Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    For the Peter King MMQB - having a problem posting the link but just go to SI.com and click on MMQB. Should be up for a couple more days.

JE
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭✭
    In light of Tim Brown making the HOF, '89 Score now has the most HOF RCs for a single issue with 10. It had previously been tied with '72 Topps. At-water and Wisniewski are other potential HOF RCs from
    '89 Score. Outside maybe Greenwood, I don't believe anyone else from '72 is going to make it.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Pace and Harrison better make it next year!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭✭
    Andy

1984 Topps FB

Marino
    Elway
    Dickerson
    Grimm
    Green
    Tippitt
    Stephenson
    Grimm
    Long
    Jackson
    Slater

That is 10

Then possibilities:
    Craig
    Covert
    Anderson

And if you consider 1984 topps....just USFL variation
    White
    Young
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Duh! You're right, Jay. Thanks for clarifying.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    First time poster, long time reader of this forum. Like many previous members have expressed, I am concerned about the fidelity of some of registries. I know efforts have been made to attempt to hold intelligent discussions before submitting names to be added. I also know that this has not necessarily been successful. One registry that I participate in is the Future NFL HOFers. Yesterday I received a survey monkey from PSA soliciting my vote whether or not to add Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Steve Smith Sr. I have not seen any forum posts discussing the merits of inclusion of these players and am hoping to spark such a conversation. My hope, like many have previously posted, is that before formally submitting names the conversation begins here. Not only will this preserve the integrity of all registries, but it gives us a chance to do what we enjoy…talk about football and debate the careers of our heroes. I also think it’s best to debate the merits of the players first and then agree on which card to add. That might curtail some from voting based upon those cards already in people's possession. Thank you for indulging me and sharing your wisdom and experience with a relatively new collector. With that I humbly submit my votes on the above nominated players.

Calvin Johnson Yes. 5 time Pro Bowl, 3 times first team. Single Season record for receiving yards. 2 x NFL receiving yards leader. Fastest to 10,000 yards. 75 TDs in 8 years
    Larry Fitzgerald Yes. 8 time Pro Bowl, 1 time first team. 89 TDs, 12,000+ yards (21st all time)
    Steve Smith Sr. No. Very close. 5 time Pro Bowl, 2 times All-Pro. Top 10 all time in all purpose yards, 73 receiving TDs, 13000+ yards (14th all time)
  • Options
    I voted yes on Calvin and no on Fitzgerald and Smith. Even Calvin was a bit premature IMO, but I still said yes because he's on the right track. Fitzgerald has had some great years, but it's also been years since he's been great. I fully understand that the Arizona QB carousel has been a joke ever since Warner retired, but Fitzgerald's numbers have just fallen off a cliff. One or two more bounce back years would certainly put him back in the future HOF'er discussion, but I don't think he's there right now. As for Smith, he's had a very nice, surprising and productive career, but I just don't think he gets in. There are too many receivers with even better numbers who are already on the outside looking in.
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards.

I will sign off as sufferingRaidersFan

Usually a HOF WR is associated with a HOF QB.

Fitz has dropped off the map since he has lost a QB. Sorry but a DOMINANT receiver controls the game and gets open.

Don't thing Megatron isn't 2X teamed most plays. He can take over a game. Smith can also but IMO he's borderline.

A HOFer is dominant and not just a numbers accumulator.

In past years maybe 10 diff fellas would bring great FB knowledge and discussions pursued.

Hopefully a few will chime in....I know Jason and Scott read these posts........But my point was that the players and thus cards were discussed first.

I voted the same as my hero Andy did.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Thanks for posting sufferingbillsfan. As you can see I am a sufferingbrownsfan! At least I'm not suspended or in rehab yet!

I voted no for all 3 as no one posted anything on here, inspite of currently owning the only 2001 Chrome Steve Smith RC PSA 10.

