Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Scans of a few from the above pop list. I don't have the greatest of scanners but here are my great 8's. Doug

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some high-end 8s there, Doug~very nice!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Opinions? I will scan more pics.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some high-end 8s there, Doug~very nice! >>

I agree with that. Some really nice 8's.

aconte
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some high-end 8s there, Doug~very nice! >>

Agreed.

Also, Jayhawke's TD is one of the best centered I've seen.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    Jayhawke, you have some very touigh cards in those groups~definitely worth submmitting them as even 8s will provide a nice return. The Tanana looks great but appears to be short, which is common on those red/yellow cards. If the others measure up, you should have at least a couple of winners there. Gullett also looks very nice and is another super tough card.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Jayhawke, you have some very touigh cards in those groups~definitely worth submmitting them as even 8s will provide a nice return. The Tanana looks great but appears to be short, which is common on those red/yellow cards. If the others measure up, you should have at least a couple of winners there. Gullett also looks very nice and is another super tough card. >>

Thanks. I will submit at some point.

David, I agree. I think the Alou looks good. My scan was bad.

• MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Just had a very interesting, bittersweet, stroll down memory lane. I took some time to go through Brady Hill's set break on Heritage and it brought back so many memories and emotions. Roughly two thirds of the cards came from my set, with a huge number graded by me. Looking through the certs and remembering specific set breaks, the Duncan boxes post REA and my own case break, each brought back something powerful. Seeing some of his 8s and remembering how disappointed I was, Twitchell and others come to mind. The Campaneris 10. When I pulled that from a pack, I was like wow, its a 10 and posted the raw scan here saying so. It came back a 9. I reviewed it twice and its now in the 10 holder it always deserved. Cool things. I'm planning to bid on and hopefully win a few of those that resonated so strongly. Not necessarily expensive cards, but those with an emotional pull.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    [URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/dakillo1/media/giusti1.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Looking for comments on whether or not this is a candidate for a crossover to a straight PSA 9.

Measures to the strong side of 81mm; not a hint of diamond cut (measurement from opposite corners is the same); faintest evidence of yellow line at top.

What do you all think?
    That's a beauty Dave! Certainly worth a shot if it measures up.

I was elated to get this beauty just back from PSA~pulled straight from a mini wax pack and now a pop 1!

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    Dave, that Giusti looks great.

Tim, you have the scan settings off the chart. Yours really make the card pop. Congrats on the pop 1.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Wow Tim, must be a great feeling to pull and sub a 10!
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice job Tim, great looking card.

• << <i>I was elated to get this beauty just back from PSA~pulled straight from a mini wax pack and now a pop 1! >>

Wow...that is a great looking '75!
    Collect Brooks Robinson and unique O's items
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    That is a fantastic card Tim. Nice pull...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • The One & Only! Very Nice Tim image

• << <i>Just had a very interesting, bittersweet, stroll down memory lane. I took some time to go through Brady Hill's set break on Heritage and it brought back so many memories and emotions. Roughly two thirds of the cards came from my set, with a huge number graded by me. Looking through the certs and remembering specific set breaks, the Duncan boxes post REA and my own case break, each brought back something powerful. Seeing some of his 8s and remembering how disappointed I was, Twitchell and others come to mind. The Campaneris 10. When I pulled that from a pack, I was like wow, its a 10 and posted the raw scan here saying so. It came back a 9. I reviewed it twice and its now in the 10 holder it always deserved. Cool things. I'm planning to bid on and hopefully win a few of those that resonated so strongly. Not necessarily expensive cards, but those with an emotional pull. >>

Dag-nabbit Jim! Well the cat is out of the bag because I just got blown out of 50 bids after your post including the Campaneris, 3200.00 on the F. Robinson, and 7500.00 on the Aaron! LOL. Seriously, this should be a very interesting auction...I can honestly see myself getting totally blown out of the water on some of those cards. How high can I go on the Robinson and Aaron pop 1s? There are some great 10s, but quite a few dogs. I think Brady also picked up most of the lousy 10s from Eric (Demented). We could see some truly historic prices which will be nice for us collectors because of the trickle-down effect (if there is such a thing).
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • I wouldn't refer to the latest Heritage Auction as a "cat in the bag", lol. I think the cat came out of the bag (regarding PSA graded 75 Topps Mini's) many Moon's ago.... image

