• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Nice bumps Ryan. Congratulations.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Selling off a big chunk of my mini collection to gear up for something. I have been an avid collector of minis for years and have focused on the highest quality 9's of the HOFers. All my minis are full size that fill the holders nicely. Centering has always been a primary focus, but I've always looked at overall eye appeal when determining whether to add to the collection.

I will add scans and prices as time permits, but please send me a message if you have a serious interest in more information regarding pricing and scans. Being that I always try to focus on "high eye appeal for the grade" stuff, some of these I am in on the very high side of VCP, while some I may have more flexibility on. Anything I do not move here will be moved to an auction house, but I want to give the avid mini collectors here a shot over the next week before I do that:

All the following are strong PSA 9's:

#3 Bob Gibson HL
    #20 Thurman Munson
    #21 Rollie Fingers
    #50 Brooks Robinson
    #61 Dave Winfield
    #70 Mike Schmidt
    #80 Carlton Fisk
    #100 Willie Stargell
    #130 Phil Niekro
    #185 Steve Carlton
    #223 Robin Yount
    #228 George Brett
    #260 Johnny Bench
    #280 Carl Yasztemski
    #300 Reggie Jackson
    #320 Pete Rose
    #335 Jim Palmer
    #370 Tom Seaver
    #450 Willie McCovey
    #500 Nolan Ryan
    #540 Lou Brock
    #580 Frank Robinson
    #600 Rod Carew
    #616 Rookie Outfielders (Rice)
    #620 Rookie Catchers (Carter)
    #623 Rookie Infielders (Hernandez)
    #640 Harmon Killebrew
    #660 Hank Aaron

I also have a couple really sharp PSA 8.5's:
    #228 George Brett
    #335 Jim Palmer

I will work on stand and try to get a feel for pricing, with discounts for larger multiple card purchases. Thanks!

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    Hello Everyone,
    It was not until I read the Collector's Profile section of the latest SMR that I knew the 1975 Topps Mini thread even existed.... This was an excellent article and I am in awe of Mr. Bergquist's set. I have been on the PSA Set Registry for a while now, but never really spent much time browsing around the other sections, or looking through the various forums. I am so glad I discovered this! I too am an avid 1975 Mini collector, with this being the first year I can remember using my paper route money to buy baseball cards with. I have been pursuing other 1970's sets, and recently began seriously pursuing the set nearest and dearest to my heart. I hope you do not mind but I have quite a few questions for you all, some you have probably already answered, so please forgive me as I try and come up to speed. Please feel free to drop me a line and ask any questions, and I look forward to meeting you all.
    Regards,
    Jeff Shamrock
    Jeff Shamrock
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard, Jeff! Great to have you here~I just sold a card to you recently~the PSA 10 Maddox.

BTW, congrats, Ryan, on an outstanding review poppage!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Welcome to the club Jeff! Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. This is very knowledgeable group when it comes to 75 minis.

I wanted to share a couple of scans of the minis in my recent bump. When I originally submitted the Aaron (and posted the raw scan here) I was convinced it was a nine. Glad to see if finally got there.

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

• Options
    I am also pleased to announce that after 8 long years (and too many ripped boxes and packs to count lol), I am finally at 100% completion for my 1975 Topps mini set in PSA 8 or better, currently ranked #6.

Grote15's 75 Mini Set

When I started this set back in 2007, mini wax boxes were about $900 each, and submission fees were about $4 a card, lol...I made a conscious effort to put together this set with as many "pack fresh" cards as I could, and am happy to say I was able to remain true to that objective as roughly 2/3 of the cards in my set are cards I pulled from pack sand self-submitted to PSA.

I want to thank all of my fellow 75 mini collectors for all the purchases along the way, both as a buyer and as a seller~it's been a great journey from start to finish!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I am also pleased to announce that after 8 long years (and too many ripped boxes and packs to count lol), I am finally at 100% completion for my 1975 Topps mini set in PSA 8 or better, currently ranked #6.

Grote15's 75 Mini Set

When I started this set back in 2007, mini wax boxes were about $900 each, and submission fees were about $4 a card, lol...I made a conscious effort to put together this set with as many "pack fresh" cards as I could, and am happy to say I was able to remain true to that objective as roughly 2/3 of the cards in my set are cards I pulled from pack sand self-submitted to PSA.

