Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• Indy78Indy78 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Ugh, that's painful to see.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, he did use bubble wrap, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Tough break for sure! I'm bummed out for you.

I wonder if this set has done some traveling around too. Just look at completed auctions for the seller and it looks like the set sold in late December. Was it an unpaid auction,
    return to seller, or use of same pics? Who knows but it is sad the set shipped to you in this manner.

Good luck!

aconte
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd return it immediately for a full refund!

Steve
  • I had a similar event with a 74 set about 10 years ago. The most gorgeous set one could ever hope for but damaged in the shipping. I feel your pain.
  • I did another pass through my set recently and pulled several 9s that I felt were worthy of a 10.

Pleased that 2 came back with their new grade. For those keeping score at home, I submitted 20 cards, so 10% bump rate. About half of my sub were HOFers which I know are extra scrutinized.

These are both now pop 2

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

Congrats, Ryan! Those are beauties!
  • MiniMasterMiniMaster Posts: 505 ✭✭
    I had opened a few boxes of Mini's awhile ago. Decided to finally submit 184 of them. A few were actually crack outs which I felt deserved better grades. I'm happy to report, relatively speaking, very good results. 37 PSA 9's, 127 PSA 8's, and the rest lesser grades. While I didn't get any 10's, which was a little disappointing. I'm quite pleased with the number of 9's and 8's. Ironically zero half grades? PSA 9's of 61 Winfield, 300 Jackson, 320 Rose, 370 Seaver, 47 John, 450 McCovey, 161 Bahnsen, 622 Rookie Lynn to name a few. Also several nice 8's, 583 (2), 65 (2), 580, 30, 163 (2), 649, 70, 300 (2), 140, 178, 302, 187, 143, 245, 297, 620, 150, 612, and 16.
    That looks like an awesome sub to me! The PSA 8's alone are impressive, including the two PSA 8 65's (Don Gullett). Did you pull those two from the boxes you opened (as opposed to them being crackouts)? Another gem in there is the PSA 8 150 (Bob Gibson). In my opinion, that card is in the top 5 of toughest cards to find in 8+. Great job and congrats!!
    In my opinion, that card is in the top 5 of toughest cards to find in 8+

Agreed! Tougher even than the T. Davis or Claudell Washington, imo, in full size, at least.

Congrats, Ryan and TAB, on the impressive subs!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Just got these three back from PSA~all now pop 2s. Very pleased with the results, particularly with the Tolan and Grabarkewitz, two tough cards even in PSA 9 grade.

• MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    nice hits Tim, grats!
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    Thanks, Jim!

• Congrats on those
    Very generous on the Mcanally and Tolan
    I had been looking for a nice PSA 9 Palmer card for several years now, a tough card that is tough to find centered and is prone to tilts and registration issues, even in higher grade examples. I was very happy to land this beauty for the collection, finally ending my search. image

Awesome cards Tim! The 10's are great.

Congrats,

aconte
    Brutally hard card, nice find.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Very nice Palmer. That card is underrated!

• Nicest Sub you could hope for there Tim. Also, agree the Palmer is a very nice example.
  • Gorgeous Palmer!!
    I wanted to give the mini gang a heads up: I've been thinking of offering one of my remaining boxes from my case as a board break and decided to go forward with it. I'm going to list it on the main board as a heads up with a start time of 8 est tomorrow evening. If it doesn't sell, no biggie. If it overflows , I might offer a second. The price will be $85 per pack, shipped, via paypal (invoice is fine). Best of luck to anyone who participates. There have been some nice hits from the earlier boxes.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was anyone watching the PSA 9 mini set up for auction in Bussineau? It seemed to go for a good price ($21k with the juice). I had VCP pegging the value of the cards at around $27k. I didn't notice any shorties, though many were in old era holders and some appeared to be on the weaker side of Mint. Still, it would seem to be a good value at that price. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
    Was watching it closely and came to the same conclusions. I was in until 18, beyond that, the break numbers made less sense given fees and time. Nice value on a nice set though.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Received my two packs - no major star power, but two candidates I feel are locks for PSA 9, with the latter having a shot at a 10 (#196 MVP's [Banks] and 604/Zamora).

To spin a positive out of this experience: it will keep the lid on my FASC/MiniDuff box for awhile!

Jim, thank you for the opportunity and the fun!
    Just an FYI, I noticed that the 75 Topps Mini Houston Astros Team Set didn't have card #590 Cesar Cedeno. It has been added to the team set. Anyone wishing to add that card to their team set can do so if they wish image
  • Hi fellas. After taking a hiatus from the mini set for a few months, I decided to get back at it. I recently pulled some really nice cards from wax packs.

