Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff! Are you looking at the ebay glorified pictures or the Heritage pictures? Purdy sure it's a turd in hand! image

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same coin- just a little brighter on the eBay site.

I guess I must like turds. Don't let my wife know.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I picked this up from a seller in Sweden [ via eBay ] for my Everyman Set

Now, lets hope I get it. LOL
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Nice dime- what was it doing in Sweden? Does it come with the Bikini Team?
  • Options

The seller has a nice 1908-S Dime in PCGS 58 for sale

just in case anyone is looking for one. If I hadn't already had

one - I might have grabbed this one.

Vern...you're right - Photobucket was down for a few hours yeaterday

and they botched up the site. I've been having fits downloading images.

I located an old image of the 1909 Half I just bought. It shows all the color &

luster. I must have seen the coin and loved it so much, I copied the images.

As I mentioned, I was the underbidder when Goldberg's were auctioning it off.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Ok...the images finally downloaded...

1909-Phila - PCGS 65

{ VS }

Goldberg's images .....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paesan - Yes, this is the rare 3-sided coin. Our hosts had a hard time putting it in a cube type holder.

Darrell - That's some interesting pricing dynamics for PCGS graded AU 1901-O halves on ebay you are bringing attention to. Quite a spread, but I imagine you know the market for barber halves better than anyone. And since you're slamming his coin, I take it you and Harry don't go to lunch very often.

Jeff - I'd increase my barber dime collection in a hurry if the bikini team was involved.

Mike - Nice dime acquisition from across the pond. And your 09 half is really a beauty. Good grab, since Goldberg's pictures don't do it justice at all.

Pics for this AM, my 01-O half, PC62:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Verne! Oops...didn't realize it. I haven't ever seen them sell on ebay before!

• Options
    Lottsa nice coins all of you are posting!

Yes!,Yes!,Yes!!! Made 5 more AU58+'s! All are POP 1's for the moment. 2 I sent in last time so I guess the dice rolled in my favor and I got a different set of eyes on them. I've got 1 that is puzzling me. Cert # 30526030 Under the cert verification it shows the grade etc. but when I added it to my inventory it does not and I'm unable to add it to my set.

• Options

Congrats, Darrell. I knew there were a few "+" in those blue boxes of yours.

Great looking set !!

Now...I need to see it on the Registry !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Congrats Darryl! After looking at the coins you were sending in I'm surprised there weren't a few more. Someday I'll get around to trying out the + game as well, but it appears to be an expensive undertaking.

Out of curiosity Darryl are you planning on submitting the coins to CAC? image

• Options
    Thanks Mike and Jeff.

Mike,PCGS automatically revised the grades. I forgot to update my records on the 1910 in my registry. The picture in my album is my 1910 in 58+ which was the 4th 1910 in 58 that has been in my set!

Not planning on doing the CAC thing.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Hope it is OK to post this here, now that the auction is over. I thought the auction of our PCGS Registry Barber Half Set overall went well at FUN. The sale followed the current state of the coin market. By that I mean the best-looking coins, particularly the top-pop or nearly so, in highest grades, did the best, with some going very high. That was expected for the 04-S and the 92-O micro O, but the 06-S was right there with them. Apparently there were two or three bidders after some of the top pop and nicest specimens. The more common dates, even though the coins were nice, didn't do as well. Thus, the auction showed the multiple tiers reported in the coin market by many. Luckily the upper echelon coins pull the others along, so that the overall results turn out OK.

It was fun sitting in the auction room the two nights as the coins sold and watching the action live. Our coins in the Wednesday night session sold later than I had hoped, but the time finally came and the coins did OK, as these were the ones not deemed valuable enough by Heritage to warrant Platinum night. A few of them went to nice levels, despite the cutoff levels determined by Heritage to separate into Platinum/No Platinum. The Thursday night Platinum Night auction action was much more fun and I had many smiles on my face, with my wife sitting by, as we watched coins sell one-by-one. We really liked it when the bidding got spirited on some of the coins as prices kept creeping up. Who wouldn't? I think the auctioneer did a great job on those coins especially and felt we got all the money that anyone was going to get us for the coins.

I saw who some of the bidders were, but many bids come on the internet and from other sources. I suspect about 1/2 sold to bidders in the room and 1/2 to internet bidders, but I don't know for sure. For any of you who won lots, congratulations and I hope my "children" have good homes for many years to come. I know MFH wanted that gorgeous 1897, but it sold for way more than either he or I expected. I was really hoping Mike would get that one!

Perhaps the greatest thing of all was that multiple people (including some prominent dealers) came up to me before and during the auction and told me how nice our coins were overall. That is very kind of them, as well as satisfying. It attests to the model we had in place to take our time, buy nice coins and have a very competent agent help us along the way. Buying quality coins seems to be a very good approach. Heritage also provided a limited number of souvenir catalogs to us, and I was able to distribute some to my Barber friends and others. I got to have my 15 minutes of fame signing them for people.