I want to thank all of my fellow 75 mini collectors for all the purchases along the way, both as a buyer and as a seller~it's been a great journey from start to finish! >>

One of the sincerely greatest moments in PSA mini history! The turtle finally finishes the race image
    Congratulations Tim and my apologies for making it a bit more difficult for you to finish over the years image

75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options

<< <i>Hello Everyone,
    It was not until I read the Collector's Profile section of the latest SMR that I knew the 1975 Topps Mini thread even existed.... This was an excellent article and I am in awe of Mr. Bergquist's set. I have been on the PSA Set Registry for a while now, but never really spent much time browsing around the other sections, or looking through the various forums. I am so glad I discovered this! I too am an avid 1975 Mini collector, with this being the first year I can remember using my paper route money to buy baseball cards with. I have been pursuing other 1970's sets, and recently began seriously pursuing the set nearest and dearest to my heart. I hope you do not mind but I have quite a few questions for you all, some you have probably already answered, so please forgive me as I try and come up to speed. Please feel free to drop me a line and ask any questions, and I look forward to meeting you all.
    Regards,
    Jeff Shamrock >>

Jeff Welcome! Tony and I were just recently discussing your great set and wondering who you were. I know you were the guy torturing me in the recent Heritage auction (or I was torturing you)! Those were quite the battles. I believe you have a LOT of reading to catch-up onimage

BTW Ryan, that is an incredible Mitterwald - you selling?
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    Man, I don't know how you guys can manage to stay up so late! Of course, I'm up early now at the other end. image

Congratulations, Tim! That is a beautiful set you put together!

Congrats also to you Ryan on the bumps! Very nice.

Welcome, Jeff (Shamvette). I've been watching your set slowly make its way up the registry over the last year hoping you would continue with it. Great job and stamina/patience so far!
  • Options
    Welcome Jeff, have noticed your set for quite sometime now. Figured you were one of the collectors picking up a Gem from time to time image I will tell you, this thread is the reincarnation of the original thread that had more posts than this one has to date. Still, there is a lot of information to be found here despite the untimely death of the original thread! For a long time we all had hoped that the powers within PSA would edit the previous thread and reinstate it. Alas, that never came to pass, and we've moved forward ever since.

Congrats Tim! I know how passionate you've been about "remaining true to your objective". It's a wonderful feeling to complete such a daunting task. Kudos for completing your amazing set! image

Ryan, It's baffling that the Aaron was ever graded less than a 9? Might want to review it again for the 2nd PSA 10. And Wow! The Mitterwald 10, that's one I don't have. Congrats! It would look much better in my set than Henry's image Lol

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Tim on getting it done. You have a great set.
    Love all the pictures too.

aconte
  • Options
    Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the kind words and PMs~this is a great forum for 75 mini collectors and I am grateful to be a part of it.

If anyone's interested, I also have the following cards available for purchase~just shoot me a PM and I will be happy to work out a deal for anyone who needs any/all of these.

PSA 9

#128 Lee **SOLD**
    #180 Morgan (HOF) **SOLD**
    #635 Dobson **SOLD**

PSA 8

#164 Rivers
    #171 Kirkpatrick **SOLD**
    #270 Fairly
    #292 Schueler
    #295 Pinson **SOLD**
    #355 Cannizzarro
    #374 Watt
    #401 Wallace **SOLD**
    #439 Brinkman **SOLD**
    #503 Stanley (tough card) **SOLD**
    #510 Blue
    #578 Tomlin
    #599 Colbert **SOLD**
    #613 Parsons
    #633 Casanova **SOLD**
    #645 Cater **SOLD**

PSA 7

#1 Aaron '74 HL (HOF) **SOLD**
    #219 Herrmann **SOLD**
    #227 Watson **SOLD**
    #259 Randle

PSA 6

#16 Tanana
    #458 Grimsley

• Options
    Wow Tim, congrats on reaching 100%, I know how much the project means to you!
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim, I just wanted to say congratulations also. That is a great accomplishment to complete such a high quality set.
    I see you're working on several different sets so I was wondering if the 75 regular size set will be your main focus now or one of the others?

