Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• Options
    This was one of Henry's sets that he consigned, I believe.

Great bargain as grading cards is 5 bucks a pop or so, and If that is one of henry's set you know they are full sized blazers
  • Options
    I was doing some research tonight and wanted to see if any of the knowledge from the old mini thread was still around. So I checked out the wayback machine over at the internet archive and came across this.

old mini thread

It looks like they only took a few snapshots over the years, but it's still cool to go back and read some of the posts from 2005 when it was just getting started. Thought folks here would appreciate the pointer.

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

• Options
    MiniMasterMiniMaster Posts: 505 ✭✭
    Ryan, Thanks for even a little snapshot of that old thread. It's a shame PSA won't filter the negative garbage and reinstate the thread. There is so much good information in that thread. Much of the passion I have for the 75 Topps Mini's is locked up in that thread. When someone takes something like that away, there's a bit of trust in the system lost.. You can certainly get a taste of the beginning. Can you imagine what I could have gotten for that #183 Mel Stottlemyre PSA 9 had I held onto it for several years. Things were certainly different then.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting look back indeed. The creator of that thread wound up becoming a persona non grata around here IIRC.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very interesting look back indeed. The creator of that thread wound up becoming a persona non grata around here IIRC. >>

Funny that he started a 75 mini thread, thought he more known for his 84 Donruss collecting??
  • Options
    Got some poppage on a few raw cards I subbed recently including the ones I picked up at the local show. So from the pack rip, the Claudell came back a 7 but the other 4 i subbed landed as 8s. Really pleased with the Stanley, Johnson and Kusick PSA 8s that I picked up at the card show last month. Of course there were a few N6s in the bunch, including the Bonds that I posted a scan of. Overall, pleased with the results. I'm currently working through my inventory if extra Minis and will be selling a few in the coming weeks that I have dupes of. Will be sure to post here before heading to eBay.

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 23062880 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 307 Home Run Leaders D.Allen/M.Schmidt Card
    2 1 23062881 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 219 Ed Herrmann Card
    3 1 23062882 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 173 Steve Rogers Card
    4 1 23062883 MINT 9 1975 Topps Mini 54 Eric Soderholm Card
    5 1 23062884 MINT 9 1975 Topps Mini 635 Chuck Dobson Card
    6 1 23062885 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 61 Dave Winfield Card
    6 2 23062886 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 61 Dave Winfield Card
    7 1 23062887 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1975 Topps Mini 90 Rusty Staub Card
    8 1 23062888 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 647 Claudell Washington Card
    9 1 23062889 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 161 Stan Bahnsen Card
    10 1 23062890 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 136 Jim Mason Card
    11 1 23062891 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 263 Jim Perry Card
    12 1 23062892 MINT 9 1975 Topps Mini 634 Cy Acosta Card
    13 1 23062893 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 163 Jim Brewer Card
    14 1 23062894 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 245 Mickey Lolich Card
    15 1 23062895 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 58 Chuck Taylor Card
    16 1 23062896 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 125 Ken Singleton Card
    17 1 23062897 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 241 Dick Tidrow Card
    18 1 23062898 MINT 9 1975 Topps Mini 42 Joe Coleman Card
    19 1 23062899 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1975 Topps Mini 29 Dave Parker Card
    20 1 23062900 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 564 Tommy Davis Card
    21 1 23062901 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 444 Gene Garber Card
    22 1 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 Topps Mini 637 Ted Martinez Card
    23 1 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 Topps Mini 392 Bruce Bochte Card
    24 1 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 Topps Mini 139 Horacio Pina Card
    25 1 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 Topps Mini 322 Ed Goodson Card
    26 1 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 Topps Mini 55 Bobby Bonds Card
    27 1 23062907 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 503 Fred Stanley Card
    28 1 23062908 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 53 Dave Giusti Card
    29 1 23062909 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 116 Lerrin LaGrow Card
    30 1 23062910 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 150 Bob Gibson Card
    31 1 23062912 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 143 Cliff Johnson Card
    32 1 23062914 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 297 Craig Kusick Card

