Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I will let Rick Gosselin answer the question about Howley...He is a HOF Voter and member of the Senior committee...

Dave Robinson of the '60s Packers just made it to the HOF as a Senior Candidate. What are the chances for Chuck Howley, Robinson's contemporary, ever making it?

Howley had 6 Pro Bowls to Robbie's 3, 5 All-Pro selections to Robbie's 1, and was a Super Bowl MVP. Howley is in the queue in the discussion. So are Mike Curtis, Tommy Nobis, Randy Gradishar, Lee Roy Jordan and Robert Brazile. Good players, great players, several all-decade players -- many of whom have never in the room to be discussed. Linebacker is one of the most competitive spots currently in the senior pool. Robinson was an all-decade player for the 1960s. Howley was not. I'm on the senior committee and we only get to pick two candidates each year. It's tough every year knowing there about 60-70 worthy candidates will have to wait another year. I thought the Culp/Robinson tandem was the strongest tandem the senior committee has presented in more than a decade. Neither had ever been in the room before. Both are now headed to Canton.

Rick can you explain how there is not any discussion of Chuck Howley for the HOF? His numbers and career were outstanding, much better than David Robinson. No disrespect to him but Chuck is more than deserving.

The Green Bay folks will tell you Dave Robinson was more deserving. The Hall of Fame selection committee picks the all-decade team – and this committee selected Robinson to the 1960s all-decade team, not Howley. That serves as a milepost in the selection process. Don't get me wrong -- Howley is deserving and remains in the seniors queue for discussion. But it takes time for some players. CB Jack Butler was selected to the league's 50th anniversary team -- and it took him 50 years after his retirement to get into the room to be discussed for the first time. Like I said earlier, if you belong in the Hall of Fame, I believe you will eventually get there. It just takes a bit longer for some players.
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>Julius Peppers added to the all-time NFL defense list....just greatimage >>

Yikes...I also received a poll to add Darrelle Revis to the Future HOF set...Did the Patrick Willis retirement teach us nothing? lol

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>Julius Peppers added to the all-time NFL defense list....just greatimage >>

I searched ebay for HOF RCs for the first time in a year the other day. Saw a few cards Kevin at Elite is selling, PWCC, etc. bid on the Fouts 10, and a few others. I will eventually jump back into collecting, I still have a crapload of cards, but stuff like Julius Peppers on the ALL TIME defense list makes me laugh.
    Is Peppers good? Heck ya. Is he "All Time" good, as in name immediately recognize able across generations of players? No. That is how I personally gauge "All Time".

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad 2 c Joe put his 2 cents in. We miss him and hope he does jump back in.

As far as peppers. I voted no.

As far as Revis........If a player is not 1st brought to these boards for discussion...my automatic NO.

Good player...........Ask me again in 5 years.......until then NO NO NO NO !!!!
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    I voted no on Peppers as well. This is getting out of hand. Whoever is making these requests needs to A-discuss them here first and B-exercise some patience. In the last month we've had Steve Smith and Larry Fitzgerald added to the WRs set, Roger Craig (yuck) added to the RBs set, Julius Peppers added to the Defense set and Aaron Rodgers added to the QBs set. Honestly the only one I really agree with is Rodgers. Frank Gore and Floyd Little are also up for the RBs set now. I will vomit if Little makes it in.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    page turn
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Lost one of the best ...
    RIP
  • Options
    Agree on that point.

link didn't include this:

Gifford hit
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    jay- I'm with you. If it's not discussed here, my default vote is no.

I'm beginning to think that players being brought up for vote are by either a: someone who has a low pop hi grade card and wants it in the set or b: some newbie who just nominates a player he "hears about" and doesn't know this thread exists.

