Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Just got back from the Caps Devils game. Took my stepson down for his first game! It was a good one to go to.

I would have loved to have seen that set of halves. Vern, you should have taken your point and click.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin - A good first game indeed. Caps have been amazing this season. I haven't seen Don's set of halves either, as he didn't have them with him in Spartanburg. I may have seen 1 or 2 over the years at the time of acquisition, but can't remember seeing any of the keys.

Pics for this AM, an oldie from the Cary, the barberfanatic:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin, Don's tasted mirror yours!

Liking that 95-S Verne!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Vern.... I really like the 1915 Philadelphia Half... AU 53 seems to be a fair grade, IMHO .

Darrell.... You should start a Barber BST... Post coins on a regular basis .... That way we
    can have a gander of your inventory.

Justin....bet that was a fun day at the ball game.

Nothing new to report... as the 1903-O in 64+ set me back a coupla bucks...image

Yesterday, the mailman dropped off the 1893-S Quarter - looks great in hand &
    I also received the 1902 Philadelphia Dime in PCGS 58 - also a very pretty coin.
    The 1902 Dime will get sent to CAC - glad the Quarter came CAC'd.

My new 1909-O Quarter from forumite, Cuda123, should be here by next weekend.
    I was finally able to pay off the terms of the agreement. That will also get sent to CAC
    where I feel it will get stickered. Having seen all the 58's ( owning the latest one to
    go from a 55 to a 58 ) the new one I just bought is by far the nicest of the three.
    Still, the nicest one I ever owned, regardless of grade, was the MS 63 I bought from
    Chugum and resold to Labelman87..... It's a great coin....

Well... Next Tuesday my Red Dobie gal goes in for the removal of C6 in her spine which is
    causing pressure on C7 and causing her to loose control of her walking and standing.
    She's being kept overnight for two nights - and I hope she regains her mobility.
    She's acting like an 85 yr old lady now....although I see glimpses of the young dog she is
    when she wants to play with my Black Male Dobie. He's a bull in a China Shop whereas she's
    like fine porcelain China.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Sorry, Vern, I assumed Don had the set with him. And Darrell, it sounds like Don and I would get along just fine.

Mike, sorry to hear about your dog. Hopefully it all works out. My wife and I decided to rescue a lab/beagle mix in Sept. last year for the kids.

My 95-S with a similar look

• Options
    Mike - Every now and then I check out Darrell's inventory on ebay. Glad to hear that 93-S quarter looks good in hand. Good luck with your red Dobie's surgery on Tuesday.

Justin - Cary definitely had your kind of coins.

Pics for this AM, another amazing toughie I acquired from Doug. There are 58's and then there are special 58's IMO:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern - I remember when he had his website with pictures of his halves and "Elysium" from the Gladiator soundtrack playing in the background. I spent quite a bit of time there looking at his coins.
  • Options
    Thanks for the good wishes, guys.

I spotted this on eBay - and recognized the seller's name:
    Coinpaesan ...LOL.... This is as close to an AU coin that you can get:

imageimage

{{{ I had bought the same date & MM from him {raw} when he
    was at the Ft Myers coin show with Jeff Mendenhall - in late November.
    The coin was a MS 64 REV; the OBV being "wiped". I sent that coin into
    PCGS and received what I thought I'd get, a "92" MS Details.}}}

No images yet of the MS Details coin ... YN Valente151 is coming to visit one of
    these days....

Vern:
    I really like that 08-S Quarter - I was able to trade in my 08-S back to JJ Teaparty
    which was only a 53 - and picked up the Willis AU 58... again... no images { yet }
    I'd say your 08-S is very special.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Congrats on the 07-S newp. Don't recall seeing this in the Stash, before.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection via northern Illinois, PC40:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    ...Back from 15 tough days in the Caribbean & getting up to date on the thread. Mike's new 1909-O Barber Quarter comes out of Heritage, 12/2008. (I was the under bidder.) Good luck on you CAC submission Mike.

P.S. I'm in a coin drought and need a good fix!
    Craig

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm back home from a business trip to Atlanta and find the Valentines Gift my wife gave me arrived in the mail, a 1898 S PC 58 Half:

Is it my imagination, or does the mintmark look small?

I feel lucky to have a wife that buys me such a great looking coin as a gift, even though she doesn't know she did it.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    Jeff! Wondered when you would get around to posting that! Ya got a good deal on that one!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin
    Jeff! Wondered when you would get around to posting that! Ya got a good deal on that one!

