The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Mike- Is your new '97 5C a MS 63?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2016 6:11PM

@Labelman87 said:
    I have dug into my small coin cabinet and found a few images:![]

EDIT: ....Whose he kidding ? His walk in safe came from the Eliasberg home.

...here's its twin sister: But with a tan and I didn't have a Professional Image
    taken other than the True View. Its CAC as well.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

@mrkbrown87 said:
    Jeff- thanks buddy I sure hope it crosses. I just gta bute the bullet and update my pcgs membership this year. The last few years I paid and never used it lol due to not collecting. Hope to send it Monday along with a few others.

Vern- thanks for the compliment. I think it looks very original also. I hope it looks as good in hand.

Craig- nice to see you post. Absolutely stunning 07-S and 05-O. Actually all of those are perfect.

Yup - Ol' Craig has some neat coins. Too bad he lives so far away !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

For my "POOR" friend MFH (his bank is sagging under the weight of his coins) some OOOOOhhhhh's to assist in holding it up! :DB)

Early HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all!

Craig

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2016 9:55PM

Craig, Sweet coins! umph!

Jeff, Mike, On the '97 5c, my grade might be a 62 depending on that scratch thing going down the face with two lines from behind the eye. It is hard to fully see in the darker cheek shadow to really tell what is going on there. I will say the surface luster and quality to the eye is superb for sure. My humble opinion but it sits well in that 64 holder and I am not a PCGS grader... the luster, strike must be a weighted factor on the grade. Since I don't collect the nickels and I am two points off, it seems I have a lot more to learn. It really is nice though Mike.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Craig...Thanks for posting all my old coins that you bought at auction in 2011.

Tim + Jeff ...Once I get the 1897 Nickel - I'll decide if its a go or not. I learned from
    Jeff that its easier to see the coin in hand and make a determining decision then.
    Images are sometimes mis-squed. [sic] At first - second and third glances, I thought
    it was a great 63 and a mediocre 64. If I like it as a 64 in hand - I'll send it to CAC for
    their opinion.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of nice coins posted in the past couple of days.

Tim - If you were asking about a preference of background colors, I lean towards the black one.

Craig - Glad to have you back.

Pics for this AM, newest newp into Milo's collection, and it's a toughie, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Wow, Vern/Milo - Awesome '97-S. Can't be cheap but it sure is gorgeous. 1892-O 25c with black background is ex-JKT. Another pretty coin IMO. Thanks for the feedback.

Craig, I am noticing how much you and Mike love just the right color on the specimens you add to your collections.

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Vern-Milo-. That's a beautiful 97-S. Is that from Walt Ankerman? I wish I could purchased his.

Craig- That 1900-O is amazing. If it shall ever be upgraded or replaced I wouldn't hesitate.

Mike- as usual your keen eye for perfect barbers is one of a kind.

Vern- Also congratulations on completing your registry set of barber quarters. U must have completed that while I was on my hiatus. I can only drool at the endless perfect coins in that set.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

That sure looks like the Ackermann coin - which I loved - but I was short of
    folding money the week it was on eBay. I have a nice 55 - but I wanted a 58.
    Then I spotted the 1900-O in 58 - and as I had a 53 I wanted to sell - I opted
    for the 00-O over the 97-S.

Of course, I kick myself for not grabbing the 97-S at what I considered a wonderful
    price.... Oh, well, at least it went into a good home.

Congrats, Milo. That's a real beauty.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Craig - I agree with Vern as in the nice, recently posted coins. As everyone knows, those Philly Barber quarter dates can be a challenge. Again, nice coins.

Sedulous - I've been reading your posts with lots of interest. You have a lot of heart in this hobby, which is very laudable. I know how difficult it can be as I have done A LOT of geneology from all of my eight great-grandparents to me. It takes work, patience, more work, more patience and so on. Great job on the research!!

Mark and Mike - You are correct as this was the Ackerman 97-S in PCGS 58 that was on eBay a couple weeks ago. I was certainly stunned to see a 97-S in 58 for sale on eBay!! Thank you for the compliments regarding the quality of this coin ... I agree that it is a nice one. I was very happy to obtain it and it will be very much valued in its new home. :)

Vern - Once again a big thank you for your terrific coin imaging skills!!

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

-MFH Only a few 2011 Elbesaar's moved to Georgia. Five to be exact but , as we discussed, neither of us should have sold anything!!

