Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Jeff being from Louisiana and lives in new Orleans for a while I wasn't a seriouscollector back then because all I worried about was chasing girls but I also had visions of finding old NO gold coins after Katrina laying under one of the destroyed homes but never found anything of course. I'd love to see pics of those halves.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Sry for lack of punctuation. Kinda in a hurry

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2016 2:15AM

Beyond the tough 1899-S quarter in mid-grade VF, the 1892-S is another one of those difficult acquisitions you just can't seem to get nice. Here is a nice light to dark halo Barber Quarter in low-end VF (PC20):

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    edited November 17, 2016 6:37PM

I had a '14-D I purchased from Mike Capawan in NGC F-15 back in August 2011. Recently pulled off of Ebay a slightly higher graded specimen than the one from Keshequa Rare Coins. Should arrive tomorrow so I can see it in hand. Here is the seller's pic:

• Options

I was browsing Heritage and saw this baby. Athough I coukd never afford this grade I would love to have a nice F-VF

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff - You had me going there with your New Orleans search.

Tim - I agree, the 92-S is a tough coin in VF-XF. Nice one BTW. Lot's of crust on your new 14-D.

Mark - Saw that 01-S in hand at HLRC's table in Baltimore. Previous to that, it spent several years in the possession of dealer Jim Crabtree. The auction pictures don't tell the whole story. I'd strongly recommend anyone who might be thinking about bidding on this coin to see it in hand (how's that for diplomacy?).

Pics for this AM, from my raw set:

This '01-P fills the 01-S hole in my Raymond boards.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Vern- i didn't get to see it in hand because they were already gone Sunday. I would say by the pics the coin is over graded but that's my opinion.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, I saw it in hand and I also think it is an XF.

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Paesan- the 05-O PC-40 I used to own(ex-Scott) looked better in my opinion. I wish I could find that coin again.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Btw-barbwr biddies that's the coin I am actively searching at this time in grades between 40-58+. If anyone happens to run across one and could give me the lead it would be appreciated.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrkbrown87 said:
    Btw-barbwr biddies that's the coin I am actively searching at this time in grades between 40-58+. If anyone happens to run across one and could give me the lead it would be appreciated.

Are you looking for an XF to AU 1905 O Half? If so, good luck. That's a VERY tough one to find. I looked very hard for several years before I found a raw one listed on eBay as MS; it came back in a 58 holder:

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Jeff-. My bad I should have clarified. Quarter my friend. It's equally as tough but I don't know a whole lot about the halfs

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Mark, Lenny - Even though in a PC holder, that '01-S surface quality doesn't set well with me. I think Alan Greenspan's phrase he termed as "irrational exuberance" comes to mind and is relevant here in this instance after viewing it. Perhaps enthusiasm would increase if I would be able to view it in hand? don't know. I think Vern said it well earlier... if the coin is right, I don't care what holder it is in.

Vern - Incredible looks on both '01 specimens. How hard did you have to look to find an '01-P that almost identically looked like your '01-S for the album? nice job there... I can see similarities in the looks of both the '01-S and '01-P quarters.

Mark (2) - The closest thing I have to a 1905-O PC40 is this PC25 with CAC green bean (sorry, larger files from Heritage 2011 Rosemont auction):

... oh, just to remove confusion, I am not saying I am ready to part with it.

Jeff, Nice color on that half of yours... neat!, thanks for sharing.

• T

• Options

Here are a few bad photos of Barbers on display at the New Orleans mint. I didn't ave a good camera with me:

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff,
    I'm envious of your trip through the NO mint. Those old Capital plastic boards are classic. Need to put it on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Jeff, I can see the meat on that 97-O 1/2! It's amazing how much the grades vary on their collections!

• Options
    edited November 18, 2016 2:47PM

My 05-O Half

• Options

Darrell-

Your '05 O Half is a stunner; much nicer than mine. I paid $900 for mine; my guess is you have a bit more into yours.

