you grade this 1884-S Morgan?

cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 5, 2017 7:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Edited to resize images.

Comments

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU. Not even close to what's needed to get one of these graded Uncirculated.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 58 from the images. Nice coin.

The more you VAM..

Let's see, so far two members are at $1900 - $2300, one is at $9000 - $13,000, and one is at $35,000. What's it worth dealers?

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine.....or 58.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

63 was my first thought.

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

au58

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at AU-58 as well. At least that is what I am reading in the images.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say 58 but that is heavily influenced by knowing that an 84-S is about 100 times more likely to be a 58 than a 62 or 63.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 imo

Collector, occasional seller

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 63 to me, possibly pl if it's there. Hard to tell from the images.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭

Wear on the devices, wear in the fields.

58 tops.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

In a lucky day, 58+

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would grade it too expensive for me to buy raw

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that you are dreaming about a Mint State grading number, but it's an AU-58 because of minor rub in the obverse fields, especially on the left side in front of Ms. Liberty's face. Sorry.

The chances of getting lucking and receiving a slab Mint State grade are not good IMO. The graders know about the price jump for Mint State 1884-S dollar too, and don't give them out easily.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭

I agree that the coin should grade AU58.

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, just not technically uncirculated.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the hits on the eagle's breast will hold it back to 55.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

55 or so; PCGS may be tougher than NGC.

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going with a straight grade I'll say it's graded 58. I have one very similar to this and the rub in the obverse fields is what holds it back. Graders are very strict on this date. If I am correct and it is a 58, save your money on trying to upgrade. JMO
    Nice coin none the less.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say AU58

Coins & Currency
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

• BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.

@BillJones said: "...but it's an AU-58 because of minor rub in the obverse fields, especially on the left side in front of Ms. Liberty's face. Sorry. "

Bill, do you think that is "friction rub" in the field or just more of the hazy residue seen on the cheek to hide the rub and marks on the obverse. I am asking this as I did not realize the field is one of the first places to look for a loss of luster = AU.

IMHO, the fields on the reverse are fully lustrous with the only "discolored" surface due to loss of luster on the breast. Hard for me to imagine full field luster on one side and wear on much of the field on the other.

Nevermind, I guess I'm being picky with my question as I don't consider myself in your league. No matter, we both agree it is AU and thank for your lesson!

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luster looks off. Could you post more pictures at an angle?

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@metalmeister said:

Looks semi-PL. Possibly has been slightly dipped before but surfaces don't look altered. That said, we're only going off of one set of images on a higher grade coin of a date that is notoriously played with to attempt deception of an even higher grade. Nice pieces are still out there raw though.

The more you VAM..
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scuffy cheek and field. AU58 at best.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even with luster off. Pretty nice 84S for sure.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55.... could go 58 in hand... the obverse will hold it back... Cheers, RickO

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 12:38PM

@BillJones said:
    I know that you are dreaming about a Mint State grading number, but it's an AU-58 because of minor rub in the obverse fields, especially on the left side in front of Ms. Liberty's face. Sorry.

I would actually be happy with AU58. My concern was a genuine holder. Maybe I am being a little paranoid... I'm hoping for a straight grade.

@metalmeister said:

I would need to send it off to have someone else image it. I sent this piece off to Shane a few years ago, and these were his images. My personal photography skills are lacking.

Thank you all! My first concern was that it might end up in a genuine holder because this is a date that is often played with by coin doctors. Since enough people think it has a good shot at AU58, I will submit it to our host and ask for True Views.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au55 with PCGS, but I hope you get a 58!!!

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the images I'll wager 58.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

I didn't realize it was graded. I think it is in an AU-55 slab.

If I worked at NGC or PCGS, I should send it to the next grader as an AU-53. If I owned the grading service, I should want it slabbed as either AU-50 or AU "details" Altered Surface.

@Insider2 said:
    I didn't realize it was graded. I think it is in an AU-55 slab.

That's not an ICG slab you're seeing, just a generic holder.

@cameonut2011 said: "That's not an ICG slab you're seeing, just a generic holder."

I didn't think it was ICG as their insert is different. I thought it was PCGS.

edited August 6, 2017 12:56PM

@Insider2 said:
    @cameonut2011 said: "That's not an ICG slab you're seeing, just a generic holder."

I didn't think it was ICG as their insert is different. I thought it was PCGS.

Nope. This was truly plucked from the wild.

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

Well prep it and send her in!

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us know how it comes back.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

Market grading system MS63...........subjective tough TPG 60. I have seen 84-s with rub go for $$$ over 63 money. At least they ask for $$ over 63 money.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    Market grading system MS63...........subjective tough TPG 60. I have seen 84-s with rub go for $$$ over 63 money. At least they ask for $$ over 63 money.

If the graders do that, it will be a huge departure from the past.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

MS60

Don't quote me on that.

• LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

That looks very much like an 84-S I saw recently. In fact I'm wondering if it's the same time. In hand, just like in the picture, it looked AU-58.

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have hinted at, I'd like to see this one in hand just to see what that schmutzy stuff is on the cheek and over the obverse fields. I'm "feeling" the reverse, that's nice. Depending on that smudging cra-, I would go 58 probably. If it cleaned off and the cheek was better than I suspect, maybe 60/1.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file