Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice '92 O Quarter! I see a little rub on the cheek, but it may not be sufficient to keep it from being a MS coin. I'll give it a 20% chance at 58 and a 80% chance at 63.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Jeff said but change the 63 to a 62! image

Dr. Pete, It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the long run. For me it has opened up a little more room to try and climb back to the top. Now if only I could find a few more upgrades for my set!

I also think it might give you the chance in the long run to achieve your goal albeit it will most likely be very expensive!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What Jeff said but change the 63 to a 62! image

Dr. Pete, It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the long run. For me it has opened up a little more room to try and climb back to the top. Now if only I could find a few more upgrades for my set!

I also think it might give you the chance in the long run to achieve your goal albeit it will most likely be very expensive! >>

Darrell: I feel for you trying to locate the last 58's for your set. As far as achieving his goal, Peter knows that to bump
    Dr. Duckor, it would take a small fortune. He had calculated the number a year or two ago, and it's quite a lot. Recently,
    I have been working with a good friend, the owner of the SROTAG Collection. We have previewed a large number of upgrades
    for all his sets - and once you get into the mid to high 60's, prices are atmospheric !! I believe there is another MS Half collection
    about to come on the market and we have previewed those coins as well. At least a half dozen are under serious consideration.
    I can't say anymore than that, as I do not want to preempt that dealer's official announcement. Suffice to say, amazing coins
    and once they are released I feel they will be quickly absorbed by collectors and dealers alike. This is the freshest assortment
    I have seen in years.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Time to move this thread ahead with another photo post, this time another Barber Quarter. A 1915 PCGS AU 58:

I wish I had a '15 Half that looked like this.
  • Options

Jeff...Very lusterous coin !!

Finding a matching half is well within
    the realm of possibilities. I sold my 58
    to Carl Feldman (BCCS ) after I bought
    a MS 64. I know they are available now.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I ordered the fantasy 1916 half. The photos look amazing! Just a neat piece to supplement my real collection.

Perhaps the availability could be made known in the Barber Collector's Society Journal or home page?
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Another Barber Quarter from my meager collection- a 1893 PCGS AU 55:

There's really neat die clashing on the reverse of this coin; you can see virtually the outline of the whole head from the obverse. I find it very interesting, but I would guess it has no collector value. Does anyone else have a clash to this level on a Barber? I would like to see some.
  • Options
    We've seen many a post on the difficulty of finding a high end (XF to AU) '97 O Barber Half. When one comes available it will likely bring big $$. What would you rather own, an AU 58 or a MS 64? A VERY interesting question. imageimage
  • Options
    I am not after either grade, although I fear that they will
    be priced the same. I would be thrilled with a solid 40-45
    and up to an AU 53.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike- I suspect the 53 might bring a price that equals a 64, but none of us know. There's too little data to go on.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    As usual, I have a lot of opinions on the subject even though I don't ever think I'll be in a position where I am finacially considering it. I think I'll just go with option C and say VF. Although I am more than happy with my current F12.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - Very glad to see you're becoming a qtr man. Nice acquisitions. Although clashes aren't rare, I think your '93 exhibits about as strong a clash as I've seen. I think they add character to a coin. When it comes to a very tough date like a 97-O half, and the choice is between a 58 and a 64 for the same money, I'll go with the one that has the right look, a lightly toned original with a minimum of marks. If neither meets those requirements, I won't buy it. I've yet to regret paying up for a toughie that has just the right look.

Here are a couple that I paid up for, that always bring me pleasure when I look at them, PC45's:

And I'd be happy to pay up for an 01-S qtr that looks like my 01-S half.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Both 45's? The '04 O looks like a 45, but the '01 S looks like a 51.5 to me (between 50 & 53). image
  • Options

<< <i>J When it comes to a very tough date like a 97-O half, and the choice is between a 58 and a 64 for the same money, I'll go with the one that has the right look, a lightly toned original with a minimum of marks.

<< <i>

Let me rephrase the question then- which coin would you say carries a higher value in the marketplace today:
    1. An AU 58 PCGS Pop. 4, Value $3,000
    2. A MS 64 PCGS Pop. 16, Value $7,000

From conversations on the board there's strong interest in the AU, but any interest in the MS coin? Is something wrong with the way we're thinking?
  • Options
    No nibbles on my question- I'll add a photo of a recent raw Liberty Nickel purchase, a 1899:

I think this will grade 64- I'll send it a couple of weeks from now.
  • Options
    Another addition to my Barber Half Everyman's set, a 1894 S PCGS AU 58:

I just like the thought of Darryl and Don shaking in their boots as I sneak up behind them. They don't even notice my posts! image
  • Options
    Jeff - It does seem as if there's something wrong with our thinking when an average dipped 58 brings more money than an average dipped 64. I have no problem with the original, eye appealing 58 bringing more money than the average dipped 64, tho. Nice additions, by the way.

