Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• << <i>I got the Clemente a month ago, and the Wagner showed yesterday. I can't wait to get these into custom cards. Still working on design.
    image >>

Holy cow! I look forward to the customs that come from these. Great additions!
  • Snorto, I said the same thing in another thread. If money was no object and I could own any one Mantle, it would be his 51 Bowman RC, HANDS DOWN, not his 52 Topps 2nd year card. Not even close.
  • There sure are some impressive pieces on this thread. Very cool stuff.

This card is pretty tough to find in mint condition. Surface snow is a common issue, as well as sensitive corners with the gold foil design. There are 5,000 copies issued so it's not a rare card, and many are likely still buried in cases. This happens to be the only 10, recently popped, and I am thrilled to have it in the collection. For a Sandberg collector, it's likely in his "Top 5" cards ever released.

• Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

I always loved these Playoff framed pieces, they were must have items for any player collectors especially. In a lot of ways, I miss having so many card manufacturers and the innovation brought about by competition around the mid-1990's to mid-2000's.

<< <i>image[/URL] >>

Beautiful box and one you don't see too often, but isn't that the one you've been trying to sell for a couple months now already? I'm surprised it's still available. I know 1961 Nu-Card isn't extremely popular, but that is a tough box to find, especially in such terrific shape.

<< <i>image >>

Gorgeous card... you've every right to be smitten and then some!

<< <i>image >>

I love the look of so many vintage boxing cards. I know the sport isn't as popular as it once was, but I can't believe how inexpensive most of the major rookies are compared to other sports. I pick up 1948 Leaf boxing cards as I come across bargain priced, well centered examples... would like to put the set together some day.

<< <i>image >>

I still don't fully understand the HUGE disparity between Mantle's rookie and the 1952 Topps card. I really dig the smaller form factor of 1951 Bowman, find the image every bit as attractive as his 1952 Topps, and then there is the small matter of this being his ROOKIE CARD! I know I am in the very small minority, but if I was going to buy only one Mantle, it would be this. Congrats on an epic addition to your already impressive collection.

Snorto~ >>

I have only listed the Nu Card box 1 time prior to this week. Just killing some time on ebay until the auction houses start their spring. Unless someone grabs it before then.
  • MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    Here is my latest pick up. I have a few other cards from the 57 Topps set all of which have higher grades and this card's eye appeal blows them all away.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a superb Mick card - I have one OC - it's amazing how much borders make a difference in the appearance of a card. And I used to not care.
    Mike

<< <i>I got the Clemente a month ago, and the Wagner showed yesterday. I can't wait to get these into custom cards. Still working on design.
    image >>

Superb!

I'm looking forward to seeing. The custom cards that have come out of this forum are not only sweet but are more interesting than those from the card companies IMO.
    Mike
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    You all have been hitting big lately. Congrats and some awesome items.

One more

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
    I might have a soft spot for the Flawless cards ...

• That mccoy is unbelievable!
    As a boxing fan I found this one to be a nice add ... I still need the Manny A&G Auto

Geez Matt, I really like the Kobe card!

Thanx.
    Mike
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Been trying to grab a nice example of this card for a long time. Hard to find centered and this is not the best but great color and gloss. My post Super Bowl overtime purchase. Doug

Card is better than the scan, no snow on card.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

• << <i>^^^^ Another Mets coach! >>

The Mets? Do they still have a team?
    Damn nice card Doug!

Mike
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>^^^^ Another Mets coach! >>

The Mets? Do they still have a team? >>

Yes.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    One Old Guy

One New Guy

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
    Thanks Mike!

The great cards keep coming ... Best thread ever
    That's a really nice Aaron card - super color!
    Mike
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can never go wrong with Hank that looks that nice! Congrats!!
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just started buying some from this set:

imageimage

No the Boone card is not a supersized card!! image
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    No the Boone card is not a supersized card!!

That leads me to my second question. Is the Yeager card a "mini"? image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Happy to add a signed OPC RC to the collection. Always wanted one!

• jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I love the rough cut on that OPC Mattingly!!
    A fun Manning
    It's tough to find nice 81s like that Kirk - the centering is very nice. Are you just focusing in on the catchers?