I just had another request to add the 2005 Topps card of Frank Gore to the rushers set. I sent the registry a note saying if you are going to poll it should be the Topps chrome card and got a response to please vote no if I am not in favor of the card. It is a croc when someone adds a card just because they got a 10 on a low value card of a certain player. It is only going to get worse unless we stick together and vote them down.

I'm not against adding player cards that are their "best" non-autograph to any set they deserve, but half the things I am voting on these days just dilute the good players the groups voted in because they deserved it.

My two cents.
  • Options
    I didn't even notice that on the Gore. PSA should have told the requester that it would have to be Topps Chrome card because that's the one used in the All-Time 49ers set. Gotta stay consistent.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I voted no on all 3. If any of them retired today, they arent very likely to make the HOF. Thats always how I always determine my vote. Of course, I think these guys are open to debate, and certainly could have had my mind changed if a good argument was presented that maybe I didnt consider. So if whoever is making these requests reads the posts here, my advice would be to open it up to debate.

Back when I cared more and was heavily involved in the creation and completion of many of these sets, I had a good working relationship with Cosetta. An unofficial agreement that I (we here) would discuss the merits of new additions once per year. We would hold a vote, I would send her the results, and while she would still send out a poll to all registrants, we NEVER ONCE had someone the majority voted for here get disapproved or voted down. I know a few of these random, really unwarranted requests have gotten turned down recently. Which is a great thing. The HOF RC sets are lucky enough to have enough football smart guys collecting that typically good decisions are made. Some of the sets with only a few collectors got mostly FUBAR a few years back which as I've said before was one of the main components of my RC selloff.

Would still look forward to discussing the merits of additions as football history is still a huge hobby for me.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Thanks for weighing in, Jason. Curious to know if you and the others here think Charles Woodson (or anyone else) should be added to the All-Time Defense set. While the offensive sets get a lot of activity, this one does not - which is perfectly fine because it should be hard to get into these sets! But there's only been one new addition to the Defense set in like the past 5+ years (Ed Reed), so maybe it's time to discuss a possible new addition or two. Or maybe not. What do y'all think?
  • Options
    Love Charles.

He has HOF credentials IMO but vs all time. Dunno.

As a measure of this position I wonder who we rank as all time in this position say 1-20

Is That other woodson #1 ??
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for weighing in, Jason. Curious to know if you and the others here think Charles Woodson (or anyone else) should be added to the All-Time Defense set. While the offensive sets get a lot of activity, this one does not - which is perfectly fine because it should be hard to get into these sets! But there's only been one new addition to the Defense set in like the past 5+ years (Ed Reed), so maybe it's time to discuss a possible new addition or two. Or maybe not. What do y'all think? >>

Would be a fun discussion. Im sure there are a few others that also warrant some consideration on defense.
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Kinda sucks retiring my set and now not getting a vote :-(

I would have voted yes on Calvin and no on the other two.
  • Options
    Like Jason and Bill, I voted no on all 3 players, based on the fact there was no discussion on this board. I will continue to vote no on any player that gets sent out if there is no forward discussion on this board.

IMO, I don't think any player should be nominated until that player retires. Than there is no hyperbole about whether another year or 2 or another pro bowl would have made a difference. The numbers would be set and than the discussion would just center around the player, the years they played, and how they stack up against other players in the set.

I also would like some clarity on how the votes get counted. Is it the majority based off all the set members? Or just the votes that get submitted?

Lastly, I think it should be transparent who is asking for the player to be added.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    I sent a request to have Gore added to the All time rushers set....but my card was the Chrome. Sorry if I overstepped my bounds....but now im going to have to check my card to see if the flip is right
  • Options
    I have no problem voting on the Topps Chrome card. I suggest that in my note to the registry.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    I actually did not catch that it was his base Topps rookie and had to contact the registry folks and change my vote to no. I think Gore is a worthy addition to the set, we just need the right card.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

<< <i>I sent a request to have Gore added to the All time rushers set....but my card was the Chrome. Sorry if I overstepped my bounds....but now im going to have to check my card to see if the flip is right >>

