Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

A thoughtful jeweler made this love token.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2016 2:14AM

KAJ1 - I'm newer to the thread. Tell me more about your mint set(s)? On the registry? If the other coins are as nice as the '99 dime, you are smokin'! The transition between auburn and lavender hues is fantastic on that dime!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

HoledandCreative - Off an 1895-O dime? REALLY! oh for shame... that rare date is tough enough over and beyond taking one out of the pool. It is kinda' neat but why not on a Phillie specimen or some other date? Some people or person behind that reverse carving back then didn't know probably.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

UMCane - Tons of luster on your type newp.

Jeff - Send them in raw 6 months from now and you'll probably get 58's.

Craig - Those two need a cooler climate, I think they need to stay up north.

Mike - Probably not your week to play the lottery either. I saw that 96-S in 53 in hand in Baltimore, plenty of detail but no life.

KAJ - Good to have you back, and with such a beauty.

Pics for this AM, IMO this is the way a 96-S in 53 should look (why it didn't grade 55 is still a mystery). From Doug's retired set:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2016 7:36AM

Thanks Vern.
    Sedulous,
    I am the owner of the PCGS registry 1899 Mint Set, no gold. It's under Bassteeler.
    I have been through many phases in collecting. Mercs, Franklins, Wheat cents, Barber quarters.
    I liked the box of 20 philosophy, I was stretched out all over the place, and couldn't focus, so I started a 1899 Mint Set. 7 years later, here we are. Plenty of coins, not plenty of funds.
    I like the Mint set, because you still collect a variety of coins, just they are 1 date.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2016 4:14PM

I just saw new images of my 1899-S Dime - courtesy of Valente151 - I'm on my phone - first time trying to accomplish this:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Vern... Only a 53 ?? It's a mystery all right.
    That's a 55 any other day of the week. Love it !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Vern, you sure have an eye for quality surfaces and color. Like that '96-S. Where can I get one?

• Options
    edited December 20, 2016 2:17PM

Mike, Holy Smokes! Color is dancing all over that '99-S dime.

• Options

I checked the old Desk Top...Here's the same coin - images by Todd Pollock or Blue CC Photos

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I had to smile [ actually, frown...] when i saw the 1895-O Dime with the artfully
    engraved initials on the REV. I agree with Tim, its a crying shame - but not as
    much of a problem as the 1892-Micro - O- Half that was used as a brooch with
    the pin soldered onto the REV - but not obscuring the Micro O MM. I spotted that
    piece of coin jewelry here - and I made my way to the owner's table to verify its
    existence. A good friend had me do the leg work as he was stuck at work.

I've been waiting quite awhile for his authorization to display images. He has yet
    to allow images to be posted. Its too bad actually, as it'd be a perfect tie in to the
    1895-O Love Token Dime discussed earlier. Oh well.

On a bright note - I threw in a moderate maximum bid on HA today - and won a
    very pleasing 1910 V Nickel in PCGS PR 65 { No CAC, Yet }

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Holed - That was a thoughtful jeweler. At least he didn't use a '94-S.

Tim - Doug is the one with the great eye, who found the 96-S in 53. His wonderful collection of barber qtrs was #1 in the registry when he sold it to me last year. The 96-S now resides with a collector friend in Ohio.

Mike - That's one beautiful 99-S dime, but your phone doesn't do it any favors. Is there another Micro O besides Joe's that was jewelry? Nice '10 V Nick newp, also.

Pics for this AM, newp into Milo's collection, from Doug's set, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that's sure a great looking dime!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2016 8:17AM

Vern, I am glad you are keeping track of that '96-S... keep doing so! BTW, that '13-D isn't too shabby either - great catch Milo!

Mike, Quality speaks loudly with that proof '10 Nickel... I like the pristine-ness of the surfaces and an only ever-so-slight imperfection on Liberty's neck there - really minor. The coin looks almost like it recently was freshly minted!

KAJ1, I appreciate your visit to "THE" Thread. I never really thought of it that way before... going high-end for one year set instead of more generic, lower expensed purchases. I took a look out there at what you have so far on the registry. Being a quarter-focused collector, I will comment that the '99-P you have is really special. The cent looks very close to a freshly-minted state! (reminds me of my '86 Type 1 which has a story better suited for an Indian Head Cent thread). Thanks for contributing to this Thread...

-Tim

• Options

I purchased a couple of new Barber Dimes in holders a couple of weeks back. Fisrt a PCGS AU 58 1908 S 10C:

And a PCGS AU 53 1909 D 10C:

I'm making some headway on a Barber Dime set, but I still don't know how serious I am about them. What I do like about the, however, is there are still nice raw AU to MS ones floating around that haven't been messed with, and they're a LOT less expensive than halves.

