Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    BarberFanatic... and "enjoying what I have" is enhanced by how it is displayed... what is your preference Cary?

If you mean what houses my coins, I have PCGS, NGC, and ANACS plastic wrapped around them. I don't discriminate. Nice coins speak for themselves regardless of what company did the encapsulating.

I don't make it a habit of displaying my coins. I show photos, but not the coins themselves. As such, slab boxes tend to fit in SDBs better than albums do.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I can post my recent lightly toned 1892 quarter;

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Very nice. What did our hosts think of her?

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:
    Very nice. What did our hosts think of her?

AU58

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking 1892 Quarter, and a Type I to boot!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 05S quarter is one of the most attractive Barber coins I've seen....yes, I'm sure MFH will like it too!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cary - That is one stunning barber quarter. No wonder you couldn't say no. And I think your collecting philosophy is spot on.

Jeff & oih8 - Very attractive barbers.

Pics for this PM, another tough date newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I received my CD from Valente151 - mostly Quarters -
    I'm still fighting a chest cold - so - it'll be a few days before
    I post anything...not to worry - it'll be well worth it....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2017 12:46AM

@Walkerguy21D said:
    That 05S quarter is one of the most attractive Barber coins I've seen....yes, I'm sure MFH will like it too!

I don't have the 05-S in 58...just a 53.......edit.....can't find any of my 05-S's.....

Here's a nice 09-O, and in my opinion, the nicest AU in existence !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Here's another Barber I recently purchased:

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2017 8:08PM

Mike, the image you posted is not an '05-S in 53. I see the extremely rare '09-O in 58. Wow!

Cary, Another one? How many do you got?

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Mike, the image you posted is not an '05-S in 53. I see the extremely rare '09-O in 58. Wow!

Cary, Another one? How many do you got?

Of what? Barber Quarters? I own five.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

Regardless of what period of time and what things BarberFanatic has collected or is collecting, one thing always stays the same. Superior looking coins!

PS I still miss the barber half site with Elysium playing in the background. I wish I could visit that site every day and just relax.

• Options
    edited July 1, 2017 1:05AM

@LogPotato said:
    Regardless of what period of time and what things BarberFanatic has collected or is collecting, one thing always stays the same. Superior looking coins!

PS I still miss the barber half site with Elysium playing in the background. I wish I could visit that site every day and just relax.

Thanks, Justin. I appreciate it. Maybe one day I'll revive the Barber site. Who knows.

• Options

I'll sign-up to it!

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Cary - ...A wonderful 1905-S.

I just picked up a upgrade to a wonderful AU-55 that Vern passed to me. This is a PC 58.

Craig

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love shopping at Vern's "store". What a nice guy!!!!

• Options

Last week I received another raw submission back from our hosts, most of them Barbers. Some filled a hole or upgraded an existing coin in the set. Here's a 1914 S Dime that came back in an AU 53 holder:

This upgrades a 45 in my set. This is a tough date to find raw (without problems) in AU.

• Options

Cary - Your '97 is another beauty. Look forward to seeing the other 3.

Craig - Congratulations on the upgrade of the 55 you got from me (which was from Doug's collection).

Jeff - You have the magic.

One of the best parts of our hobby is that different collectors have different tastes and there is no right or wrong. Me, I'll choose this one, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

As I mentioned a while back, Valente151 was finally able to send me a disc with the images
    he took last July 4th...lol...a year ago !!

Regardless....I'll add a few images just to keep this Thread rolling along !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

A lot of beautiful coins, Mike! :)

• Options

Here's another raw find that came back from our hosts last week, a 1899 S now in a PC AU 58 holder:

It seems as though most of the dimes with mm are tough to find in nice raw condition. It's amazing how many tampered coins are floating around.

• Options
    edited July 3, 2017 6:06AM

There is always something beautiful when gazing at Barber coinage with luster and full details. Nice Jeff.

Mike, Nice grouping of Barbers in the images you have provided. The colors are amazing!

Vern, As always, the halves you bring out are very pleasing. Hardly ever see that consistent level of quality - the ones you have been showing us images on outside of your close circle of friends.

• Options
    edited July 3, 2017 8:01AM

Thanks, Tim.

I'll stick with Quarters for the time being until I've posted all the new images.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Sorry to interupt Mikes beautiful parade of color, but I thought your eyes might need a distraction. Here's another dime raw find) that just returned from our hosts, a '14 D in a XF 45 holder with a bunch of die cracks and breaks on the reverse:

The mint got their money's worth out of that reverse die. It's fun to just look around and find all the things wrong with the reverse; it reminds me of a Highlights magazine feature from when I was a kid.