While it's nice to discuss possible new additions here first, there's certainly no rule that you have to. So no worries. Heck, there are plenty of people who collect the all-time sets that don't even post here.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Has the registry been updated yet with the new inductees?
  • Options
    Gayle is going to get it updated this week.
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    The set has been updated.
  • Options
    ELITECARDS # 1 FOOTBALL REGISTRY COLLECTOR OF 1971-1986 SELLING EVERYTHING Kevin Roberson 1-916-275-2897 elitecards@hotmail.com

STARTING WITH
    The # 1 All Time Finest 1971 Topps Football PSA Registry set BREAK.
    PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE MESSAGE TO FIND OUT ABOUT UPCOMING 1972-1986 #1 PSA REGISTRY FOOTBALL SET AUCTIONS, COMING SOON !

This is your once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase cards from the All-Time Finest # 1 1971 Topps Football PSA registry set! ( Elitecards 1971 Football ) Most collectors will agree this is the most difficult set of the 70’s and 80’s to build in high grade as was written in a SMR article April 3, 2012 titled 1971 Topps Football Cards: The Most Challenging Set of the 1970’s and 1980’s “
    Please see article with link below
    http://www.psacard.com/Articles/ArticleView/7194/1971-topps-football-cards-most-challenging-set-1970s-1980s

Set PSA Awards:
    1. 2014 PSA Set HOF Inductee…
    2. 2012 PSA – Best Modern Football Set of the Year
    3. 2012 2013 2014 – All Time Finest 1971 Topps Football Set

Set Description:

1. Current and All-Time PSA 1971 Topps Football Set Rank = # 1
    2. Set completion = 100% All 263 cards PSA graded with a grade GPA of 8.93% (all 263 PSA 8 or higher with no qualifiers!)
    3. Set Rating = 8.93%

PSA Set Link to see the entire actual set you are bidding on http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=105159

4. A total of 40,103 1971 Topps football cards have been submitted to PSA for grading. ONLY 48 cards have ever received the coveted PSA 10 GEM MINT GRADE out of the 40k+ graded. This set that you are bidding on has 31 of the 48 included with the set. WOW! 29 POP 1 PSA 10’S in the set, along with one POP 2 PSA 10 (Craig Morton) and one POP 3 PSA 10 (Terry Bradshaw RC HOF’r), for a total of 31 PSA 10’

(Note: All stated PSA POP report figures in this listing are from Feb 15 2015 and subject to change as more cards are submitted to PSA. Please feel free to confirm all data numbers listed below from the PSA registry POP report to ensure I did not make any numeric keying mistakes. )

Key Cards: PSA 10’s Rookie cards & HOF players

PSA 10s 31 Total

TERRY BRADSHAW # 156 RC & HOF POP 3 of 2012 graded
    KEN HOUSTON # 113 RC & HOF POP 1 of 511 graded
    LEN DAWSON # 180 HOF POP 1 of 198 graded
    BOB BROWN # 16 HOF POP 1 of 173 graded
    SONNY JURGENSEN # 50 HOF POP 1 of 270 graded
    DAVE WILCOX # 189 HOF POP 1 of 85 graded
    ALTIE TAYLOR # 62 RC POP 1 of 125 graded
    MERCURY MORRIS # 91 RC POP 1 of 242 graded
    BUBBY SMITH # 53 2nd Yr POP 1 of 227 graded
    JOE O’DONNELL # 4 POP 1 of 104 graded
    HORST MUHLMANN # 49 POP 1 of 118 graded
    MIKE MORGAN # 57 POP 1 of 106 graded
    ED O’BRADOVICH # 78 POP 1 of 152 graded
    GALE GILLINGHAM # 83 POP 1 of 145 graded
    CHARLIE JOHNSON # 85 POP 1 of 207 graded
    DAN ABRAMOWICZ # 90 POP 1 of 114 graded
    WALTER JOHNSON # 104 POP 1 of 141 graded
    MIKE LUCCI # 105 POP 1 of 109 graded
    STEVE PAGE # 142 POP 1 of 90 graded
    MIKE BRAGG # 143 POP 1 of 89 graded
    BILLY TRUAX # 152 POP 1 of 105 graded
    CRAIG MORTON # 171 POP 2 of 120 graded
    ADRIAN YOUNG # 174 POP 1 of 77 graded
    SAM BRUNELLI # 185 POP 1 of 107 graded
    BOB ANDERSON # 212 POP 1 of 87 graded
    BRUCE TAYLOR # 239 POP 1 of 80 graded
    BOB LURTSEMA # 241 POP 1 of 101 graded
    KERMIT ALEXANDER # 243 POP 1 of 114 graded
    MILT MORTIN # 249 POP 1 of 122 graded
    CORNELL GORDON # 256 POP 1 of 84 graded
    MARK MOSELEY # 257 POP 1 of 117 graded

