Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1912-S PCGS MS65 Liberty Nickel showed up today. Now just need to the 1885 and 1886 in MS64 to complete that goal. Here is the sellers image. Will get it True View later.

As for the Baltimore auction, I was outbid on the only lot that interested me. I hate when they combine coins. The lot was for a 1906 and 1907 PCGS MS64 nickels. The 1906 was a nice RPD, but I had no use for the 1907 so kept my bid to the bare minimum. Would have been much more active had they been in separate lots.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

These two recently graded. The first is a 1898 FS-302. The first one I have ever cherry picked. The second is a 1906 FS-801. The grades are lower, but the first completes my "everyman" complete variety set, and the second is a registry upgrade from the genuine I had in the slot.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 4:47PM

Looking forward to better images.... That date ( 1912-S ) in MS eludes me, primarily,
    due to the sloppy strikes I see. This date and MM are almost a sub-type of the
    series.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

dbldie55, the second "8" is just a bit outside (to the viewers right)...the first "8" and "9" as well.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike, I don't understand how your very choice '15-S 64+ dime got a RPM associated to the holder? Per the host's variety rules, it shouldn't have happened? educate me please! (reference: http://www.pcgs.com/varietyfaq)

Thanks. Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Mike, I don't understand how your very choice '15-S 64+ dime got a RPM associated to the holder? Per the host's variety rules, it shouldn't have happened? educate me please! (reference: http://www.pcgs.com/varietyfaq)

Thanks. Tim

I have some with the same sort of "Minor Variety" designation. Perhaps their current rule is new? I just sent one in for variety atribution that is a RPM, but I don't think it's the FS variety recognized.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

You mean there used to be a rule for Barber dimes? and now that rule is not on the list? I would like to cross-over my '97-S/S.

• Options

Tim, I'm in the dark like the rest of you...who knows.....

Another Dime addition this afternoon.... 1913-S PC 63 OGH CAC
    Sweet, if I do say so myself.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I have some with the same sort of "Minor Variety" designation. Perhaps their current rule is new? I just sent one in for variety atribution that is a RPM, but I don't think it's the FS variety recognized.

Let me know what you find out Jeff on your RPM when it returns... or whether they simply say "thank you" for the $9. and absorb the extra fundage.

• Options

@sedulous said:

Let me know what you find out Jeff on your RPM when it returns... or whether they simply say "thank you" for the $9. and absorb the extra fundage.

My guess is they won't say "Thank You", they'll just take the $$ and say nothing. We'll see.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

1913-S and 1915-S Barber dimes are both challenging to locate in choice BU condition. I agree with MFH that the 1915-S is way underrated as a date (in MS63 or better). Both of these dates are very rarely offered for sale in MS63 or better. 1914-S seems to be quit a bit easier to locate, and 1916-S is borderline common.

• Options
    edited June 23, 2017 5:05PM

The recently purchased 1897-O Barber dime came in. I took pictures where I can actually see the coin. I made out alright. I have added a pic at a tilted angle to try and bring out the rainbow colors a bit. Oohh, I can get better lighting, will try later...

Borderline between an F15 or VF20... how do you think our hosts will grade it?

• Options

• Options

@MFH said:
    Bid on one coin at Stacks - Baltimore - for my MS Dime Set.
    This date, AFAIC, is far far scarcer than most realize: 1915-S { RPD }
    PCGS MS 64 + CAC......

I'm loosing it, I typed the above two days ago..... :o

Well, good news... I won the coin at my Max bid ....plus juice.

Mike-

Are you just going out of your way to make the rest of us look bad?

• Options

Beautiful Quarter, Cary.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

A little lighter... re-imaged 1897-O dime

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of nice coins pictured here in the last day or two.

Jeff - Which one would you like to "borrow"?

Cary - Beauty. Glad to see you're back with barbers.

Tim - I agree with Jeff, 20.

Pics for this AM, from Keith, raw:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Love this! Can anyone tell me why it wouldn't CAC?

@BryceM said:
    This one lives in a 67+ holder:

• Options

• Options

Yes, that '10 Dime is a bit nice.

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2017 7:34AM

Perhaps some luster breaks not evident in the photo? Is it maybe a little darker than the photo portrays it to be?

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not darker. No luster breaks that I can see. I'm sure JA has some reason though. I'm guessing he just doesn't like the toning pattern:

Here's the TrueView for comparison:

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sedulous, what day of the week did you submit it to CAC? Your answer lies within!

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Tim - Why is that dime a 67+, rather than a 67, or a 66+, or a 66? It's just an opinion. CAC is just an opinion. Opinions can vary, depending on the day of the week as Paesan says, or who happens to make the submission IMO.