Since PCGS doesn't attribute coins like this perhaps the BCCS should? We could sticker coins like CAC.

• Options

Like the idea Jeff

• Options

Vern - Love those 55's

PC 55

Craig

• Options

Vern
    Your 09 quarter is outstanding.
    Mike
    Has the 97-O been to CAC?
    Nice color

• Options
    edited July 3, 2017 12:54PM

Mike, If you keep that going, I am going to break my 'like' button from overuse! Is that a tinge of light purple or lavender on that '96-O? Not clear from the pic.

• Options
    edited July 3, 2017 1:47PM

Tim...more like light lavender...

@No Headlights said:
    Vern
    Your 09 quarter is outstanding.
    Mike
    Has the 97-O been to CAC?
    Nice color

Jim...It has and I bought it because of the toning pattern.
    I'm on the hunt for an AU 58 that comes close in toning...

I have cherry picked out a good half dozen MS Quarters
    as I had duplicate AU 58's. These MS Quarters will be in
    Denver's Heritage sale.

The main focus of this set was AU 58's - CAC - if they accepted them.
    I'll post a Thread on the BST of my upcoming coins selling in August.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Tim & Jim - Thanks.

Mike - Lots of beauties. Mike V does a good job on the pics.

Craig - Me too.

Pics for this PM, another 55 that I really like:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern- The '98 S Quarter has the shield clash lines inside the ear to boot; nice! Does anyone else have one with that die clash?

• Options

Happy 4th of July everyone!

The Barber Quarter market is relatively weak in the AU to MS64 grades, especially non-semi-keys & keys. If you can find them it may be a time to pick a few up.

PC 58's

Craig

• Options
    edited July 4, 2017 6:22PM

Craig.... Two very nice 58's from Stacks'Baltimore sale. Ya done real good !!

Also...nice new avatar !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Here's another one of my recent pickups, a 1900 S Dime that came back in a PCGS AU 58 holder:

The '00 S isn't as difficult to find in raw AU as many.

• Options

All of the previous posts exude quality and color in those AU58's! Nice job fellas on all counts.

• T

• Options

Here's a couple of raw find 1893 Barber Quarters that came back from our hosts last week:

Certainly nothing exciting, but the price was right and they're decent coins.

There's an odd looking area in the field under the chin on the MS 62 coin; it look like a lamination that came off? Any other ideas?

• Options

Nice couple of coins, Jeff.

Latest Barber Images - Valente 151
    {MS Coins are being sold in Denver's ANA - HA Sale }

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Jeff - I looked through all my pics (maybe a dozen) of 98-S's, and didn't find another one with those clash lines. Interesting.

Craig - I agree. Bargains are out there to be had. But finding acceptable coins is still the trick. Congrats on the newps.

Jeff - That area on your MS62 could be a planchet flaw.

Pics for this PM, really nice toughie newp from Jim collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Mike, Seeing you only have a 45 for your 1907-S / Everyman, are you finding that date tough to pick-up in 58?

• Options

My minds not in it right now....I have a few 07-S's.... I just sold ( I think ) the 45.....
    I have an AU something as well.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Jim....love the 05-O..... o:)

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Thanks Mike. Even came with a surprise CAC sticker! Love the 01-S too. Thanks again Mike.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike...Some nice quarters but d*mn! They are huge pics and it takes a while for the page to load!

Personally I am surprised PCGS 45'd that 05-O Half...not knocking it but I think if I submitted it woud be a 35...on a good day a 40. I know it's the strike and PCGS seems to flip flop on whether to award that grade to a weak strike. It is a nice coin.

• Options

Every 05-O I've owned has been what I consider over graded. The 50 in my set is a 45 in my opinion. PCGS is very lenient with that date. Helps it's as nice as it is. Plus it's CAC'ed which surprises me even more.

• Options

I'm pretty sure my 40 and 45 I have in my sets are fully struck. I've about got the drive to photograph my 45 set! If they weren't hiding in the bank I would take pictures now! You are definitely correct though...many are graded leniently!

@No Headlights said:
    Every 05-O I've owned has been what I consider over graded. The 50 in my set is a 45 in my opinion. PCGS is very lenient with that date. Helps it's as nice as it is. Plus it's CAC'ed which surprises me even more.

• Options

No weak strike here!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file