Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since I am naturally curious, is the new "Harry Laibstain" Quarter sets from the actual dealer? Just wondering because of the grades, and the lack of the big three. HLRC deals in some big coins, and I find it hard to believe the as a dealer he wouldn't have those for the set. >>

For all I know, it's HLRC himself...or he could have started the set for his son (?).....we all started
    somewhere when just getting going. Most dealers don't like tying up a lot of cash into a personal
    collection - so, it doesn't surprise me one iota that he's missing "the big three".

Vern, those certainly would be choice additions to his set.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, Vern. I think it's pretty cool that he has them in all grade ranges. I just want to clarify that my post above wasn't meant to be negative.
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope everyone enjoyed their Memorial Day weekend. I mostly spent my time doing the garden and digging the weeds.

Daryl, I've been on a disco fling since 1978, mostly old club freestyle and not mainstream radio stuff. I was quite the fancy roller skater too! Love rock and jazz too. I bounce around.

Craig, Put me on the list for that 00-O. One of my faves and I can't find a decent high AU. Luckily, a few 62-63 have been available, but yours is PQ.

Mike, Thanks on the 95. I believe that and the 1910 are recent Iowa hand-me-downs. I'm quite the fortunate coin collector.

Personally, I think the 97-S half will sell very close to the ask price, if it hasn't already, and I haven't really taken a good look at it, but it has that magic number (which we all need to remember, is just an opinion stuck in plastic.) My everyman set is full of 62s and 63s!

Paesan

P.S. For those born at night, they appear as holes on the registry. :-)
    More coins, less government.
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of 3- 1897 S PCGS AU 58 50C up for sale at this time. Two of them are over $14K. Are there enough buyers out there for all 3 at those $$? You won't see me chasing one of them when I can purchase a MS 66 for less $$.

I did, however, purchase a Big Boy coin last week in a PCGS holder:

I love them Barber Halves.....

Holy Smokes, Jeff !!!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    I'm putting a sawbuck down on Jeff as a dark horse.
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Jeff, that is a beautiful coin!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff! Nice 97-O! You gonna step up and start competing with Dr. Pete?

Last night's winnings:

I love error Barbers as well [ as if I needed to tell you ] !!

{ This coin will be reimaged in early July }

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - That's a beauty.

Mike - Nice addition, now your 95-O has company.

Congrats to both of you.

Pics for this AM, my 97-O qtr, PC62:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    Mike- that's one way cool dime! image
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like to have that 97-o

<< <i>Like to have that 97-o >>

Yup... I'd like to have both 1897-O's !!

Great looking coins, guys.

One of these days, Vern, I'll post all my Barber Dime errors.
    I've had a few over the years.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Since we didn't get our daily dose today, may I recommend a good little read at HLRC (In The Loupe) and check out the 92-O Micro half while you're there. Should we expect a daily double tomorrow? :-)

Paesan
    I liked the write up. Especially the comments about the market. I also liked his comment about his hotel being 37 blocks away from the Pogue sale. I laughed a bit at that one. Thanks for forwarding that along, paesan.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowee Jeff, amazing half. The holy grail of Barber halves as far as I am concerned.

Tyler
    Paesan - "In the Loupe" was a very good read. Thanks.

Daily double for today, a couple from the Stash (or maybe formerly of the Stash), PC30 & PC45:

And one of my favorite pics, the start of my grading set (that I could only afford to keep for a few days):

Vern
    l
    Well worth the wait. Eye candy overload. The 01-S picture has always been one of my favorites.
    Vern, Great daily double! I sold the 45 this year, along with 4 or 5 others from my set. I'm sure they'll come around again.

The picture of the trio of 01-S quarters is a classic. To think that most of the everyman collections would have a hole there or a G-4 at best, and then you see three like this, and they are all extremely nice examples, it's pretty amazing.

Paesan
    Thanks Justin & Paesan.

No pics tonight, Photobucket not working.
    Vern
    l
    I'll add a photo this morning- a recent raw pickup came in the mail yesterday.

