Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Noticed it and the Alou for $114 BIN. I can see the Alou selling, but I wonder if anyone is long enough on their set (currently) to front $999 for a pop 3 Krausse PSA 9?
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Don't like the light blue fisheye on the Krausse on the right border.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't like the light blue fisheye on the Krausse on the right border. >>

+1 and the marks in the blue sky.

aconte
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    This only cost $1.04 delivered. If I were collecting the set in graded form I'd look for a nice high end one or keep my money.

aconte
  • Indy78Indy78 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    It looks like there is about a 1/16 inch difference in l-r centering between that 7 and the 9 for sale. The 1/16 inch difference will cost you about $1,000 - it's kind of crazy when you think about it in those terms.
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like there is about a 1/16 inch difference in l-r centering between that 7 and the 9 for sale. The 1/16 inch difference will cost you about $1,000 - it's kind of crazy when you think about it in those terms. >>

Hold the "kind of". image
    Has anyone here dealt with ebay user 'slapnutz', or is he registered here? I have an issue that I'm trying to resolve with him from last Sunday's auctions, but can't seem to get in touch. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave
  • MiniMasterMiniMaster Posts: 505 ✭✭
    with a user name like that, it's not surprising you're having an issue, J image

<< <i>Has anyone here dealt with ebay user 'slapnutz', or is he registered here? I have an issue that I'm trying to resolve with him from last Sunday's auctions, but can't seem to get in touch. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave >>

Nope, no one with that name on here.
    with a user name like that, it's not surprising you're having an issue

I know...what a great way to exude a professional image.

Anyhow, problem solved - all is good. For what it's worth, the problem was my fault and, beyond his username, he was a perfect customer.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    I am currently looking for the following Mini's in PSA 8 or better, full size obviously:

14 Wilcox
    16 Tanana
    65 Gullett
    96 Cosgrove
    103 Rick Miller
    173 Rogers
    300 Reggie
    371 Gates Brown
    384 Brewers Team
    402 Bob Tolan
    475 Darrell Evans
    504 Buddy Bradford
    565 Joe Torre
    583 Etchebarren
    600 Carew
    637 Ted Martinez

Thanks,
    Mark

• PM sent.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • And that topic, I posted my updated want list in the B/S/T forum and will update it at the start of each month.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
    If somebody had told me 2-3 years ago that Matt, Jim, and now Henry would be retiring their Mini sets over the next 2-3 years, I wouldn't have believed it. No disrespect is intended with that statement, it's just a little sad to see those sets gone.

I was at the tri-annual Chantilly, VA card show this past weekend. There was not much in the way of low pop raw Mini's worthy of 8's or better (I found 3). It's been that way for nearly 2 years now. It really seems like everything has been picked through. The days of finding 10-20 nice raw low pop's (to submit) each time are long gone. I was lucky to have been able to build my registry set during the Conlon sale when raw low pop commons were relatively abundant.
    Interesting that the sets were removed entirely vs. retired?
    I've also noticed that one of the biggest PSA Registry players has recently retired most all of his sets (Donald Spence). Anyone know anything about this? It appears "The Hill Collection" is now the #1 1975 Topps Regular Set Leader on the PSA Registry.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    What made Henry bail? It seemed he had endless amounts of money and passion for this?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • stengystengy Posts: 131 ✭✭
    I have about 1300 raw mini's - of which well over 100 are 7/8 or better. On Indy's advice, I finally got on Photobucket so I can hopefully download some pics. I don't have any graded cards, but am considering sending a few in to see if my grading eye is any good. If anyone is interested in seeing specific cards please let me know. It will be later Tuesday before I am able to start posting anything.
  • Hey guys, sorry should have given you a heads-up. I deleted all my sets because it was very difficult to keep up with various removal requests as I downsize my collection (I intend to sell off around 1/2 of what I own). Also, I apologize to a few of you who have inquired about a few of my minis...sorting, packing and shipping 10,000 PSA cards took a lot longer than I thought! My 1971 set is up right now with PWCC. I am quite traumatized/depressed looking at that set for auction. I believe some lucky folks will get a real bargain on some very difficult to find low pop 9s. I'll probably reinsert my minis once all this clears up
    Henry
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've also noticed that one of the biggest PSA Registry players has recently retired most all of his sets (Donald Spence). Anyone know anything about this? It appears "The Hill Collection" is now the #1 1975 Topps Regular Set Leader on the PSA Registry. >>

Spence retired his sets a while back--at least a year ago, if not longer, and Hill bought many of them (along with Tull), IIRC.