OTHER KEY CARDS

UNITIS # 1 PSA 9 HOF POP 9 of 940 graded
    ALWORTH #10 PSA 9 HOF POP 12 of 353 graded
    BUCHANAN # 13 PSA 9 HOF POP 2 of 112 graded
    MAYNARD # 19 PSA 9 HOF POP 9 of 224 graded
    BUTKUS # 25 PSA 9 HOF POP 7 of 506 graded
    TAYLOR # 26 PSA 9 HOF POP 4 of 186 graded
    CHECKLIST # 27 PSA 9 POP 3 of 148 graded
    BLANDA # 39 PSA 9 HOF POP 6 of 376 graded
    CSONKA # 45 PSA 9 HOF POP 26 of 483 graded
    WOOD # 55 PSA 9 HOF POP 6 of 191 graded
    STENERUD # 61 PSA 9 HOF POP 15 of 185 graded
    PAGE # 71 PSA 9 HOF POP 20 of 376 graded
    MACK # 94 PSA 9 HOF POP 2 of 142 graded
    HANBURGER # 97 PSA 9 HOF POP 11 of 132 graded
    CHECKLIST # 106 PSA 9 POP 8 of 214 graded
    LITTLE # 110 PSA 9 HOF POP 1 of 120 graded
    LANIER # 114 PSA 9 RC & HOF POP 25 of 504 graded
    RENFRO # 118 PSA 9 HOF POP 2 of 135 graded
    TRAKENTON # 120 PSA 9 HOF POP 8 of 508 graded 1 psa 10
    OLSEN # 125 PSA 9 HOF POP 3 of 222 graded
    LILLY # 144 PSA 9 HOF POP 3 of 190 graded
    SAYERS # 150 PSA 9 HOF POP 16 of 493 graded 1 psa 10
    OTTO # 151 PSA 9 HOF POP 3 of 151 graded
    LEBEAU # 154 PSA 9 HOF POP 2 of 99 graded
    KELLY # 157 PSA 9 HOF POP 1 of 137 graded
    KRAUSE # 158 PSA 9 HOF POP 9 of 114 graded
    GRIESE # 160 PSA 9 HOF POP 20 of 310 graded
    BILETNIKOFF # 178 PSA 9 HOF POP 7 of 207 graded
    WEHRLI # 188 PSA 9 RC & HOF POP 8 of 258 graded
    HAYES # 190 PSA 9 HOF POP 8 of 146 graded
    STARR # 200 PSA 9 HOF POP 25 of 403 graded
    BROWN # 207 PSA 9 HOF POP 3 of 124 graded
    DEACON JONES # 209 PSA 9 HOF POP 2 of 118 graded
    SANDERS # 210 PSA 9 RC & HOF POP 6 of 189 graded 1 psa 10
    HUMPHREY # 218 PSA 9 HOF POP 2 of 79 graded
    JOE GREEN # 245 PSA 9 RC & HOF POP 13 of 958 graded
    JOE NAMATH # 250 PSA 8.5 HOF POP 3 of 659 graded 2 psa 9s
    O.J. SIMPSON # 260 PSA 8.5 HOF POP 6 of 352 graded 1 psa 9
    WARFIELD # 261 PSA 8.5 HOF POP 3 of 177 graded