Good deal? I paid almost twice what PCGS says the coin is worth. You know darn well their Price Guide is 100% accurate. image

• Options
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa

Originally posted by: amwldcoin

Good deal? I paid almost twice what PCGS says the coin is worth. You know darn well their Price Guide is 100% accurate. image

And the last one that I know of that sold on ebay went for more than double what you paid! image

• Options
    Guys !!!

Ok, the 98-S in 58 is a nice coin.
    I bought the Surf City 98-S in 58
    in November. I remember it didn't
    come cheap, for more than PCGS
    Guide, but I don't remember what
    Guide was listed at. ( at that time ).

Wil post images when I get on the Lap Top.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MFH
    Guys !!!

Ok, the 98-S in 58 is a nice coin.
    I bought the Surf City 98-S in 58
    in November. I remember it didn't
    come cheap, for more than PCGS
    Guide, but I don't remember what
    Guide was listed at. ( at that time ).

Wil post images when I get on the Lap Top.

MFH-

You bought a really nice coin and paid less than I did. I believe the real market price for the coin should be about $1,400. You're a smart shopper!

• Options
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa

Is it my imagination, or does the mintmark look small?

The Surf City AU 58 :

Now, I can compare the mm sizes

Here's my old 98-S - now in the Srotag Collection....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I also picked up a nice 1902-O Quarter - PCGS 58:

As soon as I get it, it goes to CAC along with my new 1907-S in XF45
    and the 09-O in 58.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    That Surf City 98S half in 58 deserves like five Platinum Beans.
    I find that a good many Seated Halves have that look, but Barbers, not so much.
    Very nice.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Craig - Welcome back from your 15 day ordeal. I'll be back in Illinois shortly, perhaps we can find a way to end your drought.

Jeff - Great valentine's day gift. My wife gave me a Pixie, tasty but not as enduring.

Mike - Good luck on the CAC submission. One never knows.

Pics for this AM, the 07-S from my raw collection, a Doug duplicate a few years ago:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, latest to join my collection, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

A choice newp for the Quarter set ... This is not from the Paesan Stash !!

All of this because I wanted an AU 58...LOL....

I also have a VF 25 ... a very nice hole filler....
    ... a very choice XF 45 { looks AU 50ish } ...
    ...a MS Details..."92" ... { REV is a 64 }...

Watch...next week an AU 58 will pop up image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Great 65 Mike! I love the look of the coin,
  • Options
    Mike - Congratulations on the PC65 07-S qtr. I know what you mean when you say you were looking for a 58 and ended up with a 65. The 07-S is one of the few dates that I was willing to go for a 65 (or even a 66) just because of the rarity of the date in choice AU to MS64.

Pics for this AM, another toughie in Jim's collection, PC40:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern: The 07-s & 13 Barber Quarters certainly have the look.
    Mike: Good luck with the 07-s & 09-O

I'm tempted to put up a coin designed (really modified) by William Barber (Charles' daddy) as a stretch to this Thread. Still a Barber but the OLD ONE (MLH?) ...lol. Maybe tomorrow.
    Craig

• Options

Found this on Dave Kahn's site [ thru his email to me ]
    and I have a nice 55 from a Great Aunt of this date - and
    a wonderful AU 58 from a friend, I just couldn't resist this one:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Years ago, Glenn Holsonbake mentioned that the Type One Quarter of 1892,
    Proof Issues, were approx. 1/10 of the entire Proof Production of that year.

I have looked - for quite some time - and to no avail - to locate a nice example.
    I believe I located a choice coin in a Great Collection auction this evening.

I did some digging and this coin started out in a PCGS 65 holder - and eventually was
    resubmitted to our Hosts, and the coin received a Plus upgrade { 65+}... shortly after-
    wards, the coin was sent to CAC - and it received a Green Bean.

I located older images of the coin on HA.COM auction archives. The following images
    are from Great Collections - only the larger Reverse image shows promise. Fear not,
    my friend Valente151 { Mike } will take a much better image of it.

imageimage

Here are the HA.COM images:

Here is the coin at PR 65....

imageimage

Once it was upgraded - with a new Certificate Number:

imageimage

The Great Collection Images are at the top, showing the CAC sticker.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Craig - Please do.

