Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of the '07-S discussion topic, I remember buying an '07-S quarter hole filler from Glenn's table at that 2013 Chicago WFoM... now that is a flashback. Whew. Almost as good as the flashback the Cubs will have in the years ahead from last night's World Series win! Although I am more of a quarter fan, I do think both the quarter and the half are equally tough to find un-messed with and with good color (my vote is no vote / a push). So if any of you don't agree with me, pass along the Barber quarters and halves you don't want from this vintage. I will gladly take them off your hands!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some nice pieces everyone........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, Sedulous, I remember you now, but can't remember if it was I who
    sold you anything while I was at Glenn's table. Glenn was at the table long
    enough to say hi and then run off to the next deal. ( LOL ). He always has a
    great selection of Barbers and it was an enjoyable experience helping him out
    for a couple of years.

Welcome, a bit belatedly, and hope to have you post your favorite coins when
    you have a chance. Looking forward to seeing them.

For those who don't feel like turning back to the first post to see what Sedulous
    looks like, he's standing next to Glenn Holsonbake - and behind John Frost - to
    the right side of this image.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Bingo! Tim Glaue. Good job! Hayes terrific!

• Options
    edited November 3, 2016 9:07PM

Speaking of Glenn, here is another beloved Holsonbake purchase. I have been trying to pick up some of those PCGS mid-grade VF 1899-S specimens... much tougher to get quality VF than XF/AU in my opinion for this date-mint. On this one, it does seem more "smooth" in appearance vs. the "freshness" (is that the best term?) sought after for surface quality. What might be some reasons why the planchet surfaces, perhaps somewhat similar to this one, look like smooth rocks found at the bottom of creek beds?

I'll try to post more pics when I can. Thanks for the comments! - Tim (the sedulous Barber collector)

• Options

Now compare the previous PC25 with this PC25 but CAC'd in this case. Last I checked the POP was 3 in VF-25. I don't know who holds the 3rd one.

When I look at this one (apologies for the lackluster pics - I am always impressed on how Vern does a great job on his), I might see a little of the same phenomenon here but to a lesser degree. Perhaps I am simply too nit-picky on my assessment. I thoroughly enjoy the Ponyexpress specimen and this one - don't get me wrong. Just trying to assess a clearer picture in my mind on what you all might think in terms of quality at this level of wear. - T

• Options
    edited November 3, 2016 9:09PM

Then you have this PCGS VF-30 specimen I spent some serious coin to get...

For this one, it definitely does not have the same look as if it might be sea sick or something. The surface quality here seems to be more of what I might look for. Many of you are more experienced than I on this - trying to get some bearings. Thanks, T

• Options

BTW, Mike, it was Glenn's son who sold me that '07-S twenty-five cent hole-filler in 2013. You were there but the table was busy and everyone was engaged with clients. - T

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keeping the 1899 Quarter theme going, a new member of my set showed up in the mail yesterday- a 1899 O 25C PC 55:

Although this one doesn't have beautiful coloeful toning I like it.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Welcome Tim to the hottest thread in the forums!

Barbers Rule!

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Not fancy but I liked this coin for a good price.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2016 6:16AM

Mike, The 2013 pic was a good one and a number of folks either left or didn't want their pictures taken before the photo was snapped.

Jeff, Thanks for the warm welcome! the '99-O seems like one of those that will grow on you if you stare at it long enough. High point dirt or circ wear from finger oils makes it an interesting looker. Kind of reminds me of the tone color I have seen off of well used metal handrails - a much more preferred and pleasing look of color use when in depth of gaze staring at your PC55! Nice pick up.

• T the SBC

• Options

@mrkbrown87 said:
    Not fancy but I liked this coin for a good price.

I might like it too, but for some reason I don't see it.....

• Options
    edited November 4, 2016 9:32AM

Here's another Barber Quarter that showed up in the mail yesterday, a 1906 PC AU 58. This one came from Alberta, Canada!

I know this coin is too "white" looking for most, but I like this look- a nice light coppery toning.