Set breakdown by the numbers …

Total PSA graded cards 263 with No qualifiers

PSA 10 POP 1s = 29
    PSA 10 POP 2 = 1
    PSA 10 POP 3 = 1
    PSA 9 POP 1s = 11
    PSA 9 POP 2s = 26
    PSA 9 POP 3s = 18
    PSA 9 POP 4 + = 115
    PSA 8.5 = 10
    PSA 8 = 52

HOF Player Rookie cards = 6 BRADSHAW GREEN SANDERS LANIER HOUSTON WEHRLI

BIDDING / SHIPPING and PURCHASING details.

1. PLEASE NO BIDDERS WITHOUT 10 + FEEDBACKS !!!
    2. PLEASE CONTACT KEVIN ROBERSON 1-916-275-2897 or email me through EBAY with any questions
    3. PLEASE, SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY TO BID.
    4. NO TRADE OFFERS PLEASE
    5. NO RETURNS ON PSA GRADED CARDS OR PSA GRADED SETS
    6. WINNING BIDDER TO MAKE PAYPAL PAYMENT or DIRECT BANK TO BANK TRANSFER WITHIN 48 HOURS AFTER THE AUCTION HAS ENDED. PACKAGE WILL BE SHIPPED ONCE PAYMENT HAS CLEARED. FED EX TRACKING NUMBER WILL BE SENT TO BUYER.
    7. ALL PACKAGES WILL BE SHIPPED WITH SIGNATURE REQUIRED
    8. SELLER MAY END AUCTION EARLY IF SET IS SOLD PRIVATELY
    9. THIS WILL BE A 7 day AUCTION
    10. KEY CARDS FROM THIS SET WILL BE LISTED SIMULTANEOUSLY IN SEPERATE 10 DAY AUCTIONS, NO INDIVIDUAL CARDS FROM THIS SET WILL BE SOLD UNTIL THIS 7 DAY SET AUCTION HAS ENDED.
    11. WINNING BIDDER WILL PAY LISTED SHIPPING COST FOR FED EX HOME DELEVERY shipping ( $50.00 for this 25 lbs package) . Shipping insurance can be added at the buyer’s expense. Fed Ex charges approx. $1.00 for every $100.00 of insurance.

FINAL NOTE : COMING SOON !!!
    (Not part of/or included is this auction)

THE TIME HAS COME FOR ELITECARDS TO BEGIN EXITING THE FOOTBALL SET COLLECTING ARENA. OVER THE NEXT YEAR I WILL BE SELLING / EBAY AUCTIONING ALL OF MY 1972-1986 FOOTBALL REGISTRY SETS. THE SETS THAT WILL BE SOLD ARE AS FOLLOWS..

1972 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1973 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 3 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1975 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1976 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1977 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1978 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1979 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1980 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1981 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1982 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1983 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1984 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1984 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 2 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1985 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1986 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 1 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1986 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 2 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1986 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 3 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

1986 TOPPS FOOTBALL # 4 ALL TIME FINEST ON PSA REGISTRY.

A THANKS TO EVERYONE IN THE FOOTBALL COLLECTING FAMILY. OVER THE PAST 10 YEARS I HAVE DEALT WITH MOST OF YOU AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. EVERYONE HAS TRULY BEEN A PLEASE TO WORK WITH. I WILL CONTINUEE COLLECTING HIGH GRADE VINTAGE BASKETBALL CARDS.

PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS.
    THANK YOU AGAIN !

