Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    8 years ago.. sorry

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, 8 years. Time really does fly, Dave. Good to see you here. Hope all is well.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    Reading this thread definitely is a trip down memory lane. I'm also in the process of selling off my collection. Partly because of different interests, but also to some extent because of the somewhat arbitrary changes that started happening in a lot of the football registry sets. It was either buy cards that I had no interest in owning or just say forget it. Too bad that the original purpose of these sets were twisted and changed without much recourse. Oh well, life happens, things change.

Best of luck to all of you guys in whatever you're up to these days. I know we've traded cards among each other many times.

• I'm several years late to the party on the HOF rookie set as I know many of you have already sold yours off, and I don't have much to say about the voting - I recently started a HOF vintage rookie set which I'm excited about as I prefer the older cards.

Anyway, I have a question:

Why is the:

1952 BOWMAN JOE STYDAHAR

included, but not the

1952 BOWMAN George Halas?

They are both coach cards.... Is it because Halas was inducted as a coach and Stydahar as a player? Halas was an all decade of the 20s player though too - is he not considered a HOF player?

Thanks!
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it because Halas was inducted as a coach and Stydahar as a player? >>

Correct. George Halas was inducted as coach/owner/founder. Had he never been a coach/owner/founder and ONLY been a player? He most likely would have never been inducted. Much like Lavern Dilweg, the Packers End from the 1920s. Who was selected as an All-Pro End over Halas on 4 occasions.

That was the thought process at least, as we were deciding who and which cards belonged in a Pro Football HOF PLAYERS set.

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

<< <i>

Correct. George Halas was inducted as coach/owner/founder. Had he never been a coach/owner/founder and ONLY been a player? He most likely would have never been inducted. Much like Lavern Dilweg, the Packers End from the 1920s. Who was selected as an All-Pro End over Halas on 4 occasions.

That was the thought process at least, as we were deciding who and which cards belonged in a Pro Football HOF PLAYERS set. >>

I can understand that reasoning for the player set. But then someone came along and had GEORGE HALAS removed from the Chicago Bears HOF Set. George Halas. From the Chicago Bears HOF set. Come on! The Bears still wear the man's initials on their damn uniforms and someone is going to remove him from the Chicago Bears set???? I think that was pretty much one of the final straws for me. Clearly someone with no concept of Chicago Bears history was getting involved and I wanted no part of this registry crap anymore.

<< <i>

<< <i>

That was the thought process at least, as we were deciding who and which cards belonged in a Pro Football HOF PLAYERS set. >>

I can understand that reasoning for the player set. But then someone came along and had GEORGE HALAS removed from the Chicago Bears HOF Set. George Halas. From the Chicago Bears HOF set. Come on! The Bears still wear the man's initials on their damn uniforms and someone is going to remove him from the Chicago Bears set???? I think that was pretty much one of the final straws for me. Clearly someone with no concept of Chicago Bears history was getting involved and I wanted no part of this registry crap anymore. >>

Thats just downright idiotic. The team sets are NOT, or at least were not, player only sets...The fact that PSA would even entertain the idea is baffling.
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    Just looked at Registered sets for the first time in probably a couple of years, and the HOF and Key Card set lists are unrecognizable. The over saturation that I and many others here feared looks to have taken hold in a big way. Crazy to me to have so many like, almost identical sets. How would a new collector weed through this and find a good set to collect?

Something to be said on the beauty of simplicity, and its sad to see the Registry look so garbled. But so very thankful I no longer have a need or desire to look at it and have to see the carnage.

Ugly, just ugly.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    For me and I speak only for my love of the game....I look at card collecting as collecting history of the sport.
    We are all going to be in disagreement on who was hof worthy, best card to get. To me the registry is a guideline.
    I don't care if I'm #1 or #30 on it (can't afford to be #1). A recent discussion on all time RB's Terrell Davis and
    Roger Craig on inclusion or not. IMO they were part of the games history and I want their card whether or not they are registry worthy.

I was a big proponent of Ray Guy getting into the hall. Many others thought that would be the end of the world.

I am a big Joe Namath fan (even before the pantyhose commercials) as I saw his career and lived the times.
    Many think he isn't even HOF material (sorry shagman you are semi quoted here...and on stats alone you are absolutely right).

His RC in an 8 is at $10K now. Imagine shelling out that kind of $ for a card you don't want. My sympathies.

If people don't like what the registry has chosen for cards...then set up a showcase. You can put in exactly what you want.
    I have many of them.

I also like the CFL. Talk about RC selection many have food issues as first cards. Is blue ribbon tea allowable under PSA guidelines???

There is no CFL hof registries. However collecting the cards is just as fun. After 1972 there isn't even mainstream cards at all.

Collect what you like, for the registry or not, or not at all......you can still make the registry a place to discuss our love of the game.