-Milo Some of the most difficult Philly's (in strong AU) IMO are: 1893, 1894, 1904 - 1908. I am missing images to a few of these, as well as still looking for the "perfect" 1904. However, I have attached one of my favorite P's:

Craig

• Options

Craig - That is one very choice 94 in 58. Mine is in 55 OGH (former Iowa Collection) which is another colorful one. Thanks for sharing the image.

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since we're on the topic of Philadelphia Barber Quarters, here are a couple of raw finds that returned from PCGS last week. First, a '98 PC AU 58:

Next, a 1899 PC AU 58:

Both of these upgrade AU 55's in my set. Not the tough Philadelphia dates, but nice looking raw 58's are always a challenge!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Here is my raw '11-P in XF-45, since we are on Phillies...

• T

• Options

Wasn't gna post this for opinions until I got it in hand but since y'all are posting Philadelphia coins I purchased this beauty in a ICG holder.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Nice coin Mark- in a 55 holder?

• Options

Thanks Jeff. She is in a ICG 58 holder. I bought it for the toning. I hope it's not a turd when I get it in hand

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Is it has to many marks I will crack it out and put her in my Wayte Raymond boards when I find them for a decent price.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Mark, Holy Philamonie, look at that reverse! whoa!

• Options

Mark- it's not a good photo. My guess is it's a great looking coin. I have a lot of respect for ICG.

• Options

Thank guys. And yeah I know the picture is crap but it's the only one I have atm til I get her home

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2016 5:40PM

Amazing coins being posted. Keep up the good work, everyone. { Jeff: Nice 1898 !! }
    I especially like the 1894 Phila.... Craig: find that in the back of the safe, did you ?!!

Here's yet another coin I sold - and repurchased: Its now with a Green CAC Sticker:

1892-P Quarter PCGS 58 DDO photo 874de189.jpg

Here's a nice Proof I bought ages ago - as part of an 1894 Proof Set - which I eventually sold off piece meal:
    I wish I still had this set.

1894 Pr 64 Qtr photo 1894QuarterPCGSPR64_zpsba2fd706.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Lot's of nice P mints being posted.

Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving.

Pics for this AM, P mint dime newp into Paesan's Stash, PC62:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Another great Lenny coin! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Here's a recent purchase in a PCGS AU 58 holder, a 1895 S Quarter:

A little color for the Holiday, hopefully this one gets the MFH sticker!

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Another great Lenny coin! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Here's a recent purchase in a PCGS AU 58 holder, a 1895 S Quarter:

A little color for the Holiday, hopefully this one gets the MFH sticker!

Wow bro. That's a beautiful coin and a date that I can't find nice.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Now, that's what I call an AU 58 Quarter !!
    Wonderful - rich - original toning, Jeff. Great pick up !!

Here's my old 95-S ...I like your AU 58 a whole lot more !!

1895-S Quarter PCGS 62 photo ced2eed8.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2016 8:56AM

But Mike- does my '95 S Quarter get your "MFH" rainbow bean?

• Options

Mike- nice '95 S Quarter with great surfaces. Mine is just about the toning.

Here's the True View Image of my '95 S; it's actually pretty close to mine:

I've found the True View images to typically exaggerate the coins color, but in this case they actually toned it down a bit.

• Options

Jeff, that is a wonderful '95-S. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Options

Got my MFH Bean!

• Options

And, here's my latest 95-S, courtesy of Dave Kahn....
    ...and, Jeff, I still like your's better..... Rainbow CAC too. Lol

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Jeff - Congratulations on the very attractive 95-S qtr.

Pics for this AM, newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Always nice seeing others' better conditioned coins.
    Very nice 1910 Quarter, Milo. Like it a lot !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2016 12:02PM

Stateline Coin Exchange, LLC has this '94-S PC58 on Ebay for just shy of $350. What is that cheek blob? or am I seeing things?

You know I have no intention to dis someone's coin but I wouldn't want to consider something I don't typically look for in this high of a grade for a purchase - without running it by you all. If no one needs this date, I thought I would give it a shot. If someone does need this date, I have no problem backing off. Thoughts?

• T

• Options

I looked a little closer... looks like a spot where the toning is absent and not like the surrounding surface area. Would this be viewed as a "re-tone"? The color seems nice. Thoughts?