• ...sigh...well I pushed the Aaron Pop 1 PSA 10 to over 11K with BP - I dunno how much more I can push it; any thoughts on where this one will end?
    F. Robinson Pop 1 is over 5K
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Aaron will go higher than its current level. When I owned that card many years ago, I paid 8500, but then sold it for 11k. The market has run quite a bit since then, so I would guess 15k-- and wouldn't be shocked at 20k. With cards like that, all depends who's in the mix and wants it badly. Talk about a card that comes right out of the pack ungrade-able. If I had to try and nitpick, the only conceivable criticism of the card could be that (having spent many hours with it in hand) the color was not as deep and rich as other examples, though definitely worthy of the grade assigned.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the Aaron will go higher than its current level. When I owned that card many years ago, I paid 8500, but then sold it for 11k. The market has run quite a bit since then, so I would guess 15k-- and wouldn't be shocked at 20k. With cards like that, all depends who's in the mix and wants it badly. Talk about a card that comes right out of the pack ungrade-able. If I had to try and nitpick, the only conceivable criticism of the card could be that (having spent many hours with it in hand) the color was not as deep and rich as other examples, though definitely worthy of the grade assigned. >>

The print circle on the left and print marks above the cap would bother me.

aconte

• << <i>I think the Aaron will go higher than its current level. When I owned that card many years ago, I paid 8500, but then sold it for 11k. The market has run quite a bit since then, so I would guess 15k-- and wouldn't be shocked at 20k. With cards like that, all depends who's in the mix and wants it badly. Talk about a card that comes right out of the pack ungrade-able. If I had to try and nitpick, the only conceivable criticism of the card could be that (having spent many hours with it in hand) the color was not as deep and rich as other examples, though definitely worthy of the grade assigned. >>

Should be interesting...Good luck everyone, I'm heading to my bunker (BTW I know it was you Fredo! uh MiniMaster, stop bidding up those pop 1 psa 10 commons!)
  • Aaron = $16,000
    ($19,120.00)

Alrighty then...that there is a bunker buster bid image
  • Well this Heritage auction has gotten out of control. I went into it trying to get the last 2 cards I need to get my set all 8/9/10. Freaking Mickey Lolich in 9 and Rick Wise in 8. I've continuously gotten outbid on both and had to go thermo nuclear with my latest bids to get back on top. $478 for Lolich and $203 for Rick Wise. What am I thinking!?!?

I also threw out some bids on other tougher 9s and some 10s. Been outbid on almost 60% of them. Prices are strong. Hoping I can hang on and win the few I really want.

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

• Jasme11Jasme11 Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Well, as the dust settles I too was in the Ryan boat, finding myself having chased some crazy cards at some crazy prices... The only thing I am certain of is that my new most despised term in the English language is: "Buyer's Premium!" with "Extended Bidding Session" coming in at a very close second...

HA was the biggest winner of the night.

PS- Ryan, I hope you won those two cards. And Henry, my pursuit of a nice Carew and Garvey will have to continue, my bids of $842 and $538 fell short, respectively.

Just Crazy!
    Tony's 1975 Minis
  • I ended up getting the Lolich and Wise. All total, I picked up 21 cards last night. I paid well over VCP for many of them, but after looking at past sales and seeing the number of "short" cards or ones with obvious fisheyes, I was more than willing to pay the premium. Some of the notable ones that I was especially happy to land in PSA 9 include Rollie Fingers, Bob Watson, Dave Roberts, John Milner, Ken Brett, Enzo Hernandez, and Juan Beniquez.

This was my first purchase in a HA and I was pretty pleased with their interface and overall process of bidding and paying. Will be interesting to see how the registry standings shift (or not).

Ryan

The Lolich, Wise (my first ever psa sub in 2006), Roberts, Watson and Ken Brett were all my subs, as was the Garvey which was originally an 8.5, later reviewed to a 9.

Fun memories.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    Jim, I remember many of those cards when they were in your set! Strong prices throughout. I picked up a few PSA 9s to upgrade a few cards in my set, but largely remained on the sidelines for this one. Congrats to all who picked up cards! Henry, did you get the Reggie and/or the Aaron?

• Glad I was able to pick up a few from your original set Jim. Especially knowing the vast majority were pack pulled.