• Options
    edited December 21, 2016 11:00AM

Jeff, If you keep picking up ones like you have just posted, you'll end up with a nice set for sure... did you get your '95-O yet?

p.s. the '09-D obv didn't display on my device

• Options

No '95 O 10C in my set! Before I spend the $$$$$ one an AU '95 O Dime I'll be purchasing an AU '97 S Half!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    No '95 O 10C in my set! Before I spend the $$$$$ one an AU '95 O Dime I'll be purchasing an AU '97 S Half!

Why didn't you jump on that one in the Legend auction???? I doubt there will be another that cheap but who knows!

• Options

Vern - I more than completely agree with you (as probably many on the thread do as well) that it is certainly a mystery why Doug's 96-S did not make the 55 grade. I don't know what to say other than I'm stunned ... someone must've had an ax to grind in the grading room that day. I don't get it.

sedulous - Thanks again for the comment on my newp, the 13-D in 58 from Doug's set. This data/MM is quickly becoming one of my personal favorites.

Jeff - Keep plugging away on the dimes. Are you have way there yet? Seems like you should be getting close ... and, for what it's worth, I agree with you with your priority on the 97-S half. I sense one will pop-up when you least expect it.

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2016 2:38PM

@amwldcoin said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Why didn't you jump on that one in the Legend auction???? I doubt there will be another that cheap but who knows!

You pick the option you think fits:
    A. I didn't know about the coin available at the Legends Auction.
    B. I spent WAY too much $$ in 2016- I'm tapped.
    C. I have a raw one cracked out of a SEGS 61 holder that I think will eventually grade 58.
    D All of the above.

• Options

@All Swede said:
    Jeff - Keep plugging away on the dimes. Are you have way there yet? Seems like you should be getting close ... and, for what it's worth, I agree with you with your priority on the 97-S half. I sense one will pop-up when you least expect it.

Good guess- my Everyman and Basic Dime sets are 48.7% complete.

• Options

Milo, Doug, Vern et.al. I love the inner-circle you have... how you are getting that sublime connection to some of the coolest coins I have ever enjoyed seeing is beyond me! Since, for one run, I am pulling together nice mid-grade quarters from VF30 (if they look like undergrades) to XF45's with 40's being the sweet spot, I hope you all would consider me when you find upgrades! to put into Everyman sets. I have two runs playing right now... the second run is in F12 to VF20/25 for the Wayne Raymond album (the other grouping I am trying to accomplish because I want to be like Vern) ! and have an old-time display.

• Tim

• Options

Jeff - Good for you on your dime set. Hang in there!!

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Meanwhile, at the opposite end of the spectrum, I continue to be flummoxed by the lack of available options for nice original dirt/tobacco toned Halves in Fine-ish for certain dates like 1892P, 93P & 96P and 1895S and 1899S for my '92-06 Whitman set.
    It's funny the things you assume are easy until you search cus you have an album to fill.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice 1902, dogwood.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

dogwood - hey, I really appreciate that insight about the difficulty in acquiring early Philly halves. I am researching the early Phillies in half dollars for a future article. The '02-P looks just about perfect for the grade... nice!

• T

• Options

Dogwood,Did you come up with a 95? That was the last F I acquired for my set and had to pay strong!

• Options

I know the early years Phila Halves are very tough to find in collector grade.
    Tons of worn down slicks are kicking around... Some one told me they bought
    a roll of early Halves - and Lo & Behold - there was an AG Micro O in the group.
    I saw the images - you could barely discern the MM.

The 1894 was a tougher date for me, rather than the 1895.

I now own one 1894 Phila Half - ex: Barry Sunshine - in PCGS 58 - might send it
    back in one day for a 58+.... then again...nah.... :p

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Tom and Tim thanks for the comments.
    Darrell yes I managed a suitable plug for the '95P hole. Has the look anyway, matches well with its immediate sisters.

• Options

dogwood, oh man - is that picture of a portion of your Barber (graded F-ish or "Fish") half set awesome looking... very handsome. I would love to see more of the holed slots you have there!

• T

• Options

Fish grade. Love it.

• Options
    edited December 22, 2016 12:03PM

Wow. Pretty! Thanks for sharing again! Especially love the look of that '00-O. The '93-S on the previous set is difficult to acquire with that exquisite look to it. Actually, they are all fantastic. The book really sets off the set very nicely! Now we need to find you a stellar '96-P!