• Options

Tim- I've been looking at that coin everyday since it was listed. It's a beautiful coin and has alot of character. So many cool diecracks. If I wouldn't have bought the 03-O and 02-O and 92 I would be buying this one. I hope you get it.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Thought more about it. Decided to opt out. Apologies for bringing up the idea around the '94-S 25c. The price requested seemed not too out of the usual but I won't bid at current price.

• Options

No apology necessary; I find it interesting to know what others are thinking.

• Options

MFH- Has anyone told you recently you have a lot of nice coins?? You do.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Craig, Sweet coins! umph!

Jeff, Mike, On the '97 5c, my grade might be a 62 depending on that scratch thing going down the face with two lines from behind the eye. It is hard to fully see in the darker cheek shadow to really tell what is going on there. I will say the surface luster and quality to the eye is superb for sure. My humble opinion but it sits well in that 64 holder and I am not a PCGS grader... the luster, strike must be a weighted factor on the grade. Since I don't collect the nickels and I am two points off, it seems I have a lot more to learn. It really is nice though Mike.

Well, the 97 Nickel arrived this afternoon. I scrutinized the coin throughly and I did not
    find any lines on the face from behind the eye. No darker cheek shadow either.

What I did find was a very lustrous coin with enough ticks on and around the portrait to
    make the coin a MS 62 ( at best, IMHO ). It's going back tomorrow. I paid MS 65 money because
    I thought it very well could be considered a 64+ and possibly a 65. The images were such that
    it's faults were well hidden. It's a disappointment, as I was hoping to add that date into my MS
    set. I'll keep shaking the trees until a nicer one falls into my lap.

I appreciate the candor you showed, Tim, it kept me focused.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    MFH- Has anyone told you recently you have a lot of nice coins?? You do.

Thanks, Jeff....My YN photographer is very candid about my coins. He expects
    every one in my set to be a ⭐️ for eye appeal.

Tuesday, I sent in a bunch of my newer coins to CAC .... That run of MS "V" Nickels
    ( the beautifully toned ones out of Heritage's weekly Internet Only auction in August )
    plus a small group of four AU 58 Dimes - two stunners with great rim toning and a couple
    of nice duplicates - and lastly, three newer Quarters ( all PCGS - AU 58's ).

I think only one Dime may not pass...the 11-S .... It's just a generic AU 58 ... no personality.
    Update to follow.

Thanks again, Vern for posting those Quarters. I love seeing what others are finding.

I also spotted that 1894-S Quarter....no idea what that lump on the cheek is....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Tim - Hard to say what that is on the 94-S's cheek, without seeing it in hand. Myself, I'd pass because every time I'd look at it I'd be drawn to that area on the cheek.

Pics for this AM, a couple of raw dimes from my friend Dan's collection:

Vern
    l
  • Options

I'll try again:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sedulous, Color looks all wrong on the 94-S to me. Looks dipped and then dried without rinsing. Very blotchy.

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Thank you Lenny. Your comment helps me 'see' better.

Vern, I'm trackin' with the thinking you have expressed.

Mike, I just think it may be color transition around that cheek spot. The 5c is a looker in a 62 grade, regardless... but in the end, I think you are making the right decision.

• T

• Options

@paesan said:
    Sedulous, Color looks all wrong on the 94-S to me. Looks dipped and then dried without rinsing. Very blotchy.

Lenny,
    Thanks for the opinion...I just couldn't figure the blotchy toning out at all.
    I tend to shy away from unknown toning patterns. I was also very hesitant
    with the 07-O raw quarter I picked up in late October...now in a PCGS 63 holder.
    I was so unsure of the coin, that I express overnighted it - and express submission
    it - so I would get it back in time to return it to the eBay seller, just in case it did
    not certify. Expensive proposition, but I thought it was worth the trouble.

Mike

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2016 9:20AM

Good morning. Barber buddies. Headed to do some service calls. I received my 03-O in NgC 58 and 02-O in PC 53 last night and I'm super happy with both. The 02-O has some gun metal blueish grey beautiful toning that I'm going to try and get a good picture of.
    Was browsing Fb and saw that today is our fellow hoarder peasans Bday so Happy Birthday Lenny. Hope u have a great one

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Happy Birthday Lenny! If I get a Barber coin in change today, I'll send it to you for a present!

• Options

Pics for this late AM (annual poker game last night), newp into Milo's collection:

Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file