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No love on the Bochte - but some nice ones in there. Nice to see the .5 on Parker.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Population report reflects a few changes in some star card populations in PSA 10, and I don't mean increases. Hank Aaron HL #1 now shows a Pop of 3, 1957 MVP's #195 now 1 Pop, Robin Yount #223 now 8 pop, George Brett #228 now 6 Pop, Reggie Jackson #300 now 1 pop, Hank Aaron #660 now a ZERO Pop. All of these are a reduction of 1 from previous pop's. I didn't yet check PSA 10 commons or PSA 9 pop's to see if there are any changes in those pop's? They appear to reflect changes in the Hill Collection, though the PSA 10's are still reflected in the set upon viewing it. It would seem those are temporary as the Hank Aaron #660 shows up as a PSA 10 in the set yet it show's a ZERO pop.
    Should these changes stand, there would be a significant change in the value's of the remaining examples, especially the #1, #195, #300 cards. The PSA 10 Robin Yount and George Brett cards already demand a premium so not sure how much effect a 1 pop reduction might change those values?
  • Options
    As suspected, I checked several common PSA 10 pop's in the Hill Collection on the PSA Set Registry and found 15 additional cards that reflect a zero population in PSA 10 where previously they were 1 pop PSA 10's. One of which was the #580 Frank Robinson PSA 10. Shortly before they ended up in the Hill Collection, a seller offered to sell me the #580 Frank Robinson PSA 10, #156 Dave Kingman PSA 10, and the #624 Rookie Pitchers PSA 10. This was early January of this year. The sellers name was Mike Souza. Also included in the offer to me were PSA 10 card #'s 13-Locklear, 137-Terry Forster, 190-1952 MVP's and #562-Gary Nolan. Obviously no deal was struck. Not sure if these cards ended up in the Hill collection? If so, it's quite possible the PSA 10 pop's of these commons may have reduced by 1 as well?

Also noteworthy is the reduction in Pop 10 of the #280 Carl Yastrzemski from a 4 pop to a 3 pop.

The following PSA 10's are the common's now listed with a zero PSA 10 pop, where they were recently 1 pop PSA 10's. #'s 51,156,177,179,233,388,463,537,541,567,580,604,607,624,655.

This would appear to be a significant event regarding PSA graded 1975 Topps Mini's.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    It would appear that Brady took a page from Henry's playbook. Hopefully on terms that made sense for him.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pops reduce for a period when an owner is having his name put on the flips.
  • Options

<< <i>Pops reduce for a period when an owner is having his name put on the flips. >>

If so, that is more likely the reason, imo. There's only one MMD, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    Not that it really matters, but IIRC from the old thread, Toad wrote the first page in that playbook.
  • Options

<< <i>Not that it really matters, but IIRC from the old thread, Toad wrote the first page in that playbook. >>

Indeed. And I recall how much resistance he encountered at first, but what he brought to this set, knowledge-wise, is/was undeniable.

• Options
    Hey guys - i got around to going through all my graded minis to figure out which ones I wanted to sell. The easiest way to do it was just to start a 2nd set on the registry. Here's a pointer to that set, which I'm willing to sell. There are a few in this 2nd set that I'm planning to keep - #302, #405, #417. All the others are available. I wanted to offer these to this group first before I list any of them on eBay. Just PM me if interested in any of them. I'm targeting VCP values for them.

Here's the link to set. 75 minis for sale

• Options
    Thanks Tim & Nick for your purchases. Card went in the mail today. I updated my 2nd set to reflect the current cards still available for sell/trade.

• Options
    Bumping this great thread up so it doesn't disappear.

And thanks Ryan for a great transaction on the Kusick Mini a few weeks back. Very nice card!
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Page turny thing seems to be broken. Here's hoping this fixes it.

P.S. It didn't.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Yes. It is broken. I ran across a decent raw set recently. I'm planning to submit a few singles to see how they grade. Will share results in this thread. Lots of good info. The Gates Brown and Kusick were undersized by at least 2-3mm. I'm assuming these will come back min/size.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    I'm assuming these will come back min/size.

Yes, I think it's very likely that will happen.