1900 S 50C:

I think it has a chance at 58; I need to upgrade my 55.
    Jeff, I have been wrong about your pictures before,but based on your pictures the best I can see is a 53.
    I can see it going either way, Jeff. It's very close to a 58,
    but not sold it is such. Nice coin, regardless.

PS: Don't listen to the old man - it's clearly much nicer than an AU 53.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    In hand the coin looks like a 58. With "platter" sized photos (quoting MFH) all the imperfections are magnified. The reverse is definitely a 58, but the face has a lot of abrasions on it. From a wear standpoint it's a 58, but from a condition standpoint it may be viewed as a 55.

I rushed the photo last night- not my best work (mixed light). image

<< <i>In hand the coin looks like a 58. With "platter" sized photos (quoting MFH) all the imperfections are magnified. The reverse is definitely a 58, but the face has a lot of abrasions on it. From a wear standpoint it's a 58, but from a condition standpoint it may be viewed as a 55.

I rushed the photo last night- not my best work (mixed light). image >>

Wear is secondary to marks and abbrasions when it comes to a 58! There is a lotta chatter in the cap and the cheek is quite busy....plattersize or not! image

Edit to add...looks like she is getting over a fat lip also! image
    Another raw pickup, this time a 1906 5C:

I'm hoping this will make it at MS 64. I've decided to work on a Liberty Nickel MS set, 63/ 64. I like the look of the coins.
    I think your wish will come through with that nickel Jeff!
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1500!
    Many happy BST transactions
    Jeff... The V Nickel you just posted is nicer than a 64;
    IMHO. The Reverse image did not post on my end, but the details on
    OBV could qualify for a 65/65+. You will really enjoy working
    on this set. I am not familiar with the look of altered surfaces
    on Nickel...be careful !! I don't see blazing luster on that V Nickel
    to say for certain it's a Gem/+.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Jeff, might be just the light, but my number one concern would be over dipped. I grade AU details. I've been VERY wrong before about your coins though. Hope I'm wrong again.

Paesan
    Jeff - I'm guessing your V Nick will make 64. The 00-S half, who knows.

My photobucket still won't work, so I thought I'd try Flickr. My 1892, PC58:

Vern
    l
    Hmmmmm. Back to the drawing board.
    Vern
    l
    How bad does a counterfeit have to be before even a novice should know?

1896-O Barber Half

I messaged the seller...Be interesting to see what they do.
    Lenny- the 5C is just toned a bit- not dipped.

Darrell- that's the worst fake Barber Half I've seen. It's hard to believe the seller thinks it's original.
    Jeff, I was guessing on the 00-S half, not the nickel. Still, hope my eyes deceive me.
    Newp - albeit in an NGC holder - going to the PC Grading Room soon - for Cross @ Any Grade

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike-

A beautiful '07 Philly 25C! I presume it's in a NGC 63 holder?
    Darrell - In general, I'd say pretty bad.

Mike - Nice looking newp.

Pics for this AM (who knows why photobucket is now working?), the qtr I tried posting yesterday::

Vern
    l
    Mike, Very nice, regardless of holder. Or is it irregardless?

Paesan

Two more newps... then ... need to slow down...Summer FUN is coming !

This is in an NGC Holder - will cross at any grade, after a quick dip in acetone. I see gunk where there shouldn't be any....

This is already in a PCGS holder - its off to CAC - ASAP
    { I was underbidder on this coin three years ago}

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

I saw that 1909-S quarter in hand the other day and it was really pretty. Seems to have went for strong money, but was probably worth it. Congrats for hunting it down and getting it image

I got one in at auction yesterday, an 1893-O quarter that I normally would have passed over, but in looking at it closely it appeared to have a nice repunched mintmark. I checked the Barber Collectors Society census done a couple of years ago and they do mention one 1893-O/O, but this one appears to maybe be a different one. Unless something else is going on with the coin. Here's a cropped pic of the close up auction photos. There appears to be at least one, maybe two partial underlying O mintmarks under the upper left corner of the O.