Pics for this AM, tough newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Just when I think I can spot a CAC worthy coin, my better judgement gets the better of me.... :'(

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

@paesan said:
    Sedulous, what day of the week did you submit it to CAC? Your answer lies within!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Ticked off the next to last Proof V Nickel today, it was a Monday auction at Stacks Bowers.
    1908 Nickel PCGS PR 65 and its CAC .... I think I paid a fair price....less than PCGS Guide Price.
    I like the look....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2017 11:18PM

Nice job Mike. The mellow yellow opalescent-like color is fascinating to gaze upon and is just plain beautiful on that proof V nickel!

• Options

Mike - Congratulations on the newp V Nick.

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's collection (via GingaMax), PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Jim and Vern, Nice '01-S!

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you
    Maybe I'll work on a 01-S grading set. I know where a nice resides in Illinois

• Options

Should have read nice 45. Sorry

• Options

@MFH said:
    Ticked off the next to last Proof V Nickel today, it was a Monday auction at Stacks Bowers.
    1908 Nickel PCGS PR 65 and its CAC .... I think I paid a fair price....less than PCGS Guide Price.
    I like the look....

Mike-

The holder needs a MAJOR polishing (loads of scratches) but the coin looks great!

• Options

Jim - A grading set of 01-S's would be neat.

Pics for this PM, a couple of halves recently photographed, that were unearthed from Paesan's Stash, PC55 and PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Has anyone ever done a "reed count" of Barber Coinage to see if the different mints used different reed counts as they did on the Morgan dollars? Sure would like to know..

• Options

@Grandpa1892 said:
    Has anyone ever done a "reed count" of Barber Coinage to see if the different mints used different reed counts as they did on the Morgan dollars? Sure would like to know..

A very good question; if only my eyesight was good enough to see them.....

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counting Reeds is a major pain in the arse! I come up with a different number every time! :#

@Grandpa1892 said:

• Options

Grandpa - Interesting question. Welcome to the Barber Mega-Thread.

Pics for this AM, from Keith (can also be seen in the BST), raw:

Vern
    l
  • Options

A beautiful coin- is it raw?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    A beautiful coin- is it raw?

No, slabbed by our hosts.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2017 10:52AM

I was going to show my latest TruView from our host...but not after BarberFanatic (Coinaholic) 1905-S 25C...I'll wait till the page turns.

Incredible rim toning!

• Options

Wow on the 05-S quarter. Hammered strike, fabulous fields. Congrats.
    Jim

• Options

When I look at the reverse of that '05 S Quarter I think of Judy Garland singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" for some reason.......

• Options

From the top view, a rainbow tornado! goodness! amazing. Hayes' - I'm sure he loves it having an eye for color.

• Options

That's a real attention getter....

You can enjoy that coin all by itself and not worry
    about its album neighbors. I have ( or, have had ) a
    few who stack up nicely with that 05-S....it's always a
    real treat to see others, however.

Nice one Cary.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

It appears as though everyone is afraid to post after Cary's Amazing Rainbow coin, so I'll gie it a shot:

I've had this coin in my set for a few years; it was a raw find. The toning isn't for everyone, and isn't remotely in the same league as the '05S Quarter, but I like the look.

• Options

@MFH said:
    That's a real attention getter....

You can enjoy that coin all by itself and not worry
    about its album neighbors. I have ( or, have had ) a
    few who stack up nicely with that 05-S....it's always a
    real treat to see others, however.

Nice one Cary.

Thanks, Mike.

Since I've changed up my collecting focus over the past few years I've managed to get some very pretty coins that, before the change, I wouldn't have even considered purchasing. The 05-S is a perfect example of that. I was always focused on set building within a very narrow mid-grade range (VF-XF). Now I just buy what I like as long as (1) it's a classic coin, (2) the look is above average (to me) for a typical example of the same grade, and (3) the price doesn't break the bank. If I have to pause to question if I'm going to be happy with the look of a coin long term, I pass. Some coins just "speak to you" when you see them for the first time and you can't help but buy them. The 05-S was that way for me.

My goal is no longer to try to build complete sets of a specific series. I collect all over the map now. But it's funny... for the first time in a very, very long time I'm having fun and enjoyment with the hobby as opposed to it being some sort of competition to get specific coins or dates before another collector does. I'm finding that rather than looking through my collection to see what dates I'm missing or needing to find a more eye-appealing upgrade for, now I'm simply enjoying looking at ALL of my coins for their eye-appeal.

To paraphrase Vern, the hobby is no longer about pursuing something I want; it's about enjoying what I have.

• Options

BarberFanatic... and "enjoying what I have" is enhanced by how it is displayed... what is your preference Cary?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file