Matt - cool card tho Peyton seems to be dwarfed by his own jersey I'm a big fan.
    Mike

<< <i>Happy to add a signed OPC RC to the collection. Always wanted one!

image >>

Congratulations on the auto RC!
    Mike

<< <i>It's tough to find nice 81s like that Kirk - the centering is very nice. Are you just focusing in on the catchers?

Matt - cool card tho Peyton seems to be dwarfed by his own jersey I'm a big fan. >>

No, but I do have a thing for catcher cards!! image
    Hello Mike. That Yogi Berra Berk Ross thread inspired me to build this set ... I am now at 64%

• elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Nice! I've never encountered the Berk Ross Doubles before... I am guessing there are no football players depicted in the set?

Despite my reservations about unopened material with stars showing on top, I've been slowly plugging away at a this section of my Walter Payton collection. I'm chasing all of his cards (base, record breakers, Bears leaders cards, etc.) from 1976-1988 showing on the front or back of cellos, racks, or grocery racks. While I've been mostly picking these up in raw form, I wanted to get this one slabbed:

My OCD usually won't allow for centering issues, but for some reason it doesn't bother me nearly as much with unopened materials. Still, I may upgrade this one as the opportunity presents itself.

Now the question becomes as if I will free it from the slab to be consistent with the rest of my (raw) cellos or not?

I've also been polishing off quite a few insert & master sets from the 90's & 00's. I won't bore the board with all of them, but here are two of my favorites from those I've recently finished off, starting with 2001 Upper Deck Pros & Prospects A Piece Of History game used autographs:

And, while much cheaper and readily available, I really like this 2000 Skybox E-X E-Xciting set as well (Peter Warrick #10 not pictured):

Keep the additions coming, gents, this thread gets increasingly epic with every scan/photo!

Snorto~
    Snorto .. Great Payton pack. Love the Pros and Prospects set -- note to self start that one.

The Berk Ross Doubles is a true multi-sport set and has some football representation.
    Never have seen those E-xciting cards before. Pretty cool looking cards!!
  • Man this thread is impressive! I am collecting 1959 Topps Braves team set, found me some tough Braves items. Of course the cello and salesman sample/blank back cant be added to the set. But I could not resist them since they are Braves and in combo with being very very hard to find in any condition with any player. The cello is amazing!

[URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1959 TOPPS BASEBALL 4TH SERIES CELLO PACK PSA 7_zpsldu5hqiy.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1959 TOPPS 27 ANDY PAFKO BLANK BACK SALESMAN SAMPLE PSA_zpsocsix2bu.jpg.html]image[/URL][URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/1979Trek/media/1959 TOPPS 419 MILWAUKEE BRAVES TEAM PSA 10 1 of 3_zpsezqiejsy.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Love that Payton cello snort...nice pickup!
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection

Incredible!
    Mike
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    image[/URL]

I was going to ask where the blank backs come from, but I see from your URL that it came from a salesman sample sheet. Will PSA assign a grade to these, or will they only slab them as authentic?

Thank you for the kind words on my recent additions, gentlemen!

<< <i>Snorto .. Great Payton pack. Love the Pros and Prospects set -- note to self start that one. >>

Nice! You've inspired me to start a couple sets from posting your pick ups here, so I was due some payback! image

The cards are surprisingly affordable, aside from the Johnny U. of course, and show up fairly often... with the exception of Steve Young for some reason.

If you're serious about putting the set together and you see a Young... grab it while you can!

Thank you again for the comments and have a great week ahead.

Snorto~
  • MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 498 ✭✭✭
    Some tough high-grade first-cards of some backstops of moderate success

• Love those minor league cards!

<< <i>Love those minor league cards! >>

+1
    Mike
  • CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    So happy to complete this (complete run of Art Monk 1981 unopened) I had to share twice!

Thanks again to Brandon, Alex and Steve for the help!
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
    Here are a few recent pick ups

The Totally Green #'d 2/5

And 2 more for my set

• Loving the Brady stuff!
    Thanks ... I really like the Crusade cards
  • Once I complete the cappelletti master set and my list of Tippett needs continues to dwindle, Brady will be my next player collection.
    Picked up this one recently .. Pretty happy with it: