Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the 54 Bowman Mick! Still need to find a similarly centered example (ideally) but in a lower grade. That one is a gem!
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Here are my Hall of Fame coins from the US Mint...

Just back from PSA via the March group sub....

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copped the Joe D from my local cardshop raw. I'm just a softy for a purchase from the local brick and mortar shop.

The Ted is a specific specimen I was lusting after for years now-- this card is almost always diamond cut with an ugly sloping top down and to the right. The square cut of this one appealed to me a couple years ago on ebay and I was able to work out a nice fair trade with its owner.

What I love about Joe D and Ted cards is that they both have hallowed statistical feats that stand to bring much attention to their careers and the cards, should those feats ever be challenged again. Eventually someone will have a long hit streak and someone will give .400 a run.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up a couple Clementes for my set. The Dimaggio and Williams cards are awesome. Those are both actually my favorite cards for each of those players. 2 cards i hope to own someday.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    Love that Joe D card
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Wow fellas, great cards of iconic players. Enjoy them!
    One more down ... finish line in sight if I can find the cards for the Retro Autos

• elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>One more down ... finish line in sight if I can find the cards for the Retro Autos

image >>

Nice! I've been tracking these on eBay for a number of months and that is the first time I have seen a Rice show up. I contemplated hitting the BIN myself, but ultimately passed, gambling I can pick one up for a bit less in the future. That said, if I were down to only 2 cards for this set, I wouldn't have hesitated for even a minute.

Who is the last one you need?

Snorto~
  • 2 separate packages in today's mail, 2 terrific cards, from 2 tremendous board members.....

Bought this one from board member LeagueLeader at a fair price. My first graded Clemente and my third graded 1968. Thanks Jack!

Got this one in my 4th trade with LarkinCollector. Kyle is a great dude and when I told him I'm building a Gino Cappelletti player collection he hunted this baby down for me. Can't thank him enough. What a great addition to my collection!
    Went by the LCS at Lunch

Great cards again guys/gals

Bad Scan .. Awesome card
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    2007 Topps Triple Threads Autographed Relic Platinum #TTRA133 Tony Gonzalez 1/1

(Anyone with rare Gonzo cards for me?)
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    It's always fun catching up with the variety of great pickups here. I was able to add to my Senators/Twins type collection when I "found" some money in my PayPal account. I spent a heck of a lot more that was in there, but it was a Father's Day present, too! What the wife doesn't know doesn't...

imageimage
    Nice pick up hoof

A couple more
    I don't think I've ever seen the 1937 O-Pee-Chee, Hoof, very cool. It looks like it had a Topps Stand-Ups vibe to it, correct?

Great stuff, as always, Halo. I know Upper Deck has a lot of detractors in the hobby... with good reason... but they've consistently put out some of the sharpest cards in the hobby. I'd love for them to get their NFL license back.

Snorto~
    A few new ones

I like this set:

And a mash up of AROD #/60, Tavon #/10 and Johnny Football because I just had to get one #/25

I didn't have a Roy Jones Jr auto .. Moose was just fun and I enjoy the issue .. and AJ had a nice college run and may be a sleeper.

The Sammy W is 5/10 ... the Kareem is an upgrade for my set and just need 2 more to finish that set.
    Great stuff as always. I know this board is skewed towards vintage stuff, but I like seeing what's available in modern football offerings.

What is that Watkins from... I am guessing some 1948 Leaf design insert, yes?

Snorto~
    The Watkins is from 2014 Leaf Originals ... got it from the local shop. I was hoping he would join the Rams but it didn't happen.

A couple more:

I need to do a Thick card sub soon
  • Nice stuff. I thought 2013 Ultimate was really nice, a lot of nice patches in it.
    Went to the LCS today at lunch and picked up this Mikan I have wanted for a while .. The Weaver was a bonus

While waiting for some grades to pop these found there way to the collection:

I loved watching Earl:

These two came from the LCS. I'm always in for a Ty until I can get a true vintage one (I need a 1911 Mecca Double Folder in a 5) and the Dr J. is just a cool card design:

And another from this set --- Who didn't love Saturday's watching these 3:

and another of the 2:

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Great cards Matt! I agree. Earl was a beast. He was my dad's favorite player in the 80's because of his bruising style of play.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    WOW, that's some really nice stuff you've been picking up lately

awesome!!

Thanks Zep ... if I only had your luck opening boxes
    So when not buying AROD cards I do actually build some other sets.

Mt Lantz leaves me 3 cards shy of a 9 or better set here ... the two SPs will be the bane of this set:

I've wanted to do a real vintage set and this was my choice initially -- I hope to finish it someday in PSA 5 uniformly. It's small enough and am now at 12%:

The same guy sold me this Musial and was confused why I would buy both cards. The Stan leaves me 2 shy of that set assuming it grades out and if the Ichiro does it finishes the companion set for me.

I hope the members at the National are having a blast. Happy Collecting
    Love those Sweet Spot cards. I know some people detest Upper Deck, but they've consistently put out some pretty innovative and well designed cards.

What do you mean by Ichiro "finishes the companion set for me"? Are you doing a subset of the full one?

I'm the same as you... I collect from 1935 Chicle to 2013 Topps Archives with my collection being roughly split 50/50 between vintage and modern.

Great pick ups as always.

Snorto~
  • My newest pickup, going into my Dodger Only Vintage Sampler:

image[/URL][/IMG]

image[/URL][/IMG]

<< <i>Love those Sweet Spot cards. I know some people detest Upper Deck, but they've consistently put out some pretty innovative and well designed cards.

What do you mean by Ichiro "finishes the companion set for me"? Are you doing a subset of the full one?