I respect everyone's opinion here. and the knowledge.

OK on the knowledge part.........trivia question. answer if you like. no cheating.

What professional QB has thrown for the most yardage?? If you know something else about this player that is a bonus.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    I agree that there was no reason to do HOF RC Modern Players and Vintage Player sets. It's just taking the HOF RCs set and dividing it in two. Huh? Also not a huge fan of the First Ballot HOF RCs set, but I can see why someone would want to collect it. Then again, the same was done in baseball and some of the cards are different from the complete set which is maddening. Luckily I never got into the player or team sets, otherwise I'd probably have gotten out of them too.

To answer your question Mr. Groat, I have a feeling I'm wrong, but Warren Moon?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Thanks for the replies and great discussion. I suspected about Halas, although its so sad to me that so many old time players aren't in the Hall, and not to pick on one person, but Aeneas Williams is in even though I never recall thinking of him as a HOFer while he was playing.

I have to admit, if the set wasn't broken into 2, I wouldn't have jumped in - I didn't request it, but when I saw it, I was happy. Having to collect more and more modern cards every year as new players get in, just doesn't interest me - in fact modern cards don't interest me. 33-69 - kind of arbirary, but I get it.

And for the Bears, yeah I actually chose a set just to include the Halas card. Only 5 other collectors collecting Bears HOF Players (AND ADMIN). Dumb to have 2 sets when one would have made a lot more sense.

I almost wish each collector was allowed one personal set - kind of like what I do for my physical display case - I change it out with different themes. That way people wouldn't have to request so many sets.
    Andy Moon was the leader for a while but has been passed (no funny here) by 2 players.
    One holds the all time record for QB for rushing and passing combined.
    Who is he???? A tip: he has a very famous brother

Also guys when we compare passing yards it's not really apples to apples between the CFL AND NFL.
    Can you imagine Beckham Jr getting a 10 yard running start....Eli Manning would have the record when he retires lol.

I love collecting pre 1975 FB sets and the older the better. So if a guy on the senior future HOF set doesn't make the HOF then I
    still need the card. With the advent of the new selection rules...one senior candidate...this set is becoming more irrelevant.

On the modern set.....well if the guy doesn't make it we are stuck with an overpriced piece of cardboard....unless you wanted that player.

What kills me is when a card is replaced by another or when a 2nd similar set has another card altogether.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Just got the best deal in some time for me. 1964 Vince Lombardi Philly card PSA 9. $66 from Probstein. Normally a $140+ card. What a screaming deal to upgrade my PSA 8
  • Sounds like a killer deal.
    I can't offer those kind of deals but I am offering up a bunch of cards that could fill some spots nicely for this set on the buy sell message board.
    Have a look and ask about anything all I can do is say NO.
    The 15 HOF finalists were announced tonight:

Andersen, Bettis, Brown, Coryell, Davis, Dungy, Greene, Haley, Harrison, Johnson, Lynch, Pace, Seau, Shields and Warner.

Cut from the list were: At-water, Bruce, Craig, Holt, Jacoby, James, Kenn, Law, Mawae and Mecklenburg.

No surprises really.

<< <i>The 15 HOF finalists were announced tonight:

Andersen, Bettis, Brown, Coryell, Davis, Dungy, Greene, Haley, Harrison, Johnson, Lynch, Pace, Seau, Shields and Warner.

Cut from the list were: At-water, Bruce, Craig, Holt, Jacoby, James, Kenn, Law, Mawae and Mecklenburg.

No surprises really. >>

A couple of surprises for me...Terrell Davis leapfrogging Roger Craig the first...Jimmy Johnson getting more votes than Kevin Mawae(1st team all-decade) and Ty Law (patriots dynasty) the 2nd.

Not sure about the odds for Davis or Johnson. There are some cases however where longtime eligible guys finally get a crack at having their cases heard and it pushes them all the way to the top 5. With 3 coaches in the top 15, I have to think it really boosts the odds of a coach taking one of the final 5 slots. That will most likely be Dungy.

My top 5 at the moment looks a little different since I last posted:

Junior Seau
    Kurt Warner
    Marvin Harrison
    Orlando Pace
    Tony Dungy

<< <i>With 3 coaches in the top 15, I have to think it really boosts the odds of a coach taking one of the final 5 slots. That will most likely be Dungy. >>

I had the same thought. If one of the coaches does get in, I just hope it doesn't happen at the expense of Haley. They've made him wait long enough.

