Home U.S. Coin Forum

$20 roll of uncirculated Morgan's

I recently bought a $20 roll of uncirculated Morgan dollars. 1884 is on the obverse and CC is on the reverse of the roll. The print on the roll reads " The First National Bank of Elko, $20 DOLLARS $20, Elko Nevada. I'm tempted to open up the roll but it's so beautiful as is. I'm in a delima as to open it up or keep it as is. Any opinions as what you would do?

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tigerthecat said:
    I recently bought a $20 roll of uncirculated Morgan dollars. 1884 is on the obverse and CC is on the reverse of the roll. The print on the roll reads " The First National Bank of Elko, $20 DOLLARS $20, Elko Nevada. I'm tempted to open up the roll but it's so beautiful as is. I'm in a delima as to open it up or keep it as is. Any opinions as what you would do?

Please do not take offense at this; but I don't believe you will find inside that roll what you think you purchased. Sorry.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd wager the entire amount paid that the two nicest coins in the roll will be the ones showing. Morgans were not issued in $20 rolls "back in the day." Unfortunately, most of these "old rolls" probably get assembled right before the photo shoot.

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Please give us feedback on what you find when you open the roll...and, I would do that immediately even guessing that you will not be able to return it after opening.
    I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above.
    And...did you buy it off eBay or somewhere else?

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me also add, If you enjoy the possibility of what might have been in that roll, and if you like the coins you see on the ends if you don't open it, stick around and learn about them.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper rolls weren't invented until the 1920s. Every Morgan "roll" is put together

The more you VAM..
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2016 10:41AM

Bet it is low end BU and 81s and or 83 o inside. Open the rolls lets see :smiley:

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum, sorry about the bad news that the other posters have had to break to you.

Resell the roll as it is and cut your losses, or keep it unopened as it is and enjoy the excitement of an unscratched lottery ticket.

If you were to open it, you will find exactly one CC coin.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, there are rolling machines and paper available to roll your own.

Counterfeit Morgans are available, made in China.

Do you have a link to the auction and board members will evaluate further.

LCoopie = Les
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

You say "recently".
    If you bought it very recently, off ebay in particular, I would return it. Seriously.
    For the reasons people have stated above.

Seller most likely knew very well what he was doing. He doesn't deserve to be rewarded for screwing someone. Return it. SNAD.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

If you recently purchased the roll on EBay, do not open and return for a refund.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do know of one buyer that found a roll of mostly CC coins in an ebay auction just like yours. The bank was from Witchata, Kansas. Now, do understand that most are not legit. Rolling of coins did not begin, in earnest, until the mid 1930's as that when commercial wrappers became available. But, that being said the bank of Elko could certainly have received bags of CC dollars in the 30's, or 40's and perhaps even 50's. Not likely, but certainly possible.
    If you would make a video of opening and search I'd be excited to watch.
    good luck,
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slider23 said:
    If you recently purchased the roll on EBay, do not open and return for a refund.

open a claim if you have if any grief given. just saying

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Please do a search for these "morgan rolls" and you will find out that many of these as many above have stated are assembled and you will not be happy with what you find inside.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

gif Lost in Space photo: gif 2us97dd.gif

This is how I felt when I bought one and opened it a long time ago but you could not return it back then. Now it's a bit different you can return anything even if it says no returns..

Hoard the keys.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Return it unopened. This scam has been robbing people for years.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not be shocked if it was full of cull/low grade Morgan/Peace dollars at best, or Ike dollars at worst. If it was off eBay send them back without opening them. Think about it. If you came across a roll that had the possibility of containing thousands of dollars worth of coins, wouldn't you open it?

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also vote return it now.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

That seller has sold 45 old rolls of Morgans since August 3rd.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you decide to open it, I recommend you video tape the opening.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add to the mix they are private auctions. What a shame people get the shaft like this. You can't blame the buyer for not thinking the sale of 46 rolls of unopened morgans all from the same seller and same bank does not look like a scam! (Or more, who know how many were sold more than 90 days ago) :'(

@ajaan said:

What is this going to do? It says no returns and expect to find mixed dates. The auction does not deceive at all. The buyers are the ones deceiving themselves.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

This reminds me of many years ago, when I went to a dealer and paid about $1.50 per roll of RD 59 - 64 Lincoln Memorials from the Philadelphia and Denver mints. The end coins looked good, so I put them in a drawer and forgot about them for many years.

When I actually went through the coins, the dates were correct, but they were numismatic abortions. Someone I think wanted to see what would happen if they put some sort of acid on the coins and let them sit in it for awhile.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:

@ajaan said:

What is this going to do? It says no returns and expect to find mixed dates. The auction does not deceive at all. The buyers are the ones deceiving themselves.

I agree, the seller only promise was it was a silver dollar roll. no mention of OBW, or all CC or anything misleading. What a price he got for them also-wow.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP said he bought a roll of UNCIRCULATED Morgan Dollars. If that is what the auction said, he didn't provide a link so we don't know what the roll was list as, then if he video tapes the roll opening and there are circulated Morgans in the roll, he has cause to return the coins as 'Not as described' even if the auction says 'No returns'. Ebay will most likely back the buyer in this case. That is what taping will do.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only thing you can do is to give them negative feedback. Check their Feedback on toolhaus.org. I doubt it's all that good. And it's probably full of laudatory comments from shills in their family.

