Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• Options
    Having brushed up on the market and the pops; it appears that during 2014 4SC did a second pass through the 25,000 raw lot minis they won in 2009 during the Conlon auction. This explains the jump in relatively common 8s with relatively few 9s. Once these are bought up - I do not see any further large movements in population.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    UGH! I just spotted a beautiful Schmidt PSA 9 from 4SC for 599.99 - I went to go get some coffee and then go through and grab it and it was GONE! Damnit!! Congrats to whomever snapped it up from right under my fingers, that is a great card - Hope it was one of you guys. I also noticed that a B. Robinson went for 600.00 a month ago (that is an absolute steal IMO)...and of course my Yount psa 10; thanks the bidder that took another Yount psa 10 to 12K image ... the current 9 at PWCC (which I consider weak for unspecified reasons) is already over 1000.00
    Minis haven't missed me at all this past year!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Henry is back~the sale prices are over!! LOL!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i> I also noticed that a B. Robinson went for 600.00 a month ago (that is an absolute steal IMO)...and of course my Yount psa 10; thanks the bidder that took another Yount psa 10 to 12K image ... the current 9 at PWCC (which I consider weak for unspecified reasons) is already over 1000.00
    Minis haven't missed me at all this past year! >>

The Brooks is mine! Here's where we had a conversation about it last month. thread

Super tough card. I agree Henry, a steal for $600. Glad to see you back in the mix. I've been getting out bid on more minis than usual. I think I know who to thank.

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I also noticed that a B. Robinson went for 600.00 a month ago (that is an absolute steal IMO)...and of course my Yount psa 10; thanks the bidder that took another Yount psa 10 to 12K image ... the current 9 at PWCC (which I consider weak for unspecified reasons) is already over 1000.00
    Minis haven't missed me at all this past year! >>

The Brooks is mine! Here's where we had a conversation about it last month. thread

Super tough card. I agree Henry, a steal for $600. Glad to see you back in the mix. I've been getting out bid on more minis than usual. I think I know who to thank. >>

Nice pick up Ryan, here is how I see the Mini B. Robinson - I believe the real (uncut) pop is around 7-9 probably closer to 7 than 9. I bought the 1971 B. Robinson psa 9 for around 3800.00 a couple years ago and I believe the pop for that card was 7 in a 9 and around 130 in an 8. However, even the 8s did not show up hardly ever (I am sure the real 8 pop is significantly lower as much of that is based on resubs).
    So IMO the B. Robinson mini in a 9 should be north of 1K with no idea how close to the 4K it should be relative to the 1971. I understand that the 1971 set is iconic; but the mini set is the only other set in this era that has truly HFT low pop cards.
    If another one comes up you can guess my snipe will be pretty high.
    As for the Schmidt; that pop of 33 is deceptively high. 20 were graded prior to 2009 (Conlon Collection) - Many of those were short. I destroyed two 9s that were short and I know of 5 other certs that are bad - so you can subtract at least 5 from that number. Damn I am still mad at myself for not immediately pulling the trigger. That card was only listed for a few hours at most image

Edit: here is an interesting card I mentioned before that I was tracking and trying to pick-up under the radar: J. Morgan #180.
    The pop just prior to the Conlon auction was 141 8s and 29 9s...today there are only 165 8s (including 8.5s) which mean only 25ish have been graded 8s since then! - Also, the 9s went from 29 to 35 but I had 4 really bad cut 9s and destroyed them all taking the population to 31. It has not moved since, so today it stands at 31 with a pretty high probability that several cut 9s are still out there and some of that 31 were probably resubs. I haven't seen the two 10s but I am guessing that they are both short. So Morgan has always been one of my high priorities - but it doesn't matter because I just don't see the card come up that often. Thoughts?...
  • Options
    DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    The epitome of 'buy the card not the holder'. Seeing that it's part of a PWCC auction means it will probably hammer at better than VCP, even if it is fugly.