Either way, I would like to know who is nominating these players and how many people participate in the vote.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me why the 1948 Bowman Bulldog Turner was chosen over the 1948 Leaf card? It seems that the Leaf is the superior card and should at least be an either/or, as much as I dislike those situations.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    The '48 Bowman card was chosen for Turner because it's a short print.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    The most valuable base rookie of each player was chosen.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I guess we won't need to worry about Darren Sharper being added to any lists.
  • Options

<< <i>I guess we won't need to worry about Darren Sharper being added to any lists. >>

Never say never...All it takes is one rabid Packers fan to make the request....
  • Options
    If Andy agrees to vomit I'll nominate Sharper
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Did someone say Rapid Packer Fan? imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the info . Somehow I didn't realize that there were short prints in that set . I am just a sucker for Leaf cards too .
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will let Rick Gosselin answer the question about Howley...He is a HOF Voter and member of the Senior committee...

Dave Robinson of the '60s Packers just made it to the HOF as a Senior Candidate. What are the chances for Chuck Howley, Robinson's contemporary, ever making it?

Howley had 6 Pro Bowls to Robbie's 3, 5 All-Pro selections to Robbie's 1, and was a Super Bowl MVP. Howley is in the queue in the discussion. So are Mike Curtis, Tommy Nobis, Randy Gradishar, Lee Roy Jordan and Robert Brazile. Good players, great players, several all-decade players -- many of whom have never in the room to be discussed. Linebacker is one of the most competitive spots currently in the senior pool. Robinson was an all-decade player for the 1960s. Howley was not. I'm on the senior committee and we only get to pick two candidates each year. It's tough every year knowing there about 60-70 worthy candidates will have to wait another year. I thought the Culp/Robinson tandem was the strongest tandem the senior committee has presented in more than a decade. Neither had ever been in the room before. Both are now headed to Canton.

Rick can you explain how there is not any discussion of Chuck Howley for the HOF? His numbers and career were outstanding, much better than David Robinson. No disrespect to him but Chuck is more than deserving.

The Green Bay folks will tell you Dave Robinson was more deserving. The Hall of Fame selection committee picks the all-decade team – and this committee selected Robinson to the 1960s all-decade team, not Howley. That serves as a milepost in the selection process. Don't get me wrong -- Howley is deserving and remains in the seniors queue for discussion. But it takes time for some players. CB Jack Butler was selected to the league's 50th anniversary team -- and it took him 50 years after his retirement to get into the room to be discussed for the first time. Like I said earlier, if you belong in the Hall of Fame, I believe you will eventually get there. It just takes a bit longer for some players. >>

Thanks for posting that!

I normally agree with Gosselin but I believe its an error to put more weight on the All Decade Teams over the All Pro's, Pro Bowls, or any other award or accolade. I don't believe that a total over sight can occur where a player is the best at their position for most of a decade but goes unnoticed yearly by the media. I understand a lack of All Pro nominations because a guy plays for a terrible team like Nobis, but I don't see how Robinson passed Howley when both played on championship teams and talented defenses.

Howley was one of the most decorated LB's of the 1960's yet Larry Morris was name to the 1960's All Decade Team, go figure.lol

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

<< <i>Did someone say Rapid Packer Fan? >>

No, actually. image
  • Options

<< <i>Ranking 30 ringless 30-somethings for the HOF >>

Pretty good write up. I agree with the majority with the biggest difference on my list being Kevin Williams. Here is the list of current modern HOF eligible players with 5+ 1st Team All-Pro selections who are not in the HOF:

Zach Thomas

LOL..As you can see, VERY short list..Only 10 Senior pool guys with 5+ 1st Team All-Pros who arent in. And the every single one of those guys played between 1930s and 1960s, when All-Pro competition with between players on 8-14 teams vs. 32 teams...
  • Options

<< <i>

Pretty good write up. I agree with the majority with the biggest difference on my list being Kevin Williams. Here is the list of current modern HOF eligible players with 5+ 1st Team All-Pro selections who are not in the HOF:

Zach Thomas

LOL..As you can see, VERY short list..Only 10 Senior pool guys with 5+ 1st Team All-Pros who arent in. And the every single one of those guys played between 1930s and 1960s, when All-Pro competition with between players on 8-14 teams vs. 32 teams... >>

When you get a chance could you identify those players? Off the top of my head I can list Patton, Howley, and Stanfel.