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    Thanks again, guys.

Darin~Yes, the regular-sized 1975 Topps baseball set is in my sights now, along with a couple of others I've been working on. I just picked up a 75 rack recently that I plan to rip in hopes of pulling a few cards to submit for the October special. My goal one day is to finish all 3 1975 baseball sets~Mini, Regular and OPC. It's going to take a lot longer than 8 years, though. image

• Options
    Shamvette5Shamvette5 Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the kind words and noticing my work in progress. I'm near the halfway mark and need to keep the drive alive. I have upgraded many cards from 9's to 10's and as such have close to 70 PSA 9's to offload. What input might you all have for selling these items? Do some of you favor listing on ebay over going with one of the big catalog houses (i.e. Mile High, HA, or others). Looking for any advice you may have.
    Thanks in advance, Jeff
    Jeff Shamrock
  • Options
    Sent in 4 minis for a review after I had success with my previous review. Just got this back today.

• Options
    After spending all weekend going through all my duplicate graded minis, I finally got around to getting them in order and listed a huge chunk of them on ebay. All cards start at $4 and are mostly PSA 8 and 9 with a few 8.5s and 7s mixed in.

There are some tough cards including PSA 9 #227 Bob Watson (I picked this up in the Heritage auction), PSA 9 Rowland Office (also from Heritage), PSA 8.5 #500 Nolan Ryan, and many others. The cards with the newer serial numbers are all most likely pack pulled and self submitted by me. I'll combine shipping on these to make it economical if you win a bunch.

November mini auction

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been awhile since I looked at this thread. Love me some 75 Minis. Congrats to Tim on completing the set in PSA 8 or better. Quite an accomplishment!
    Daniel
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BaltimoreYankee

It's been awhile since I looked at this thread. Love me some 75 Minis. Congrats to Tim on completing the set in PSA 8 or better. Quite an accomplishment!

Thanks, Daniel! image

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    PSA 9 Aaron almost hit $1500 at PWCC. More than doubled any PSA 9 sold before it publicly.

Strong prices across the board for the minis in that auction...Ryan closing over $3,000!
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    Just getting back to the collection after some time out for family and work needs. Congrats to Tim on finishing the set with 8's and better. We all know how tough that can be, especially considering the range of quality within the 8 - 9 grades and really enjoy your commitment to sending in raw cards for grading. That's a big risk (and expense).

My hope is to join the rest of you 100% 'rs this year.

Cheers!
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options
    Wow. This thread hasn't had any posts in a month. I get sent to time out for 30 days and the mini board goes silent. I appreciate the support in protest. image

I had the pull of a lifetime last week. This card was face out on the back of a pack and I knew I had to rip it based on the centering that I could see peeking out from under the wrapper.

Just got this back from PSA after sending in at a high service level. I gave myself an 80% of a 9, 15% chance of a 10 and a 5% chance of an 8.5 (you never know how this is going to go). Super pumped about the 9, but I still feel like this card would look right at home in a 10 holder.

Note: the 3 white flecks in the scan are little dust particles that are inside the slab, but not marks on the card. They weren't there when before I subbed as you can see in the raw scan. Thinking of sending back in for review and ask for a re-holder to remove that junk.

• Options
    That Brett looks phenomenal, Ryan! Congrats! And welcome back, lol..

Thanks, also, Scott, for the kind words!

• Options
    Welcome back, Ryan! What a post to lead off your return! Congrats on a superb Brett RC. No doubt it's worth at least trying once to get it reviewed for a new home in a 10 holder. I can definitely see it in one.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭
    Wow what a beautiful card!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    This is a great looking card. I would go the review/replace holder route.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Ryan, Nice pull. That will likely cover the cost of your box image
  • Options
    Henry,
    Well done! Your passion for this set has been, and continues to be remarkable.
  • Options
    I find it very impressive that this thread has reached 2,500 post's.
    Add the old thread total and this thread would be right up there with the best of them image

1975 Topps Mini's Rock! ??

• Options
    The MintMoondog Awakens!