Henry, glad to hear you are okay! Good luck with the sales on the '71 set--that set is absolutely amazing and I think you will be very impressed with the final results.

I hope that you at least keep your overall #2 mini set intact, if not all the satellite sets. In the end, it's all just cardboard! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Henry, glad to hear you are okay! Good luck with the sales on the '71 set--that set is absolutely amazing and I think you will be very impressed with the final results.

+1. Thanks for the update! You had me half seriously thinking about whether I needed to sell my set or not. image

I wish you the best with the sale of the 71's. Those are some beauties.
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    It was a real project to get to the point of selling and shipping 450 in one shot, I literally can not imagine working through the sale of 10,000 slabs at once.

Good luck with your sales Henry, the 71s particularly are amazing.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    It worked! I'm rewarding myself with a Jameson's!

The Brett is OC, the lower corners are slightly soft and there is a good sized wax stain on the back.
    The Yount is centered nicely, has a couple of softish corners and little border chip.
    The Rose is centered pretty well and has nice corners, but has a spot to his left and a red print line on the top right.
    The Bench is a little blurry, but has sharp corners and is centered well.
    The Garvey has a small printers spot on the right border, but is very nice otherwise.
    The Munson is perfect as far as I can tell.

Are these and others like them worth getting graded? Again, my ultimate goal is to sell my collection.
    Stengy - I'm glad you posted. We can save you some grief. As a group, there is not much to grade there at all to be honest.

Brett would be a 4 with the stain, 6 without.
    Yount 6
    Best case on the other 3 is a straight 7 or an oc qualifier, all are oc low t/b and PSA kills minis for that.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    Ouch! I think I'm going to need a second Jameson's! Thanks for the feedback Mini. The cards look better with the naked eye, but again I have zero experience with grading. The Munson, however, is going to PSA sometime in the near future. If it doesn't grade as a straight 8 or higher Mini I'll consider any reasonable requests for cards I may have that you might want/need - no charge! I have some good cards...REALLY!
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More like a MINT card in a holder that says 10. With the white touches on the lower red and the print issues up top, that card comes back a 9 about 99% of the time.
  • This thread didn't have any action lately so I decide to rip 3 packs of minis tonight.

I'm new to the set, but spent some time last week getting caught up on this entire 80+ page thread. Great stuff!

I opened a pack the other week and pulled some sharp cards - my first minis ever. I decided this might be a pretty good box, so I opened a few more. Here's the best of the 3 packs I opened today.

Some notes:

Most of the white specs you see are from the scanner. The surface of these cards is amazing.
    The Cliff Johnson is measuring closer to 79 mm than 80 mm

I'm curious to know what folks thinks these would grade, especially the Brett. Is it too OC for a straight 8?

Thanks
    Ryan

UPDATED WITH GRADES:

Blue PSA 9
    Foote PSA 8
    Geronimo PSA 8
    C Johnson N6 min size
    Walker PSA 9
    Fitzmorris PSA 9
    R Smith PSA 8.5
    Cardenas (didn't end up subbing)
    1952 MVP PSA 9
    Brock PSA 8
    Gibson HL PSA 8
    Brett PSA 8
    Burleson PSA 9
    Meoli PSA 9
    Tanana N6 min size
    Sudakis PSA 8

Here's the best ones from the pack I opened last week.

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

Killer box. I'd rip em all at that point to be honest. Brett is more likely a 7 or an 8/9 oc. Still worth grading. I'd grade a bunch of em. Smith, Geronimo and Brock stand out, but there are more as well.

I had a big sub with a very small batch of minis pop today. My first run in with the Grader of Death in some time, unfortunately, it was on a 500 card pop. Just huge runs of 8s and almost no 10s. My eye for 80s 10s is very, very good. Well, today I hit 1 of 38 on 82 fleer from a vending case break. They are usually fairly lenient on print on early fleer as it all sucks, I have to guess he was looking at it as if it were 2013 Chrome. Great way to go broke...lol. My eye for oddball was good though, hitting 18/28 on 82 Kmart including a very rare Rose and Aaron.