I saw the scans in the other thread. You did very well - congratulations!
  • Options
    So I just got back from psa 6 cards that I wanted reviewed from my recent sub from the box I ripped. Including the kusick, Todd, yount, fregosi, johnstone, and gilbreath. None of these bumped and two of them (yount and johnstone) had stickies indicating t/b centering was the culprit. What should these be measuring? What I have for both is 3.5 mm top and 2.5 mm bottom. Yount is an 8 and Johnstone is a 9. Seems the others had pointers at the corners where I really can't see anything holding these back. Will post scans later. I can't believe how tough it is to receive a 10 on these minis!

• Options
    PSA is stricter on minis centered low than high. Any card centered low is almost guaranteed not to bump.

• Options
    Grote is correct. You would have had a much better chance if your t/b measurements were flipped to 3.5 mm bottom and 2.5 mm top.
  • Options
    You guys are right about the preference for centered high. I noticed on the Fregosi that I sent in for review it actually came back in the new style holder (first time I've seen this on a mini). So they obviously cracked the old slab, took a closer look and decided to keep it as an 8 due to "corners" as noted on the sticky. This is first time I've have a review reholdered that I'm aware of.

• Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Now that PSA is obviously grading natural shorts, is it possible that being short is just another item on the grader's checklist (along with corners, surface, centering, etc.)?

There have been dozens of recently graded shorts showing up on ebay over the past few months - nearly all are in NM 7 or less. Does this theory have any merit in your opinion?
  • Options
    I'm not so sure psa has been grading naturally short cards in earnest. I've submitted several red/yellows and green/yellows the last few months and have yet to get one that measures less than 80 mm slabbed. Most of these were pulled from wax packs by me, so I know they aren't altered. All come back n6.

• Options
    I've yet to get a short red/yellow or green/yellow Mini holdered - all came back N6. I most recently tried in May of this year.
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, I have a question regarding prices on Minis. I was wondering about low populations (the card I am looking at is a POP 2) and star vs. common (the card I am looking at is a common). The card is on eBay with a BIN of $499.99. I have a PSA 8 in my player registry, which I am fine with, so this is just a question of supply and demand of the Minis.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Clarke, I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking about prices on low pop commons versus stars, generally, or are you asking whether $499 is a reasonable price for a low pop common? Either way, the most accurate way to get a feel for pricing on Mini's is to go to VintageCardPrices.com and sign up for a 1-day membership (I think it's $3.99) and research the sale prices for the Mini's of interest to you. We could give you anecdotal pricing assessments and opinions here, but I think you're better off getting real data at the aforementioned web site.
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Indy78
    Sorry about the confusion, I guess I was wondering what the price range of a PSA 10, POP 2 Common is.
    I think the $500 just shocked me, for a common not a star, and I didn't know if thats how rare/expensive PSA 10's are.
    I am too cheap to pay for VCP, plus I figured the opinions would be more entertaining from MINI enthusiasts.
    Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    10s have commanded strong prices for many years and have been the subject for a lot of debate here. I worked on this set for better than 7 years and badly wanted to achieve a 9.0 gpa, but I would never, ever pay $500 for a common 10. I sold every pop 1 or two I ever graded and used the money to buy lower price upgrades. There is a market for them and it ebbs and flows as the interest and needs of the top few vary.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Anyone have any new additions to their sets lately? I haven't added anything too significant lately, just a few upgrades of 7s to 8.5s and 9s. Activity on the mini thread has really died down.

I've got a few lots of all 8s up for sale on eBay if anyone is interested.

• Options
    I've been steadily upgrading my 7's to 8's through a combination of purchases and submitting cards to PSA. I'm down to three 7's. A few pages back in this thread, I showed a Driessen #133 that I picked up at a card show in January, or something like that. It got a 7 at the time, which I just didn't agree with. I finally got around to cracking it out and resubmitting it a few weeks ago. It came back in the mail today in this holder:

[URL=http://s521.photobucket.com/user/kank2gp/media/133002.jpg.html]image[/URL]

I'm pleased. The rest of the sub stunk, however. They were a bunch of red/yellows and green/yellows, all which received 7's, except for one 6. BTW, this Driessen and the others are in the new holders. They finally got around to using them for the Mini's.
  • Options
    Beautiful Driessen, Nick! Well deserving of the grade!