• T

• Options

Well looks like my thoughts were correct. 9+ grades were added to the pops and the other 2 01-S's are back. Evidently Brad owns 2! Looks like I should send mine back in again. They are sure being generous with Brad and + grades.

• Options

Jeff - Congrats on the 2 dime newps. And have you posted a pic of your 97-S half from the SEGS 61 holder?

Tim - I'm sure a quarter (or 3) from our little group of barber qtr fanatics, of which Paesan is an integral member, will come your way down the line. What a great hobby.

Dennis - Really good to have you post what you've been collecting lately. Such nice coins (no surprise there). I'm with Tim on that 1900-O.

Darrell - Better get your submission in while our hosts are in the Christmas spirit.

Pics for this AM, tough half acquired from dogwood many years ago, now in Paesan's Stash, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this AM, plus grade qtr in Paesan's Stash, PC58+:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2016 9:16AM

Always a pleasure, Dogwood, seeing your coins. Love coins in Whitman Albums,
    navy blue and silver look great together ! The 01-S looks to be a strong VF. Hard
    to tell from the images.

So, that's what an au58+ Quarter looks like !!?? Very nice coin, Paesan. Tell us, do
    your customers pay you in old Barbers ? Sure seems like it. Also, love the 05-O Half
    in 50 that came from Dogwood. I bet Logpotato is drooling over that one ! So, am I !!

Have a very Merry Christmas everyone ! Healthy and Happy New Year and hope to
    see a lot of you at FUN. I'll be at the meeting on Friday, until then, save the coal you
    get, it's gonna be a cold Winter. ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Merry Christmas everyone! (from Tiny Tim)

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Vern- what's the green dot on the edge of the shield right above the eagles hip of that 58+? Beautiful coin

Merry Christmas Eve barber buddies!!!

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Thanks Vern and Mike for the comments.
    It's always fun to be a part of the barber posting.
    Yes the 01-s is a nice VF30, and along with a near XF 97-o, are two coins I hadn't ever sent in to get graded, figuring I'd actually keep them if they weren't in liquidity-tombs. I wanted to anchor a set with them.
    Always inspired by Verns B quarter raw set that gets posted from time to time.
    I agree about the Whitman book. Started off in a Library of Coins book and like the format and cream pages. But it only goes to 1903.
    Changed to Whitman to include the 04 & 05 coins. It goes to 06.
    I'm not doing book 2 because in these grades there really isn't much remarkably special after the midway point IMO.
    Happy Holidays.

• Options

@mrkbrown87 said:
    Vern- what's the green dot on the edge of the shield right above the eagles hip of that 58+? Beautiful coin

That green dot must be a transference of sorts - I see it on a lot of coins posted. Some of my pics
    have that emerald dot ... cant figure it out - because in hand - it isn't there - just an anomaly I guess.

Dogwood - thanks for giving the background on the Whitman album - and I think your 01-S is tops !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I fell into a group of nice Nickels - I hope the owner reads the PM's before
    someone starts claiming them for their own... :o

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@MFH said:

@mrkbrown87 said:

That green dot must be a transference of sorts - I see it on a lot of coins posted. Some of my pics
    have that emerald dot ... cant figure it out - because in hand - it isn't there - just an anomaly I guess.

Dogwood - thanks for giving the background on the Whitman album - and I think your 01-S is tops !!

@MFH said:

@mrkbrown87 said:

I only see it on a few of Verns pics. Maybe something from the camera?

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Sharp eyes on the Green Spot Mark! :smiley:

Merry Christmas Everyone!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Well looks like my thoughts were correct. 9+ grades were added to the pops and the other 2 01-S's are back. Evidently Brad owns 2! Looks like I should send mine back in again. They are sure being generous with Brad and + grades.

I just took a look at Brads Half set- WOW. He must be going for a complete 58+ set. I wish I could see the coins either in photos or live; maybe if I volunteer to travel to Nebraska and photograph them for him?

Merry Christmas to all!

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

I just took a look at Brads Half set- WOW. He must be going for a complete 58+ set. I wish I could see the coins either in photos or live; maybe if I volunteer to travel to Nebraska and photograph them for him?

Merry Christmas to all!

Ditto! I would love to see them also!

I personally don't think a 58+ complete set is possible unless PCGS loosens their standards....which wouldn't surprise me.

• Options

Sounds like a road trip. You're on my way; I'll pick you up.

• Options

Let's Go! I'll even bring my set for a show down! :smiley:

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait until Spring Jeff and Darrell. Stop in Iowa for a visit also.

• Options
  • Options

Hey, What about us Illinois guys? its on the way to Iowa!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file