Anyway, this minis were:

382 1 22708595 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 73 J.R. RICHARD Card
    383 1 22708596 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 77 RICHIE ZISK Card
    384 1 22708597 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 279 MILT MAY Card
    385 1 22708598 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 371 GATES BROWN Card
    386 1 22708599 MINT 9 1975 TOPPS MINI 430 LUIS TIANT Card
    387 1 22708600 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 458 ROSS GRIMSLEY Card
    388 1 22708601 N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1975 TOPPS MINI 514 JOSE CRUZ Card
    389 1 22708602 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 TOPPS MINI 612 TERRY HUGHES Card

1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • 1. Hey Ryan, I concur with Jim, nice cards, and that C. Johnson looks great! Very, very undervalued 8 that one. I believe there are less that 20 full-sized legit 8s as my best guess. The pop is down to 25 and I believe 2 of my 8s are short and will be destroyed at some point.
    Sorry to hear Jim.
    BTW I apologize to a few of you that I was going to root through and sell some 8s to complete your set. I hope to get on this, but I was entirely wiped out trying to sort all the cards I was selling off. My 1971 set sold for 108,000K! This was more than I hoped, but strangely, many low pop 9s (between 4-7 pop) sold for next to nothing in my opinion. Nevertheless, never look a gift horse in the mouth. The stars were on fire. The B. Robinson sold for 6K and the Morgan sold north of 1.7K (I cant remember exactly, but I know I bought it for only 700 and change a few months ago). On the other hand, many low pop 9s that I held for 5 years, with no pop increase in that time sold for about what I paid.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
    Bravo Henry! Busting a 752 card set individually is going to have some variability to it, if for no other reason that the people coming hard at the stars may have used their free money there, rather than the commons. You did great regardless.

There was a bright spot to my order today. It was the middle slice of a 1,500 card order broken into three 500s. The first batch has yet to pop and the last was very good. The first is the one I care about of the three. It is almost entire composed of very nice 72s, with a small portion of really nice 68 and 69. The last seven 72s were on the batch that popped today, all the highest numbers and those seven came back with five 8s and two 9s (784/786). I'll take that on 72 highs all day long. Now I only have one sub to click ten times a day on :-P
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    Some very nice cards in that group, Ryan! Brett has a shot at an 8. Brock looks Mint 9. Some other potential 9s in there, also--Blue (if the white mark on the baseball is not on the card), Geronimo (centered a bit low, but not too bad, and a tough card), Walker, Fitzmorris, Smith, Cardenas, 1952 MVPs. On a good day several of those will grade Mint 9.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    On the other hand, many low pop 9s that I held for 5 years, with no pop increase in that time sold for about what I paid.

Considering the atomic bids you'd put in for the cards you wanted, Henry, that sounds better than you think, LOL!

Congrats on the sales!

• Ok guys. Ripped 3 more packs. All I can say is WOW!

These cards are nicely centered and have amazing print. Got 19 more packs to go. These all might get ripped next week image

Take a look at the best of the last 3 packs. I think there's some sure fire 9s here. The Montague and Milbourne measure right and the Carew is sharp with just the lightest print marks on the top.

The Montague is amazing...and only a pop 2 in PSA 9 (no 10's). The centering and full sized aspects of the card are beautiful, just hope the back isn't plagued with 100/0 centering. The worst of the rear O/C cards, in my experience, have been the green/yellows like Bando, Grimsley and Cruz - but some of the tough red/yellows occasionally display that aspect as well.

Good luck on your submissions and future pack ripping!

• Agree it's very nice. Here's the back. 50/50

The Montague card looks gorgeous. I think that card has a very good shot at Mint 9, which would be a terrific feat. Only thing I can see slightly off about it is L/R centering, but it is within parameters for a PSA 9. Any "snow" on the surface? Centering on Milbourne is likely to keep it at a PSA 8, but even that is a strong card in that grade. Ryan looks 8-9ish as well, probably an 8 or an 8.5. Lots of very sharp cards in that group indeed!

Wow! Keep ripping and don't stop. I graded the second Montague 9 and it turned into an $1,100 card. The Ryan and carew are really nice as well. Fantastic rips, thanks for sharing.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • whiteymetwhiteymet Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Gentlemen:

I do not collect these 75 mini's. I am more of a 50's/60's collector, but my neighbor knocked on my door yesterday and handed me a box of 5 uncut sheets.