I'm the same as you... I collect from 1935 Chicle to 2013 Topps Archives with my collection being roughly split 50/50 between vintage and modern.

Great pick ups as always.

Snorto~ >>

Was doing both the bat and jersey Sweet Spot sets from that year.

I find that it makes they hobby more interesting to me the more diverse I go ..
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image[/URL][/IMG]

image[/URL][/IMG] >>

Playing with the URLs, I was able to find 2 live addys.

This card is a beauty!

Mike
    Hiya Matt

The T201 is sweet - looks way better than a 5 on my screen - very nice set - good luck!
    Mike
    Still plugging on the ARod set ... but have been getting a few other cards for sets I'm working on .. first few arrived today:

Killer:

The Orr leaves me the Gretzky shy of the set -- I need a couple of upgrades to get to an 8 or better set.

The Drexler completes that small set .. I still need a better Wilt (saddled with a 7).

More updates in the coming days
  • Love the Killer and Orr! Also about to PM you.
    Hiya Matthew

I think the "Killer" is sweet - very nice pickups.

Looking forward to your updates.
    Mike
  • I've pretty much sucked at staying on top of sharing my pick ups to keep this, one of my favorite threads, alive. I'm playing catch up more than a bit here, starting with some additions to my Sweetness collection:

Classic Collectibles Commemorative Ticket signed by Payton and authenticated by JSA
    imageimage

Highland Mint Payton HOF Commemorative Medallion NIP

Payton Commemorative Football (facsimile signature)

Vince Costello Payton HOF Sculpture (x/200)

I'm embarrassed by just how much I love this Payton Oyo figure that was available during HOF induction weekend and limited to x/200! The cheapest item in this post, yet the one I dig the most.

How low is the It's-Payton-I-HAVE-to-have-it bar with me? Well, I am now literally collecting trash, as long as it is signed by him at least (it's PSA/DNA).

I already had a signed index card slabbed by PSA, but I like the silver pen used on this one, plus it has the Celebrity Appearances (Payton's management company) sticker.

The inevitable start to a run of signed Payton cards from his playing days... I'm amazed I resisted starting this project as long as I did given my poor impulse control.
    imageimage

One of the things I really enjoy about collecting Payton is there is more than just football stuff out there. He owned numerous restaurants and clubs, a construction equipment leasing company, and then there is his stint as a race car driver and later race team owner... from which these come:

Speaking of one of his restaurants...

And another piece of Payton restaurantbilia...
    imageimage

A pharmaceutical company had a sponsorship deal with Payton and send these promo pieces out to select doctors, which included an autographed Payton card.

I had one of these already, but the signature faded away to nothing. Good thing they are relatively plentiful and cheap compared to other certified Payton sigs:

Ok, I think I am now up to date with my better Payton pick ups. Even if I don't post the rest of the other stuff, let no one say this wasn't a productive weekend for me! image

Speaking of which... enjoy the rest of yours and keep the pick-ups coming!

Snorto~
    That's one hell of tribute addition to your Payton collection!

How did you get the diet cola can signed? Talk about "oddball" item?

Thanx for sharing - very entertaining.
    Mike
  • JudgeItoJudgeIto Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few cards I got back this week from a recent submission.

• Snorto, love the Payton stuff. My favorites are the signed coaster and the 1984 and 87 Topps. How many Sweetness autos do you think you have?

<< <i>That's one hell of tribute addition to your Payton collection! How did you get the diet cola can signed? Talk about "oddball" item? Thanx for sharing - very entertaining. >>

Thanks, Mike. I bought the can signed, so I have no idea as to the back story. The can was crushed up, which makes me think it was a "Oh my God, that's Walter Payton! Quick find something to have him sign!" sort of thing. image

I have all the usual autographed things... helmet, football, jersey, and the like... but I love the oddball items like this.

<< <i>Snorto, love the Payton stuff. My favorites are the signed coaster and the 1984 and 87 Topps. How many Sweetness autos do you think you have? >>

What?!? Did you not see the Oyo figure? image

All told, I probably have around 50 items signed by Sweetness.

In fact, I neglected to include a couple other recent Payton additions in my last post.

A Walter Payton Bar Mitzvah glass authenticated by Schwartz Sports... really hard to get a good picture of this one unfortunately.

And another Topps Vault piece, the 1984 Topps Glossy Proof.
    Did we finally break it?
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Catching up on posts, I missed the Sweetness additions. Fantastic! image
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    elsnorto, great Payton collection! I love seeing all inclusive player collections.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
    Lil Lady got a new scanner ... still figuring out the settings

A couple of New Alex Cards .. The Auto Almost closes the book on 1994 for me ... and only 13 9s and 12 10s ... The Gold Luminares is #'s 4/50

A couple of More Teddy Ballgame cards for the set I am slowly building in PSA 8:

Just over 20% the way in here

And a Montana for this set that will have to be sent in (home stretch here):

Super pickups Matt.

Was the ARod auto an insert or collector obtained.

Thanx!
    Mike
  • Hi Matt, I didn't know you were collecting the 59 Ted Williams set. Those are a couple of beauties! I'm building a raw set, though I'll probably buy the short printed one in a PSA 3. I just picked up my 35th. Good luck with your high grade set! I'd love to see more pics!
    Hi Mike .. That Alex was an insert. I have a few others that came in as well if I can get the scanner rolling
  • Hi Matt,

Your Arod Master Set is unbelievable. Love looking at your latest pick ups.

I'm new so this may have already been discussed, but how do you store the now > 2k Arod graded items?

Matt
    Looking for post-war hof rc's, raw or graded.
    Successful dealings: grote15, wilkiebaby11, BPorter26 and gregmo32.