I have some slab polishing to do on this one.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2016 9:38AM

Jeff, Daannnnggg!, I see some gentle color in there. Sweetly nice, in a confectionary type of way. Those northern neighbors can sure dish out tasty treats! ... in a Tim Horton's sort of way.

• Options

I got this for my album. I haven't seen it in hand yet but she is pretty

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Nice pick up for the raw book, Mark. Its one of my favorite dates...

Jeff : Love the 1906 Phila Quarter !!

Guess I'll have to add some 1899-S Quarter Images.....

////// I would if I could add images...Photobucket is down for maintenance.... :( \\\\

Guess I could try from my home library ... if The Geek Squad didn't wipe out so many images...
    I didn't pay to have back ups..... :#

All I have is a Dime on my lap top .... its a beauty though....LOL

Sorry - no 99-S Quarters available !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Tim { Sedulous } ...Glenn's son lives in Alaska - he's taller than Glenn ...you must be referring to
    Glenn's helper, Dennis, who Glenn sponsored to come to the USA from the Netherlands.

Glenn's business partner, Steve Feltner, now does all the shows - and Glenn runs the Brick & Mortar
    in Sacramento.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

@MFH said:

Guess I'll have to add some 1899-S Quarter Images.....

////// I would if I could add images...Photobucket is down for maintenance.... :( \\\\

Guess I could try from my home library ... if The Geek Squad didn't wipe out so many images...
    I didn't pay to have back ups..... :#

No need for Photobucket or resizing images any more. Just drag and drop the file and the website resizes it and uploads it.

Nice '99 S Dime by the way!

• Options

Jeff.... There is a need for photobucket if the Geek Squad wiped all your images off
    your lap top. I have them backed up on Photobucket. Can't use PB with my iPad to
    post here. So...it's off to the lap top to PB then I can post.... Thanks for the kind words
    on the 1899-S Dime. I have more Dimes than I care to mention.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Here's my current 97-S Half .... I like it for a AU 50 .... fits right in with the surrounding coins...

photo 1897-S-50c-P50 copy_zpswpneksih.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I have toooo many things going on...LOL....

Here's my 1899-S Half....

1899-S PC 53 OBV photo 1899-SHalfPC53OBV_zps49b237ae.jpg
    photo 1899-SHalfPC45REV8-13_zps513a96c7.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

...and my Quarter to show that I am much more partial to my Quarter set than my Half set !!
    photo 1899-S Quarter PCGS 58 CAC_zpspjmrourp.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2016 3:01PM

Tim - Great to see you on the Mega Thread. Really enjoyed your article on 1899 S quarters in the journal a while back!

Jeff- Really like your 06 quarter. FWIW I think that that its an underrated P date, akin to the 1896 P. Nice pickup!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

Mike-

I really like the look of your '97 S Half- it tops my PC XF 45:

• Options
    edited November 14, 2016 11:22AM

JKT - Thanks for the encouragement! Like the '99-S and '06-O quarters, I am interested in writing another topic or two for the Journal. As fellow thread participants, any ideas or interests? I would like to give out more analysis-related feedback to everyone that might help you either (a) manage your collections better, (b) better understand the value of your coins and collections, or (c) understand the relative rarity of grades for specific dates... or groupings of dates. So you know what I have been currently doing research on - 1892 to 1898 Philadelphia Half Dollars. I have found these may be more difficult to acquire than we think (as a group). This stems from some analytical studies from the Barber half dollar BCCS census. Would finishing an article on this be of interest? Perhaps you can direct me on digging into some other research? thanks!

Jeff - Unreal-beautiful on that '06! I am sure Vern would agree with me - that '06 quarter in PC58 is awesome! I love the light, mellow color over pristine surfaces. I know I commented on that specimen before but I am repeating myself: Nice! BTW, The '06-D I shared earlier in my second thread submission is also about a 58 I think - my expectation when I eventually send it into our hosts. I am a bit of a miser so I am waiting until I have a nice grouping of specimens to send in to save on shipping!