Mechanical Error?
  • Options

<< <i>I just received the following grades this morning on the two Tommy Davis cards:

23741904 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 564 Tommy Davis Card
    23741905 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 564 Tommy Davis Card

I'll take a close look at the cards when I get them back, but in all likelihood, the PD (stray black/purple ink above Davis' head and the white flecks in his hair) held these two back. In my opinion, these are still some of the best examples of this card I've ever seen.

T. Davis is the last Mini I need for an all 8 or higher set. Last Friday morning, Joe's Vintage Sport Cards listed a recently graded T. Davis in PSA 8. Having submitted the above two, and somewhat confident that they would receive 8's, I didn't hit the BIN right away on Friday. Instead, I put the listing in my eBay "watch" list, with the plan that I would wait until the grades on the two popped and then hit the BIN on it if they pulled less than 8's. However, the next morning, I reconsidered my plan, came to my senses, and decided to hit the BIN on the Davis. I paid 160 bucks for it, but considering that card's difficultly and the good deal of both time, emotion, and money I've spent trying to sub an 8 (I'm now 0 for 9 or something like that on it), I decided to be done with it and purchase the card at that price. I'm super glad I did that.

So, despite the above grades, I end the year on high note. At the beginning of 2014, I needed somewhere in the neighborhood of 17 upgrades from 7 to 8; all were green/yellows and red/yellows. I planned on subbing most or all of them as I didn't think I would be able to compete for them on eBay if and when they came up. I also figured it would take me a few years to get there by finding and subbing raw. But, fortunately for me, Henry took a step back in early 2014, which opened the door for me as far as purchasing many of the 17. Thank you, Henry! Incidentally, this was another reason for me hitting the BIN on the Davis - I wanted to get it before Henry came back in 2015, lol.

But all kidding aside, I'd like to wish all of my fellow Mini collector's a Happy New Year! And Henry, you can come back now, lol. >>

Indeed that Rice is an atrocity...will probably hammer low and bring down VCP a bit...
    Hey Nick I just happened to read your post - Congratulations! I am very happy for you and yes, I guess it was good that I took a year off and good that you BIN'ed that Davis because I would have snapped it up as soon as I saw it lol image...so what is your goal now? 2nd set? - 8.50 through 9.00?
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    Hey Henry! Thank you. My goal with the registry set is to continue upgrading it as the opportunities present themselves. Over the last year, I've upgraded around 50 cards, including about 20 from 7 to 8, 20 from 8 to 9, and the rest from borderline 8 to stronger 8. There were three memorable upgrades in 2014: (1) a beautiful, full-sized PSA 8 Don Gullett from 4SC that had a $25 BIN - I found it after it had been listed for around 30 minutes and wasted zero time hitting the BIN on that one, (2) a richly colored, full-sized PSA 8 Will McEnaney 481 that had a BIN of $25 - same story as the Gullett in that the listing lasted no more than a few minutes, and (3) an average, but full-sized Craig Kusick 297 that was part of a PSA 8 Mini lot in an auction I won for around $25 with the shipping - that one flew under the radar for some reason. I have a feeling that the days of easier pickings, however, are now over. ;-)

I've dabbled a bit in other sets, but about all I have an interest in collecting today are Mini's. So, I'll continue to upgrade my set as well as purchase any low Pop's in 8 or 9 that come my way for a decent price. I really enjoy finding raw Mini's at card shows and submitting them; however, it has become increasingly difficult to find nice raw to submit. So we'll see how much of this part of the hobby I will actually engage in.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I agree that Rice isn't a good looker, but PWCC seems to get over-inflated prices on his auctions so I wouldn't be surprised if he got market value for that card.
  • Options
    On that Rice, it looks like they may have forgotten to enter the OC qualifier. I'm sure data entry errors happen sometimes.
  • Options

<< <i>On that Rice, it looks like they may have forgotten to enter the OC qualifier. I'm sure data entry errors happen sometimes. >>

+1

That card has been auctioned off on ebay at least 3 times in the past few months..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...That card has been auctioned off on ebay at least 3 times in the past few months.. >>

