Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Agree 100%. At this point he has fewer sacks and fewer 1st Team All-Pro selections than Pat Swilling. He needs a bigger resume than he currently has to get over the hump.
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Yeah, but that defense's best year was when they beat the Giants and Suggs wasn't on the team yet.
  • My gut feeling...... 20.... 30 years from now, Romo will be in the conversation titled "Who is the BEST Quarterback NOT in the Hall of Fame"

WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Prognosticating.

I realize is is premature to discuss the merits of players like Luck, Julio Jones, AJ Green, TY Hilton, JJ Watt, and the like for addition to the Future HOF registry, but I'm curious as to everyone's opinion as to which cards would likely be added from this generation of players...Topps Chrome vs. SP Authentic.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    For some that are already part of PSA registry sets like Watt....yo can go by what is currently there.

Example Watt has a Topps chrome for his DPOY card.

Looks like TC for the 2010's at least
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Problem with SP Authentic is the numbering and autographs. The sets have stayed away from autographs all together and the numbering needs to be greater than 1000.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BillsGridironGreats
    Problem with SP Authentic is the numbering and autographs. The sets have stayed away from autographs all together and the numbering needs to be greater than 1000.

not to split hairs but I thought is was greater than 999 as many sets number from 999.

• That was what I meant - 999.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    The 25 modern semifinalists for the 2016 HOF were announced yesterday. No real surprises. At-water and Mecklenburg are both 5-time semifinalists now. Makes me think at least one of them will get in one day (doubt it'll be soon though). I'm sure JP will be glad to see Boselli's name on that list. He was a helluva player when he was healthy. I don't understand Mike Kenn as a semifinalist...again...but there seems to be enough people in the know who support his candidacy. Looking forward to the next cut down.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sam Mills is a first time semi-finalist!!! Finally.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • I'm pro Ty Law. And there was so much hype about warner's candidacy last year that I thought he was already in.
    Originally posted by: shagrotn77
    The 25 modern semifinalists for the 2016 HOF were announced yesterday. No real surprises. At-water and Mecklenburg are both 5-time semifinalists now. Makes me think at least one of them will get in one day (doubt it'll be soon though). I'm sure JP will be glad to see Boselli's name on that list. He was a helluva player when he was healthy. I don't understand Mike Kenn as a semifinalist...again...but there seems to be enough people in the know who support his candidacy. Looking forward to the next cut down.

Boselli finally got a nice package presented to the voters that accurately reflected his position as a dominant player...Much like Terrell Davis, his career games played is going to be tough to overcome...If/When Davis finally gets in hopefully Boselli will have been in the room enough to follow his lead.

Also very happy to see Sam Mills in there..Personally think he is the best pure LB in the modern pool and while he is a longshot to make it in, would love to see him get pushed..

Darren Woodson the lone semifinalist from last year to get left off...Rightly so considering Lynch and At-water, and IMO LeRoy Butler should go in at S before Woodson..

That being said, my way too early predictions for Class of 2016:

Brett Favre- Only 100% lock
    Marvin Harrison- 90%..Has made the cut down to 10 his first two chances
    Kevin Greene- 80%...Most support of any Defensive player, cut to 10 last 2 chances, no Strahan or Haley in the way this year
    Orlando Pace-60%...Cut to 10 last year in his first year...Does have a ton of support as the best lineman of the group
    Kurt Warner- 50%..Made the cut to 10 last year in his first year...Was somewhat surprised that he didnt go in last year...However, not sure they will put two QBs in, and Favre is a lock.