<< <i>

<< <i>With 3 coaches in the top 15, I have to think it really boosts the odds of a coach taking one of the final 5 slots. That will most likely be Dungy. >>

I had the same thought. If one of the coaches does get in, I just hope it doesn't happen at the expense of Haley. They've made him wait long enough. >>

Seau, Warner, Harrison seem to be the locks this year....Add a coach as the 4th leaves one spot for everyone else. I didn't think Pace had the juice to be a 1st ballot guy and jump Will Shields, Haley, Greene and Bettis (guys who made the cut to 10 last year along with Harrison)...But he's getting a TON of push, I've heard or read more than one voter listing Pace as the next best candidate outside of Seau.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Andy Moon was the leader for a while but has been passed (no funny here) by 2 players.
    Who is he???? A tip: he has a very famous brother >>

OK I give up, what's the answer?
    Here's a trivia question for you. Name the 2 NFL QBs who've each had TWO sons play QB in the NFL
  • BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Andy Moon was the leader for a while but has been passed (no funny here) by 2 players.

Here's a trivia question for you. Name the 2 NFL QBs who've each had TWO sons play QB in the NFL >>

Damon Allen, brother of HOFer Marcus, is the CFL QB

Well Archie Manning and YOUR HOFer Phil Sims

answer: Damon allen Marcus Allen's younger brother
    I kinda follow the CFL unlike just about everyone else.

my answer: well Archie Manning is the easy one Eli and Peyton
    you have me on that 2nd one
    I can name a few that had one son play qb such as luck and griese

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    You got it!

Jay,its Phil Simms---Chris (Bucs) and Matt (Jets)
    Joe

I knew that but somehow forgot. I was watching a game...I think this year an Simms son came in.
    The commentators mentioned both.....but I went rain dead for your question. I didn't want to go to pro-football ref and cheat.

I don't think there is any father & son both in the hof....but are there any potential ones?? There is in hockey I know.
    Clay Mathews combo?????

or see how many dad/son(s) we can get as a board together....

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Here's a trivia question for you. Name the 2 NFL QBs who've each had TWO sons play QB in the NFL >>

From a New York Giant Homer!

<< <i>Joe

I knew that but somehow forgot. I was watching a game...I think this year an Simms son came in.
    The commentators mentioned both.....but I went rain dead for your question. I didn't want to go to pro-football ref and cheat.

I don't think there is any father & son both in the hof....but are there any potential ones?? There is in hockey I know.
    Clay Mathews combo?????

or see how many dad/son(s) we can get as a board together.... >>

Tim and Wellington Mara is all I can think of....
    good one

if owners are inc.......thinking of some long time family held teams

Add the Rooneys to the list
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    Of course, the Rooneys! I knew I was missing one. For that matter, is there any father-son player combo in the HOF of any major sport?
    Off the top of my head, Gordie and Mark Howe.
    I looked it up - there's one more pretty obvious one in the NHL.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    Andy

I idolized the "Golden Jet"
    Then Bobby Orr, Bobby Clarke, Then Mario.
    Gretzky wasn't bad either.

In HK also the Patrick's

In auto racing you are going to get quite a few father/son in the HOF combos
    Lee & Richard Petty....brother Maurice as a mechanic
    Ned and Dale Jarrett
    Bill SR and Bill JR France
    There is a ton of 2nd and even several 3rd generation drivers.

For sure Mario and Michael Andretti....and grandson Marco driving probably not a hofer though.
    How about: Brother Bobby & Brother Al SR and his son Al JR all will be in the HOF
    Dale Sr and maybe Dale Jr Earnhardt
    Bobby Allison and maybe son Davey

In bowling...the Webbers

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Getting dead on here.....

Only a couple days left until set gets some additions.

My picks:

Orlando Pace
    Junior Seau
    Kurt Warner
    Tony Dungy
    Mick Tingelhoff

<< <i>Orlando Pace
    Junior Seau
    Kurt Warner
    Tony Dungy
    Mick Tingelhoff >>

I agree with these five, and I'll go Haley or Harrison for the sixth spot.
    Without sounding repetitious....

<< Orlando Pace
    Junior Seau
    Kurt Warner
    Tony Dungy
    Mick Tingelhoff >>

I agree with these five, and I'll go Haley or Harrison for the sixth spot.
    I'll give the edge to Harrison.

Sentimental vote for Terrell Davis

If Dungy gets is and it wont affect the players set.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    Yep, almost that time! My final best guesses...

Junior Seau
    Kurt Warner
    Marvin Harrison
    Tony Dungy
    Charles Haley

Orlando Pace has the best chance at knocking one of the above out. I have them ranked in the order of who I think gets the most votes among the modern candidates. Bettis could conceivably get in, but odds are probably fairly long. Coryell or Jimmy Johnson could also replace Dungy and I wouldnt be too surprised. I think one of the 3 coaches will get in, and really havent heard or read anything that leads me to believe that any one of the 3 is getting the biggest push. Dungy had the most support last year and don't see a reason the other 2 would now all of a sudden get more votes. But certainly stranger things have happened in the voters meeting..lol

Dont see any of the other finalists having much of a chance this year.