Here's two of the standouts. Sending off this week to get graded.

I think there is a legit chance for a 10 on the Gibson (currently none higher than 9). Thoughts?image

Gibson does look razor sharp, Ryan! Good luck!

More importantly, though, where are you finding these packs to open? LOL!

I picked up a really nice Rice RC for a great price last week~had been looking for one for quite a while and this one fit the bill (and the budget).

• Ha ha! I've definitely had my share of duds in addition to the nice boxes. I picked up two boxes recently that weren't wrapped or authenticated, but based on the photos I took a chance (and got a good deal).

The gentleman I purchased them from said he acquired them at The National a few years back. Both boxes had very similar quality and I assume came from the same case. Surprisingly both of the boxes were pretty beat up, but the packs were stellar.

Will be sure to let folks know how I do on the sub when I have the cards back.

Super sharp Rice Tim!

Did any folks here pick up any of the 9s that were recently broken up from the Greg Bussineau auction? I think I got 20 or so to upgrade my set, but got outbid on quite a few. Good to see such strong prices.

Ryan, I picked up about 15 cards to upgrade my set~would have picked up a few more but one bidder in particular was bidding very strongly on almost every card. Still very happy with the cards I managed to acquire for my set.

Congrats on the boxes~nothing like opening mini wax with centered cards within. They are few and far between.

Nice cards guys! I think that Gibson has a great shot for a 10 - that's a beautiful card. As is that Rice, Tim. Such bold, even color on that one! My guess on the Brett will be that it pulls either an 8 or 9OC depending upon how you submit it. If I were submitting that Brett, I would definitely check "no qualifiers" to try and get an 8.

I had not been upgrading my main set much since December, but I did throw a few bids on the recent Mini set break that Ryan mentioned. I picked up around six 9's, and I won the Hughes (green/yellow) in PSA 8 from the same seller for around 20 bucks. I was really excited about that pick up, considering that is such a tough card. I remember those Hughes in 8's selling for well over 100 bucks and even over 200 bucks, briefly. Incidentally, I had bought another Hughes 8 from that same seller maybe two years ago for too much money on a BIN, but I wanted it at the time. I guess this second, latest pick up evens things out for me. I put the latest one in my main set because it's nicer than previous one.

On that second set, I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I'm half-heartedly adding to it by dropping cards down from my main set as I upgrade here and there. I also look for cheap 7's and 8's that look really good, but for whatever reason, did not grade higher. It's a set that I may continue adding to for entertainment, but will probably never complete. But who knows. I love the Mini's, so maybe that will motivate me to keep it going, albeit at a snail's pace.
    My favorite pick up in that auction was this Campaneris. I've always thought of that card as a really tough one to find in nice shape without print defects, especially without "snow" in the photo. So, I was quite surprised to win this one for around 11 bucks.

Nice pickup, Nick! The Campy is very sharp! Speaking of Hughes, I just recently picked up this beauty for a very reasonable price:

I think a lot of the tougher 8s have come back to earth a bit in recent months. Personally, I think those past prices were too steep for the grade, though I will still pay a premium for superior examples.

Nice Hughes! Yes, I agree on the prices settling down a bit. Except for maybe the Claudell Washington in PSA 8, most of the other red/yellow and green/yellows in PSA 8 have had prices return to more reasonable levels recently.
    Sweet pickup Tim! You got a good eye for sharp cards. I bet the seller of that card does too!

lol

aconte
    Originally posted by: aconte

Sweet pickup Tim! You got a good eye for sharp cards. I bet the seller of that card does too!

lol

aconte

Yes, for a Phillie fan, at least, LOL!

No question this PSA 9 Rice RC is a mechanical error missing the OC qualifier:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-T...D8%26sd%3D301963117416

Add that to the very few epic fails of the grading process. It's possible graders indicated an OC qualifier and whoever was in charge of completing the holder process forgot to add the qualifier? This is clearly a random error, as I don't see many PSA 9 off center cards making it into no qualifier holders.
    I actually sent the seller a message razzing him about the fact the card was obviously miss graded. The reply was simply "Thanks!"
  • Had some subs pop recently with a bunch of the minis I submitted. Did pretty well overall with lots of 9s and a single 10. Both the Gibson and the Brett I posted scans of graded PSA 9. Will share some scans when I get all the cards back.