Others high on the list:
    Tony Dungy..Only other candidate who has made a cutdown to 10 in recent years not listed above or already elected...Has a ton of support
    Terrell Owens..Any chance the voters put him in before Harrison? I dont think so..Who WRs in same class? doubtful...Mystery on how far he makes it this year...Cut to final 10 very possible
    Alan Faneca...Cant see him going in with or before Orlando Pace...Cut to final 10 very possible
    John Lynch...2nd best Defensive candidate...Lynch and Dungy together? Possible scenario...If the voters cant agree on a specific offensive guy/position, could push for a 2nd defensive player

Lonshots who could surprise:
    Terrell Davis..One of these days he gets the big push..Tomlinson enters the fray next year
    Ty Law...Maybe if there is another Patriot Super Bowl run, could jump in front of Lynch as a 2nd defender behind Greene

Dont see anyone else with much of a shot this time around...With Favre likely to be the only 1st ballot guy this year and Tomlinson likely the only first ballot guy next year, this is where the voters can play catchup with some guys...2018 and 2019 look pretty stacked with multiple first ballot candidates.
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Hard to believe these guys aren't in the modern rookies future HOF set: Boselli, Kenn, Law,Mills, Jacoby, Mecklenburg. I'm assuming the first Topps cards for Kenn, Jacoby, Mills, Mecklenburg will be the RCs for the registry. But what about Law and Boselli? Thanks.
    Mills does have a 1985 USFL card and a 1988 Topps. Which one?????
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    Mills would be '85 USFL, just like Young, White and Kelly are all '84 USFL.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • I would agree with Topps for all of the above mentioned, including the 1985 USFL for Mills. If put up to a vote, I'd support the 1995 SP for Boselli and Law, which would be in line with Terrell Davis' card (Full disclosure, I own both).

Other considerations: Jason Peters was just named to his 8th Pro Bowl. Wisniewski also has 8th and an All Decade (Second) Team vote.
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sufferingbillsfan
    I would agree with Topps for all of the above mentioned, including the 1985 USFL for Mills. If put up to a vote, I'd support the 1995 SP for Boselli and Law, which would be in line with Terrell Davis' card (Full disclosure, I own both).

Other considerations: Jason Peters was just named to his 8th Pro Bowl. Wisniewski also has 8th and an All Decade (Second) Team vote.

Agreed.

Man I hope Mills gets in. Maybe a Carolina super bowl run would push him over the top?
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
    That's what I'm thinking, so I bought 2 Ty Laws and an 85 USFL Mills from 4 Sharp corners. That essentially guarantees they won't get in!
    I hate to break it to you guys, but Mills has zero shot at getting in this year. This is only his first time as a semifinalist. Given how long it's taken him to get to this point, it'll be at least a few years before he gets in...if he gets in. Look at players like TD (10), Greene (10), Craig (8), Jacoby (6) and Mecklenburg (5) and how many times they've been semifinalists without getting the nod.
  • Agreed, very slim chance of Mills getting in this year. He may have a long wait given the depth of LBs eligible and soon to be eligible. It's nice to finally see him getting the recognition that he deserves. My predictions for this year.

Favre
    Stanfel
    Stabler
    Pace
    Greene
    Harrison
    Coryell
    I was surprised when I saw Mills on the list. Good LB but not a HOFer in my opinion. Nevertheless, I spent $6 on a 9 with 4 Sharp Corners to hedge my bet. The modern HOF set is a joke. Boselli, Jacoby, Kenn, Mills, Law, Mecklenberg aren't even on it, while there are guys on it who aren't getting in unless they buy a ticket...
  • Curious to know who you think shouldn't be on the Future HOF Registry. Gary Anderson, Jimmy Smith, Jason Elam stand out to me. A few others who may have long waits IMO Kevin Williams, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Hines Ward.
    Here are your 2016 modern-era finalists:

Morten Andersen, Kicker – 1982-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-2000, 2006-07 Atlanta Falcons, 2001 New York Giants, 2002-03 Kansas City Chiefs, 2004 Minnesota Vikings

Steve A*****er, Safety – 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets

Don Coryell, Coach – 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers

Terrell Davis, Running Back – 1995-2001 Denver Broncos

Tony Dungy, Coach – 1996-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2002-08 Indianapolis Colts

