Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2016 4:32PM

I agree with Jeff, that's one heck of a 1907-S Quarter - it took me forever to locate one for
    my current set - your's looks to be an AU 53 ? I recently sold off all my duplicate 07-S Quarters
    with Heritage at the FUN sale in July. I still have a couple which are keepers, a MS 65 which I
    bought from Harry Laibstain - and a nice AU 53 from a Heritage auction earlier this year. I am
    still scouting for another AU 58.

By the way, check out eBay - for Barber Quarters - a dozen or so were listed last night
    ( hence my Newp ) - and the seller has a slew of nice circ. Mid grade Barber Halves.

He had an 1897-S Quarter ( MM far right ) in PCGS 58 - Secure Plus holder - and he was
    "Giving it away". ( in a manner of speaking ).

I have a very nice 97-S Quarter in "PL" AU 55 from the Boston Gals; I bought that one last year
    and paid a Grand more for it than the newly listed AU 58.

This seller seems very fair in his ask prices. You should all check him out. His name is Walt Ankerman ...
    Speaking of "Walt" - anyone know how Walt Kennedy is doing with his Seated Quarter collection ?

An old guy in his 70's..... With a MS 1896-S Quarter & an AU 55 1901-S Quarter - really sounds
    like Jack Beymer and his wife ( Rose ? ) ...who always has a flower in her hair .... Almost her trade mark.
    I wonder if the 01-S Quarter is my old one that was bought off of Harry Laibstain by George Harrison -
    who incidentally has the nicest AU 55 1901-S Quarters I have ever seen.

For those who are looking for a 1901-S Quarter in PCGS 50 - Harry Laibstain does have a very
    respectable AU 50 in inventory ( and I was informed by the 1901-S Police {lol} that this coin is
    out of the Crabtree collection. )

Hope all is well with everyone - happy hunting.

edit to add seller's last name.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2016 2:57PM

Mike it'saPcgs 55 . I saw those coins I justI happen to see it as soon as he listed them. I would die for a PL barber quarter to go along in my PL type set.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Mike- also I spoke to Walt Kennedy a few weeks ago. He has a beautiful 76CC quarter that I'm going to purchase as soon as I can.

Tim- I will send that coin for true view but that's the pics that came with the coin. I cropped them so I will post new ones in old pics place

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Jeff- thanks for the compliment. it's the first one I have owned. There was an 98-S I wanted but when I went to buy it someone had purchased it already.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

@mrkbrown87 said:
    Mike it'saPcgs 55 . I saw those coins I justI happen to see it as soon as he listed them. I would die for a PL barber quarter to go along in my PL type set.

Mark... I see you edited your post with the OBV & REV images of your new 07-S.
    Its a nice coin - and very difficult to locate in that grade.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    edited November 7, 2016 5:29PM

Mark asked to see my duplicate 07-S { PCGS AU 53 } - July - 2016 Heritage Auction:

I bought the above coin after searching for an AU 58 - to no avail !

Here's my better 07-S { PCGS 65 } - courtesy of HLRC

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, Wow, what a difference a picture or two makes! very pleasing... looking at the edited posts. Looks nice.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Great looking 07s Mark! Congrats.

Mike nice pickup on your new 97s as well :)

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Tim- Thanks I appreciate it

JT- thanks for dropping by to compliment my newP. it's nice but your 58 Sweet.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Mike- I love your 53 and that 65 is breathtaking. Wow

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Since we are on the 1907-S Barber Quarter theme, I thought I would share the coins in my quest for that elusive Wayte Raymond album high-end VF to low-end XF.

The raw '07-S hole filler I bought from Glenn's table (mentioned earlier) at the August 2013 WFoM:

By May 2014, I found something I thought was better in surface quality and color. About a VF-20 ungraded by a 3rd Party:

I am with all of you understanding the difficulty of finding good, quality 1907-S specimens. I am still on the lookout for a 10 to 15 point bump above my May 2014 purchase. As I stated, it is elusive. I do like looking at those higher-realm pics. Thanks for bringing them out!

• T

Tim- I also am trying to do a album high vF-low AU but I can't find the darn Wayte Raymond boards. Guess they are rare as the coins I want to out inside. I could always get Dansco but I want the old school stuff. I absolutely agree in the toughness of 07-S and it's one of my favorite dates. You seem to have a superb eye for original peices so thanks for sharing.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was the winner of a 1892 O PC AU 55 Quarter at a heritage Wednesday Night Auction last week; it arrived yesterday:

This coin is a minor upgrade for my PC AU 53 and has a green CAC sticker. I still find it odd that PCGS doesn't recognize the 2 different reverses as varities on the 1892, but they do list a variety for an 1892 O Die Clash. What?

I love them Barber Halves.....