Now the big question, what will I collect next? Even I don't know yet, but I will still be very active in coins and will try to make as many coin shows as I can helping at Harry Laibstain's tables. He always has so many nice coins that I don't have to look far to find coins I want.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice post Dr. Pete. It is pretty scary just watching my own coins up for auction online...it would be maddening to witness it in the actual room with (hopefully) bid cards flailing about. Congrats on a successful auction!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Congrats again Dr. Pete! Just a thought, why not go for the Low Ball Barber Half Title? You'd have both ends of the spectrum.

Darryl- I count 11 + coins in your set- WOW! You've really put together a great set; now you need to find a 58 '97 O to really make the set elite. There are 3 floating around; do you know who has them?

• Options
    Dr.Pete

It was nice meeting you and happy the overall results of your sale worked out for you. Nice write up!

Jeff! I have 13....the 1910 I just made evidently has a glitch in the computer upload as I can't add it yet.
  • Options

Dr.Pete: Yes, I thought I'd really have a chance on the 1897 Half. I should have realized it

would sail over the 10K mark. After all, it was a 66+ and if I say so myself, one of the

the most beautifully toned Halves in your collection. I was pleased to hear that the net

results were actually above your estimate. Congratulations and maybe you could start

another Barber series, i.e. Quarters.

Let me know when you are going to be in The Sunshine State again !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Pete, Congrats on your successful sale. I worry about doing Heritage auctions and I'm glad to hear your experience was positive.
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Darrell - Congrats on the plus grades. Our hosts really know how to market, don't they?

DrPete - Thanks for the report on your auction. I imagine it was a bittersweet experience, given the care you put into your collection. Whatever your next collection may be, I'm sure it will be eye appealing.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, NGC-55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the close-up on the date from page 105 Barber Dime. It sure looks like a match in a later die state; lower loop on the "8", inside the lower portion of the "9" and the base of the "2" share characteristics with the reference piece in the lower image.

I am going to repost this in the Main Forum, just wanted to see if any Barber Collectors see the same thing.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    You'll have to wait for MFH to chime in- he seems to know the dimes.

I was away on business this week in the New Orleans area; several coins arrived in the mail. Like Christmas here today!

First up, a 1893 NGC AU 58 TDR (Triple Die Reverse):

I like the colors on the coin. I plan on sending to our host for crossover, but it may come back in a 55 holder. It will find a place in my Barber Half Variety set.

• Options
    Another coin that showed up this week- a 1911 S PCGS AU 58:

This replaces the PC 53 in my set. I realize this coin won't be getting a "plus" grade, but it's more than a plastic purchase to me.

• Options
    And the Piece de Resistance, a 1907 S 50C PCGS AU 58:

This replaces the XF 45 in my set. This coin went on the market the day after Don Willis retired his set ( I spoke with him about it at FUN). Don told me he would have purchased it if he hadn't just retired his set.

My goal for 2016 was to complete the Everyman Barber Half set with AU graded coins. Now the set is two short; my '97 O is a VF 35 and '97 S is a XF 45. Only 2 to go!

Thank God I left the easy ones for last..... image

• Options
    Jeff,You are really making progress! I think you a great price on that 11-S. It is what it is. I was just a watcher at the FUN auction this go round.

• Options

H82Wait...

These are different coins, I presume. Both are RPD's. Different dies.

Jeff... I love the NGC 1893 Half as well as the 07-S. The 11-S / not so much.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    oih8 - looks like the RPD to me.

Jeff - Congrats on the newps, especially the 07-S. Myself, I like the look of the 11-S the best (even with the scratch on the cheek).

Pics for this AM, newp for me from Doug's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    My December PCGS submission arrived in the mail yesterday. Not too much exciting, but my raw '09 inverted S came back as an AU 50:

I'm working on the major variety set. I've decided to increase the difficulty a bit by finding the Micro O from circulation.

• Options
    Jeff, Thanks for posting your newly graded 1909-S inverted S.

I might have been a bit more generous with the grade, I call it an AU 53 !

Nice looking coin.

Edit to add new addition to the V Nickel collection.

Not as "high brow" as many shown - but a nice coin

for the modest grade.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff - Cherrying a micro O would be the ultimate for any collector, no less one as passionate about barber halves as you are. I hope you succeed.

Mike - Congrats on the newp V nickel, tough date.

I went looking for pics of my friend Dan's micro O, a perfect PC10, but find I don't have any. I'll have to remedy that this spring. Thinking of micro O's brought to mind the wonderful example Joe W "made". If you're looking in Joe, how about posting pics again?