I checked all of the CoinFacts pics for this date and didn't see any others though. Anyone else see one of these or maybe think it might not be an RPM??? I'll have it at Long Beach probably by Thursday afternoon if any Barber collectors want to check it out in person. Not sure I'll be able to make it to the BCCS gathering, but I'll try image

Mike

<< <i>Mike,

I saw that 1909-S quarter in hand the other day and it was really pretty. Seems to have went for strong money, but was probably worth it. Congrats for hunting it down and getting it image

I got one in at auction yesterday, an 1893-O quarter that I normally would have passed over, but in looking at it closely it appeared to have a nice repunched mintmark. I checked the Barber Collectors Society census done a couple of years ago and they do mention one 1893-O/O, but this one appears to maybe be a different one. Unless something else is going on with the coin. Here's a cropped pic of the close up auction photos. There appears to be at least one, maybe two partial underlying O mintmarks under the upper left corner of the O.

I checked all of the CoinFacts pics for this date and didn't see any others though. Anyone else see one of these or maybe think it might not be an RPM??? I'll have it at Long Beach probably by Thursday afternoon if any Barber collectors want to check it out in person. Not sure I'll be able to make it to the BCCS gathering, but I'll try image

Mike >>

Looks like strike doubling to me. It is also evident in the tail and arrow feathers. Here is an example on a dime that is more extreme: 1906-O Barber Dime
    I received another Liberty Nickel in the mail today, this time already in a PCGS holder- a 1888 PCGS MS 63:

This is an older slab and was all scratched up when I received it. I got my exercise buffing it out so I could take decent pictures. The Liberty Nickels sure can develop some very attractive colors!image
    Mike - Congrats on the 2 newps, both toughies.

Mike K - Looks like an RPM to me. Will be interested to hear how it looks in hand.

Jeff - Very attractive V nick. Congrats.

Pics for this AM, haven't posted this in a while, from Jim in Iowa's collection, PC40:

Vern
    l
    Mike - Per David Lawrence "Varieties: Four mint marked positions in First Edition. A fifth, recently seen with the mintmark partially over the R (photo). Among these are two distinct locations: “centered” between the R and D and “far right” (over the D). There are at least two RPM’s (see below) — Superior Galleries listed a small 0 cut over a larger O, intended for half dollars (The Durham Sale, May 1973). Breen also listed a triple O. A specimen described below with die cracks is also noteworthy." So you might be on to something. https://www.davidlawrence.com/books/the-complete-guide-to-barber-quarters/chapter-4/date-analysis/1893-o/ I will take a look at my first edition book tonight to see if there are any additional photos.

Iowa Jim - that is one killer half.

Mike H and Jeff - Congrats on the NEWPs.

I wasn't really in the market to buy anything for a while, but David Kahn got me again. He posted this coin over the weekend and I couldn't resist.

Justin-

Good looking '01 O; is it in a 20 holder?
    It's in a 25 holder.

As if I have to tell you, Justin, you'll never go wrong by buying that coin.
    It's a sweetheart !! Love the look. Really nice details remaining.

At your age, when I was collecting VG 8-10's, I'd have killed for that coin.
    Nice job. ( I should say, lucky you for finding it before scores of others did. )

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Whoa, baby! A Logpotato special! It's been a long time!!!

Mike, Going deep right before FUN! Congrats!

Jeff, Another V. Done with that set yet?

Vern, That 97-S needs to spend summer vacation in South Florida...

Paesan
    I'm still working on my "V" Liberty Nickel set. I've purchased a lot of very nice coins over the last 8 weeks, some of them at incredible prices. I still need to make the plunge and spend Big Boy $$ on the Big 3 ('85, '86, and 12 S). These coins are very available, it's just about spending $$$. A Liberty Nickel collection isn't much of a challenge compared to Barber Halves and Quarters.

Another raw Nickel arrived in the mail today, this time a 1897:

I love the color on this coin. I'll be sending it to our host next week for grading; I think it has a shot at 64 (but a better shot at 63). A very nice coin no matter what the grade! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file