Mike - Congrats on the two newps.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, my last purchase from Teletrade a few years back, ANACS-61:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Spent the last three days in Savannah, GA. My first time there. It's a beautiful area to visit.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I debated doing this on this Barber Thread but here goes (thanks Vern). William Barber was a prolific medal and pattern designer (including the very interesting Half Union 1877 gold pattern). Most remember him for the Trade Dollar as well as his design bouts with George Morgan. In 1877 he also alter the design for the Liberty $20 gold piece by spelling out twenty dollars on the reverse. The specific reason for the change is somewhat a mystery and thus began the Type III $20 Liberty.

I have an almost complete by decade, by mint $20 Liberty Gold (super) type set. The attached image of the 1877-cc is a favorite as it is a European find and the only AU55+ that I know of. I am "fishing" through my Barber Quarter images to find " my European match" to this coin.

P.S. Thanks for letting me violate the "pureness" of the Thread.

Craig

• Options
    Cool! You learned me something.
  • Options
    Glad to see you posting your Birthyear Collection.

I also learnt something new today !!

On track with a minor upgrade.... AU 55 to AU 58... Barber Quarter:

My Old AU 58 - sold in August, 2011 - still a great coin, regardless...

imageimage

My current example - an AU 55 - ex: Walt Kennedy Collection { via J.T.} ....
    This coin now is CAC

...error: posted wrong coin - will be corrected asap.

My latest example.... which is going to CAC when I get it....

imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Labelman87 that's a beautiful $20 gold, and from the CC mint. For violating the intent of the thread, you can be forgiven by sending me that coin!

Really though, the thread is titled, "The Barber Mega Thread" and doesn't say Charles or William or any other Barber out there. You must have a really nice $20 set. Maybe that's what I should collect next.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Craig - Very glad you expanded our horizons a little. Really nice looking Wm Barber work.

Mike - Congrats on the upgrade.

Pics for this AM, I am debating this upgrade, from a 55 (my current) to a 50 (from Doug's). Any opinions?

My current PC55:

To Doug's PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Originally posted by: barberkeys
    Craig - Very glad you expanded our horizons a little. Really nice looking Wm Barber work.

Mike - Congrats on the upgrade.

Pics for this AM, I am debating this upgrade, from a 55 (my current) to a 50 (from Doug's). Any opinions?

The PC 50 has a lot more "Life" in the surfaces; I understand your delima. I guess it depends on if the Registry Points mean anything or not.

• Options
    Thanks all for the kind words on William Barber.

-Mike - Check your records on the 06-O Barber Quarter. You did not sell in on 8/2011 & I know where it is!

-Dr. Pete - There are many great "sleepers" still among the $20 Libs. and the type from $1 to $20 is a great series to collect. (You might consider waiting until I find the last two $20's for my set image).

- Vern - The grade on your (Doug's former) PC 50 was missed IMO. What are the surfaces like for both?
    Craig

• Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Need some help Guys, I guess this is PVC damage correct?

damage

Thank,

Dave
  • Options
    Thanks for the thoughts on the 00-O decision. I think I will put them side by side next week when I return to Illinois, and go with whichever obverse gives the best "first" impression. Jeff - The registry points are not a determining factor to me. Craig - Both have good surfaces, but the 50's are more to my tastes. Paesan - I agree with you on the lack of shield detail on the 55, but it has the better star detail on the obverse.

Dave - Looks like PVC residue, but I don't think it's thick enough to be damage. I bet it will come off without changing the tone of the coin, by using a light application of acetone via a Q-tip. If you try the acetone, make sure you rinse the coin thoroughly with distilled water when you're done.

Pics for this AM, a beauty from Paesan's Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Vern,
    Its in a PCGS AU-58 holder, I was wondering if it was just missed when holdered or possibly sent in for restoration and then put in the slab.

If I send it into PCGS to have them look at it, I might not get it back in the holder, It's an1892-O AU-58. I haven't done business with them lately and don't know their process, One of the local dealers didn't think it was pvc, and I got a pic of the coin from 4 years ago when it was in a Heritage auction. It looks the same now as it did 4 years ago so maybe it isn't pvc just some green looking gunk.
    Just thought someone here might have sent one in to be restored, wasn't sure how that works.

Dave

• Options
    Dave, I believe PCGS would remove that if you send it in under review. It also depends on whether it is hard or not(IE if acetone will remove it). I recently had PCGS restore a coin which had turned in the holder for a customer.