Pics for this AM, I haven't posted this beauty from Dan in quite a while, PC65:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Jeff,

Finding a micro O half as a cherry-pick IS possible. I did it once. About 15-20 years ago I bought a nearly complete but low-grade Barber half set from a dealer in Michigan. I almost did not buy the set as it was from Poor to G+ and the semi keys that were in the set were really worn. I had bought a nicer set from him a month earlier (mostly G to VG, with a few AG coins) and he wanted to get rid of the second set, too. It was years later when I was looking at the coins more closely that I picked up on the micro O. I was pretty sure it was the rare variety as I had several other examples at the time. It graded a micro O at PCGS as AG3. I wanted to compensate the dealer for my find, but alas, he was deceased when I found out what I had.

I also believe that Brian Greer has found two, maybe more examples not previously attributed. Keep your eyes open. You may find one yet!

I have sold off my main Barber half dollar set, but held back some of my varieties from the auction. The MS 66 11-s/s and the MS65 micro O half both were of sufficient value to have in the FUN sale, but others not. I have the 1892 TDR in PCGS MS 62, and an 1893 TDR NGC AU53 or 55, both these coins are valued at an amount less than my other coins put in the auction. I decided I would keep them as souvenirs for now. My 09-S in 67+ was the inverted S variety, but I did not have the regular S. My intent was to eventually get all the varieties, but then I decided to sell. Good luck on your pursuit.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also found a micro o once several years ago. It ended up grading good-6.

About 4 years ago, had a pair of brothers come in the shop with several Whitman coin folders full of coins had barber sets of dimes, quarters and halves, big quarter dates were not there. Also had some other stuff. Collection was about 20k . They wanted to think about it , and left. never herd anything back from them for a long time. Fast forward to about a year later. One son had just started at UCF in Orlando, so my wife was running down there often his first year, and takin in Disney while there. I am not much of a park fan as they are, so after about 4 days I came back home. This first day back in the shop, the two brothers just so happen to walk in and say you remember us, and I said yeah, the barber stuff.

They sold the whole collection, said they had went several other places and most were lower, couple close, but they liked dealing with me so they came back to me. Well it so happen after reviewing the collection later, I discovered the micro O half. Didnt pick up on it the first time I reviewed the collection, and apparently neither did anyone else who looked at it previously.

jim

Oh by the way Vern I love that 95-o (course you know I do)

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Pete's old F/VF Barber Half set with permission from Dr. Pete via Darrell. This is really cool.

• Options
    Thanks LogPotato,

Neat how you posted those multiple images of pages into a continuous-looking image. That wasn't really my first Barber set. I started like many, with AG/G/VG. That F/VF set took me about 10 or more years to find all those coins and around $8K. Sold the set and got $10-11K, as I recall, when I was chasing the high-end mint state coins. Wish I still had all those. Loved the 97-O and many others. Hard to find them in mid-grade not polished or harshly cleaned. I think I recognized some of them in slabs recently at FUN.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options

I really like the Dansco presentation. It reminds me of the sets I once assembled.

My first set was started in 1967/68. The only coin I had not found until years later

was the 1896-O. It wasn't until the mid 1970's before I located a choice VG 10 which

finally completed my set.

Another forum member once put together a mock Dansco Album for me for my SLQ's.

As well as my Early Commems. ( These are buried somewhere in the bowels of my Desk Top

which I no longer use.)
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Vern, Dan's 1895-O in PCGS 65 would be a nice addition to my Sime set,

as it matches almost exactly, my 1895 Philadelphia in PCGS 64 - which I bought

from David Weygant at a Baltimore show a few years back. Recently, at FUN, I

spotted Mrs. Weygant and had a nice conversation with her. They use to be at every

show I attended for a few years while I was assisting Glenn Holsonbake, and we'd chat

about some of the nice coins Dave had in his cases. She's handling his loss well. But you

can tell, she misses him terribly. She's a lovely Lady.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DrPete

Thanks LogPotato,

Neat how you posted those multiple images of pages into a continuous-looking image. That wasn't really my first Barber set. I started like many, with AG/G/VG. That F/VF set took me about 10 or more years to find all those coins and around $8K. Sold the set and got $10-11K, as I recall, when I was chasing the high-end mint state coins. Wish I still had all those. Loved the 97-O and many others. Hard to find them in mid-grade not polished or harshly cleaned. I think I recognized some of them in slabs recently at FUN.

My Bad on doing the assume thing! Perhaps better said as your 1st set of non slicks? Tis a nice set!

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing it with us Dr. Pete. It's a set that I can really appreciate. Especially with where you started and the amazing collection you finished with.