Alan Faneca, Guard – 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals

Brett Favre, Quarterback – 1991 Atlanta Falcons, 1992-2007 Green Bay Packers, 2008 New York Jets, 2009-2010 Minnesota Vikings

Kevin Greene, Linebacker/Defensive End – 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95

Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers
    Marvin Harrison, Wide Receiver – 1996-2008 Indianapolis Colts

Joe Jacoby, Tackle – 1981-1993 Washington Redskins

Edgerrin James, Running Back – 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks

John Lynch, Free Safety – 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos

Terrell Owens, Wide Receiver – 1996-2003 San Francisco 49ers, 2004-05 Philadelphia Eagles, 2006-08 Dallas Cowboys, 2009 Buffalo Bills, 2010 Cincinnati Bengals

Orlando Pace, Tackle – 1997-2008 St. Louis Rams, 2009 Chicago Bears

Kurt Warner, Quarterback – 1998-2003 St. Louis Rams, 2004 New York Giants, 2005-09 Arizona Cardinals

• Gary Anderson, Jimmy Smith, Jason Elam

Boselli, Jacoby, Kenn, Mills, Law, Mecklenberg

Kevin Williams, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Hines Ward.

These IMHO are marginal HOF's that will have issues getting into the HOF if the rules don't change. The receiver position is flood with guys with top ten numbers that benefited from rules changes. Kickers should have to exceptional to be considered and there are none currently retired that qualify as this. All would be rated behind Adam Ven.... in IMHO.

We added these at the time because other there career numbers and probowls.

It is much easier to get people added than people removed.

Bill
    The modern HOF set is a joke. Boselli, Jacoby, Kenn, Mills, Law, Mecklenberg aren't even on it, while there are guys on it who aren't getting in unless they buy a ticket...

I agree that there are players in the Future HOF RCs set who will likely never get in. Gary Anderson, Leroy Butler, Jason Elam, Ruben Brown and Kevin Williams are good examples. They were decent candidates for the HOF when the set was put together, but a lot can change over the course of a few years. As for the players you mentioned above, none of them made to cut to the finalists. I wouldn't add any of them until they at least advance to that point.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Really happy to see Jacoby as a finalist.
    My predictions for this years finalists....

Morten Andersen, Kicker – Class of 2020

Steve A*****er, Safety – Class of 2021

Don Coryell, Coach – Class of 2018

Terrell Davis, Running Back – Class of 2019

Tony Dungy, Coach – Class of 2017

Alan Faneca, Guard – Class of 2017

Brett Favre, Quarterback – Class of 2016

Kevin Greene, Linebacker/Defensive End – Class of 2016

Marvin Harrison, Wide Receiver – Class of 2016

Joe Jacoby, Tackle – Will not be elected as a Modern Candidate. Class of 2018 last year of eligibility

Edgerrin James, Running Back – Class of 2020

John Lynch, Free Safety – Class of 2017

Terrell Owens, Wide Receiver – Class of 2017

Orlando Pace, Tackle – Class of 2016

Kurt Warner, Quarterback – Class of 2016
    My opinion FWIW, Gary Anderson, Jimmy Smith and Jason Elam likely are never getting in. Same could have been said of Steve At-water 5 years ago..As he was HOF eligible for 7 years in a row and never once made the top 25 semifinalists...Now 5 years later, hes a 5 time semifinalist and now a 1st time Finalist...If you look over the history of the Pro Football HOF, the percentage of players who have been a finalist at least once, who have never gotten in either as a modern or senior candidate, is VERY VERY small. The others you list here have all been semifinalists, Jacoby now becoming a finalist. Hines Ward and Kevin Williams not yet eligible of course... Its a guessing game...We can all make educated guesses but in the end the best way to take care of the Future HOFer set is to be SURE that any new players are confidently HOF caliber before voting them onto the set. This years All-Pro team has been released. Joe Thomas was selected as a 1st Team All-Pro for the 6th time, solidifying his future HOF status...