Jeff #2: Ok. I am presenting here my '99-O from my VF collection. I am putting together a raw, mid-grade collection of Barber quarters into the Wayte Raymond (like new) National Coin Album I picked up. I don't actually plan to put the coins into the album until I have what I think would look nice together. I don't know if I will finish it in the realm of Dave Lange's successful effort (minus the '01-S), but I would like to try. Purchased in June 2012 from Henry W. in Missouri:

Here is the (like new) Wayte Raymond album with box:

Mike, What a nice set of halves! I am just loving being able to visually soak in the reverse of your '99-S quarter dollar. Wow! The color on the dime is phenomenal. Great coin!

Jeff #3: It took awhile for your '97-S half to load - must be a big file! That is good quality for a tough date. Great pick-up.

• T

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

I would love to read a piece on early P mint half dollars. Some of those dates seem very scarce in F-VF in my limited experience. Especially the 92, 94 and 96.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree. Those 3 philly dates are among the last ones I need for my 92-03 LOC album.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2016 9:32PM

log and dog, Thanks for the ideas on what to focus on for study. In the spirit of the dates mentioned, here are my '92, '94, and '96 Philly dates in quarters - roughly covering the same grade range as part of my Wayte Raymond album endeavor:

• T the SBC

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

Great quarters! Dogwood, I'm glad you brought the 03P into the equation. Although I don't feel it's in the same air as the other three I mentioned in F-VF, its definitely a tough date to find problem free.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2016 10:17PM

@LogPotato said:
    I would love to read a piece on early P mint half dollars. Some of those dates seem very scarce in F-VF in my limited experience. Especially the 92, 94 and 96.

I've seen some really attractive and original 1892 half dollars in the F-EF range in the past, but the 1894 is extremely under-rated by many folks, in my opinion.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree on the 92,94,and 96. Of the 3 I can't keep 92's in F-VF! Perhaps I should ask a little more! :smile: I do sell them for less than 94's and 96's. I would also rate the 93 the same as the 92 in F-VF. Along with the 03, the 08 is not as easy as you would think in midgrades.

• Options

Thanks everyone. Keep the comments coming on Philly halves if you haven't chimed in yet. I appreciate the mid-range grade (F/VF) comments and how you see those as difficult to acquire in non-details grade. As a rule, a lot of the comments I find in previously published material are focused on registry-level or high-end types of specimens (example: Jeff Ambio's book on Barber dimes - trying not to diminish what a great read that was) I am wanting to get after increasing published knowledge around mid-range grades. When you write with that focus, additionally interesting content can surface concerning circulation of the mintages. Question: With the later dates mentioned like the '03 and '08, is there an interest to expand analysis to all Philly dates? or perhaps a general half dollar-focused analysis of Philly dates verses mintmarked dates? or perhaps I can stick with the original game plan but pull in occassional comments and comparisons like with the '03 and '08... I'll consider those options. Thanks again everyone. - T

• Options

Having searched for XF to AU Halves only I didn't realize the '92 Philly was a tough date in F to VF. It's such a common date in XF to AU! I agree that the '94 and '03 are tough to find- especially the '94. I've been fortunate enough to find four raw AU '03 halves that graded in the last 5 years, but only one '94 (the 58 in my set). I've also found several raw '96 halves that graded, but this seems to be a date recognized as tough. I've never considered the '08 as difficult in XF to AU- it's fairly common. Interesting read.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baltimore was a very good show, although no barber acquisitions for me. I did see the nicest AU 93-S half I've ever seen. It was already committed to another member of this forum, and I'm certain we'll have pictures of it here sometime in the near future. Had lots of good coin conversations with collector friends and dealers. The BCCS meeting had a nice crowd and was informative. What a great hobby.

Lots of very nice coins posted in the three days I was away.