title.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Zach Thomas

LOL..As you can see, VERY short list..Only 10 Senior pool guys with 5+ 1st Team All-Pros who arent in. And the every single one of those guys played between 1930s and 1960s, when All-Pro competition with between players on 8-14 teams vs. 32 teams... >>

When you get a chance could you identify those players? Off the top of my head I can list Patton, Howley, and Stanfel. >>

Lavvie Dilweg WR 6 1920s
    Jim Tyrer OT 6 AFL
    Johnny Robinson S 6 AFL
    Ox Emerson OG 5 1930s
    Riley Matheson OG 5 1940s
    Dick Stanfel OG 5 1950s
    Jimmy Patton S 5 1960s
    Del Shofner WR 5 1960s
    Chuck Howley LB 5 1960s
    Larry Grantham LB 5 AFL
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Zach Thomas

When you get a chance could you identify those players? Off the top of my head I can list Patton, Howley, and Stanfel. >>

Lavvie Dilweg WR 6 1920s
    Jim Tyrer OT 6 AFL
    Johnny Robinson S 6 AFL
    Ox Emerson OG 5 1930s
    Dick Stanfel OG 5 1950s
    Jimmy Patton S 5 1960s
    Del Shofner WR 5 1960s
    Chuck Howley LB 5 1960s
    Larry Grantham LB 5 AFL >>

Thanks for posting that

title.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Zach Thomas

Lavvie Dilweg WR 6 1920s
    Jim Tyrer OT 6 AFL
    Johnny Robinson S 6 AFL
    Ox Emerson OG 5 1930s
    Dick Stanfel OG 5 1950s
    Jimmy Patton S 5 1960s
    Del Shofner WR 5 1960s
    Chuck Howley LB 5 1960s

Although excellent players, I just don't see Patton,Shofner,and Grantham as HOFers. I grew up in NY a Giants fan and watched many a Jets game, but I just think they are "close but no cigar".
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Zach Thomas

Lavvie Dilweg WR 6 1920s
    Jim Tyrer OT 6 AFL
    Johnny Robinson S 6 AFL
    Ox Emerson OG 5 1930s
    Dick Stanfel OG 5 1950s
    Jimmy Patton S 5 1960s
    Del Shofner WR 5 1960s
    Chuck Howley LB 5 1960s

Although excellent players, I just don't see Patton,Shofner,and Grantham as HOFers. I grew up in NY a Giants fan and watched many a Jets game, but I just think they are "close but no cigar". >>

With all of them currently in the midst of a 40+ year wait, if you are taking bets on this in Vegas, I'd probably have to bet on none of them ever getting in...lol
  • Options
    Michael Bates????HOFer??? hahahaa

Someone REALLLLYYYYY needs to get to know and understand how the HOF committee works before sending these requests...Was almost embarrassed to even have to vote no on that one...The others aren't much better, although I think Ty Law might get a fair shot, but Michael Bates? On what grounds would he ever sniff induction? Just dont get it...
  • Options
    Lol, yes that was a good one. Who is requesting this junk?
    Greatly overpaying for a 2000 Fleer Showcase Tom Brady PSA 10
  • Options
    The inmates are trying to run the asylum.
  • Options
    Well all I can say...

My 4 automatic NO's
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Who was Michael Bates? Was he a return guy or something? I can't even remember him, a cowboy? None of those guys will ever get a sniff.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Probably the same guy that got the Bates card into the '90's team set and requested that hideous Bill Walsh card in the '80's team set.
    Really if you want a Bill Walsh card that was in a mainstream set then wouldn't you go with '89 Pro Set?
    Anyway I voted 3 of them no right away.

I had to look up Ty Law:
    Ty Law
    I didn't know he was a HOF semi-finalist this year. The rest of his accomplishments are good enough for me, I voted him yes.
  • Options
    I guess I have to take back the comment about the Bill Walsh card, Beckett has it listed as his RC.
    They must consider the '89 an insert because it is part of an announcer series.
  • Options

<< <i>Probably the same guy that got the Bates card into the '90's team set and requested that hideous Bill Walsh card in the '80's team set.
    Really if you want a Bill Walsh card that was in a mainstream set then wouldn't you go with '89 Pro Set?
    Anyway I voted 3 of them no right away.

