Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next on my list of 11 coins that PCGS denied a Plus grade, a 1896 PC 58:

Followed by a 1896 S AU 58:

This one has deep Proof Like surfaces; it would be confused as a Proof if not from a Branch Mint.

Next, a 1897O PC AU 58:

Thi is one of my favorite coins in the set.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    Here are coins 5 to 8:

1898 S PC AU 58:

1900 S PC AU 58:

1903 PC AU 58:

1903 S PC AU 58:

• Options
    And here are coins 9 to 11:

1906 O PC AU 58:

1908 S PC AU 58:

And last, a 1911 D PC AU 58:

As previously stated, I would appreciate any/ all opinions on why the coins didn't "+" upgrade; it will help me decide if I want to try again.

I'm curious if you think they have too many hits/ scratches? Perhaps they should be in a MS holder? Not enough color?

Just missing je ne sais quoi?

• Options
    No action on this thread- I guess I'm the only Barber collector left.....

I picked up a nice (at least I think so) '05 O Quarter last week; it arrived in the mail today:

One of the tougher dates; I'm hoping this comes back as an AU 50. We'll see.....
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, Don't take this the wrong way but I don't see any of your Half's as + grades from the pictures. That being said I have yet to figure out what PCGS looks for to garner a + grade. Take a gander at my album and you may see what I mean. Most of the nicer coins in my set that are not + grades have been submitted twice! At least 6 of them that did not + were seen by many and had comments if any thing will + this will! Some of the + grades I have took 2 submissions to get the +!

Looks like a good shot on the 05-O!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Jeff....

I'm not going to waste my time and money sending in my few 58's for 58+'s.
    Most of your coins were high end 58's...IMHO

Should have received a few pluses - but to bat 0 / 11 is unconscionable !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just packed up a whole bunch of stuff for cross over - and reconsideration,
    all for my friend, SROTAG.

The 1907-O Quarter arrived and was immediately bundled up and enclosed
    in the Fed Ex box going to CALIF..... For Express coverage on a Secure Plus
    PCGS submission ... plus, I opted for a True View. My best guess is MS 62/63.
    Don't really care - as long it's in a numbered slab.... I'll take a 58 as well.
    It's clearly MS - no rub - but a few concealed hits in the toning were not evident
    in the images. ( Jeff, wish you lived closer - you'd have an opinion on it which I'd
    like to hear. )

I also packed up five coins for CAC - mostly the newps I've been picking
    up over the last two months...the most recent one arrived today as well, the 1901
    Dime in PCGS 58. It doesn't have the blast of luster as some, but it's a nice coin
    and hopefully will get a sticker. These coins went to CAC : 1890 & 1893 Nickels
    both in AU 58....and three AU 58 Dimes, the aforementioned 1901 plus: 1911
    and 1916 Phila's.

Well...Jeff... You're far from alone .... There's lots of Baba collectors who have
    commented on the coins posted here. BTW, you did a great job on LogPotato's
    Halves.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin

Jeff, Don't take this the wrong way but I don't see any of your Half's as + grades from the pictures. That being said I have yet to figure out what PCGS looks for to garner a + grade. Take a gander at my album and you may see what I mean.

Darrell-

I appreciate your insight, but I'm curious why you (and anyone else who cares to chime in) believe the coins didn't "+". You completely agree with our host, but why? Obviously you have reasoning for your thoughts, and you have more experience than all the rest of us combined. I'm just trying to learn a bit. The photos give a good representation of the coins, and I have really thick skin. Have at it! These are just round disks of metal. I realize the coins have been considered "not worthy" by our hosts. I would just kike a better understanding.

Darrell, I've looked at your album; I don't see any pattern. I'm just trying to learn from your (and others) experience.

Perhaps it just comes down to the je ne sais quoi? Just a "certain something"? I guess it really doesn't matter in the end, but I'm just a very curious person.
  • Options
    Jeff,

I can't comment accurately without seeing the coins in hand. It's probably your pictures. Most don't seem to have the luster boom I would expect. The 96-S certainly has to much going on and looks more like a 55 to me from your pictures. Others have a few marks in the wrong place but still qualify for 58(main focal area) and the 11-D is just unattractive due to the splotchy toning.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark - Interesting quotes. Thanks for posting them here. Personally, I like barber coinage more for the era they came from rather than their design.