Pics for this AM, a couple of months ago I posted a raw 07-S half, with a GTG. Our hosts said 45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Jeff! image If you want any boots to start shaking you need to start buying a few of the tougher coins like this! 1897-S

You mentioned earlier how you were surprised how little difference some of your upgrades make. Ya gotta buy some of the better dates with big mulitpliers!

Verne...I suspected that. For those who don't want to spend 10 minutes finding the original post it's on page 56.
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern, I know you're not a half dollar guy, but the three that you have recently posted are special indeed. Hope you find that 01-S someday. You deserve it.

Jeff, I don't think there's anything "Everyman" about an Everyman set. When you see a 97-S half dollar that Daryl provided the link to (Thanks) listed for more than any MS-66 has ever auctioned for, you can't tell this dumb guinea that an everyman set is for those who can't afford to collect uncs. However, for those who like to collect in this grade, and I also do, I can see the attraction, but I'd rather have the 66 for that money and screw the registry.

Justin, For the record, A perfectly matched VF set is as beautiful as any other IMHO. And you'll have money left over for vacation.

Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • Options

<< <i>Jeff! image If you want any boots to start shaking you need to start buying a few of the tougher coins like this! 1897-S q]

You're encouraging us to purchase from another vendor? We only have so many dollars....... image
  • Options
    Did anyone else see this on eBay

Rare Double Struck Barber Half

It looks like an amazingly rare coin, and only $6,000. I wonder how many China made? image
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    For those with ridiculously high tastes in Barber Halves (was this the collection you referred to a few posts above in this thread, Mike?) -- sadly these are above my pay grade, but they sure are nice to look at (the below taken from a post I made this morning):

Link to the Cincinnati Collection of Barber Halves

The thing I like best about Mike's photography (I assume Mike took the example image below) is it definitely shows the coin in a pleasant light, as it should -- but it's not a juiced glamour shot; you can see the skin of the coin very accurately. This particular shot is crisp enough to be able to tell that the wispy smudge over the "AL" in "HALF DOLLAR" is actually on the surface of the slab. Of course no image can replace seeing something in hand, but this is pretty close to ideal, IMO.

image >>

• Options
    I hate to throw water on that sellers burning desire to sell
    the 1897-S at that price, ( I agree with Paesan ) but the
    buyers who were paying MS 66 prices for AU 58 coins have
    been selling off their coins. My last purchase of an 1894 in 58
    came from a collector who fueled the EVERYMAN market for
    the last few years. ( All I can say is, thank the Good Lord he
    was actively buying when I sold my better set ). I ended paying
    half of what he paid back in 2011.

Another set of Mid to Higher end UNC's has hit the market.{*}
    { As discussed in OriginalIsBest's post }.
    I mentioned this the other day. There are some amazing
    coins in that group ( it's an incomplete set - but what is there
    makes up for its lack of completeness ). The dealer just sent
    out an email blast to his customers, and I advised him to add
    the BST to his ad campaign.

Many coins have presold due to the dealers' want lists. So, do
    not be disappointed if a coin or two you want has already sold.

Years ago, DrPete told us about the value of having one dealer
    who you trust to secure the coins you want to be in your collection.
    I have found a few dealers that I trust their judgement and only
    wish I had the resources to relieve them of their inventory. Any
    dealer who thinks of his established clientele before making public
    his recent consignment is to be applauded. The benefit of want lists.

I only hope that our Barber Thread membership takes advantage of
    this recent offering of superlative Halves. They are well beyond my
    "Pay Grade".

EDIT: OriginalIsBest: Yes, it is the Cincinnati Collection that I was
    referring to. I had to laugh after I posted this reply (above) that you had
    chosen the same terminology as I had for being as poor as a church mouse.
    {just an expression} ...

I think Mike Printz did a great job on the images - small hairlines can be filled
    in by Plastix for imaging purposes - but some abrasions can't be erased, like
    the one you referred to over HALF !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>I hate to throw water on that sellers burning desire to sell
    the 1897-S at that price, ( I agree with Paesan ) but the
    buyers who were paying MS 66 prices for AU 58 coins have
    been selling off their coins. My last purchase of an 1894 in 58
    came from a collector who fueled the EVERYMAN market for
    the last few years. ( All I can say is, thank the Good Lord he
    was actively buying when I sold my better set ). I ended paying
    half of what he paid back in 2011.

I think Mike Printz did a great job on the images - small hairlines can be filled
    in by Plastix for imaging purposes - but some abrasions can't be erased, like
    the one you referred to over HALF ! >>

Yep- I have to agree that Moon Money for a 58 is nonsense. If the Registry gave out a large annual cash prize it would make sense. As it is only a couple of dozen people in the world really care about "who's on top", so I won't be contending unless I can find a way to purchase '58's at AU prices. Who knows how long this AU craze will last?