I wish I could have captured better images of the Barbers at the mint. Some were F to VF condition but others were beautiful. The '09 O and '97 O looked like lock 58's with nice original surfaces. It seems a shame for these beautiful coins to be imprisioned in a display case where probably 2 or 3 people a year look at them in any sort of appreciative way.

• Options

Jeff, about triple

You shouldda offered to trade a mint employee a lower grade 97-O and some boot for theirs! :D

• Options

Jeff, Were the NO capital plastics holder on the right full of Barber Quarters? It was hard to see from the pictures... just wondering. Thanks for showing the pics. One of your pics was a beautiful shot clear on with the halves... seeing those were awesome!

• T

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

I love Oh-Five-Oh picture time. Mine had to work hard like sedulous'. This came from those super barber guys in the midwest.

photo Half 1905-O PCGS-25 obv7_zpsagbt3rhi.jpg
    photo Half 1905-O PCGS-25 rev7_zpsaxuveg1d.jpg

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Justin that is an awesome looking 05 O half. Like most coins you post, I love the look.

Also really love the raw 01 O quarter Vern posted at the top of this page. Perfect look at that grade level.

Tim, great to read through your posts, and thanks for the kind words. Your enthusiasm for Barbers really shines through in your posts. I really like the set of quarters that you are putting together.

Mark, good luck with your 05 O search. Not an easy one at all as Im sure you know. FWIW, IMHO there are a handful of 40s and 45s floating around that are thin on eye appeal. Id hold out for a nice looking original example, and thats where it really gets to be a very tough coin. I owned a few of the above mentioned XFs before finding (and paying up for) a very nice original that was overgraded in a white label AU 53 holder. It was really probably a top notch XF 45, maybe a 50. It was one of the nicest XF/AU 05 O quarters Ive personally seen for that date though. Others on this board have been looking for far longer than I have, and Vern has posted at least one that is drop dead gorgeous if my memory serves correctly. Hope you find a nice one!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Here are some pics of my old 05 O. PC 53 (but like I said, a tad overgraded IMHO).

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2016 12:43AM

Decided to sell off most of my Halves - keeping some of my favorites - like my 05-O in 45 CAC.

Image taken before it was sent to CAC:

photo 1905-O-50c-P45 copy_zpswkb3rpq0.jpg

I am too attached to my 05-O Quarter to let it ever go again. I sold it in 2011 and bought it back a year later !

My friend, Srotag, cherry picked about 20+ coins [ mostly CAC ] - and 32 coins went to Heritage
    for the auctions at FUN - some of which will be on the Weekly Auctions - I will update the BST when
    sales are about to begin.

Sorry - but there were too many people to notify about my selling. I decided the other night to sell,
    and I plan on picking up the occasional Half every so often - kept most of my favorites - some of which
    I am buried in - and I'm not going to loose any more cash than I have to...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Tim - It took a few years to find the right 01-P. There were a couple of other hole fillers until this one came along in a PC35 holder from Glen Holsonbake.

Jeff - Thanks for posting your pics from the NO mint. Besides the variety of grades, I find it interesting the way the coins are presented, some in Capital holders, some in slabs.

Great group of 05-O's posted, qtrs and halves.

Mark - Looks like Darrell has one. Perhaps it's for sale.

Justin - I've always liked your 05-O half, a perfect look IMO, from my friend Keith.

JT - Thanks on my 01-O qtr, one of several dates in my raw set that came from Brian Greer.

Mike - I can sure see why you're keeping your 05-O half. Good luck in your sale. I'll be keeping a look out.

Pics for this AM, my 05-O half, which came from Jim's first collection, before his "No Headlights" set, PC40::

Vern
    l
  • Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Jeff, about triple

You shouldda offered to trade a mint employee a lower grade 97-O and some boot for theirs! :D

I had the same idea but had no coins on me for replacement.