Tim - Welcome again.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting comments on the Philly Barber halves. I would chime in on the 05 as similar to the 03 and 08. Just a little tougher to get. The 94 can really take some time to find in XF-AU, my collecting range. Like Jeff, I had no idea the 92-P was difficult in any grade. A lot of beautiful XF-AU examples available.
    Mike: I like your 99-S half, very original, great look.
    Vern HATED to miss the show, enjoyed your report.
    Tim: Enjoying your posts. Always trying to expand my Barber knowledge.
    Lenny: Hope we can meet at FUN. You also Mike and Jeff! :)
    Jim

• Options

Vern, I was thankful to hear the BCCS meeting was well attended. I am sensing from your report an increasing trend is happening here and the meeting attendance is another positive sign that the future of Barber collecting is bright. Thanks for your Barber Half insight input as well. The '09-O would look beautiful in hand I am sure. Knowing your quality eye, you have now peaked my attention for looking forward to seeing that '93-S!

Jim, Jeff, and everyone else who contributed their knowledge on Philly halves, THANK YOU! With your permission, I will use your comments as a guidepost for article-writing. You have all convinced me an article on early Philadelphia half dollars would be a worthwhile adventure. I am excited! and want to get to work with reinvigorated purpose.

• T

• Options

Regarding the 05 Phillie! It's a semi-key and I don't group it with the other Phillies. It is a notch under the 13,14,+15 IMHO!

Verne...Nice chatting as always and I enjoyed this Club meeting the most so far!

• Options
    edited November 6, 2016 5:16PM

I had a decent time at the Baltimore show today even tho only 15-20 dealers were there and not much slabbed seated and barber type that caught my eye as I am being super picky about what I purchase for my type sets. I did see 2 absolutely amazing barber quarters there at 1 table. A bright white 96-S in PC-63 and probably the best 01-S pc-55 that's available to the market. It was perfect for the grade and honestly better than a 58 I saw in a heritage sale a while back. I can't remember the guys name but he was asking like $47k for it which if I had the funds I would have bought without hesitation. I was gna ask of i could take a picture but he was kinda weird and his wife was packing things away. I did meet Andy from Angel dees and what a great guy he is. We had about a 30 minute conversation about his Buffalo set and he gave me one advice on some of my coins that I'm sending for grading. When. I first walked in a saw a pretty 1896 Philadelphia quarter that I like and went back at the end of the show and bought it on my way out. It has a few contact marks but the goldi
    sh
    purple toning really is beautiful in hand.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Holy smokes. The holder is scratched and the picture shows alot more chatter than I could see at the show. O well I bout it right and it will probably go in my album.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

No offense...I hope.....But that is a knarly quarter Jack the Ripper made toast out of. Absolutely astonished PCGS straight graded it(I am assuming)

@mrkbrown87 said:
    I had a decent time at the Baltimore show today even tho only 15-20 dealers were there and not much slabbed seated and barber type that caught my eye as I am being super picky about what I purchase for my type sets. I did see 2 absolutely amazing barber quarters there at 1 table. A bright white 96-S in PC-63 and probably the best 01-S pc-55 that's available to the market. It was perfect for the grade and honestly better than a 58 I saw in a heritage sale a while back. I can't remember the guys name but he was asking like $47k for it which if I had the funds I would have bought without hesitation. I was gna ask of i could take a picture but he was kinda weird and his wife was packing things away. I did meet Andy from Angel dees and what a great guy he is. We had about a 30 minute conversation about his Buffalo set and he gave me one advice on some of my coins that I'm sending for grading. When. I first walked in a saw a pretty 1896 Philadelphia quarter that I like and went back at the end of the show and bought it on my way out. It has a few contact marks but the goldi
    sh
    purple toning really is beautiful in hand.

• Options
    edited November 6, 2016 8:30PM

Mark...Maybe it's me, but I didn't see the 1896 Quarter you bought....
    Obviously, Darrell was able to see it ...and critique it....

One thing I learned some time ago, the lighting in most shows is strange;
    it tricks the eyes.... but bottom one is, if you liked it in bad lighting, you'll
    like it when you got it home. I'd like to see it, could you repost ? Thanks.

EDIT: I left the Ipad and got on the lap top - and the images are there
    of your NEWP, Mark. I have to say, I agree with Darrell, don't know how
    { or why } the coin was straight graded. Sorry - you'll be able to recant
    this story for years to come.