Mike, I've yet to find a slab with a scratch/ scrape that I couldn't remove. Headlight restorer works wonders!
  • Options
    Regarding the quality of the photo by Mike it is great. There are a couple of tricks employed to make it look great, however. First, the photo was circle cropped to cut out all the extraneous clutter. Then it was placed on a white background so your eye only sees the coin.

Here's the exact same image as I posted above using this technique:

Doesn't the image look more attractive this way? image
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Jeff,

First off, I don't place my images into a white background to "make them look better", rather our website employs a white background so any other backdrop wouldn't make sense. Re: cropping, well, that just makes sense since all the images are shot with the coins in their respective holders. This just makes sense and allows for a more enjoyable viewing experience. Lastly, all holders are cleaned with a plastic cleaner I've had made by an outside firm...however, there are certain issues that simply can't be removed and hence show up in the final images.

Hope this clears a few things up. I do not employ "tricks" as you referenced.

MP
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    My apologies- I used the wrong language to describe your photos. It definitely sounded condescending.

I was trying to point out that photos look much better when competing clutter is removed- not trying to suggest that your photos had been unfairly manipulated. I thought I was giving you props for making the effort to produce very professional material, but I really messed it up and insulted you. Once again, my apologies.

I just looked for a "foot in mouth" icon- I don't see one.
  • Options
    Jeff...I could've linked the 96-O I have available! image

Mike....I assure you Mr. Sunshine is and was not the biggest driving force for AU-58's! There are several others not including myself!
  • Options
    I'd like to chime in on the imaging issue. Mike P, glad you're out there and I like hearing from dealers on the threads! I'm sure Jeff meant no disrespect.

Imaging coins has to be one of the most difficult tasks to master. Interpreting images is even more of an art IMO. We all would agree that seeing a coin in hand is the way to go, but that's not always feasible. I'm sure dealers (and collectors who occasionally sell) lose a lot of business and dollars if the photos aren't clear. On the other end of the spectrum, some images are so sharp that every minute imperfection seems like a gouge, and the perfectionists might shy away from a beautiful coin.

When I consider a coin, I think about this. If the image is very sharp and there are not any outside distractions, I see a great opportunity to examine skin and luster and originality. The marks, unless obviously distracting, will probably not distract when the coin is in hand. I also consider angles provided. Usually if a seller provides multiple angles, there is an appeal to the coin that cannot be captured with a lens.

Fuzzy images can also be superb opportunities. Many of us have no photography skills whatsoever. In my case, I'm just plain lazy. Even these distorted images can be interpreted with a little patience and practice. I've found some winners this way that nobody else considered.

What Mike P does (which not all dealers do, or major auctioneers for that matter) is that he is consistent. That helps a lot. If you provide all images using the same lighting, cropping techniques, etc. that's all we can ask for.

Make sure there is a return privilege, and I always pay shipping both ways if I decide to return a coin, as a courtesy to the dealer for time and effort.

I'm out.
    Paesan
  • Options
    Pasaean...very good post about pictures!

I've been meaning to ask.....are you on a disco fling with your new avatar? image
  • Options

<< <i>...Many of us have no photography skills whatsoever. In my case, I'm just plain lazy.... >>

That pretty much sums me up.
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Vern that you will never regret a buy with the right look, whatever the grade. The 00-O, I believe, is an example. This date was a challenge to find.
    Mike has a good point that AU 58's are softening. I was able to rescue my old 96-O (foolishly sold) at a reduced price.

imageimage

Craig

• Options
    My opinion probably doesn't matter much here, but on a battle of 58 versus MS, I think that 96-O takes the cake. A coin like that would be worth it to me. (as if I had the money to make that choice) Super clean, and without the hint of rub, would feel like a 64 coin. As far as the 97-S half. Well, I don't think it has the pizzazz for the exorbitant price of a 66. Sure it may be the photos, and it may be my lack of experience in the AU58 grades, but I just don't see it.

Vern - Great looking halves as usual. A little more rub and dirt, and I would be hounding you for years to sell them to me. image
  • Options
    Paesan - Good point, Everyman sets aren't for the everyman. Especially when rare dates are involved. I think back to the old days, before registry sets and everyman sets, and remember that a really nice 58 had as much value as a decent MS63, or an average MS64. A dealer friend used to call them AU63's. What has screwed things up are rarer date coins in 58 slabs that look like crap (and there are a lot of them IMO), that end up bringing crazy money just because somebody wants it for their registry set. I don't think big bucks are out of line for a 58 in cases where the coin is truly rare in nice original condition, and is a nice original coin. I'd be happy to pay 64 money for an AU58 01-S qtr that fits the bill. I'd also be happy to pay 64 money for a nice MS63 as well.