I also subbed 4 cards for a review and was successful in getting one of them bumped to a 10.

Beautiful Marshall. That card is a bear too. Big grats!
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    Looks like someone is trying to make a quick buck on that OC Rice rookie. Sold for $271, now on a BIN for $368.

OC Rice Rookie
    The buyer of that OC #616 will likely regret paying $270+ for it. What's a PSA 7/PSA 9OC #616 going for these days? $10-$20?
    Anyone notice those three BBCE wrapped wax boxes sneak by yesterday for $1937, $2081 and $2134? Hope someone here got one (or all) and is ripping. Its almost affordable at that price (comparitively speaking).
    Originally posted by: Dakillo

Anyone notice those three BBCE wrapped wax boxes sneak by yesterday for $1937, $2081 and $2134? Hope someone here got one (or all) and is ripping. Its almost affordable at that price (comparitively speaking).

The handwriting on the labels on two of them did not match Steve's or anyone else's at BBCE.

Has the BBCE logo always been present on their shrink wrap? I looked at the subject wax boxes and they appear to be wrapped in a clear shrink wrap; no logo or print.

Has the BBCE logo always been present on their shrink wrap? I looked at the subject wax boxes and they appear to be wrapped in a clear shrink wrap; no logo or print.

Steve used to shrinkwrap boxes in clear wrap before using wrap with the bbce logo a couple years ago. I remember way back when he didn't even use stickers~he'd simply place gold business cards on bottom of the box underneath the clear shrink wrap.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15

The handwriting on the labels on two of them did not match Steve's or anyone else's at BBCE.

Tim,
    You are spot on. I noticed the same thing.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    I was going through the 75 Mini registry this morning, and noticed that a number of folks are actively working on their sets. I also noticed some new sets, and that the number of current sets is now at 80 which seems near an all time high for this set. Given that there hasn't been much activity in this thread lately, I thought it would be good to hear from some collectors of the set (both registry and non-registry) as to how things are going with collecting Mini's.

As for me, I've completed my registry set, but I still pick up a few updates or upgrades from time to time if both the card is nicer than what I have and is priced right. Case in point, I just picked up a #258 Dave LaRoche in PSA 8 this past week that I think looks nicer than the one I already have. I should get it in the mail later today. For whatever reason, that card has not come up too often in the last 2 years in a grade of PSA 8, although I've bid on and lost out on a couple of 9's this year. I think I was outbid at about $45 or so on one of the 9's last Spring. It's somewhat of a difficult card to find centered correctly from top to bottom, so perhaps this is why it doesn't come up often.

This spring, I had kicked around the idea of building a second registry set of Mini's in an average grade of PSA 7 or thereabouts, but bailed out on it at the beginning of the summer. I had over 100 cards in the set, but I have too many other projects going and decided to abandon it.

It seems that the pace of newly graded Mini's has slowed substantially in the last 1-1.5 years, especially from the big sellers like 4SC. And it seems like the already graded ones remain locked up in collections. I have not submitted a Mini to be graded in almost a year. I just haven't been able to find any in substantial enough numbers to warrant sending them in. I also noticed with the last couple of my submissions, quite a bit of attention was paid to the surface of the Mini's, more so than I had been used to seeing. The result was that most of the cards I thought were 8's, were judged to be 7's, which I don't collect and don't sell for enough to warrant the grading fee.

So how about other collectors of the set. How is it going, and how did you get started collecting the set? It would be nice to hear from you. And where's Henry these days? Whether or not anyone responds, good luck with your set building!

Nick
    Good to hear from you, Nick, and hope all is well. I've been slowly upgrading my set over time, selling off a few self-submitted lower pop 10s in favor of 9s and upgrading my 8s to 9s with nicer eye appeal and without tilt, which are very tough to find these days. I have about 15 minis at PSA now as part of a group submission, but haven't submitted much in the past year or so, either. Prices have remained strong for tougher examples but have softened a bit for other mini cards that were overvalued, imo. I believe Henry is still waiting for the Armegeddon he predicted to happen in fall/winter of 2015, lol...

I've also been selling off a couple larger lots of pack fresh singles and putting together a couple of sets in binders, which I am enjoying. I have a couple of packs to open up on a rainy day, too.

I also picked up a real nice Killebrew at a good price recently. I had been searching the past several years for a tilt-free, full-sized example.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Thats a sweet Killebrew!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    Originally posted by: jackstraw

Thats a sweet Killebrew!

Thanks!