Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always some really nice stuff guys.

That 6.5 Reggie is as good as it gets. Who knew that 6.5 is the new 8? image
    Mike
  • Options
    Super duper stoked to pick up the 2014 Topps Chrome Superfractor to go with the Refractor

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Lol! The Ricky Vaughn card brings back some good memories.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As always some really nice stuff guys.

That 6.5 Reggie is as good as it gets. Who knew that 6.5 is the new 8? image >>

Thanks Mike! I don't see myself getting any better overall looking Reggie than this one. I agree with you on some really nice stuff being shown on here lately. I almost have to stop looking at this thread because it makes me want to collect boxing cards, modern autograph etc..
  • Options
    I'm more than happy to add this to my NFLPA set!

I think this is a solid 8.5 or on a good day a 9.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Cool Payton. What set is that from?
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

<< <i>Cool Payton. What set is that from? >>

1979 NFLPA Pennant Stickers

Tim
  • Options

<< <i>

1979 NFLPA Pennant Stickers >>

How many stickers to the set - very nice - have never seen them before.

Thanx for sharing - it's what I like about our forum - I know I'm always gonna see something I know nothing about.
    Mike
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I just got this in the mail from amazing forum member thekid8!

Even better is that he sent me one in 2013, but it never found its way to my new home, as I had moved. I also moved in 2014, but the box went from New York to Chicago to Seattle. We just took our tree down, but this will have a proud spot in my Will Clark display for about 11 months a year, waiting for the tree to go up after Thanksgiving.

Thanks a ton, Mike!

• Options
    Very cool Drew!

Merry Christmas!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

1979 NFLPA Pennant Stickers >>

How many stickers to the set - very nice - have never seen them before.

Thanx for sharing - it's what I like about our forum - I know I'm always gonna see something I know nothing about. >>

Mike, since no one else answered this and I just saw it (page finally turned!), I figured I would chime in.

51 stickers in the set, not counting background color variations.

There are a number of short prints that are very difficult to find.

Highlights of the set are Earl Campbell (RC), Payton, Bradshaw, Fouts (SP), Dorsett, Franco Harris (SP), & Stabler (SP), & Staubach.

They measure about 5" long and were distributed, like most (if not all) NFLPA products, via vending machines.

NFLPA put out some very cool oddball items in the 1970's. I stole a photo from eBay showing both the 1972 Fabric Cards / Iron-Ons (left) & 1972 Vinyl Stickers (right) for example:

Most of the NFLPA sets are very affordable and readily available... this set is probably the toughest and most expensive to assemble.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Love the vinyl sticker! Any Patriots on the checklist?
  • Options
    Thanx Scott.
    Mike
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Love the vinyl sticker! Any Patriots on the checklist? >>

Sort of... it has a Plunkett rookie, although most associate him more with the Raiders than the Pats:

Snorto~
  • Options
    Anyone notice Page is rushing a black QB? I could be wrong but I don't think there were any in '72
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Love the vinyl sticker! Any Patriots on the checklist? >>

Sort of... it has a Plunkett rookie, although most associate him more with the Raiders than the Pats:

Snorto~ >>

This page just now updated for me, for some reason these long threads don't work right on my iPad or iPhone. The 72 NFLPA sticker set was going to be my next sticker set, if I ever finish my pennant set. SP's are tough I've never even seen a copy of Jim Zorn ( anyone have a scan?).

Snorto, at the end of your first post were you referencing the pennants or one of the other two? I'm assuming the pennants.

Tim
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone notice Page is rushing a black QB? I could be wrong but I don't think there were any in '72 >>

Joe Gilliam, Marlin Briscoe, and James Harris come to mind.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>Snorto, at the end of your first post were you referencing the pennants or one of the other two? I'm assuming the pennants. >>

Yup, definitely the 1979 NFLPA Pennants as the toughest & most expensive NFLPA release from the 1970's.

That said, I haven't tried putting together the 1971 or 1972 Wonderful World Stamps... and at nearly 400 stamps in each, I likely won't.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Snorto, at the end of your first post were you referencing the pennants or one of the other two? I'm assuming the pennants. >>

Yup, definitely the 1979 NFLPA Pennants as the toughest & most expensive NFLPA release from the 1970's.

That said, I haven't tried putting together the 1971 or 1972 Wonderful World Stamps... and at nearly 400 stamps in each, I likely won't.

Snorto~ >>

Those are cool with the bright color photo's! There is also another obscure football set that I like maybe called like sunco or something like that the design reminds me of 1959 topps. I think they might be affordable also possibly a big set. I'll have to do some research though.

Tim
  • Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    Just got my first order from BBCE in the mail yesterday. grabbed a few boxes, but also had one of my racks encapsulated.