Tingelhoff and both of the contributers should get in fairly easily. Unless they want to wait on Polian to be sure he is permanently retired.

Will check back Saturday and see how we all did.
    Apparently Tim Brown is getting a big push, so I wouldn't be shocked if he got the nod today. Unfortunately, that would very likely mean one more year of waiting for Harrison. Ughhh. I'm gonna revise my guess to:

Seau
    Warner
    Haley
    Pace
    Brown

IMO, Pace did not do enough to be a first-ballot guy, but it's looking more and more likely that he will be.
  • When is the announcement today?
    The new class will be officially announced during the NFL Honors show on NBC from 9-11. If I remember correctly though, most or all of the names had leaked before the show aired last year.
  • SEC/ESPN Network is reporting Jerome Bettis was elected. No others mentioned yet
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Tingelhoff
    Ron Wolf
    Polian

Bettis
    Shields
    Tim Brown
    Seau
    Haley

A few surprises here. Thought Warner was a lock.
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Junior Seau
    Jerome Bettis
    Charles Haley
    Tim Brown
    Will Shields
    Mick Tingelhoff
    Ron Wolf
    Bill Polian

According to NFL.com

NFL.com
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seau
    Bettis
    Haley
    Brown
    Shields

2 out of my 5. Not surprised to see Bettis go in. Shields over Pace and Brown over Harrison both pretty surprising. Fairly evident they wanted to clear up some lingering players this year. Not a bad strategy as the newer candidates tend to be tougher to compare due to the changes in the NFL the past 10-15 years.

All in all great class. Happy to see a very deserving Tingelhoff get in as well.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I may be projecting but it seemed like Brown got the loudest ovation outside of Seau's. IMHO, he was far overdue and I'm very happt that the longstanding WR logjam is finally broken.

AS a Raider fan glad 2 c Tim Brown get in. Andy was right.

Overall a great class and congrats to all of them.

To be honest a little surprised Warner didn't make it. He eventually will. IMO.

I have an extra Haley 9 and 8/9 Tim Brown if anyone needs them Let me know

Hawks by 14. Looking forward to a good game.

OK question

Who believes Jerry Kramer should be in the HOF?

Will he ever get another chance as a senior candidate?

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    So looking ahead to next year, we have Favre, Faneca and (I think) Owens as first-time candidates. I don't know if Owens' time in the IFL reset the clock on his HOF eligibility). Favre is obviously a slam dunk. Faneca's an interesting candidate. 9 Pro Bowls and 6 All Pro nods are pretty impressive. But I think Pace will go in next year and perhaps Faneca the year after. Even if Owens is eligible, I highly doubt he gets in first ballot. Just too much baggage. Plus Harrison is still ahead of him. My uber early predictions:

Favre
    Greene
    Pace
    Harrison
    Lynch

If not for Favre, I think Warner would get the nod. As for the VC, I'm hoping Howley and Kramer are the nominees. Robinson, Meador, Branch, Curtis, Kuechenberg and Harris are other possible candidates.

<< <i>I don't think Kurt Warner is a first ballot HOF candidate. I know he had a couple of great seasons, but he also had some mediocre to bad ones too and didn't have that long of a career in the NFL. If you take a look at his stats, he only passed for 32,344 yards. Not to say that he doesn't eventually get in, but I think there's enough debate to keep him from being a first ballot guy. Just my $0.02. >>

Looks like I wasn't the only one who thought so.
  • Not sure how many of you are MMQB readers (Peter King's column) but interesting read on the HOF voting this past weekend. Also a brief mention of upcoming first year candidates over the next few years.

JE
    I'd like to check it out. Can you post a link?

<< <i>So looking ahead to next year, we have Favre, Faneca and (I think) Owens as first-time candidates. I don't know if Owens' time in the IFL reset the clock on his HOF eligibility). Favre is obviously a slam dunk. Faneca's an interesting candidate. 9 Pro Bowls and 6 All Pro nods are pretty impressive. But I think Pace will go in next year and perhaps Faneca the year after. Even if Owens is eligible, I highly doubt he gets in first ballot. Just too much baggage. Plus Harrison is still ahead of him. My uber early predictions:

Favre
    Greene
    Pace
    Harrison
    Lynch

If not for Favre, I think Warner would get the nod. As for the VC, I'm hoping Howley and Kramer are the nominees. Robinson, Meador, Branch, Curtis, Kuechenberg and Harris are other possible candidates. >>

This is exactly what I have for next year, with the exception of Warner, he made the cut to 10, along with Dungy, Harrison, Greene and Pace. I dont think Dungy or Lynch are strong enough to go in over Warner next year...Lynch not out of the question, as I think he finally gets into the top 10 next year. Dungy should be close again as well. I have Lynch and Dungy going in together in 2017.