Jeff - That ebay half raises red flags everywhere, and for only $6K.

Craig - Congrats on getting your 96-O back.

Justin - Glad you stick with VF's. Gives me a little chance to snare an XF once in a while.

Pics for this AM, a really rare coin when it has this kind of look, and it doesn't matter whether its a 58 or a 65 (just try and find a nice 65), from Doug's collection:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Labelman,I do agree the more common dates are getting softer....the semi keys are holding their own and the better dates...well there are a few that if they come up for auction I believe it will be no holes barred.

Justin...I don't like that 97-S either. The stigma with the 97-S is only 2 years ago the top pop for a 97-S was a 55. Now there are 5 and all but this one are in pretty strong hands. All the trades up to date on 97-s's support this price.
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug's 1901-O is one of the most difficult AU coins to find, especially with a great look. That coin is superb as are the images. I had to settle for a really nice 64.
    Craig

• Options
    Craig- That '96 O 25C is one beautiful coin (IMHO). Congrats.
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i>Doug's 1901-O is one of the most difficult AU coins to find, especially with a great look.
    That coin is superb as are the images. I had to settle for a really nice 64. >>

Craig: I agree, it really is a great 01-O. I also had to settle for our MS 64 . Seeing Doug's coin reminded me
    of exactly how difficult locating a nice AU of this date actually is. This date is rarely available in any collectible grade
    ( I recently added a very strong example in F-12. So, I am still scouting for a nicer example. )

Craig, no one was happier than I was when you located your 1896-O. It's a great coin, and I was glad
    to have had possession of it when I did. I'm just pleased that I found a choice PCGS AU 55 example for
    the most recent set.

Speaking of Quarters, I am planning on having mine professionally imaged by Valente151 when he flys down
    in early July for the Summer FUN show.

I recently had him order my hard copy prints ( my missing Dimes' images ) and I should have those for my
    library album any day now.

Paesan: Very attractive 1895 Quarter - in AU 53. Very wholesome looking coin & very original too.

Happy Memorial Day !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, another newp into Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Since I am naturally curious, is the new "Harry Laibstain" Quarter sets from the actual dealer? Just wondering because of the grades, and the lack of the big three. HLRC deals in some big coins, and I find it hard to believe the as a dealer he wouldn't have those for the set.

• Options
    Justin - I asked him. It's his set. Why it has the coins it does (and why it's missing the others) remains to be seen.

Pics for this AM, a couple from my collection that could fill two of Harry's missing holes. Want to make a trade Harry?

Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i>Since I am naturally curious, is the new "Harry Laibstain" Quarter sets from the actual dealer? Just wondering because of the grades, and the lack of the big three. HLRC deals in some big coins, and I find it hard to believe the as a dealer he wouldn't have those for the set. >>

For all I know, it's HLRC himself...or he could have started the set for his son (?).....we all started
    somewhere when just getting going. Most dealers don't like tying up a lot of cash into a personal
    collection - so, it doesn't surprise me one iota that he's missing "the big three".

Vern, those certainly would be choice additions to his set.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Vern. I think it's pretty cool that he has them in all grade ranges. I just want to clarify that my post above wasn't meant to be negative.
  • Options
    Hope everyone enjoyed their Memorial Day weekend. I mostly spent my time doing the garden and digging the weeds.

Daryl, I've been on a disco fling since 1978, mostly old club freestyle and not mainstream radio stuff. I was quite the fancy roller skater too! Love rock and jazz too. I bounce around.

Craig, Put me on the list for that 00-O. One of my faves and I can't find a decent high AU. Luckily, a few 62-63 have been available, but yours is PQ.

Mike, Thanks on the 95. I believe that and the 1910 are recent Iowa hand-me-downs. I'm quite the fortunate coin collector.

Personally, I think the 97-S half will sell very close to the ask price, if it hasn't already, and I haven't really taken a good look at it, but it has that magic number (which we all need to remember, is just an opinion stuck in plastic.) My everyman set is full of 62s and 63s!

Paesan

P.S. For those born at night, they appear as holes on the registry. :-)
  • Options
    I know of 3- 1897 S PCGS AU 58 50C up for sale at this time. Two of them are over $14K. Are there enough buyers out there for all 3 at those $$? You won't see me chasing one of them when I can purchase a MS 66 for less $$.

I did, however, purchase a Big Boy coin last week in a PCGS holder:

• Options

Holy Smokes, Jeff !!!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I'm putting a sawbuck down on Jeff as a dark horse.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Jeff, that is a beautiful coin!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Jeff! Nice 97-O! You gonna step up and start competing with Dr. Pete?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file