I'd be getting rid of it too...lol

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>On that Rice, it looks like they may have forgotten to enter the OC qualifier. I'm sure data entry errors happen sometimes. >>

+1

That card has been auctioned off on ebay at least 3 times in the past few months.. >>

Bingo! You nailed it Tim. This is the single issue that has held back the "perceived" value of minis - cards get bid up; then the crap shorts get dumped and bring the value back down. I don't look at VCP much anymore because it would just depress me. I looked for an example from last year and it didn't take long - the Winfield has about equal number of cut versus full 9s (one of the worst cards for this issue along with the Reggie 9). The Winfield 9 (full) was bid up to around 350-450 before I left; then one of the clear shorts was sold twice last year for 220ish. So the VCP shows this card at 220. image
    Same will happen with the Brett and Yount rookies...every time the prices begin to rise - people begin dumping the crap cut-cards.
    I am not sure how to resolve this - I will just keep buying up and destroying cut cards whenever I get a chance. In the meantime it makes it cheaper to accumulate nice cards.
  • Options
    Hey fellas - had a little mini poppage as part of a larger order I submitted last month. These were from the raw set I purchased back in November that came back N6 the first time I subbed them. All measured pretty close to 80 mm (like 79.75), so I tried again. Was really hoping for a 9 on the Milbourne, but happy with the 8 on that and Borgmann. Thought the Krausse was nicer than a 6. Here's scans of Milbourne and Krausse before they were slabbed.

EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1975 Topps Mini 603 Lew Krausse
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 512 Larry Milbourne
    NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 417 Skip Lockwood
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 127 Glenn Borgmann

• Options
    Nice pair of tough 8s there, Ryan. I have noticed that some of the slightly shorts that were previously N6'd are being holdered again.

• Options
    Tough break on the Milbourne. Great centering.

Did the Montague and Brown n6 again?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

<< <i>Tough break on the Milbourne. Great centering.

Did the Montague and Brown n6 again? >>

Depending on how it looks when I get it back, I might try a review. The gates and montague landed in 8s on the original sub.

• Options
    Great job, Ryan! And congrats on picking up that raw set, which was a really nice find.
  • Options

<< <i>Great job, Ryan! And congrats on picking up that raw set, which was a really nice find. >>

Post #2000! image
  • Options
    Post 2001 + around 4,000 on the other thread = 6,000 + give or take. That's worth a image
  • Options
    Haha! Congratulations MM! - I should have known you were going to bring out the heavy artillery on this one image
    I should have went total monster on the bid.
    Just like old times eh?

Radar PSA9 real pop 4
  • Options
    The last time I saw a #31 Dave Rader 75 Mini filling a PSA 9 (or PSA 10) holder was when I picked up the only PSA 10.
    That one was freakishly clear and without defect. Then this PSA 9 shows up in the PWCC auction. Some cards pops are
    very deceptive. This would be one of them. Though PSA shows there are 6 PSA 9's. There could be only a
    few that fill the holder and have centering like my 10, and like this most recent 9. Was expecting to be out bid by Henry?
    This was one of those cards that only comes around once every 5 years, maybe longer?
  • Options
    Haaaa Haaaa, Thanks Henry, definitely like old times! Was expecting you to be going well north
    on this one. Trade ya for your PSA 10 of #163 Brewer? 😎
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I just listed a #402 Bob Tolan PSA 9 on ebay. If anybody here needs it I'd go $200 dlvd on it, just pm me. Thanks.

Lee
  • Options
    You mean this bad-boy?