I had to look up Ty Law:
    Ty Law
    I didn't know he was a HOF semi-finalist this year. The rest of his accomplishments are good enough for me, I voted him yes. >>

• Options
    I voted for Law for the same reasons that have already been stated and the fact that he had continued success even after he left the Patriots. He was on tough CB in man coverage. I also voted yes for Justin Smith. He lacks the career accolades and championships of a Richard Seymour but the film shows Smith as the superior player (he was almost an All Pro at two positions for the same season).

title.
  • Options
    Another survey issued today. Nominating A. Peterson for the all time rushers set. This is the second time this player is being nominated I voted no again.
  • Options
    Yes indeed

My automatic NO unless first discussed here.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    I have the following HOF RCs for sale here, (price includes shipping)
    1955 Bowman Mike McCormack #2 PSA 7 - $65.00
    1964 Topps Bobby Bell #90 PSA 7 - $50.00
    1993 Bowman Willie Roaf #421 PSA 9 - $15.00
  • Options
    A quick question:

I recently bought a couple of cards to add in my Future HOF - modern set but they've both been knocked back by the registry:

2007 Topps Chrome #TC200 Calvin Johnson - Blue Refractor
    1995 Finest #212 Ruben Brown - Refractor w/ coating

I haven't been on the board in a while but am very confused. I don't usually buy the refractors since the regular versions are fine by me but some of the required cards are refractors so didn't even think they'd distinguish between the two.

Do I actually have to get the standard card, even though the refractors are essentially the same but shorter printed? Doesn't make sense.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    Vince

You are correct in that some required cards are refractors...such as 2001 topps chrome FB.
    The only way to get this card was a refractor.

However if there is a normal card that is issued and it also has a refractor the the ref is not allowed.

Similar to SP where the same card is also has a die cut and that is not allowed.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Aussies. SMH. image
  • Options
    Andy
    Please stop using chat lingo that I don't know and then have to google and look up.

SMH oh yes Sydney Morning Herald

I bet you didn't know Crocodile Dundee collects WWE Crocodile wrestling and rugby cads.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    OK thanks for that but then why did I get the 2007 Topps Chrome Adrian Peterson Blue Refractor into my set? Shouldn't that follow the same rule as the Ruben Brown case? I don't collect modern much and just fell over these but it's annoying as hell. Count the base card if that's the more common one but why not also allow the refractors as well since they're the same card but just short printed? I understand about die-cut -- they're not the same card, even though I'd allow that as well.

And if a rule is a rule (like in the case of Ruben Brown), why change it for AP?

Pain in the ass and not worth continuing the registry set in my opinion.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    Time this was back on the list. Any one get anything good at the national? Anyone go to Canton for the enshrinement?
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Vince,
    You have to get the standard card to add to the set (unless the set specifies a refractor). I've also questioned why this is the case.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    Was looking at 2016 guys - always something.

If Tony Dungy makes it in, what are the thoughts on adding the 1979 steelers team card with him on it?

I personally have mixed feelings, what do you guys think?

Bill
  • Options
    Bill

Although it a team leaders card I believe most feel it's his genuine RC.

It's his only card for that matter.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Dungy will be elected for his performance as a coach ONLY. Would assume he would not qualify for the HOF Rookie PLAYERS set.
  • Options
    Jason

There is a players/admin/coaches set.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

<< <i>Jason

There is a players/admin/coaches set. >>

Yes, I am aware. But that set takes any card of any player/coach/admin listed...Not a "specific" card such as 1979 Topps. Will take anything with Dungy's name on it.

Since the question was related to a specific card, I assumed he was talking about the HOF Rookies set on the HOF Rookies thread...Either way, Dungy's " HOF rookie" card should be the first card of him as a COACH. His player card wouldn't be used as his rookie in any of the HOF TEAM sets. AT least based on what is currently used on other sets there.

Jason