Jeff - I wouldn't begin to guess what our hosts might consider a 58+ as opposed to a plain old 58, based on pics. The only time I've made that kind of guess was a couple of years ago at Darrell's table when he showed me a box of 58's he was planning on submitting. He asked what 3 or 4 I thought would make it, and none of the four I picked did.

Mike - Good luck with your submissions.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin

Jeff,

I can't comment accurately without seeing the coins in hand. It's probably your pictures. Most don't seem to have the luster boom I would expect. The 96-S certainly has to much going on and looks more like a 55 to me from your pictures. Others have a few marks in the wrong place but still qualify for 58(main focal area) and the 11-D is just unattractive due to the splotchy toning.

Much better!! Thanks for the input. I do understand grading (evaluading) from pics is tough.
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, I'll weigh in on your 0-11. I'm not being critical of your coins here. We all have different taste, and that's a good thing.

My opinion is that while a dipped coin may be acceptable for a 58 holder nowadays, it won't get a plus, unless the surfaces are otherwise superb.

Unfortunately, a dipped coin will show imperfections easier than a naturally toned original coin.

I'm not surprised on the 0-11.

I sent in 10 quarters for plus grades last year and got one back, and I like to think mine weren't dipped, but I'm no expert. That was a good lesson for me. I hope yours was a good lesson too. We both could have added a nice piece with the money we squandered.

Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    I have said to a few friends "...LOL 8 grade variations with AU." B. Max Mehl is rolling over in his grave. Why not 10?" ...Buy what you like and like what you buy. Going forward, no more regrades, CAC, etc. for me. The next caretaker can move forward with these if they choose. I figure that if I can get CAC to bean dozens of gold coins, my eye is good enough and the auction company can send my new material should this be my future.

I guess I'm choosing to live in the past! For now:

-PC58
    Craig

• Options
    That was excellent insight, Paesan. I appreciate you're chiming in.

Labelman - nice Quarter - was that one of the one's you bought back ?

I spotted a few lower graded but superbly toned Nickels in HA's weekly
    auction this evening. I bid on 6 and won 5 - it was a battle however !!

My newps:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

and last but not least .....

imageimage

I was positive I'd never see the likes of these again.... maybe when I'm in Shady Acres
    which by then... who would collect ... but at least I'll have my Photo Albums to look at.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike! Those nickels are stunning!

Pasean,I agree with you. Even 1 dip diminishes the luster of a coin.
  • Options
    Paesan - "We both could have added a nice piece with the money we squandered." How true.

Craig - "Buy what you like and like what you buy." Another great truism.

Mike - Congratulations on the wonderfully eye appealing nickel newps.

Pics for this AM, from Milo's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    -Mike The 08-D is one I've had for a bit. ...The nickles are terrific and I am not a nickle guy. It makes me want to review all of the best "toners" on the Thread.
    Craig

• Options

Labelman - my old [ and I mean old ] friend.
    Its obvious you're not a Nickel guy - you miss
    spelled the word twice !! LOL

Nickle - rhymes with Pickle

Nickel - is the stuff of 5 Cent Pieces

My favorite Liberty Head Nickel:
    { Now in a PCGS 64 Holder }
    [CAC Does not accept Errors ! ]

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike: That 91 nickel is pretty cool. Not much of an error fan, but that one is very nice.

Milo: The 10-D quarter has a great look. Love a Barber with the "look", that one has it.

• Options
    I promise to type more slloooowwwlly!
    Craig

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Awesome nickels Mike. The 1892, 94, and 99 are all particularly sweet to my eyes. I think the 94 is my favorite based on the pics. The 99 looks wild...and I like it. All are nice. Congrats on the neat pick ups.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Guys, sorry for not posting comments lately, work has been busy here at the glass plant these past ten days ... WHEW ...

Jeff - Sorry about your 0-11 on the plus grades. Your Barber halves are very nice.

Paesan - Your comment was on the money.

Mike - I'm not an error fanatic either, but that 1891 Liberty nickel is a unique example. Terrific group of Liberty nickel newps.

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: paesan

That was a good lesson for me. I hope yours was a good lesson too. We both could have added a nice piece with the money we squandered.

Paesan

Lenny- Remember, you sold me one of those coins, the 1896. Are you saying you duped me into purchasing a POS from you??

I don't feel I squandered my money on the coins I own. I like them, that's the 2nd most important opinion in my household.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Labelman87
    I promise to type more slloooowwwlly!

