Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Welcome Isigrandson and Ereitmey989!

Isigrandson: I wish you well in finishing off your Mini set. Your story is somewhat similar to mine in that I hadn't heard of the Mini's until about 10-11 years ago, although I collected baseball cards in the late 70's to early 80's and then again in the early to mid-90's. I eased into the set as well, starting off with a couple of cards picked up at a local card shop while searching for full size '75's, thereafter picking up ungraded Mini lots to test the waters, completing a mixed graded/ungraded set, and then completing a fully graded registry set. The journey has been quite fun! I'm at a point now where I'm just enjoying the set, without upgrading that much (relative to past years).

Ereitmey989: Good luck with your sales. I haven't consigned sets and single cards, but it sounds like one of many ways I've seen others, including friends, sell and consign sets.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I echo Nick's welcome to the new members! This thread is filled with valuable information about the 1975 mini set, much of it no where else available, and there are a great number of very passionate and knowledge mini collectors here, too. Happy collecting and good luck with your collections!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@Indy78 said:
    Welcome Isigrandson and Ereitmey989!

Isigrandson: I wish you well in finishing off your Mini set. Your story is somewhat similar to mine in that I hadn't heard of the Mini's until about 10-11 years ago, although I collected baseball cards in the late 70's to early 80's and then again in the early to mid-90's. I eased into the set as well, starting off with a couple of cards picked up at a local card shop while searching for full size '75's, thereafter picking up ungraded Mini lots to test the waters, completing a mixed graded/ungraded set, and then completing a fully graded registry set. The journey has been quite fun! I'm at a point now where I'm just enjoying the set, without upgrading that much (relative to past years).

Thank you for the kind encouraging words. Although it's been a short time since I my first post, my total number increased by 2 and is now up to 643. My #1 Hank Aaron turned out to be a decent purchase that I am pleased with. I also fully enjoy the set and look through it alot, It is interesting to read the stats of each player.

I am curious as to how everyone is storing their non-registry sets. For now, I'm storing my collection in a binder with inserts, with each card in a penny sleeve. I realize that this is not the most ideal way to store such a valuable collection, but trust me, when I start swapping out cards for ones that have higher PSA ratings, at a minimum, I will switch to penny sleeves inside top loaders. They will then be stored in a plastic, waterproof container. For now the entire collection is thick enough in the binder the pages stay tight together and don't have much of a chance of moving around. Believe me, I have seen what cheap binder pages do to cards. Some of my cards from my earlier collection days have turned color and curled. Thankfully most of these cards are duplicate commons that I put in binders just so I could look through them from time to time.

• Options

I have two raw mini sets that I continue to work on and upgrade. I keep the cards in 3" binders and use the special 9-pocket pages designed especially for minis. Those pages are a lot better than the standard-sized pages and the cards don't swim inside the pockets.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2017 5:03AM

I store my ungraded set in a binder using standard pocket pages without penny sleeves. I haven't had any problems with the cards shifting. I use two, 1.5-inch plastic binders that have a snap cover to protect the contents from dust (and whatever else). They are made by Unikeep. If you search Unikeep within these forums, chatter about it should turn up. I use these for nearly all my sets and have had zero problems with them. The pocket pages I use are Ultra Pro and they are archival safe, unlike the old PVC ones from 20+ years ago which will yellow the cards. Here are some photos of my binders.

• Options

BTW, I do think the Mini size pages mentioned by Tim would be the better way to go. I just haven't been motivated enough to take the time to order them and then change out the pages/cards. That would take a few hours - ugh.

• Options

@Indy78 said:
    BTW, I do think the Mini size pages mentioned by Tim would be the better way to go. I just haven't been motivated enough to take the time to order them and then change out the pages/cards. That would take a few hours - ugh.

I feel the same way. I really like those mini pages...just haven't gotten serious about buying them.....yet. I do have to say that the cards stay pretty stable in the pages when they are in penny sleeves. Once I start upgrading, I'll have to look into the Unikeep binders. They look to be very sturdy and robust.