I've been off and on with my F/VF set (now including XF) since 2011. It's a lot tougher than a lot of people think. Especially problem free. Darrell kind of took the circ sets to a whole new level with grading sets, which I think is really cool.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Just a quick resounding YES for Dr. Pete's half set.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: dogwood

Which set? I need to know if I should be going forward or backward.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa
    Originally posted by: dogwood

Which set? I need to know if I should be going forward or backward.

Forward or backward on your peer reviewed collecting focus? Or on the thread page?
    All those shiny Unc ones give me a headache, if something was posted a few pages back.
    I'm talking about the "real everyman set", the F/VF one. Beeeeutiful.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    DrPete & Jim - Neat to hear about the Micro O finds. Keep looking Jeff.

Justin & Darrell - Thanks for arranging posting of DrPete's wonderful circ barber half set. They sure look good in those Dansco pages.

Mike - Dan's 95-O dime would look good in my collection as well, but I'm afraid it's not going anywhere for years to come.

Dennis - We agree 100%. And others with different tastes, more power to them.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Thanks for all the kind comments about my former mid-grade set. I actually put that set together while I was building my mint state set. There were times I couldn't find coins for the pricier set and I still wanted to go to shows and collect something. I picked up the F/VF coins from all different kinds of places including: local shows, national shows, eBay, Heritage auction, mail order dealers, etc. I also put together about 5 sets of AG to G, G, and G+/VG level sets. I sometimes would buy complete or nearly complete sets on eBay and pick out the occasional F/VF coins and replace them with matched coins. There are almost always some dogs in complete sets that get taken out, too. I still have four complete sets in the low-end range, and may tinker with them again soon. It's so much fun to go to smaller shows and see what you can find. Over time, too many of us have come to realize how the mid range choice coins are very tough to find, and most are now tightly held in collections by knowledgeable collectors, and many have been slabbed. It is really hard to find these mid grade coins now, especially to many tough dates.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Long time no post, hi all. Getting the shop up and running with a 6 day work week has been shall i say time consuming! But it's working and succeeding, turns out along with the website reboot at the end of 2013 to have been good decisions. image

Darrell congratulations on your pluses. Your 58 set is up there among the finest.

Dr Pete, you have a lifetime pass to post on here. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I recall all the similar feelings when my set sold in 2009.

oih8, I agree with Mike it is a different RPD. A 4 digit punch in that era was used and your example has slight differences. Particularly the upper loop of the 8 where the first punch appears to have been more tilted with the 1 slightly higher thus the upper loop of the 8 closer in alignment to the final 8. There are slight differences in the placement and line up with the denticles as well. I have handled at least 3 different RPD's including the cherry picker variety for the date.

Jeff, sweet 58's, the 07-S is so tough.

MFH love that sweet nickel. As pretty a 63 as can be.

Vern and Doug nice to see the pics regularly.

Happy hunting everyone.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Oh and Dr Pete, love the Dansco set as much as your #1 set. Both show the true collector you are.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

PonyExpress8 - always nice to see you come up for air every so often !!

Rob - aka: Lord.... Thanks for posting that Love Token.... I don't see Barbers too often !

As the Bearded One said: " Happy Hunting ! "
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    It is frustrating to see a 1901-S Barber Quarter like this in a straight graded holder. I somehow can guarantee if I submitted one with this many scrapes it would come back in a details holder. The fact that it isn't, depresses the price of all the good ones out there. This less than stellar piece will sit for a long time and likely sell at a depressed price after enough time. Making it hard for nice examples to ever come to market. I wish PCGS would stop grading examples like that...so many scratches!
  • Options
    Steve / Patches : I see where you're coming from. It's not the prettiest one I have

ever seen in a F12 Holder. But, scratches or not, it graded a straight 12. The marks

weren't bad enough to Net Grade it.

I have tried posting a new addition to Photobucket, but, it's still giving me fits.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Patches
    It is frustrating to see a 1901-S Barber Quarter like this in a straight graded holder. I somehow can guarantee if I submitted one with this many scrapes it would come back in a details holder.

Yes, it's not bery nice. If I had to guess this one have have been submitted a few times before receiving a mercy grade.

On the flip side, however, the scratches and surface issues seem to be old; PCGS can be forgiving of original damage like that (like it or not). The coin certainly is worth much less than a nice one, but who knows what people will pay when hard up for a tough coin? I'll admit I've done it (and kick myself later).

• Options

Spotted this - from Americana Rare Coins - via PonyExpress8 - and knew I

had to get it... As I have this date with Bulls-Eye Toning in MS 62 - I thought

this would be a great way to do a date set in 58's - and will submit same for the

elusive Plus Grade. I have around four 58's now - and I think it'll take a few years

to acquire a complete date set in 58+.

There is absolutely no chatter to keep this from a plus grade. I learned quite a bit

by chatting with Darrell the other night. We reviewed all his 58's - and I believe I

have a better handle on the 58 / 58+ situation than I had before. Thanks, Darrell !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file