BEST REGARDS
    KEVIN ROBERSON
    ELITECARDS aka ELITECARDS.1

-------------------------
    Always buying 1986 Topps Football PSA 10's and BGS 9.5 even commons! Top dollars paid!!
  • Options
    Elitecards- PM Sent
  • Options
    Floyd Little nominated for the All-Time Rusher's set? Really? Who is making these requests? Hopefully we collectively have the good sense to see that Little doesn't get added to the set. Roger Craig watered it down enough.
  • Options
    As long as people nominate players and don't first bring it to discussion on this board, my standing vote will be no.
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Have you guys seen the prices for the 57 Topps Starr rookie lately, wow, $7, $8 grand for a PSA 8. Where's that coming from??

Doc
  • Options
    2nd that Frank
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    With Patrick Willis shockingly retiring after just 8 seasons, let the debate begin, HOF'er or not? Pros: In 8 seasons, Willis dominated to the tune of 7 Pro Bowls and 5 First-Team All Pro nods. That's more AP nods than plenty of linebackers already in Canton. The cons: Well, just one fairly obvious one, that he only played 8 years. I'm much more impressed by dominance than longevity, and that's something Willis certainly exhibited. But it's a shame he's not playing longer. I guess he'd still get my vote. Maybe just not first ballot. Curious to know what others here think.
  • Options
    RC Set has been retired freeing up the cert numbers.
    Collecting Vintage Football - Rc's

1959 Topps Football need help finishing
  • Options

<< <i>With Patrick Willis shockingly retiring after just 8 seasons, let the debate begin, HOF'er or not? Pros: In 8 seasons, Willis dominated to the tune of 7 Pro Bowls and 5 First-Team All Pro nods. That's more AP nods than plenty of linebackers already in Canton. The cons: Well, just one fairly obvious one, that he only played 8 years. I'm much more impressed by dominance than longevity, and that's something Willis certainly exhibited. But it's a shame he's not playing longer. I guess he'd still get my vote. Maybe just not first ballot. Curious to know what others here think. >>

Willis played in 112 games in his career. Here's a list of modern HOFers with 112 or less...

Gale Sayers
    Paul Hornung
    Kellen Winslow

All offensive players....Is it possible Willis could get in with his resume? Sure...But at this point, I'd put his odds less than 50%. 8 years for a defensive player in this day and age simply doesnt provide the longevity...HOF is a combination of dominance AND longevity in 95% of the time...Is Willis in that top 5% that sets him apart? Without a Super Bowl ring? If he does get in, he's going to have a good long wait....Might even be more of a Senior Candidate guy wayyyy down the road.

He puts in even 3 more average seasons to go along with his dominant ones, and hes a lock...Sad, great player during his short time.
  • Options
    page turn
  • Options
    I agree with jasp. Love the way Willis played the game (even though he was a Niner lol), but he's borderline. If he won a Super Bowl ring during that time, it might skew voting his way, but I think he's on the outside looking in.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>With Patrick Willis shockingly retiring after just 8 seasons, let the debate begin, HOF'er or not? Pros: In 8 seasons, Willis dominated to the tune of 7 Pro Bowls and 5 First-Team All Pro nods. That's more AP nods than plenty of linebackers already in Canton. The cons: Well, just one fairly obvious one, that he only played 8 years. I'm much more impressed by dominance than longevity, and that's something Willis certainly exhibited. But it's a shame he's not playing longer. I guess he'd still get my vote. Maybe just not first ballot. Curious to know what others here think. >>

Willis played in 112 games in his career. Here's a list of modern HOFers with 112 or less...

Gale Sayers
    Paul Hornung
    Kellen Winslow

All offensive players....Is it possible Willis could get in with his resume? Sure...But at this point, I'd put his odds less than 50%. 8 years for a defensive player in this day and age simply doesnt provide the longevity...HOF is a combination of dominance AND longevity in 95% of the time...Is Willis in that top 5% that sets him apart? Without a Super Bowl ring? If he does get in, he's going to have a good long wait....Might even be more of a Senior Candidate guy wayyyy down the road.