Has anyone taken the time to add up the total amount that the set went for?

• << <i>I ended up getting the Lolich and Wise. All total, I picked up 21 cards last night. I paid well over VCP for many of them, but after looking at past sales and seeing the number of "short" cards or ones with obvious fisheyes, I was more than willing to pay the premium. Some of the notable ones that I was especially happy to land in PSA 9 include Rollie Fingers, Bob Watson, Dave Roberts, John Milner, Ken Brett, Enzo Hernandez, and Juan Beniquez.

This was my first purchase in a HA and I was pretty pleased with their interface and overall process of bidding and paying. Will be interesting to see how the registry standings shift (or not).

Ryan >>

Just landed in Detroit, Ryan I was the nasty underbidder on those two image I was going to go 500.00 on the Lolich and 200.00 on the Wise until I saw you post lol. Congrats.
    I won around 170 cards and lost 200. I didn't bid on many of the great star cards but apparently it didn't matter.
    IMO I believe this was a historic auction for all of us mini collectors who have been consistently trumpeting how under-valued and under-appreciated this truly special set is. Almost 30K for the Brett, 20K for the Aaron and 5K for the F. Robinson were incredible. Unfortunately for me, I got confused on the Jackson as I was checking out of the hotel right at the point of the extended bidding and was late on my bid...7.2K for that card was quite a hammer.
    It also appears that the new normal for pop1 commons is between 1K and 1.4K. Also, the bidders went beyond MM and myself. The hammers for pop 2 were around 700.00 to 1K. I just bought a couple 10s from a member here and thought to myself that I was paying a premium but after this auction it appears they were a bargain!
    Congratulations to all the winners.

• << <i>Jim, I remember many of those cards when they were in your set! Strong prices throughout. I picked up a few PSA 9s to upgrade a few cards in my set, but largely remained on the sidelines for this one. Congrats to all who picked up cards! Henry, did you get the Reggie and/or the Aaron? >>

Tim, nope...I screwed up the Jackson and missed a final bid of 7K so the winner got the card with a final bid of 6K I believe. image I did get the F. Robinson (very difficult to find in a centered 9) and the Rice rookie (card was kinda weak)....I picked up around 25 10s but paid dearly. The couple I was most pleased with were the 194 Mantle/Aaron MVP 1100.00 and the 624 rookie 1100.00 (that card in particular is impossible to find in a 9 let alone the pop1 10).

EDIT: What to expect over the next 30 days after this auction...if history serves me correctly, expect to see a bunch of totally cut dog stars/low pops start showing up on ebay which will take the VCP back down. I actually was interested to see whether the PSA 9 Schmidt and/or Carew would break the 1,000.00 mark. To me this would be a real psychological indicator of a different market for 9s. The Ryan PSA 9 sold for almost 2,000.00! It was very strong 9 though. The real volatility IMO are the lower pop 9s between 9-15 total pop...those are the cards that can sell for almost any amount depending on who needs what (not that different from common PSA 10s from pop 2-4). There is no real market floor. It looks like most star cards' market is now over 100% higher than VCP at the beginning of 2015.

• Biggest disappointment outside of the Jackson screw-up and interesting hammer price.

Once again I screwed-up on the beautiful Greif 9 image I think Jim stole that card for under 200.00 in the demented auction (Eric Roberts) and I put in a bid for 300.00 last second and lost it for 301.00 image

Here is an interesting auction hammer: The Don Sutton PSA 9 for
    $130
    ($155.35 w/BP)

I have kept that card as a strong sleeper in a 9...does not come up often, several cut cards still floating around, and now the pop in a 9 is comparable to Fingers/Winfield etc. I put in a top bid of 100.00. Two peeps outbid me on that one. Interesting because the VCP was under 30ish.
  • Jasme11Jasme11 Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Henry, I'm guilty as charged! And boy was I ever charged: $301 max bid for the Grief and $131 max bid for the Sutton. Absolutely love them despite going over my budget on both. That Grief is a full size beauty (having seen some of the other ugly 9's out there). It is a difficult pop 5, with no 10's. And I agree that the Sutton is a "sleeper" (no 10's; & HOF).

Also really happy with some of these other full-sized, well-centered "undercards": McEnaney #481 ($84); Goodson #322 ($48); Stanley #141 ($46); Taylor #58 ($26); and the real tough Powell #625 ($131).