...don't get yourself in another Pickle again...lol

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff,
    1) I prefaced my comment by saying that I wasn't being critical of your coins. Did you read that?
    2) I never sold anybody a POS.
    3) You couldn't wait to own that 96 half and I sold it to a friend who it suited more than it suited me.
    4) The 96 was a nice coin when I owned it and it's a nice coin today. Dipped, but nice.
    5) Why ask for comments if you're going to get your panties twisted?

Mike, Miss Spelled? Does she teach first grade? :-)
  • Options
    Jeff, Also, perhaps I chose the wrong word when I said we squandered our money. I'll concede that point. A better word is gambled.

Our coins are like our cards and our fees are like the bet.

The house took the money.

Bad gamble.

Paesan.
  • Options
    Mike - Neat V Nickel error.

Paesan - Good analogy, the house always gets the money.

Pics for this AM, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Lenny-

My panties aren't twisted; I'm just giving you a hard time. Yes, I willingly bought the coin and I like it.
  • Options
    If any one has squandered his money....image..... LOL

I have made my fair share of errors when buying & selling.
    I'm not complaining { Oh, Yes I AM !! } but its all water
    over the Dam. Under the Bridge...where ever it is, its not in
    my bank account !

Its tuition - BC - its the falling market - I thought it would have
    an up tic by now - but - its not ...wait, I just paid stupid money
    for some toned Nickels - so - is the market picking up ? I was top
    bidder on 5 lots - and there was a lot of competition on those Nickels.
    I was going to drop out when others' bids exceeded my initial MAX bids.
    I just said to my self - when will I ever see colorful Nickels like these
    ever again ? I'm not a 20 yr old kid anymore, I knew its "do or die".

My Lib Nickel set is almost complete for all Phila Mint coins in Mint State !
    The 1894 brought me closer to the top. The other newps were duplicates.
    The D & S coins of 1912 are in my scope. One of these days, I'll locate
    the missing dates I need in MS - but I hope I find them as beautifully toned
    as the most recent group. I'm much further behind in Nickel Proofs, I need
    25 dates...UGH !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

ADD:

Any one see the 1896-S Quarter in PCGS AU 53 at JJ Teaparty today ?
    Its closer to looking like a choice XF 45+ with a Gold CAC - LOL

Seriously - its a nice coin and would make a great addition to the right collection,
    just not mine.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff, I'm glad you were joking. It seemed like you took offense. You got me!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: paesan

Jeff, I'm glad you were joking. It seemed like you took offense. You got me!

I guess it's pretty easy to misinterpret a joke in a post. I'll be more aware of that in the future. If I remember- I'm getting old.

Of the 11 Barber Halves I posted earlier 10 of them were purchaased in their ciurrent holder (the 1897 O was a raw submission). Some of them look like they must of been dipped at some time (all white), but most have some toning. How can anyone be convinced they were dipped? I have a bunch of MS Franklin Halves in 2X2 cardboard holders purchased in the 80's that show no signs of toning at all. These coins are 60 years old- when does the toning start?

If a coin has a white creamy appearance I'm good with it even though it's not heavily toned. Maybe it was dipped, maybe not. I do have a problem with dipped coins that have a "silver" color or start to develop a haze.

I don't dip any of my purchases (for obvious reasons), but I do use MS70 (not a dip) at times to get rid of a touch of unattractive toning. It's a rather weak solution that removes a little, but not all toning. I did use it on the '97 O to bring out the luster.
  • Options
    Mike - I saw that 96-S in 53 that Liz has. First time I've seen it, and I try to keep track of the big 3. I agree on the 45 grade, but don't think it will ever CAC. It looks like porosity on the back of Liberty's cap, but that is based on pics which aren't the best.

Pics for this PM, tough date newp into Paesan's Stash, PC62:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Sent in two Barbers for Srotag - as he upgraded these dates -
    PCGS Graded them the same as the old slabs: 1895 Nickel stays
    MS 64....

1909-O Dime stays MS 64....

I'm patiently waiting for my AU 58's to be graded .....image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Was the luster strong enough on either of these two to warrant a 65?

Pics for this AM, from Milo's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I picked up a 1887 Liberty Nickel in a NGC AU 58 holder for my Everyman's set last week. I cracked it out of the slab and intend to submit it raw:

Other than the misaligned obverse die this coin has several cool things going on. On the Obverse the"1" in the date has been re-punched:

The Reverse Die has basically shattered; die chips all over and a spiders web of die cracks:

I'm not sure if this coin will make it into a PC 58 holder; I purchased it mainly for all the cool things going on. I'll bet the reverse die didn't last too much longer after this coin was struck!
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Jeff- that is the coolest nickel as far a character goes. It has some nice luster also I like it. I have yet to buy a Lib nickel. But I reckon I will of i can find one that fits the type set.