He puts in even 3 more average seasons to go along with his dominant ones, and hes a lock...Sad, great player during his short time. >>

Agree
  • Options

<< <i>Within the next 1-2 weeks my entire collection of NFL HOF Rookie cards will be auctioned off on E-bay >>

Hey Mark, great cards - sorry to see that set getting broken up - I can't send pms, but I can reply if I get them - I'd like to hear more about your plan for selling the cards.... All auctions or some BIN? Spaced out?
  • Options
    With the announcement of very early retirements of 4 guys in their peak 20's recently....is this the new norm??

Super $ in a few short years and set for life................

Willis never won a DPOY and played with Ray Lewis, Urlacher (similar stats 8PB 4 1stAP) who did. So we can say he wasn't the best of his time.

No team championships.

It won't be first ballot but I agree with Andy his play was top level and continuous PB 7 of his 8 years.

IMO yes

Does he get fired from Madden ???????

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Posted by Clark Judge on March 12, 2015 at 12:01 am
    Patrick Willis a “slam-dunk” Hall of Famer? Not so fast, everyone
    Denver Broncos Historical Archives

(Photos courtesy of the San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos)

By Clark Judge

Talk of Fame Network

I read an article that called Patrick Willis – now the former linebacker of the San Francisco 49ers – a “sure-fire Hall of Famer,” with the author telling us he’s a cinch to make it to Canton because … well, because he just is.

OK, fine. But this just in: He’s not.

He’s not a cinch to be anything except a subject in stories that chronicle the decline and fall of the San Francisco 49ers. That doesn’t mean Patrick Willis might not end up in Canton some day … because he might. But it does mean he doesn’t get in “easily,” which I also read, because anyone not named Unitas, Montana, Lott or Rice doesn’t make into the Pro Football Hall of Fame easily.

Which is exactly as it should be.

Look, Patrick Willis was a terrific player on a terrific defense and was named to multiple Pro Bowl and All-Pro teams. And that’s great. But so was Randy Gradishar. In fact, he was more than that. And look where it got him.

Not in the Hall of Fame, that’s where.

Like Willis, the former Denver star was a first-team All-Pro five times. Like Willis, he was a two-time team MVP. But he was also the league’s 1978 Defensive Player of the Year. Willis was not. He was the league’s 2007 Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Randy Gradishar was a sure tackler, who could rush the quarterback, who could cover in space and who, when he retired, held the league record for most career tackles. In short, he was a complete linebacker. There was almost nothing Randy Gradishar couldn’t do … except make it to Canton.

Now, all of a sudden, Patrick Willis retires, and we’re asking if he’s a first-ballot Hall of Famer? Slow down, people. There are only 12 middle linebackers in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and two of them – Nick Buoniconti and Les Richter – had to wait 25 years as seniors. Nevertheless, and let me get this straight: With Willis’ retirement, there’s a push to put him, Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher in as first-ballot choices in the space of three years?

I don’t think so, and don’t take it from me. Take it from Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News and Talk of Fame Network. He’s been on the Hall’s board of selectors for over two decades, is on the Hall’s senior and contributor committee and knows the difficulty of getting anyone – especially a middle or inside linebacker – to Canton.

“Tommy Nobis isn’t in,” Gosselin said, “and he was an all-decade selection in the 1960s. Randy Gradishar isn’t in, and he was the 1978 Defensive Player of the Year and a seven-time Pro Bowler. Lee Roy Jordan isn’t in. He had 48 career takeaways, went to five Pro Bowls and played on two Super Bowl champions. Mike Curtis isn’t in. He went to four Pro Bowls and wears a Super Bowl ring.

“Nobis and Curtis have never been in the room as finalists to be discussed, and Gradishar has only been discussed twice. Patrick Willis may be the latest, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s the greatest. Let’s slow down, and let the process play out.”

Precisely.

Nevertheless, there are voters I’ve spoken with who have him moving toward the head of the class, with one telling me “I believe that for quite some time he was the best defender in the NFL” before he went on to label him “a great player.” OK, but what was Randy Gradishar? I know what he is now: Someone on the outside of the Hall looking in.