Hopefully, the mail carrier will not make a wrong turn!

Tony's 1975 Minis
  • Indy78Indy78 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Great pickups all!

What was just as jaw dropping to me were the number of really nice 8's and 9's and even some 10's that were bought at bargain prices. For example, the Taylor #58 PSA 8 was an awesome pickup at $28 by Jasme. That's one tough card due primarily to PD, and that example is gorgeous. How about that Jim Fregosi #339 in PSA 8 for $38. That's one of the nicest, full-sized examples I've ever seen. That card is almost always naturally short and usually has a brownish tint to it, but that example is crisp, clear, colorful, and full sized. Or how about that Jerry Johnson PSA 10 for $74. That card is super tough to find nicely centered. Or the Ed Hermann in PSA 8.5 for $15!!! Are you kidding me?!?!!?? Or the Burleson #302 in PSA 8 for $42. Even with the 19% buyers premium added in, those are great prices. I could go on and on. I was on a family vacation all last week, so I stayed on the sidelines, although I did lob a couple of Buy options earlier today on a few 9's that didn't sell. Ugh. I wish I would have bid on a few of those, especially that 8.5 Hermann. Oh well. Congrats to you all!
    One of my favorite Mini's in the set has always been #100 Willie Stargell, mostly because I think the photo is really cool. This card is nearly always centered low and to the left or right. I've been searching quite awhile for a nicely centered example, and the week before last, one showed up on eBay for a decent price. I quickly snatched it up. I thought I'd share a scan of it. The centering on back is just as nice as the front.

That's a beautiful Stargell, Nick!

Also agree that there were a lot of good deals in between the stronger prices~I was planning to get home from the beach earlier on Saturday night, but got tied up in traffic and didn't make it home till extended bidding was already in effect. What I get for procrastinating. That said, if anyone here won the #109 Hendrick or the #71 Hough, or the #458 Grimsley, please let me know if you want to sell them. I have a couple nice raw #71 Houghs and a #109 Hendrick to send in, but would prefer to buy them already graded. Also agree with Ryan that the purchase process and experience via Heritage was very impressive~and the fact that they accept paypal makes it so much more convenient than the typical AH, too!

• Very nice Stargell Nick!

It had been a while since I ripped any minis. This past week I got the itch and ripped a few packs. Ended up pulling a bunch of nicely centered cards and several star cards. I wanted to share these four here.

I'm hoping all of these have a chance at 9, but I'm worried the Yount is centered just a bit too low. The Schmidt and Stargell are within 9 range t/b. Card #623 is just ridiculously tough to find without the print smudge on Veryzer picture. This one is a dandy and beats the 9 I have in my set. Slightly off centered, but actually with 10 range at 58/42.

Would love your opinions. As always, I'll share the actual results once I get this sub off to PSA.

P.S. Tim, I picked up the 9 George Hendrick so I've got the 8 that I pulled from a pack and self submitted available.

Those are some beautiful cards, Ryan! Yount may be a bit low but I think it has a shot. Good luck!

PM sent on the Hendrick, too.

Nice Mini's Ryan! Assuming perfect surfaces, I'm going to say the Schmidt is a solid 8 due to centering a bit off in both directions. Stargell and Yount, especially, look a bit low, but l/r centering looks near perfect and the the other attributes are very nice. So, I'd say you have a shot at 9's on both. I'll guess 8 on the Yount and 9 on the Stargell (the Stargell has slightly better centering, at least it looks that way to me). The Hernandez card is gorgeous! I'll say high end 9. The centering "looks" off l/r ever so slightly, otherwise I'd say 10 on that one. Good luck with the sub!
  • Surfaces are great on the cards above. Really centering is the only question mark in my mind. I've got my fingers crossed that they grade where you all think they could. Straight 9s would be awesome!

Here's a few more cards from these same packs. Over all really nice centering on over half the cards I pulled these are some I think have a chance at 10 with a 9 for the Miller.

Beautiful Miller!
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions

<< <i>Beautiful Miller! >>

+1

Acosta looks razor sharp, as well. Nice cards, Ryan!

Nice cards! I'll make a bold guess and say 10 on the Acosta and 9 on the other 3. I agree on the Miller; that's about the cleanest one I've ever seen. Good luck with the sub!