Adrian Peterson was selected for the 4th time as a 1st Team RB, also solidifying his status...THIS is when these players/cards should be added...But you'll notice they were added YEARS ago..Along with guys like Patrick Willis (who retired with a VERY low games played) and Calvin Johnson, who is talking about retiring and will have very small chances with current career accolades.

This is why I no longer collect the set. We ended up getting way too many collectors who were more concerned about how valuable the cards they own are vs. deciding who truly belongs on the set. We used to run polls here on the message board with the small core group of 10-20 of us who put the initial set request together to ensure we were discussing who we should and shouldn't add after each season. Now its just a free-for-all and I wish you guys who DO CARE about who is on it and who isn't are able to get the proper discussions here and get the correct votes and protect the set moving forward.
    Shouldn't anyone that makes it as a semi-finalist be added to the set. Making the top 25 should count for something.
  • The cut to 15 seems to be a better predictor of who gets in as one might expect. This site has a pretty interesting article that illustrates that point.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/predicting-2016-pro-football-hall-fame-class
    I don't disagree as a top 25 finish by no means guarantees anything, but any of this year's top 25 are better than some of these guys on the list. After all, its about potential.
    We used to have unwritten rules for adding a player to the Future HOF set, but that kinda fell by the wayside. One was that the player had to have played for a least x number of years (10 I think?) before becoming eligible. I think that's a good one. We also used to hold a vote here before requesting an addition to the set. That also hasn't happened in a while and is also a good practice. In order to prevent more players from being added who don't stand much of a chance of getting in, I think we should implement a rule that said player has to have been named a semifinalist (or finalist perhaps) x number of times before becoming eligible for the set. This would really only come into play for guys like Kenn, Mecklenburg, etc. who took a while to become multiple-year semifinalists after they retired. The HOF locks would be added after they've been in the league for 10 years. I just don't want to go watering down the set by adding to the set willy nilly. And putting players in who've only been semifinalists once or twice and never finalists would be doing just that. Thoughts???
    Andy and my fellow collectors

I have never put in a player request in any sport I collect. So it wasn't me who nominated Willy Nilly.

I take the similar conservative approach.

I might like to see only HOF'ers able to be nominated for all time lists.

SB50 is going to be one great game. Nothing is stopping Cam and the Panthers
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    The Hall of Fame Class 2016

Brett Favre
    Tony Dungy
    Kevin Greene
    Marvin Harrison
    Orlando Pace

Kenny Stabler
    Dick Stanfel

Eddie DeBartelo
    So does a Dungy player card get added to the HOF set?
    So does a Dungy player card get added to the HOF set?

No. The HOF Rookies set is for HOF'ers who were inducted because of their contributions as players.

As a side note, I nailed all of the new inductees aside from DeBartolo. I think I might play the lottery tomorrow.
    I had them all except Dungy. Thought Warner was close enough last year for the easy in. Favre being a lock and Dungy's QB in the Super Bowl worked against him. Makes Warner a lock for 2017 though.
    OK

The argument for some players....T Davis and a few others is lack of game time.

Now that J J Watt is DPOY again...how close is he to the HOF?
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    Without 2 Super Bowl Rings and a Super Bowl MVP, IMO Watt still needs 100 games under his belt. He's at 80 now, so probably two more strong seasons.
  • Hey Guys. Have been off the boards for awhile and just re-logged in. Going to try to catch up to some of the threads, but it's good to see some old time familiar names (jasp, shagroth, jay0791) still posting and sharing the wisdom and opinions.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Watt has accomplished what takes some HOF'ers a career. 5 years in the league 4 time All Pro, 4 time Pro Bowler, 3 time defensive player of the year, 74.5 sacks, INT for TD, FR for a TD, 1 Safety, and 3 receiving TD's. Off the field he seems to have a real positive image and is somewhat a house hold name due to his endorsements (not that stuff matters but it doesn't hurt lol).