1993 Topps Series 1 with Jeter showing on the back.

• Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyone notice Page is rushing a black QB? I could be wrong but I don't think there were any in '72 >>

Haha...that's interesting. I would bet it was a printing/cost issue. Maybe they could only print 2 colors per card before attaching the face image: team color and skin color.
  • Options
    WillBBCWillBBC Posts: 56 ✭✭
    That '93 Topps rack would be so much fun to open, congrats on the great purchase!

I finally have a scanner that can do some slabbed cards justice. This '93 SP Jeter is driving me nuts. I'm so tempted to send it in to PSA for a crossover but I don't have the cajones. It is so clean! We shall see.

And this came today. Childhood dream card obtained!

• Options
    My latest pickup.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    First card from this set I've been able to add in a long time

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    So most of my card pickups recently are in boxes to go to PSA ... but did pick up this. It will slot in nicely on the wall with the other Angels pieces

• Options
    And I did pick up this BGS 9.5 .. as a lifer Lakers fan this is a great add for me

It's the only booklet card I have and is numbered 10/10
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Finally started to send some of my unopened stuff to BBCE to get wrapped. I just sent off my unopened Baseball OPC BOXES of 73', 75' and 78'. Got this one back a couple of weeks ago.
    Top pack on left and right side had John Hadl on top of them. Even has the store owner coupon in it.

[URL=http://s967.photobucket.com/user/repoman2000/media/_57_1.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Stunning box.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    So much super stuff, I'll just say thanx for sharing!

Mike
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Received this recently courtesy of cardcountry. Needless to say I am quite smitten!

• Options

<< <i>Received this recently courtesy of cardcountry. Needless to say I am quite smitten!

image >>

Absolutely stunning!

Congratulations on your pickup.
    Mike
  • Options
    That Munson is awesome!
  • Options
    That Munson is a Very nice addition. Congrats.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That Munson is a Very nice addition. Congrats. >>

Thanks guys. Jeff really does have above average quality cards for the grade. I've looked at about 15 PSA 9s of this card on eBay in the last several months and so many of them are tilted and cut funny. This one is far superior to all of them IMHO. Thanks Jeff!
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    My most recent addition to the newest set I started…1910 T218….

• Options
    Gorgeous J. Johnson. Congrats.
  • Options

<< <i>Gorgeous J. Johnson. Congrats. >>

+1. Very cool.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I love looking at this thread!

I recently picked up a couple white whales I am very pleased with.

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Thanks again Dave! So glad you're happy with the Munson!

Todd- beautiful cards. I'm so glad you got them!!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks again Dave! So glad you're happy with the Munson!

Todd- beautiful cards. I'm so glad you got them!!!

Jeff >>

Thanks Jeff....meant to include this beauty, of course

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    I love that Ryan too. Some awesome deals lately for sure!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    Jeff, the Ryan is sick. A beautiful card. How it's not worthy of a 9 holder I do not know, but it doesn't matter as it's going nowhere.
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Holy wow....you snuck in that '51 Mantle into this thread. What a card! Congrats.
  • Options
    Hiya Todd

Congratulations on those cards.

I believe they deserve a thread of their own - it's not every day that someone buys a Nrmt Mantle RC!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Holy wow....you snuck in that '51 Mantle into this thread. What a card! Congrats. >>

+1
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

I always loved these Playoff framed pieces, they were must have items for any player collectors especially. In a lot of ways, I miss having so many card manufacturers and the innovation brought about by competition around the mid-1990's to mid-2000's.

<< <i>image[/URL] >>

Beautiful box and one you don't see too often, but isn't that the one you've been trying to sell for a couple months now already? I'm surprised it's still available. I know 1961 Nu-Card isn't extremely popular, but that is a tough box to find, especially in such terrific shape.

<< <i>image >>

Gorgeous card... you've every right to be smitten and then some!

<< <i>image >>

I love the look of so many vintage boxing cards. I know the sport isn't as popular as it once was, but I can't believe how inexpensive most of the major rookies are compared to other sports. I pick up 1948 Leaf boxing cards as I come across bargain priced, well centered examples... would like to put the set together some day.

<< <i>image >>

I still don't fully understand the HUGE disparity between Mantle's rookie and the 1952 Topps card. I really dig the smaller form factor of 1951 Bowman, find the image every bit as attractive as his 1952 Topps, and then there is the small matter of this being his ROOKIE CARD! I know I am in the very small minority, but if I was going to buy only one Mantle, it would be this. Congrats on an epic addition to your already impressive collection.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Fun to share with the fellow card enthusiasts. Keep the scans coming!
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    I got the Clemente a month ago, and the Wagner showed yesterday. I can't wait to get these into custom cards. Still working on design.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page