There was a LOT more Seated material than Barbers on display. Most of the Seated coins were in NGC holders, including about 30 shipwreck halves. All the Barbers were raw, and there were only dimes and halves. I don't believe there were any quarters. I'll look through my other photos to jog my memory and see if there's anything interesting.

• Options

Jeff, Thanks for the memories (pun intended)... long shot, I would be curious if you could have angled yourself to see if the back of that '92 half had the smaller 'o'.

Jeff, your comment... "Some were F to VF condition but others were beautiful"... I am sure you meant you 'prefer' less circulated versions! I personally also like the F's and VF's too! Those Capital holders really set-up the halves nicely... what was in the 3rd party holders in the background?

I enjoyed seeing the '05-O parade, thanks everyone!

JKT, Your PC53 '05-O quarter DIRECTLY DEMONSTRATES what I have been saying about you!

Justin, With your '05-O, now thats what I'm talkin' about!

Mike, Incredible half and quarter both. Very nice quality.

• T

• Options

JT- stunning 05-0 quarter broski. Wish I could find one with that eye appeal. Where are these XF quarters u speak of?

Vern- perhaps you still have pictures of the 05-O PC40 I bought from Scott?

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen a few examples over the years of PCGS being generous with their grading of 05-O halves. The 40 above from Vern is a 35 to me. My current 50 is a 45, my opinion. Mike's 45 is a spot on 45 though. Love that date! Very difficult to find. My current 50 was purchased raw a couple years back. Mike, I hope you do well with the sale of your halves.
    Jim
    PS JKT. Loved your 53 quarter. Probably received a little bump because of being so nice. Hang onto that one

• Options

I received a submission back from PCGS a few days ago- all raw Barbers Dimes and Halves except for 1 Liberty Nickel and one Seated Half Dime. Overall I was happy with the results. I submitted a 1905 O Quarter that I cracked out of an old white ANACS XF 45 holder. It returned in a PCGS AU 53 holder:

I didn't realize the '05 O Quarter is a tough date; I just stumbled onto this one.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2016 11:26AM

@MFH said:
    Decided to sell off most of my Halves - keeping some of my favorites - like my 05-O in 45 CAC.

Mike- I'm a little surprised, but it was clear you prefer the Nickels, Dimes, and Quarters to the Halves. I noticed you didn't "Retire" the set; it's just gone?

Good luck selling the rest! Is SROTAG starting an Everyman set?

• Options

Here's another new Quarter from my recent submission, a 1894 O that I purchased in an old ANACS white XF 45 holder, I cracked it out and submitted it raw; it came back in a XF 40 holder:
    This looks like a 45 to me, but PCGS didn't ask for my opinion. This one will go up for sale- I have a nice AU 55 already.

• Options

Here's another ANACS Quarter that I cracked out. It was purchased in a XF 40 holder but returned from PCGS in a 35 holder:

I agree with the 35 grade on this one.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2016 11:29AM

Jeff... I'm keeping some of my halves - but - most have been divided up inbetween SROTAG
    and Heritage Auctions.

I had a few Halves that I didn't like and just got disgusted with not finding them in the grades I like. { 45-53 }. To be honest, I'm a 58 type of collector - and should have realized that from the start of this last set in August, 2011.

I kept the 1893-S Half in PC 53 - CAC - and my 1898-S in PC 58 - from the Willis collection...plus the 1901 Phila in PC 64+ CAC, the 01-O in 45 CAC, and the 01-S in 53 CAC -{ that I bought from Dennis West last year }.... couldn't let the 05-O in PC 45 CAC slip away either ... I kept the 1894 Phila in PC 58 that came out of the Sunshine collection.I also kept the 1899 Phila in 58 that I got from Glenn { has the wild reverse toning } and a 1900- Phila that I bought in PC 62 that looks like the toning of my 01- in 64+. I also kept the 1913 Trio - PCGS CAC group.

Yes, I kept my 1898-O Micro O in NGC 30.