Two 1975 Basketball with Bing, Walton, Monroe and Maravich

Two 1975 Baseball One with Seaver, Yaz and McCovey, the other with Perry, Carew, Torre, Aaron, Killebrew, Gossage, Frank Robinson, Brock and Rookies of Carter and Rice

and finally...

One sheet of 1975 Topps Mini's with Ryan, Rose, Reggie Jackson, and Palmer. Checklist card lists numbers 397-528.

The mini sheet has some creases and edge wear.

What do I have here value wise??

Are these for ebay or one of the auction houses?

I want to help get my neighbor a fair price.

All help is appreciated.

Fred
  • Ok guys. Went ahead and ripped the remainder of the box. Scans will be posted shortly. This has got to be one of the nices boxes out there. Out of the 10 packs I opened tonight, I pulled 54 cards that I'm going to be submitting to PSA. This is on top of the other ones I pulled from the earlier packs. I'm basically subbing 55-60% of the cards from these packs. This is nuts! Stay tuned for the scans of some of the tougher cards from tonights rip session.

• Updated to add grades on 5/30/14
    --
    Here are the scans. Any spots or flecks you see are from the scanner. Would love to get some 2nd opinions on the grades for these.

These guys all measure 80mm
    Kusick PSA 8, Fregosi PSA 8, McEnaney PSA 8, Lockwood PSA 9

Gibson and Wise are a tad over 79mm. Got my 2nd Burleson
    Burleson (i subbed 2 one is PSA 8 the other is PSA 9) Etchebarren PSA 8, Wise and Gibson N6, just a tad too short.

The Perry is super nice and a tough card to find clean.
    Herrmann PSA 8 ST, Foote PSA 8, Perry PSA 8, Doyle PSA 8

Yount looks like an easy 9 to me. The top right corner is probably all that keeps this from being a 10.
    All of these came back PSA 8s

To the eye, the Gibson and Wise are too short to grade. The Etch seems to have a wicked stain on the lower left? Foote/Hermann/Doyle look low, though I would still grade them as they are expensive 8s and break even 7s (Foote a bit less so). The rest are going to do quite nicely, no downside to grading them at all and a lot of upside.

What I wouldn't give to know what case batch # that box came from. I would strongly think it is an oddball one off box from a long broken case. If Steve broke a case that looked like that, we would have known about it and been all over it long ago.

When I broke my case several years ago, I was able to grade roughly 1,500 of 4,000~ (call it 1600+ were ruined by water damage, all 4 bottom boxes+) and that was the best I had ever seen. It was a different case though as the Younts and Ryans were all OC and the Bretts were stunners.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • I don't know this history of this box, but it was the one that Steve opened back on Feb 15th. I bought one pack, saw how nice they were and bought the remaining 25. So I didn't get the entire box, but did well enough pulling the yount, brett, ryan and a bunch of these low pop guys.

The Gibson and Wise are definitely a little short. We'll see if they grade or come back N6.

Re: the Etch. I don't think the print spot is that inconsistent with other 9s. Here's one I found from a previous sale. Mine looks as good as this one.

• jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Ryan, those are some beautiflul minis!!
    Looks like that spot on the Etchebarren is on about 20% of them??
    Sighs... thanks for costing me a few hundred $$. I had no idea what you were talking about as all I saw was a big stain like glob. I use two monitors and my "chat" one is older and not as accurate. I just viewed the same thread on my good (Dell IPS 1900x1200) screen and see it is a fisheye, so time to pick up a matching panel...

That said, the Probstein Etch is a glitch. They almost never 9 that big fisheye, particularly not on a low pop, but obviously did in that case. Either way, the Etch is money in an 8 anyway, so like most of what you have shown, there is little downside to subbing most all of it.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
    That Etch should be an 8, imo.

• Just packed up a box with 75 1975 minis off to psa in the morning. Will be sure to post when the grades pop, but with 50 day turnaround it will be a while. I sent the yount and brett at a faster service level. Wish me luck!

<< <i>Just packed up a box with 75 1975 minis off to psa in the morning. Will be sure to post when the grades pop, but with 50 day turnaround it will be a while. I sent the yount and brett at a faster service level. Wish me luck! >>

Good luck, Ryan! You definitely will at least break even on those packs!