That's two unbelievable sets now. My hat's off to both T. Allan and Henry with their sets!
  • Options
    Welcome back Henry! What a fantastic set!!! Congrats.
    Tony's 1975 Minis
  • Options
    I just started collecting the set, love it. Ripped three boxes recently and submitted about 200 cards to PSA on Monday. Here are the three I picked up via Heritage recently.

• Options
    Hi Nats! Welcome to the Mini thread. You're off to quite a start, especially with the bookends of the set. Good luck with your latest sub. If you get a chance, please report back on your grades when you receive them.
  • Options
    natsturner,

That's quite an impressive start to your Mini collection! The #660 Hank Aaron PSA 10 card happens to have the lowest percentage of it's PSA 10 Pop (1) in relation to it's total grading's. Of all the cards in the set that have achieved a PSA 10 grade, the Aaron #660 PSA 10 is the rarest!

Good luck with your Mini Set, and the rest of your collections image
  • Options
    natsturner,

You may already know this? Mile High Card Co. has an Auction that closes Jan. 21st in which they are offering a PSA 10 Thurman Munson, card #20. One of only 3 PSA 10's that exist for that card. Good Luck should you be involved in the bidding.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    I hope I can get an answer from one of you serious 75 Topps mini collectors.I am basically a older card collector but have always been impressed by the set even though many of the cards in the packs have flaws mentioned in this forum but my question is that in my collection of 75 minis raw I have noticed several of the cards are shorter than the normal size will Psa or scg grade them?
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    PSA - MinSize (top to bottom) to get holdered is 80 mm in my experience.

SGC - No idea.

If you're looking for more info, this topic was discussed at length in this thread many times with the last time being Spring 2015, or around there.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell the last sale price on following psa 9 mini's: tovar,driessen, Jesus alou,tommy Davis, claudell Washington, earl Williams and Ed Herrmann. Thanks
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    The population of these cards in 9 is so low there haven't been many public sales.

If I were to guess I'd say on Driessen & Alou you're looking at $400-600, Tovar $200-400, Earl Williams $50-75, Hermann $300-450, and Tommy Davis & Claudell Washington at $1200-1500 each.

• Options
    Ryan,

Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    Assuming those cards would be full sized, I think those are good estimates of what they might go for except that I think the Earl Williams would be 2-3x higher than that.

Said another way, if I were in the market for those cards, those estimates are close to what I would be willing to bid for full sized examples, except for the Williams, which I would comfortably bid in the $150 to $250 range. Incidentally, if I were a deep pocket, I would bid at least $1,500 on the Davis and probably upwards of $2,000.
  • Options
    Looks like there's going to be plenty of mini's hitting the auction block soon. I noticed Greg Bussineau has as nice set up on the registry now and PWCC has a bunch of tough 9s, 8s and near complete sets in their Feb auction as well. Will be interesting to see the action these get.

• Options
    No Doubt Ryan, a lot of nice cards are about to hit the market and join eBay's already large current listings. On the other hand, I took a peek at the registry list and noticed 13 sets had recently been updated. That's the largest number of changes I have ever noticed occurring in one period. So maybe this added interest will balance things out. Either way, I agree with you, it's going to be interesting to see what things sell for...
    Tony's 1975 Minis
  • Options
    I wanted to extend a special thank you to Nick (Indy78) for alerting me last weekend to this mislisted PSA 8 #458 Grimsley card. I had been searching for a well centered, full-sized example with no tilt for quite a while now, and this beauty certainly fits the bill! IMO, a nicer example of this card is tougher to find than either Washington or T. Davis in PSA 8 grade.

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Sweet card Tim! You got a great eye for sure. Nice to have friends help out with a collecting goal.

aconte
  • Options
    I'm glad I was able to help, Tim. Incidentally, a couple of days after you purchased yours, 4SC listed one on eBay that lasted all of an hour or so before being scooped up by someone. It was priced a little less than yours, but yours is centered much better and worth every bit what you paid for it. Congrats!
  • Options
    Thanks, guys!

Tony, here's one I just picked up that I know you'd like~centered a bit low but super clean and full-sized with great color and surfaces. Solid PSA 8.

• Options
    Corners are a little fuzzy, but overall I still find it crazy how that card sells for under $25... Nice pick up Tim.

Tony's 1975 Minis