Jeff- that's a beautiful 92-O. Seems to have a better than average strike for a O mint quarter. The next coin I buy will be semi key 02-O or 04-O. Preferably a 05-O but I haven't found a nice one anywhere since I sold my set that had my Pc40. I'd love to find that coin.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark - Congrats on the 07-S newp. Good looking coin, and oh so tough. Also tough is finding the Wayte Raymond boards for barber qtrs. I found a couple of the blank large Raymond quarter boards and printed the labels for my raw collection. it has the advantage of seeing the entire set on two pages. Something to consider.

Mike - I'm a big fan of your 07-S qtr in 65.

Tim - That's a good looking VF 07-S. Finding the XF is not going to be easy.

Pics for this AM, my raw collection:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Jeff - Very good looking 92-O newp. Congratulations.

Vern
    l
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff: Nice looking 92-O. And you got it in less than a week from Heritage, also a good thing.
    Mike: Your 65 07-S is very attractive. I'm no expert on BU barbers, but that seems to be conservatively graded.
    Vern: Always fun to see your raw boards. Lots of miles on the sneakers finding those beauties.
    Jim

edited November 8, 2016 9:26AM

@mrkbrown87 said:
    Jeff- that's a beautiful 92-O. Seems to have a better than average strike for a O mint quarter.

Mark,
    I respectfully disagree with you on "better than average strike for a(n) O mint Quarter".

Jeff,
    No offense, but that's a fair to poor strike for an 1892-O Quarter. There are so many
    of this type and grade available, at the moment I have just shy of a half dozen all in AU 58.
    All with razor sharp strikes. Full radials on the OBV stars as well, full feathers on the REV
    arrows. The REV shield right hand upper corner is not fully brought up, either.

I have not said anything about some coins up until now, but Mark's comment needed to
    be addressed. Sorry to rain on your parade. JMHO

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

@MFH said:

@mrkbrown87 said:
    Jeff- that's a beautiful 92-O. Seems to have a better than average strike for a O mint quarter.

Mark,
    I respectfully disagree with you on "better than average strike for a(n) O mint Quarter".

Jeff,
    No offense, but that's a fair to poor strike for an 1892-O Quarter. There are so many
    of this type and grade available, at the moment I have just shy of a half dozen all in AU 58.
    All with razor sharp strikes. Full radials on the OBV stars as well, full feathers on the REV

I have not said anything about some coins up until now, but Mark's comment needed to

After actually looking closely I recant my statement. I took a glance earlier but I still do like the coin. Nice eye appeal

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    edited November 14, 2016 11:33AM

Vern, jealous! Thanks for showing me this board again by way of the pics. I enjoyed seeing your collection in person in Chicago (it was either you or whoever was manning the BCCS / Liberty Seated table at the time at one of the past Chicago WFoM shows). I remember the quality of the '01-S was outstanding... in fact I may have snapped a pic myself and have it around here somewhere.

The VF '07-S was purchased about midway through 2014 from John T. out of Virginia. You are correct in that it will be a tough upgrade if it ever becomes an opportunity. I appreciate you Mark in trying to help me out on that effort.

The Raymond album I have had for some time. I actually came across it on accident when I was looking for L of C albums on Ebay. The pick-up was a no brainer for me.

• T

@MFH said:

@mrkbrown87 said:

Mark,

Jeff,

I'm so humiliated about my lousey coin- I just cracked it out of the holder ans sold it for scrap.

Now I know why I can't find a 58- Mike has them all.

Jeff:

Jeez...don't get upset ... I only called it as I saw it. It's a decent coin,
    I just wanted to show our novice Quarter collector that he spoke too
    fast. When someone states it's a premium strike and it's a below average
    one, IMHO, then it needs to be pointed out. Either he hasn't seen enough
    coins to make a determination of their strike quality or as he states, he's blind
    in one eye and can't see out the other. After seeing the scared example
    from Baltimore, he shouldn't use explatives to describe what's being shown.

Hey, I take a verbal beating on over 50% of what I buy for my sets from my YN
    photographer. He is polite enough to say: "don't take this the wrong way, but
    most of your coins have no personality"..... And, when I look at them more
    closely, he's right. I'm trying very hard to add to my sets, coins that will stand up
    to his scruitiny. It ain't easy.

Fear not, Jeff, I lust over many of the Halves you've been salting away. As I am fond
    of saying, if I had your coins, I could throw mine away.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    edited November 8, 2016 5:33PM

Tim:

A few years ago, I had serious thoughts of starting (yet another) sets of Dimes , Quarters and Halves.
    One of our Forum Members mentioned he was selling gently used Raymond Waite
    (or, is it Waite Raymond ?) complete Barber collection albums.