Patrick Willis has Hall-of-Fame credentials. What he doesn’t have is longevity. But he played eight years, and that’s more than most NFL players. Furthermore, he excelled in those eight years, reaching the Pro Bowl seven times and the All-Pro team six. But history tells us that doesn’t necessarily make you a Hall-of-Fame cinch … and not because of what the Hall’s selectors tell us.

But because of what Randy Gradishar does.

“Willis certainly is worthy of discussion,” said Ira Miller, another longtime selector, “but slam-dunk? Hardly. In fact, he’s barely more than a borderline candidate (because of) a relatively short career.

“How many NFL championships did his team win? For comparison’s sake, does the name Terrell Davis ring a bell? Also a short career … and Davis was a league MVP, a Super Bowl MVP, a 2,000-yard rusher and one of the great post-season rushers of all time. Yet he is not in the Hall of Fame. Patrick, get in line.”
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    How in the world is Chuck Howley omitted from that list LB'ers not in the HOF. Unless I skimmed through the article too quickly.lol

title.
  • Options

<< <i>How in the world is Chuck Howley omitted from that list LB'ers not in the HOF. Unless I skimmed through the article too quickly.lol >>

+1
  • Options

<< <i>How in the world is Chuck Howley omitted from that list LB'ers not in the HOF. Unless I skimmed through the article too quickly.lol >>

I believe because they were discussing the merits of MLB/ILBs(Nobis, Gradishar, Curtis) like Willis who are not in...Howley played OLB...

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

I believe because they were discussing the merits of MLB/ILBs(Nobis, Gradishar, Curtis) like Willis who are not in...Howley played OLB...

Jason >>

True about Howley, but I guess we are just questioning why he doesn't get any "love" in general.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

True about Howley, but I guess we are just questioning why he doesn't get any "love" in general. >>

LB is the deepest position in the Senior candidate pool. That being said, the Senior Committee has at least begun the process of putting some guys in at thw position recently..Dve Robinson, Chris Hanburger, Les Richter in recent years...

Deserving guys still out there along with Howley?
    Tommy Nobis
    Mike Curtis
    Randy Gradishar
    Maxie Baughan
    LeeRoy Jordan

Its just a packed house...Why hasn't Howley been selected yet? Could ask the same question of any of the guys listed above..There are only so many slots, and with such as large group of deserving guys, votes end up being split..Similar to what has happened with the modern WR's the past few years...Robinson, Hanburger and Richter were just as deserving as Howley, and it could be argued they were even more deserving depending on the criteria...

Howley will likely get in at some point, but with 5 LB candidates, all deserving, it could be next year, it could be 2035...

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

True about Howley, but I guess we are just questioning why he doesn't get any "love" in general. >>

My sentiment as well. He was a game changer at the OLB position and might have been the best player at his position during the 1960's (though an argument for Bell could be made). Had he returned his INT for TD against the Dolphins in Super Bowl IV he might have been a two time Super Bowl MVP. Super Bowl wins always seem to hold some weight with the voters and I have always wondered why Howley has never even been a finalist for the HOF.

title.
  • Options
    Julius Peppers added to the all-time NFL defense list....just greatimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

LB is the deepest position in the Senior candidate pool. That being said, the Senior Committee has at least begun the process of putting some guys in at thw position recently..Dve Robinson, Chris Hanburger, Les Richter in recent years...

Deserving guys still out there along with Howley?
    Tommy Nobis
    Mike Curtis
    Randy Gradishar
    Maxie Baughan
    LeeRoy Jordan

Its just a packed house...Why hasn't Howley been selected yet? Could ask the same question of any of the guys listed above..There are only so many slots, and with such as large group of deserving guys, votes end up being split..Similar to what has happened with the modern WR's the past few years...Robinson, Hanburger and Richter were just as deserving as Howley, and it could be argued they were even more deserving depending on the criteria...

Howley will likely get in at some point, but with 5 LB candidates, all deserving, it could be next year, it could be 2035... >>

Agree.