I'm sure the rest of the coins will show up sooner or later for Heritages' auctions.
    This sale frees up some needed cash for a few newps to the Quarter collection.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Jim - I agree, our hosts seem to push the grade of 05-O halves. I think they gave mine (your oldie) the benefit of the doubt because of the look.

Mark - I have pics of three of Scott's 05-O's, all are posted below. Is the 40 the one you're thinking of?

Jeff - Nice bump on your ANACS 05-O. Nice coin.

Holed - Your 99-S doesn't look like it was worn very often. Thanks for posting.

Pics for this AM, from Scott's collection, raw, PC40 and PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Whoops, they didn't post in order.

The first 2 are the raw coin. The 4th and 6th pics are the PC40. And the 3rd and 5th are the PC45.

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern- thanks for the pics. The 40 is the one I got from him and I have been looking for it for a long time. I'm my opinion it's what a 40 is supposed to look like.

I ended up snagging a few New Orleans quarters yesterday. One is 03-O in NGC 58 and it will be sent to our host for crossover towards the end of the week. The other is a 02-O in Pc 53 I'll show when I get better pics

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Nice looking holed Quarter!

Here's another newp for my Barber Quarter set, a 1905 S purchased in a PCGS AU 53 holder:

• Options

Added this Nickel for my MS set:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mark - Nice original 03-O. Congratulations.

Jeff - And to you also, for a nice pick-up of a very under rated date.

Mike - Lots of luster on your newp V. Well done.

Pics for this AM, newp into Milo's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Jeff, Good looking '94-O, '95-O quarters... really pretty. The '15-S has a Liberty profile thar really stands out from the fields. That '05-O is an important date - how in the world did you discover it with that good of a pleasing color? special coin there.

Mark, I was watching that '03-O up for sale this past week. I am glad it is going to a good home.

Mike, Agree with Vern on that nickel.

Vern, Beautiful color on that Milo '09-D! and Mark... Also love that Scott collection PC40 '05-O.

I am away from my computer until December 4th where I keep my images. In the meantime, here is my Star Wars rendition: 1892-O vs. 1892-O. Brother vs. Sister... or did I just give away episode VIII and IX?

Notice the two different O positions on these VF quarters.

Which one do you think is ex-JKT? When you choose, also tell me if you like the coin from the dark side or the light?

• T

• Options

Actually, the first of the two just doesn't reach VF for the 1892-O (light)

• Options

My recent PCGS raw submission had many Barber Dimes; here's an 1898 that returned in an AU 58 holder:

I did pay up for this one- $70. I liked the look.

• Options

And another raw find dime back from PCGS, a 1912 S in a PC AU 58 holder:

This one didn't come cheap either- $115. I liked the look on this one as well.

• Options

@mrkbrown87 said:
    Vern- thanks for the pics. The 40 is the one I got from him and I have been looking for it for a long time. I'm my opinion it's what a 40 is supposed to look like.

I ended up snagging a few New Orleans quarters yesterday. One is 03-O in NGC 58 and it will be sent to our host for crossover towards the end of the week. The other is a 02-O in Pc 53 I'll show when I get better pics

Mark-

I like that '03 Quarter; I think it should cross as a 58.

• Options

Mike- Is your new '97 5C a MS 63?

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

After several weeks of hard (work?) in the West Indies sunshine I have enjoyed browsing the last weeks of posts. There was good information and images of the 1905-1908 dated Barber Quarters as well as re-"ignition" of the 1905-O and 1907-S Barber Quarters. Thank you all. I have dug into my small coin cabinet and found a few images:

With thanks to Vern for the 05-O images

Craig

• Options

Jeff- thanks buddy I sure hope it crosses. I just gta bute the bullet and update my pcgs membership this year. The last few years I paid and never used it lol due to not collecting. Hope to send it Monday along with a few others.

Vern- thanks for the compliment. I think it looks very original also. I hope it looks as good in hand.

Craig- nice to see you post. Absolutely stunning 07-S and 05-O. Actually all of those are perfect.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file