• Options
    Thanks Tim!
  • Options
    Some grader got pretty picky to knock that down to a 7. Congrats on the correction image
  • Options
    Thanks, T.A.
  • Options
    Back to the old philosophy of never settle for a grade on your own card that you really believe is wrong. Does the fact that a grader originally slabbed that card a 7 make it an inferior 8? To me it looks like a rock solid 8.

We don't like to admit it, but graders are human. Yes, that also means we have 9s and 10s that could easily be 8s and 9s, works both ways.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a reminder of why not to rip 1975 minis. This is not my box. Just came across it on youtube.

1975 Mini Wax Box

Even more painful, here are the results of their submission...

PSA Results
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a reminder of why not to rip 1975 minis. This is not my box. Just came across it on youtube.

1975 Mini Wax Box

Even more painful, here are the results of their submission...

PSA Results >>

Links don't work~I think that may be a CU member??

• Options
    Hmm, that's odd. Maybe they are blocking youtube for links. You can access it by searching youtube for '1975 mini break'. Houdini is the author.
  • Options

<< <i>Hmm, that's odd. Maybe they are blocking youtube for links. You can access it by searching youtube for '1975 mini break'. Houdini is the author. >>

You have to use the link URL for https instead of http for You Tube videos.

• Options
  • Options
    That box had some strange collation. For example, I don't recall seeing one red/yellow in that whole box. However, the box was full of what appeared to be full-sized green/yellows with nice coloring. There also seemed to be one decently centered card per pack with the rest having horrendous centering, which from what I've heard, is fairly typical.
  • Options
    "I think we're doing pretty good on centering.." LOL..

I give him credit for busting the ebox, but he went way too fast and opened up a few packs with stars on back that would have realized nice premiums if kept unopened.

Looks like the packs in this box ran a sequence of first six cards from the one * sheet with last four cards in each pack coming from the two ** sheet, which is a common sequence in mini packs with card face out on back. I've also seen packs with 7/3 split, too.

• Options
    Regarding the submission, I'm guessing the participants of the rip just decided whether or not to submit the cards from their packs rather than any preselection. Some of those were downright painful, VG commons, miscuts, stains, etc. I also don't get the whole box breaker deal. Why pay for a pack and then someone else gets the fun of opening it? I like the way we do the breaks on the forums the best. We get to spread the costs while still getting to open or own packs or keep them sealed for the vault.
  • Options
    I agree, I personally wouldn't pay for a pack, and not get the chance to open it myself. Not to mention, when opening yourself, you're able to then place the cards worthy of grading in a Card Saver, immediately. Was the ripper in this u-tube video named Jack? While most were not worthy of grading, had there been a Gem Mint card in the mix, it's likely the card wouldn't have stayed Gem Mint for long after the way they were handled. (Jack) The ripper obviously had no concept of really tough commons in this set, and mainly focused on the potential for star cards? Claiming many star cards worthy of grading despite the fact that they were hideously off center, and really not worthy of grading, if looking for PSA 8 or better.

Advise for those getting involved in unopened material. Get your own unopened material "ONLY" from a reputable seller. When you open the packs, have card saver 1's immediately available to place any card with the potential to grade in them. The less the cards are handled right out of the pack the better! Be extremely careful when placing the cards in the card saver so as to not catch a corner or edge of the card on the opening of the card saver. Carefully slide the card into the card saver so that it is well centered within the card saver. Note, that what's left of the unopened material for 1975 Topps Mini's are riddled with off center cards. The likelihood of discovering an entire box, let alone a case of centered examples would be extremely rare. Buyer beware!
  • Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be PSA 9 (OC)...looking like 80/20 top to bottom.

Not OC?
  • Options

<< <i>I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be PSA 9 (OC)...looking like 80/20 top to bottom.

Not OC? >>

I recall thinking same thing when it was originally listed as part of a lot a few weeks ago. Definitely should have an OC qualifier, imo. Likely a mechanical error.

• Options
    PSA claims all graded cards are reviewed by at least 2-3 other graders to help eliminate human error? In this case, it appears that added review process may have been missed?