Dimes photo BarberAlbums-Dimes_zps65c64f0e.jpg

Halves - pg 2 photo BarberHalves-2_zpsca466e11.jpg

Barber Albums 1 photo BarberAlbums-1_zps10294739.jpg

Barber Albums 2 photo BarberAlbums_zpsaf144495.jpg

Quarters photo BarberAlbums-Quarters_zps1f312f97.jpg

I've stuck a few Dupes in those albums - nothing outlandish, just nice 35-45 grades.
    Now, I'm wondering when and if I will ever take these albums seriously. Considering
    I also have Whitman Bookshelf albums from the mid 60's ( well worn from many years of
    handling ) and the Dansco counterparts, I really question my judgement for buying these
    Raymond Waite albums.

Looking forward to seeing your sets posted - as they sound (and look) wonderful.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Tim- I was looking for my 55 when I saw the one I sent you pics of. It's a nice CC but the toning isn't what I like. And John Thomas aka(JKT) always

Vern- holy smokes!! I never get tired of seeing that set. That's my goal and I think your advice about the boards is what I will try to do.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Mike- if I don't take my time to study a coin then yes I can say something that anither more seasoned collector will correct. I didn't blow up pics of Jeff's pretty coin as I have my cell phone at work. And I am in fact blind in my left eye. I do appreciate you calling it like it is tho

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

While screening my iPad images - I noticed my old ( less than a year old ) which sold
    at FUN.... A really well struck ( for the date & mint ) 1907-S Quarter in PC 45 ( ex: Paesan )

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    edited November 8, 2016 12:18PM

John is the greatest. I sent John (JKT) an email once telling him how amazed I am of his coins. I literally have trust in him that if he is parting with something Barber-related, I need to sit up and pay attention! what a quality eye. I have loved every single transaction.

edited November 8, 2016 1:22PM

I agree, every coin I have gotten from JT has been perfect for the grade.

I went thru my images on my lap top - and here are all the 1907-S Quarters I have owned
    aside from the few { 45, 53 & 65 } which I have posted earlier.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Does this picture help you Mike concerning the spelling?

edited November 8, 2016 2:31PM

I noticed, since I joined the post, an obvious lack of 1907-S quarter images between low to mid VF and lower to mid AU. Hmmm. A potential article subject to investigate why? I don't want to discredit the nice '07-S in Vern's set viewed when zooming way in. You all may have been sharing these prior to my belated thread attendance so I apologize in advance if this is the case.

Mike, Not asking for you to root out old pictures... I can do the work to turn back the Barber Mega Thread clock.

(Edit) Oops, never mind. My cell phone is catching up and I see Mike's XF45 now. Question: Why does it seem everything is ex-Paesan? who blessed him at some point to have the best coins in the universe? Mike - You seem to be working hard to usurp that.

• T

edited November 8, 2016 2:52PM

Hey, found the WFoM BCCS table pics. I hope no one would mind if I share someone else's collection-pursuit achievements. Vern, I only do so out of love!

The display case had this PC35 '01-S... who owns? BTW, these pics are closeups of those other pics.... so so nice:

Mike, Took a moment to look at your Raymond album pages and binder. Neat! I don't know, I think those old timers had it right with the elegance of collecting. Curious... does anyone own one of those pull out lined-with-felt type of tray in furniture form? I think I've seen a line drawing of one in one of Q David's many books but never one in actual picture form. Do you all know the kind I am talking about? The kind that would dress up a Victorian home in the corner of a gentleman's office or study? I picture one of many trays being pulled out from that collector cabinet lined full of uncirculated or proof Barber Half Dollars.

• T

@MFH said:
    Jeff:

Jeez...don't get upset ... I only called it as I saw it. It's a decent coin,
    I just wanted to show our novice Quarter collector that he spoke too
    fast. When someone states it's a premium strike and it's a below average
    one, IMHO, then it needs to be pointed out. Either he hasn't seen enough
    coins to make a determination of their strike quality or as he states, he's blind
    in one eye and can't see out the other. After seeing the scared example
    from Baltimore, he shouldn't use explatives to describe what's being shown.

Hey, I take a verbal beating on over 50% of what I buy for my sets from my YN
    photographer. He is polite enough to say: "don't take this the wrong way, but
    most of your coins have no personality"..... And, when I look at them more
    closely, he's right. I'm trying very hard to add to my sets, coins that will stand up
    to his scruitiny. It ain't easy.

Fear not, Jeff, I lust over many of the Halves you've been salting away. As I am fond
    of saying, if I had your coins, I could throw mine away.

Mike- just giving you a hard time; my new quarter has a green bean! I agree that the obverse strike is weak, but the reverse is fairly solid. I haven't been able to figure out how that happens.

Thinking of albums, here are some I have in very good to excellent condition.