Mike- how amazing are those toner buckles bud. Wow!!!
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Jeff...Nice 1887 Nickel - my only example is an AU 58 which I've had
    for 26 years - have been meaning to upgrade that date with an MS &
    a PR ... just don't seem to find them when I'm looking.

Good luck with your submission.

Now that I look at it [ the size of a saucer ] I'm amazed I accepted it.
    Guess this date is back on my hit list for a better example...image

Absolutely lousy strike [ thru grease ? ]
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff - Your '87 V Nick has a lot of neat stuff going on.

Pics for this AM, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MFH

Jeff...Nice 1887 Nickel - my only example is an AU 58 which I've had

for 26 years - have been meaning to upgrade that date with an MS &

a PR ... just don't seem to find them when I'm looking.

Good luck with your submission.

Now that I look at it [ the size of a saucer ] I'm amazed I accepted it.

Guess this date is back on my hit list for a better example...image

Absolutely lousy strike [ thru grease ? ]

Mike-

I like your 1887 Nickel. There's a nice die break at the reverse top.
  • Options

Vern...nice 97-O & S Quarters - love their look !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I finally found a decent 1898 Nickel for my Desk Set Holder...
    I found it on Collectors Corner - with Jade Rare Coin. Its in a
    PCGS 50 holder - so - it'll blend in with the others.... I hope !

Group images forthcoming - but knowing my imaging skills you're about to be
    "underwhelmed"...LOL

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern, your raw 97-S is an amazing coin and probably the highlight of your boards.
  • Options
    Mike - Congrats on the V Nick addition to your Dest Set Holder.

Paesan - Thanks, and you are absolutely right, the '97-S is the highlight of the raw set.

Pic for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

This is a "Pale Face" compared to the above coin....

....its a minor upgrade to my AU 53 - which is a nice coin -

but, I'm looking for the overall grades of an AU 58....

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, tough date in AU!

Not picking on your coin, but I want to make an observation about coins with that look in general, and my comment/opinion is that PCGS would not have given that coin a 58 five years ago, and probably would have had a greater chance of bagging it.

I veer away from the newer holders. Again, I want to stress that this is not a knock on the 05-S as it may be original and lovely seen in hand. This is a general comment. My 09-S dime in 62 is similar.

Paesan
  • Options
    Mike- congrats on the new pic if I wouldn't of seen A nice 76 CC in 58 that is actually my first CC Type besides Morgan that I like more than that 05-S we would have had a bidding war
    Lol atkeast til I hit the $350 mark hehe.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    I'm not actually thrilled with this specific example, Paesan, but
    I have not seen another in 58 in ages. My friend, Craig, has a great
    looking 58, but he called me on it - so, I backed off on bidding on his.

Mark... I think your love for Seated coins out weighs your fondness
    for all things Barber.

My "raw" express submission at PCGS - received into their system on 9/28:
    got its grade this afternoon - 10/05/16 .... GTG .... [ and no...its not just
    a genuine coin...
    ....]

imageimage

Ok, no cheating now !!

Here's the True View

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike- don't get me wrong I love barbers as they were my first type coin project but something about the seated series and it's history has me absolutely intrigued. Also there is alot of times coins in the series.

As the amazing 07-O above is say it's a 58+
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    I'll bid 63+ on the '07 O 25C. Beautiful coin- your style.
  • Options
    Mike-

Let me know when Lenny convinces you your '05 S 25C is a horrible coin not worth owning. I know someone that likes white coins. I believe in accepting coins of all races, religions, and colors. imageimage
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa
    Mike-

Let me know when Lenny convinces you your '05 S 25C is a horrible coin not worth owning. I know someone that likes white coins. I believe in accepting coins of all races, religions, and colors. imageimage

Its not that I disagree with Lenny's point of view - I have been known to
    get a coin here and there that did not meet up with my collecting friends'
    opinions. If there were a nicer AU 58 out there, It'd be mine. Lenny has a great
    sense of originality - he's only pointing out what I should be aware of.

Not saying I'll never sell this 05-S in 58 - I'm always on the prowl for upgrades,
    even if they are a lesser grade [ I have picked up a few 55's to replace 58's ]

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file