I cruised eBay and located a nice 1900-O Quarter in AU 58 - and this weekend
    I redid my ledger sheets and I have a nice AU 53 in my set ( ex: Paesan ). Mentally,
    I knew I'd like to upgrade that date.

When I ended up registering my newp, there was a beautiful True View waiting for me !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim - I look forward to seeing your article.

Mark - Only 15-20 dealers around on Saturday, WOW! Didn't see the 96-S and 01-S qtrs you mentioned. Perhaps the dealer was Jack Beymer?

Mike - Congrats on the '00-O newp.

Pics for this AM, newp into Milo's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2016 2:58PM

Vern- i went Sunday. I worked SAT. maybe it was jack. He was an older fellow maybe in his 70s and his wife. I'm aggrevated about the 96 quarter and I agree it should not be in a Pcgs holder. I wish I wasn't as blind as I am with only 1good eye it's getting weaker in low light I guess.

Mike- I almost bought that quarter last night.

Darrel- I agree with you

Another newP and my first of the date and MM. So hard to find.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2016 10:38AM

Mark- I LOVE the new '07 S Quarter; great pickup.

Mike- I LOVe your new '00 O Quarter as well. It came at a great price fro such a handsome coin. Such a great strike from New Orleans!

• Options

Like Mike's '00-O, the visuals on the coin are digitally enhanced with TrueView - pops out at you! It makes me wonder if Mark's '07-S would benefit similarly with digitally administered TrueView treatment? to the enjoyment for our visual pleasure?

Vern - Thanks for sharing the '01. I like the color. I wonder if the obverse would 'pop' a little more with a brighter light setting applied? just wondering. It seemed slightly dark to me for some reason.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2016 4:32PM

I agree with Jeff, that's one heck of a 1907-S Quarter - it took me forever to locate one for
    my current set - your's looks to be an AU 53 ? I recently sold off all my duplicate 07-S Quarters
    with Heritage at the FUN sale in July. I still have a couple which are keepers, a MS 65 which I
    bought from Harry Laibstain - and a nice AU 53 from a Heritage auction earlier this year. I am
    still scouting for another AU 58.

By the way, check out eBay - for Barber Quarters - a dozen or so were listed last night
    ( hence my Newp ) - and the seller has a slew of nice circ. Mid grade Barber Halves.

He had an 1897-S Quarter ( MM far right ) in PCGS 58 - Secure Plus holder - and he was
    "Giving it away". ( in a manner of speaking ).

I have a very nice 97-S Quarter in "PL" AU 55 from the Boston Gals; I bought that one last year
    and paid a Grand more for it than the newly listed AU 58.

This seller seems very fair in his ask prices. You should all check him out. His name is Walt Ankerman ...
    Speaking of "Walt" - anyone know how Walt Kennedy is doing with his Seated Quarter collection ?

An old guy in his 70's..... With a MS 1896-S Quarter & an AU 55 1901-S Quarter - really sounds
    like Jack Beymer and his wife ( Rose ? ) ...who always has a flower in her hair .... Almost her trade mark.
    I wonder if the 01-S Quarter is my old one that was bought off of Harry Laibstain by George Harrison -
    who incidentally has the nicest AU 55 1901-S Quarters I have ever seen.

For those who are looking for a 1901-S Quarter in PCGS 50 - Harry Laibstain does have a very
    respectable AU 50 in inventory ( and I was informed by the 1901-S Police {lol} that this coin is
    out of the Crabtree collection. )

Hope all is well with everyone - happy hunting.

edit to add seller's last name.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2016 2:57PM

Mike it'saPcgs 55 . I saw those coins I justI happen to see it as soon as he listed them. I would die for a PL barber quarter to go along in my PL type set.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Mike- also I spoke to Walt Kennedy a few weeks ago. He has a beautiful 76CC quarter that I'm going to purchase as soon as I can.

Tim- I will send that coin for true view but that's the pics that came with the coin. I cropped them so I will post new ones in old pics place

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Jeff- thanks for the compliment. it's the first one I have owned. There was an 98-S I wanted but when I went to buy it someone had purchased it already.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file