Many nice coins posted since I last posted! image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: daveyn
    Vern,
    Its in a PCGS AU-58 holder, I was wondering if it was just missed when holdered or possibly sent in for restoration and then put in the slab.

If I send it into PCGS to have them look at it, I might not get it back in the holder, It's an1892-O AU-58. I haven't done business with them lately and don't know their process, One of the local dealers didn't think it was pvc, and I got a pic of the coin from 4 years ago when it was in a Heritage auction. It looks the same now as it did 4 years ago so maybe it isn't pvc just some green looking gunk.
    Just thought someone here might have sent one in to be restored, wasn't sure how that works.

Dave

Dave- FWIW, it looks like toning to me. The green seems to only exist in places where PVC wouldn't have made contact with the coin surfaces.

The restoration process is risky. There's no guarantee it will come back in the same slab, and it could end up with a details grade, If it were my coin I would love it as-is.image

• Options
    Re: Dave Nobel's question:
    I wish I could say with all certainty that it was one or the other. If it's toning
    than I have never seen that exact type before, same goes with PVC, my only
    experience was with a O/C Buffalo nickel that my second set of eyes ( YN Valente)
    noticed when he was imaging my collection.

YN Valente suggested I send it in for PCGS restoration ... When the coin was returned
    in its new holder, the PVC was still in the recesses of the reverse. The coin was originally
    graded MS 62. It was returned in a ms 62 holder.

I sent the coin to my friend, who gave it an very judicious acetone bath, nothing more,
    except for a rose thorn to detail the area around E Pluribus Unum where the PVC was
    pretty thick. He sent it back into PCGS (raw, obviously & without the old insert ). The coin
    was eventually returned to me as a MS 64 !!!

For what it's worth, the green "toning" on Dave's coin is not of the same hue as my
    PVC infected Buffalo. The primary reason I thought it was toning.

I await my second set of eyes' opinion !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Dave - If the areas in your close up pic are the only green areas on the coin, and as it's already in a PC58 holder, I'd leave it as is. I wouldn't take any chances on messing with what looks like an originally toned piece. Personally, I've never sent a coin in for restoration.

Pics for this AM, another toughie to contemplate, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern...hard choices, I wish I had...

That's a lovely 96-O in 58.... compare with mine:

EX: NGC 58 - Crossed as a 58. Not CAC'd.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - I was hoping to post your previous 96-O in 58, that I bought in your 2011 HA sale, but can't seem to find it in photobucket. I sold it when I acquired this one, one of my only two quarters in MS65:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, the 96-O in my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern,

I sent you the HA images of my old 96-O in 58,
    I can't blame you for selling it when you got the
    upgrade.

Here's the one I just sold when I upgraded to a 58
    a couple of months back....

Here's the 58 you bought at the August, 2011 auction:

imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    The Dallas ANA Show auction was filled with nice coins but
    you can't buy everything you see...image

I did pick up three Dimes - { One addition - a proof }
    and two upgrades...image

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

I also was eyeing a nice 1904-O Quarter and I was High Bidder for the entire auction - when
    someone at the last second bumped my max bid { also at the exact second the dogs were barking their heads off at some golfers }
    and before I could get back to the auction, my lot was done and the new bidder beat my split bid by $20. Twenty Dollars !! image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT:
    I just left eBay's listings and I thought I had seen a 1904-O Quarter the other day...
    seems as if I didn't pay much attention to it as I was high bidder on the white one
    at Heritage.... but after I finished recanting my tale {above} ... I remembered the
    eBay coin. Seems it was still there - warmly toned and $200+ less than the Heritage one.

imageimage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took the loud mouthed dog to the dog park and let him burn off some energy.
    { The female is still quarantined to bed rest for another week.}

While at the dog park, my iPhone buzzed me - a text saying my Sunday Night Auction
    bid was out bid - and as I really wanted this { 1917-S SLQ - PCGS 58 FH } for my Dad's
    Birthyear Set... so, as I lost out on the 1904-O, I went a little heavy on the SLQ. Yes, I won
    that SLQ. Now, all type One SLQ's are complete - all in PC 58.image

It turned out to be a great day afterall... finally got a nice 04-O Quarter in 58 .... plus,
    the 04-O in 55 that I have has a great look as well... and worth salting away for a few
    years.....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Congrats Mike, you had a GREAT sunday. image

Time for a Barber Half Dollar POP Quiz.....

There are 2 Barber Half dates where PCGS has certified more than 100 AU 58's- name them!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file