• Options

Last night, I was going through my Mini collection, and in particular, those Mini's I've picked up so far this year. Although I occasionally upgrade my Main registry set, I'm also on the look out for those "special" Mini's that have high eye appeal to me or are unique to me due to some card attribute, but also have some minor technical flaw the holds the card to an 8 or less (in other words, the card is cheap, lol). The ones that fit this mold tend to be PSA 7's of the red/yellow and green/yellow color combos or PSA 8's of the blue/green or red/blue color combos. Case in point is the Lee May (blue/green combo) card I showed a few pages back in this thread and the two cards below that I picked up this past winter/spring. The McEnaney is atypical to my eyes considering that the card is full sized, has awesome color, no yellow line at the top edge, and is centered very well, all of which are attributes which tend to be rare for this particular card number. The one "flaw" is a print defect (white smudge/streak) just below the "S" in Reds, which caps it at a 7. I love the card! The other is a Dave Giusti with all of the same attributes, but the print defect is more severe. But, the deep colors (especially the blue in the team name), full length, and centering overcomes the pd (print snow) by my eye. And the card was super cheap too. I have to confess/admit - these two look better to me than the two 8's in my set, lol.

I love when other collectors share their scans in these registry threads, so I thought I would share mine in the hopes that others appreciate seeing them as much as I do (and to keep this great thread fresh with Minis). Enjoy!

• Options

Indy, Thanks for sharing info and pics of how you keep your raw cards. It's hard to believe those two cards, #53 Giusti, and #481 McEnaney didn't receive at minimum PSA 8 grade. So difficult to find well centered with a minimum of print defect. I've seen PSA 9's of Bob Gibson with more yellow lines than your Giusti. It just goes to show how liberal some graders can be, while others..... not so much! That's where we as collectors have to look close at graded cards. While most graded cards deserve their grade, and in some cases an even higher grade. There are those cards that are borderline examples or that appear to have accidently been placed in a holder without it's warranted qualifier? If you're being asked to pay premium value, the card should be a premium example. (imho)

• Options
    edited September 18, 2017 8:43PM

100% agree with the mantra, buy the card, not the holder. The Giusti would have graded PSA 8, or even better, had it not been for the surface issue (snow), which is very common with minis, even straight out of the pack. I've had cards like that grade 9PD or straight NM 7. Not sure which is preferable. Still a beautiful card for the grade as all other attributes are there.

• Options
    SlipCSlipC Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

Awesome thread. You guys are dedicated folks. It warms my collectors heart.
    Slip C.

It's been a long, long time!
  • Options

Just a quick update on my how my collection is going. Due to this thing called life, I haven't had much of a chance to sit down and browse for the cards I still need for the past couple of weeks. I did purchase two more since my last post, numbers 531 & 623. I'm now down to 15 cards to go, with Yount and Brett probably being the last two I'll end up adding. I can hear my wife now, "You PAID how much for a baseball card?" Once the fall weather sets in, it will keep me inside more, which will give me time to get serious again.

Incidentally, I have accumulated a decent amount of duplicates which I am not sure what I am going to do with. I've contemplated selling them on eBay, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route. There's about 600 plus cards that I started to do an inventory on, but haven't finished. Most are fair to very good with a few NRMT here and there. Each card is in a penny sleeve.

• Options
    edited September 24, 2017 5:02AM

@lsigrandson said:
    Just a quick update on my how my collection is going. Due to this thing called life, I haven't had much of a chance to sit down and browse for the cards I still need for the past couple of weeks. I did purchase two more since my last post, numbers 531 & 623. I'm now down to 15 cards to go, with Yount and Brett probably being the last two I'll end up adding. I can hear my wife now, "You PAID how much for a baseball card?" Once the fall weather sets in, it will keep me inside more, which will give me time to get serious again.

Which 15 do you need besides the Brett and Yount?

Great to hear about your progress on the set!

• Options
    lsigrandsonlsigrandson Posts: 6
    edited October 5, 2017 3:55PM

I'm down to 13 cards now. Here's what I am missing: #70, 172, 223, 228, 260, 280, 500, 561, 611, 615, 616, 620 & 622

• Options

Well after nearly 5 years, building, upgrading and collecting the set, I've decided it's time to move on to new adventures in the hobby. I've consigned the set with PWCC and it's live now.