I'm not convinced the OP is not working for the Ebay seller. But, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. If there are 20 silver dollars in that roll you probably have at least $275-$300 in value.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is useless without pictures.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

no grounds for return, buyer got what was advertised. Buyer went fishing, lake was empty.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2016 2:11PM

I watched a youtube vid of a buyer opening one of these rolls, maybe 2 years ago. I believe he paid $2.5k for the roll, the best coin was an 81S maybe in 64. The rest were common dates all in 62 ish condition. The CC on one end and a 85 on the other has been played over n over for many many years, return it.

EDIT: tried searching for the vid, no luck.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

@ajaan said:
    The OP said he bought a roll of UNCIRCULATED Morgan Dollars. If that is what the auction said, he didn't provide a link so we don't know what the roll was list as, then if he video tapes the roll opening and there are circulated Morgans in the roll, he has cause to return the coins as 'Not as described' even if the auction says 'No returns'. Ebay will most likely back the buyer in this case. That is what taping will do.

That would make sense. In the listing itself, if it is the correct listing, it does not say uncirculated either.

@roadrunner said:

I'm not convinced the OP is not working for the Ebay seller. But, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. If there are 20 silver dollars in that roll you probably have at least $275-$300 in value.

I never thought of that. There are also numerous feedbacks stating all common dates. Then there are some shills buying five of them and saying how great they are. It's like a carnival game!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Aspr/sonic-drive-in-corn-dogs-corn-ival-games

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

SNAD..... or be prepared to be taken as a fool by old ebay roll scam

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could not stand not to open something like that. My suspicion its some kind of rip orr with culls or Ike junk in between. I would definitely open it.

If not satisfied would return / open case with ebay demanding refund, Would also neg seller giving a detailed description of what was inside so other potential buyers warned. No seller is going do intimidate me not to return something. I won a case on a $120 model rr loco that did not run recently.

I never bid on stuff where I can't c both sides of the coins or a photo of all 20 items in the roll both obverse and reverse.

Open it for sure, return if he ripped you - file case w ebay and neg him good.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would bet you 2-1 the CC coin that is showing the other side is a cull / badly scratched.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    Paper rolls weren't invented until the 1920s. Every Morgan "roll" is put together

Not true. Back in the early 1973 I had two original paper rolls of 25 1909 VDB's issued by a bank that went out in 1912.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

As many have said, it's a rip-off, con game playing to the human urge to get something for nothing.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    Check their Feedback on toolhaus.org.

I tried to check out someone the other day and the site claimed ebay was blocking them.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:

@CascadeChris said:

Not true. Back in the early 1973 I had two original paper rolls of 25 1909 VDB's issued by a bank that went out in 1912.

There were hand rolled coins. However, machine wrapped coins did not exist until the late 30's. So, here's the patent that was granted March 7, 1939. https://www.google.com/patents/US2149444
    This dollar roll is a machine wrapped roll (the one being discussed).

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭

return unopened is the best course of action.

what if the roll is BU and just junk is it still right to return , it would be as represented.> @thebeav said:

@roadrunner said:
    Check their Feedback on toolhaus.org.

I tried to check out someone the other day and the site claimed ebay was blocking them.

keep trying. I get that at times and it will work with a few attempts I have found.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a bit of searching around just looking for vintage dollar "wrappers," and came across a few listings...I'm sure there's a manufacturer that produces the shotgun style too somewhere. With a bit of ingenuity probably wouldn't be hard to age these to look old and original...buyer beware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332012745356?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401090904225?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

Scams like this keep people away from coin collecting ,after getting burned once ,, thinking most coin transactions are scams

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tigerthecat...First, welcome aboard. Second, read the above posts and understand the forum members are trying to help you. We who have been around ebay (and other sites) for a long time, have seen these scams over and over.
    Make your own decision, but please read the above carefully. I hope you get your money back. Cheers, RickO

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2016 8:56AM

I did a Toolhaus on that seller (gene0o0) and was stunned to find out of 536 FB's, only a single neg and 3 neutrals....99.25% rating. That tells me that 60-90% of the sheeple are firmly entrenched in not handing out bad FB no matter what happens to them....or they don't find out until way down the road where they can't do anything about it. That's why you have to figure that any FB rating under 99% for a seller with more than a few hundred FB's, is cause for concern.

I checked out 4 other "hidden" roll sellers off that same page (knhorn and juddfiduw111). Their FB ratings are in that 98-99% range. Judd has 149 negs/neutrals out of 8819 FB's....or 98.31%. Many would consider that an excellent rating. Not me. But what if 90% of the disgruntled just don't bother to report when they've been taken or don't even open the roll until months/years later? 149 total complaints is a LOT imo. Show me one of your favorite and dependable top coin sellers with 5K-10K in FB's who also have more than 0-10 negs/neutrals.

Lion_coins had a clean 100% FB with no negs/neutrals. Well done. But that still doesn't mean you won't overpay for the roll. The_Best_Treasures_For_You came out with 98.95% (33/3155). You only need to see some smoke....not some flames or a burning building. These 4 random unopened roll sellers could be the most upstanding of coin sellers....they could even marry into your family with your blessing. Their reduced FB could be from inflexible, "know-nothing" buyers that are impossible to please. Only you can judge for yourself. A very large seller like TNFC has 115,000 FB's and only 67 neg's/neutrals (99.9942%). That's more in line with what I'd expect from other 5K and 10K FB sellers....not 99.0% or lower. And the vast majority of TNFC's neg/neutrals are related to shipping, scuffy slabs, missing slab logos, or prior sales - often done during coin shows.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file