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
    Hey Guys. Have been off the boards for awhile and just re-logged in. Going to try to catch up to some of the threads, but it's good to see some old time familiar names (jasp, shagroth, jay0791) still posting and sharing the wisdom and opinions.

Welcome back, Frank!
    Congrats to the Broncos!!!!!!

Hopefully Peyton will pull an Elway and retire on top.

I bettcha the Coors beer people were thrilled when Payton said, "he wanted to drink a lot of Budweiser."

The Marilyn Monroe commercial was awesome. I had previously seen a number of the SB commercials as my son had the already on his I-pod.

My prediction was " Nothing is stopping Cam and the Panthers." Obviously I'm no Nostradamus LOL.

Glad to see a defensive player win the SB MVP. Miller was a destructive force and deserved it.

WELCOME back Frank !!!!!!!!!!!!!! To the guys who do not know Frank. Check out his sets.

He has some tremendous cards.

Speaking on Watt.......did anyone see his DPOY acceptance speech? He referred back to the

scouts that overlooked him and then promptly said, "screw you." Not really all that necessary

JJ. Reminds me of M Jordan's HOF speech.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Thanks for the "shout out" guys. Still working on my HOF autograph set, but have started to look at some of the insert sets from the 90's to now. There are some really interesting sets aside from the usual Pro Bowl or All-Pro sets. The fact that the sets are small (usually under 50 cards) make then achievable. The downside is , they were inserts. So not as many were printed as the base card.

Welcome back Frank, one of the Original Gangsters of this thread and this set! lol

The question I have is an old discussion we had quite a few times...Top 10 QBs All-Time.. If Peyton retires tomorrow, where does he rank?

Going into this season, I had it:

1- Unitas
    2- Montana
    3- Brady
    4- Manning

Adding this 2nd Super Bowl to Peyton's massive set of regular season accomplishments and what we've all watched on the field the past 18 years, I have to put Peyton and 3 and Brady at 4 now...If Brady can get a 5th ring, or surpass some of Peyton's regular season accomplishments, he could possible re-take that 3rd spot on my list at some point.

But for now, today:

1- Unitas
    2- Montana
    3- Manning
    4- Brady
    Jason u r missing 6 QB's. You said top 10.

IMO you can put 3 and 4 either way. I'll take Brady for #3.

Peyton had a better start of a career but Brady is still at his peak.

1 Unitas
    2 Montana
    3 Brady
    4 P Manning
    5 O Graham
    6 Roger Staubach
    7 Brett Favre
    8 Aaron Rodgers
    9 Brees
    10 S Baugh

Hon mention
    Elway
    Marino
    Tarkenton

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Jay, in my opinion you have both Packers too high and Elway should definitely be in the top 10
    Sorry Jay, my bad...Here's my 10, with no honorable mentions...lol

1-Johnny Unitas
    2-Joe Montana
    3- Peyton Manning
    4- Tom Brady
    5- Otto Graham
    6- Dan Marino
    7- John Elway
    8- Sammy Baugh
    9- Brett Favre
    10-Roger Staubach
    Dan

I have never said I was an expert. Many on these boards know more than me.

Elway was my mom's fav player (RIP) and I just loved him myself. From a sentimental

list he's my #1 for sure.

The problem with a list like this across eras is I didn't see Graham, Baugh or most of Unitas' career.

So the numbers guys in the Pass friendly era are fresh in my mind with good numbers.

Looking at Jason's list I would have no problem moving Baugh up and Rodgers down.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • I agree with Jason's list except I would move Elway ahead of Marino. To me the Super Bowls get additional weighting in my mind.
    I wanted to see Dan Fouts, Warren Moon or Jim Kelly on this list, but couldn't justify taking anyone out of the top 10 for them.