• T

Looking at all these albums reminds me of my first experience of getting my Barber Half set graded from my album in 2011 at ICG. Skip sat down with me and looked at each coin, telling me that about 40% of my coins were cleaned. That was the beginning of my true Numismatic experience. Prior to that I was just buying coins that seemed like a good deal.

Some would say I haven't learned my lessons yet, Probably true.

Tim - The 01-S in 35 is mine. The coin in the 01-S hole in the Raymond boards is an extra 01-P of about the same grade and look as the 01-S, which is still in its slab and rarely leaves my safety deposit box.

Jeff - I went through the same learning process that you did in 2011. Mine occurred 20 to 22 years earlier than yours.

Pics for this AM, newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l

A very nice '08 Quarter in Milo's set; one of the common dates still missing in my set.

I'm guessing that I may never own a '01 S Quarter; such a huge financial committment. Maybe if I sell my wifes designer handbag collection.......

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2016 10:17AM

Wow,This went quick!

Great looking Quarter, Darryl. Did you buy it or sell it?

Darrell... That puppy is HAMMERED !!!
    so, to refer to Jeff's question, did you
    buy it or sell it - and what did PC call it ?
    AU 68 ? LOL

B)

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    edited November 9, 2016 9:48PM

@sedulous said:
    Mike, Took a moment to look at your Raymond album pages and binder. Neat! I don't know, I think those old timers had it right with the elegance of collecting. Curious... does anyone own one of those pull out lined-with-felt type of tray in furniture form? I think I've seen a line drawing of one in one of Q David's many books but never one in actual picture form. Do you all know the kind I am talking about? The kind that would dress up a Victorian home in the corner of a gentleman's office or study? I picture one of many trays being pulled out from that collector cabinet lined full of uncirculated or proof Barber Half Dollars.

• T

Tim... I saw a guy's Thread ATS who was building his own coin chest with thin drawers which were lined. I believe it was an old fashioned 5 drawer dresser which he gutted - he's doing a nice job. If I find the thread again, I'll attach a link here...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold it! Lasted about an hour I think, It was graded 64 but can't see why it wasn't a 65!

edited November 9, 2016 2:05PM

Hey Mike, That is a good idea... modify an existing set of drawers! Actually if I was to build one, it would need to contain drawers that can hold 3rd Party holders. Thanks. Was just curious.

As I eluded to earlier, I am greatful to having Lenny's Barbers being shown and cared for by a new generation of collectors. It makes me think about how I can be more strict or discerning in purchase considerations - building my own legacy. Thanks for those, like Mike or Vern, that have shared information on ex-Paesan specimens. The Paesan legacy is awesome to hear about and visualize real-time! Keep 'em coming!

edited November 9, 2016 3:13PM

I love the quality of both the '05-P and '08-P. Thanks for sharing Darryl and Vern. The '08-P I know is tougher for the quarters in mid-grades (F, VF, XF) but would anyone be interested in relative scarcity at the AU level for quarters? I can rerun the analysis for the AU grade level. I could also do something similar for half dollars. Here is the Philly mid-circulated grade quarter analysis based off of BCCS census data:

edited November 9, 2016 9:49PM

Ok, Here is the data showing the results from the F, VF, XF half dollar BCCS census data.

Everyone... remember this data is somewhat skewed in that it reflects only BCCS submission data and what we hold in our collections. The assumption, whether good or bad, is the point that if we don't have it in our collections, it means it has been a little tougher to aquire. If we are hoarding more of the rarer dates like an 1897-S, it will show up as less tough in the analysis. What you need to do is take the half and quarter data then cross-check it against pop and value-price data, your judgement, other publicized articles or books... you know, like the authored books you have in your numismatic library. Does that make sense? I might have totally different results if I ran something similar for analysis on XF-AU or Uncirculated grades.

Mike asked earlier to see more pics destined for the Wayte Raymond album. Here is a random sampling:

1898-P in raw 45-ish:

1905-S from JKT in PC-30:

1914-P common at about 35-ish:

• T

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the look of that 1914 quarter.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

edited November 9, 2016 9:31PM

Tim... Really nice examples... I'd love to see any Library of Coins / Dansco / National Albums
    filled with coins like this. It's a pleasure seeing these coins. Thanks for sharing.

I was looking at another collection on the Registry - Laxdive - and he has a number of sets,
    but I focused on his Quarters - I'm borrowing his images without his knowledge - but - images
    posted on the Registry are fair game IMHO - I'm sure Ben won't mind.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

With the positives from earlier, thanks for that feedback... let me go a little earlier with a couple more VF New Orleans pieces.

NGC-30 '95-O - Would crossover I believe but destined for W.R. album:

NGC-35 '96-O - Same deal...

• T

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file