Over 200 cards are listed individually and there are several lots of the lower value cards. Many of these cards were pack pulled and self submitted by me including the PSA 10 Keith Hernandez RC (pop 2) and PSA 10 Mike Hargrove (pop 1). I also have several cards that were part of MiniDuff's set back in day. There are some real stunners in this set and I encourage folks to check it out if they are looking to upgrade existing sets or get a head start on building a new one. I'm keeping a few cards from my registry set for my personal collection (Montague, Burleson, Lockwood, Brett, Yount), but otherwise these are the best of the best that I had accumulated.

This was a difficult decision for me as I've had a ton of fun building this set over the years, but I noticed my interest in continuing to upgrade was waning so it was time to move on. Looking forward to seeing these cards end up in other collections. Retiring it ranked 8th current and 15th all time.

Ryan

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

• Options

Hey Ryan, nice job building your set and good luck with the sale!

• Options

Say it isn't so, Ryan, LOL! I thought this was another one of Henry's sets till I saw the pics. Good luck with the auctions and your new pursuits.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2017 6:08PM

I have a number of PSA 8 and PSA 9 1975 minis for sale. If anyone wants/needs any of these, or would like a scan(s), feel free to PM me. Will offer additional discounts for multiple card purchases, too. Shipping is a flat $3.00 for as many cards as you purchase.

PSA 9

3 Gibson HL (HOF) SOLD
    152 Guerrero $18
    216 Giants team SOLD
    448 Duffy SOLD
    438 Carrithers $23

PSA 8.5

300 Jackson (HOF) SOLD

PSA 8

8 Moret SOLD
    42 Coleman SOLD
    302 Burleson $23
    345 Carroll SOLD
    380 Bando SOLD
    430 Tiant SOLD
    489 Cooper SOLD
    649 Heidemann $19

• Options
    Jasme11Jasme11 Posts: 31 ✭✭

Hello Min-Collectors, Does anyone know "hockeyshoes" (ebay) who is selling some minis on ebay? If so, please pass on my info regarding a few minis. Thanks

Tony's 1975 Minis
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Looking to complete my Mini set with the below cards, thanks.

Here are the cards needed in PSA 8 and higher. Please let me know if you can help out, thanks:

1, 16, 18, 25, 53, 55, 58, 64, 70, 71, 77, 85, 116, 123, 127, 133, 140, 143, 150, 157, 178, 187, 191, 223, 225, 227, 228, 229, 232, 235, 237, 243, 245, 246, 253, 257, 258, 262, 266, 280, 312, 315, 331, 361, 372, 380, 398, 405, 435, 450, 462, 487, 500, 512, 514, 515, 519, 520, 559, 561, 569, 580, 588, 631, 646, 649, 659.

• Options

@gosteelers - I have second and third (unregistered) sets in PSA 8/9 and would be willing to help you out with your list. The only item not in a minimum of 8 is #500-N. Ryan...only have extra 7's. I have not figured out how to send a PM since the site software was updated some months ago, but can receive them OK. Look forward to helping you out!

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Hi Dakillo,
    I just sent you a PM, thanks.

Mark

• Options

"The Abyss" was a pretty darn good movie...... but no place for the 1975 Topps Mini thread! :p

• Options

Too funny MM, I was just thinking about this Thread. Not sure what the rules and regs are, but certain they will zap it at some point if it remains inactive. We definitely don't want to have another, "Let's begin again! Once upon a time there was ..."

Tony's 1975 Minis
  • Options
    beach64beach64 Posts: 218 ✭✭

Very Impressive I feel guilty of wasting your time on the PSA 8's now :)

• Options

Good to see this thread on the front page again! Minis still rule!

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never owned a ‘75 mini card in my life and don’t really want to...however I do love these for some reason!

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

i guess minis are getting more rare now

• Options
    beach64beach64 Posts: 218 ✭✭

I am seeing quite a few lots and singles lately on ebay.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Love that mini rack.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

@ldferg said:
    Love that mini rack.

@PaulMaul said:
    I’ve never owned a ‘75 mini card in my life and don’t really want to...however I do love these for some reason!

That rack looks very familiar, lol..

• Options

I've had this one for many years...one of my favorite racks in my collection.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@ldferg said:
    Love that mini rack.

@PaulMaul said:

That rack looks very familiar, lol..

Well, I don’t think you ever owned the cello, at least!

• Options

@grote15 said:

That rack looks like it has great centering!