• Options
    Sweet card! The Brewer in 8 or higher is underrated, imo, in terms of the difficulty in finding one with decent centering, especially top to bottom. Nearly every one I've seen raw or graded has been centered low. That card in an 8 has sold for as little as 5 or 6 bucks in the last few months, which is crazy low conidering how tough it is. Nice find, Henry!
  • Options
    Thanks for the view of the Brew Henry. Yes the card definitely qualifies as you described! image
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet card! The Brewer in 8 or higher is underrated, imo, in terms of the difficulty in finding one with decent centering, especially top to bottom. Nearly every one I've seen raw or graded has been centered low. That card in an 8 has sold for as little as 5 or 6 bucks in the last few months, which is crazy low conidering how tough it is. Nice find, Henry! >>

Thanks guys, I have to be honest, I bought that Brewer the same time I acquired a perfect Singleton psa 10. I have to believe that these cards were sheet cut. I have looked at them very carefully and I cant tell - but I could care less because they are both great to look at and yes Nick - you are absolutely correct...it is incredibly hard to find this color combo centered t/b. The Brewer only has 4 legit full-sized 9s and I have locked up 3 of them. This is the only 10. There are only 49 psa 8s (I suspect the true number to be lower based on a few cut cards still floating with old flips and a few crack-outs looking for a 9). So it is definitely an under-valued card similar to the #245 Lolich (I have had an even harder time finding this card!).
  • Options
    Wanted to share a scan of a new addition to my set which I've been trying to find forever. Thanks to T. Allan, I've now got a minty fresh 9 Graig Nettles in the collection. Super pumped about this card.

I also just got these back from PSA. They were from the raw set I've been slowly subbing from. I also recently popped a PSA 8 Don Gullett from this set as well. Waiting for that one to get back to me.

Here's Mr. Milbourne and Mr. Borgmann.

• Options
    I recently picked up several nice raw minis from a few sources include some pack rips. Here's a sampling.

Would love opinions from you all on how these would grade out. Any 9s among the bunch? Will be getting these out when the next good special rolls around.

Feedback always appreciated!

• Options
    Ryan,

Some nice cards there! I think you have a shot at a 9 on the Aaron (if they don't ding you for the fisheye) and the Rice.

Tim

• Options
    Tim/Ryan, is the Rice slightly tilted?
  • Options
    Very nice cards, Ryan! My predictions are the following assuming no surface issues - Centering will keep Harrah, Taveras, and Schmidt at solid 7's. Ryan and Fisk are borderline 7/8 due to centering - I'll say 8 on Fisk and 7 on Ryan. Aaron and Beniquez are solid 8's. The combination of the fisheye and l/r centering on Aaron will probably limit it to an 8. The Rice looks like a solid 9 to me, and if the back is perfectly centered, you may even have a 10 there. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks Tim & Nick for the opinions. I measured the questionable ones and they all seem to fit within the "8" guidelines as far as centering goes. Re: the Rice. It's not tilted, just how it's sitting in the holder. That's a super sharp card with great centering f/b. The only flaw I can see is the tiniest chip on the right edge.

• Options
    I'm thinking 7s for Ryan and Taveras, 9 on the Rice, and 8s for the rest. Ask for NQs.

It would be nice if you could squeeze Fisk and Harrah into a 9, but I think centering t/b (oh so close) keeps you from it like Indy mentioned.

Fingers crossed on the Aaron hitting a 9.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Found a small lot of quality raw recently and am slowly grouping a few to send for grading...looking for opinions on these four. Some quick notes: all are 80mm, or slightly over; the backs of all four are perfect 50/50; I'll agree that the Borgmann is centered a little low T/B; the Cliff Johnson is the most centered, clean and full version I've ever held; pardon the hair on Driessen - its 60/40 or better L/R, but the registration is very clear; Hermann is one of those under the radar toughies, I'd be shooting for a 9 on it.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Dave

[URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/dakillo1/media/cards.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Here's a blacked out view if it helps; the top right corner of the Hermann is fine, its a crease or line in the penny sleeve.

[URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/dakillo1/media/cards2.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Hi Dave,

Those are nice cards but I don't see 9s on any of them~the top two corners are touched on the Driessen, the Johnson is centered a bit low T/B and has that crazing on top that is common to red/yellows plus some PD in the black behind ASTROS, the Borgmann is centered low T/B and has the fisheye and I think they will ding you for PD on the Hermann. I could see a couple of 8s here, but not 9s, imho.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Ryan, you believe the Taveras would grade w/o being OC? Just curious from your point of view as someone experienced with having many from this set graded. I have only had 5 of my collection of mini's graded and I have many cards centered like that one that in my mind seem OC to me. Thanks. Doug
  • Options
    Found a small lot of quality raw recently and am slowly grouping a few to send for grading...looking for opinions on these four. Some quick notes: all are 80mm, or slightly over; the backs of all four are perfect 50/50; I'll agree that the Borgmann is centered a little low T/B; the Cliff Johnson is the most centered, clean and full version I've ever held; pardon the hair on Driessen - its 60/40 or better L/R, but the registration is very clear; Hermann is one of those under the radar toughies, I'd be shooting for a 9 on it.

If your experience turns out to be anything like mine the last 2-3 years, I think it's very likely all four will receive 7's. I've submitted at least four Borgmann's with t/b centering exactly like yours, and all four received 7's. The top corners on the Driessen will very likely hold it to a 7. The PD on the Johnson and Hermann will likely hold those two to 7's.
  • Options
    I can see the Hermann getting an 8, but agree 7 is likely the highest on the others.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    I was fortunate enough to pick up a bunch of 75 mini packs recently, and opened a few of the rougher packs in search of some candidates for grading. Centering was a bit rough throughout these first 4 packs, but lots of star power, and this beauty was nestled inside one of the packs:

• Options
    Was almost as excited about the Stanley as I was pulling the Carter~unlike most I've pulled in the past, this one has near perfect registration and surfaces and measures up full-size to boot.

• Options
    Sharp Hamilton

Sharp but OC Rice

A pair of OC HOFers named Robinson, one from each of the first two packs:

I may have to open a couple more~now I know why I rarely rip~it's intoxicating, LOL!

• Options
    Congrats on some nice pulls, Tim! The Carter looks like a solid 9 to me. If it wasn't for the very small bit of white in the upper left corner, I'd say it would get a 10. The Stanley is at least an 8, and has a great shot at a 9. The Hamilton has to be a 10. That card is perfect!
  • Options
    Thanks, Nick! I agree spot on with your assessment~hope the grader does, too! image

• Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I'[d be a lot more excited about the Stanley and I don't mean that as a knock on the Carter at all. Nice rips Tim, Good luck!
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>I'[d be a lot more excited about the Stanley and I don't mean that as a knock on the Carter at all. Nice rips Tim, Good luck! >>

Jim sighting!!! What is up brother? I was going to email you soon.
    Nice cards everyone...I have been resorting all my cards and the recent purchases (around 1700 holders). Looks like Moon's Quantitative de-easing (part II) is going to happen sometime soon. You'll be shocked at the low pop 9s I'm gonna destroy. This will hurt image - but Id rather have a strong 8 than a short 9 that I know is cut or even if natural - wrong for the holder.
  • Options
    This will hurt - but Id rather have a strong 8 than a short 9 that I know is cut or even if natural - wrong for the holder.

Edited to say my question was answered after re-reading the post about "wrong for the holder."
  • Options

<< <i>This will hurt - but Id rather have a strong 8 than a short 9 that I know is cut or even if natural - wrong for the holder.

Edited to say my question was answered after re-reading the post about "wrong for the holder." >>

I know where you are going with that Nick, and every1 here knows my stand on this issue. IMO when we keep sending in short cards knowingly we are like a snake eating its own tail and basically we are justifying something we know is not correct.
    I'm gonna lose another 5-8K on short 10s that I would love to have in my collection but the cards are obviously short - how can PSA justify a 10 grade to a card that has a gap at the top? Basically that is 95% of the card. No way I can consider that valid. It is the same logic with the natural short 8s...every single short 8 gets destroyed as soon as it touches my hand.
    Trying to get that last .5mm measurement to send in is just ridiculous to me if the card is put next to a full-size card.
    I now have 7-12 full size copies in 8 or above of most of the red/yellows; green/yellows. Trust me, any short placed next to them looks like Hillary Clinton in a bikini to me.