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:

That rack looks like it has great centering!

Thanks...if these mini racks weren't so tough to find, I'd probably have ripped it by now, lol..

• Options

I haven't opened a rack pack since 1975! Lol smile:

Nice rack Mr. Grote ;)

• Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭

I just started this set a few months ago, so I haven't read all the comments on this thread but I wanted to join in...

My goal is a PSA 9 GPA and I still have a long way to go.

I need one card to finish my PSA graded set (#53 DAVE GIUSTI)

All the other cards in my set are graded at least a PSA 8 (NQ) except #'s 56, 179, 219, 259, 354, 417 and 564

If anyone has these cards for sale, please let me know.

Carlos

• Options

@carkim said:
    I just started this set a few months ago, so I haven't read all the comments on this thread but I wanted to join in...

My goal is a PSA 9 GPA and I still have a long way to go.

I need one card to finish my PSA graded set (#53 DAVE GIUSTI)

All the other cards in my set are graded at least a PSA 8 (NQ) except #'s 56, 179, 219, 259, 354, 417 and 564

If anyone has these cards for sale, please let me know.

Carlos

Very nice! Some of the cards from that list are super tough in PSA 8 or better (Wise, Lockwood & Davis). Good luck!

• Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭

Grote - I spent one whole day dedicated to 1975 MINI's at the National this year in Cleveland. I think I walked away with 30 gradable cards. YIKES

• Options

I've been away for a while, but wanted to give a quick update. I've completed my non-PSA set and have moved on to a few other small collections that I am putting together. The last card I purchased for this collection was #228, George Brett. It took me almost exactly two years (to the day) to put the set together. I made all of my purchases thru eBay and COMC and am happy to say that I did not encounter any problems with shipping or card content/damage. It was a fun ride while it lasted, and I will eventually come back and start the slow upgrade process. :)

• Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Tim! Rip that bad boy!

1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2019 7:17PM

Strong bidding on that one. Something about it didn't quite appeal to me but the color and registration are very nice.

Good to see the mini market remains quite strong.

• Options

It looks better in person (smile)...

Super happy with it. Hard to improve on it, in my opinion. And I sure have seen many of those other 9's out there that have all kinds of print and centering issues. Finally replaces an ugly 8. With 19 9's and no 10's, these do not come around often.

Side note (and nothing to do with collecting mini's)- I bet Garvey is the next guy the committee puts in the Hall.

Tony's 1975 Minis
  • Options

@Jasme11 said:
    It looks better in person (smile)...

Super happy with it. Hard to improve on it, in my opinion. And I sure have seen many of those other 9's out there that have all kinds of print and centering issues. Finally replaces an ugly 8. With 19 9's and no 10's, these do not come around often.

Side note (and nothing to do with collecting mini's)- I bet Garvey is the next guy the committee puts in the Hall.

Congrats on the pickup, Tony! It is a very nice card. I'm just very OCD about slight diamond cuts which that one seems to have. I almost want to reach out and straighten it out just a smidge. But it is certainly deserving of the Mint 9 grade.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

if anyone has any raw cards they want to sell, I'd be interested. I had started with these a few years ago....got close to 100 cards and then turned my attention elsewhere. Won't mind picking up a few bulk lots to move further along.

• Options
    edited February 19, 2019 6:17PM

I have a PSA 8 Jim Rice #616 RC for anyone interested in purchasing one. I pulled it from a pack years ago and self-submitted it to PSA. SOLD

• Options

Anyone looking for a nice, tough PSA 8 #302 Burleson ($45 shipped) or PSA 9 #212 1974 MVPs Garvey/Burroughs ($20 shipped) or PSA 9 #332 Kendall ($12 shipped), please feel free to PM me.

• Options

Looks like Heritage has a premium, top 10 caliber Mini set up for auction. 530 9's including Brett and Yount. Any predictions on the final price???

Tony's 1975 Minis
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2019 11:01AM

@Jasme11 said:
    Looks like Heritage has a premium, top 10 caliber Mini set up for auction. 530 9's including Brett and Yount. Any predictions on the final price???

I wish they were breaking it up by individual cards like they did a few years back with another Mint set. It will be fun to watch. The Brett 9 is not to my liking. Graded very long ago and would lilkely be an 8 at best if submitted today.