Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official 1975 Topps Mini Thread

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Here's my latest 1975 Mini pickup. Couldn't resist buying it:

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Tony's 1975 Minis
  • Hey fellas-

Been pretty quiet around here lately... anyone still collecting these minis?

I scored a really nice raw complete set of minis recently that I got around to going through tonight. Some real beauties in here. You guys know how much I love the red/yellows. Here's a scan of a few of the toughies in the set. All these measure 80mm. Do I possibly have a second Montague PSA 9?

After going through the entire set, I've pulled out about 200 cards I think are worthy of grading (either worth it as an 8 or legit chance at a 9). I'm hoping to get these submitted next week. Will be sure to keep folks updated when I get the grades back.

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharp cards, Ryan! I saw these on the other forum~the Milbourne has strongest chnace at a PSA 9, imo.

I don't see Montague as a 9 with yellow strip and tilt. Brown is very nice but centered a bit low and likely an 8.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Did anyone see that a 1975 Topps Mini Robin Yount PSA 10 recently sold for $12,100 on the Bay?
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Jaw dropping that people will pay above market prices for a less than fulfilling card because it has the "dmitri" label...

Did anyone here win the Brett 9 that just sold for $3,500? It was mine that I broke down and sold early in the year. The buyer did well, amazing card.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • That Yount was unbelievable. The back scan shows some shortness in my opinion. How does the Forum think this BGS stacks up? (It's virtually impossible to get a nice photograph or scan of a BVG holder due to the insert sleeve, etc.)

I was just curious.

[URL=http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Tonysilvaone/media/5c45fcf5-7b07-4d0b-a719-082b34b77b52_zps539d3156.png.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Tonysilvaone/media/ScreenShot2014-11-10at54853PM_zps7f658c1f.png.html]image[/URL]
    Tony's 1975 Minis
  • The BVG example looks pretty nice. My PSA 10 is as fulfilling as they get. I'd sell it for $20K in a heartbeat, lol. Now we know there are at least 8 respectable examples image
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Had some of these just pop, figured I'd share:

1 1 23399139 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 564 Tommy Davis Card
    2 1 23399140 GEM MINT 10 1975 Topps Mini 60 Fergie Jenkins Card
    3 1 23399141 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 466 A's Do It Again! Card
    4 1 23399142 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 538 Duffy Dyer Card
    5 1 23399143 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 610 Ron Hunt Card
    6 1 23399144 MINT 9 1975 Topps Mini 120 Steve Busby Card
    7 1 23399145 MINT 9 1975 Topps Mini 301 Dave Roberts Card
    8 1 23399146 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps Mini 543 Larry Biittner Card
    9 1 23399147 MINT 9 1975 Topps Mini 615 Rookie Pitchers Card
    10 1 23399148 MINT 9 1975 Topps Mini 326 Wayne Twitchell Card
    11 1 23399149 MINT 9 1975 Topps Mini 217 Lou Piniella Card
    12 1 N8: MISCUT 1975 Topps Mini 491 Doyle Alexander Card
    13 1 23399151 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps Mini 317 Joe Lahoud Card
    14 1 23399152 MINT 9 1975 Topps Mini 573 Orlando Pena Card

Obviously the Jenkins is a big hit. Anything else here worth doing backflips over?
  • Indy78Indy78 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Nice sub overall! The Twitchell in a 9 is a huge hit also.

Edited to add that the 301 Roberts is another one that stands out. You did well.
    Good to know on the Twitchell. These actually aren't mine, I subbed them for a buddy who busted some packs. He did better than I ever have on minis.
    Terrific mini sub there on a small sample! Twitchell is a solid one and tough to find mint.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Twitch is a beast, especially full sized. Roberts used to be a monster, but became much more plentiful. Still a good hit.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    Here's a decent Joe Lis from the BST forum - Joe Lis Mini - PSA 9

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a decent Joe Lis from the BST forum - Joe Lis Mini - PSA 9 >>

Darn it...didn't get my bid in on time!
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭
    Just watched the box break video and then checked out the grades from the box. It is obvious that the guy has no idea what he is doing. After seeing him take a $3000 bath from the box and then to see him grade out the cards. My stomach hurts for him.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just watched the box break video and then checked out the grades from the box. It is obvious that the guy has no idea what he is doing. After seeing him take a $3000 bath from the box and then to see him grade out the cards. My stomach hurts for him. >>

It seems like it was a box break set-up as he calls out to different people when he goes through the packs and grades. I'm sure the owners just told him to submit their cards, not really knowing that just because they came directly from a pack, it doesn't mean they're mint.
  • That Joe Lis was to good to be true! I've been off the grid for awhile, decided to check out the Bay and found that card with a very low bid? I put up a bid just a bit over the existing bid and figured I'd never actually win. I already have a very nice looking PSA 9. Think this one just might be a bit better? I know that there are several PSA 9's of this card that don't fill the holder, so that Pop 13 statement on the auction is a bit misleading for both the seller and some buyers image
    Without Henry propping up prices lol, the market for 75 minis has cooled a bit in recent months..

• Great time to be a buyer! image

• Speaking of being a buyer. I saw this one pop up on the bay earlier in the week and realized this is probably the nicest Brooks I've ever seen. This one is fills the holder, centered perfectly (not low like several of the other 9s), and doesn't have any of the noticeable yellow fish eyes in the red border. I had a thermo nuclear snipe set for this one and ran into some competition at the end, but I wasn't going to let this one get away.

Can't wait to have it in hand next week. Until then, here's an image from the eBay listing.

That is one tough Mini in a 9, and that example is probably the best I've ever seen. You're spot on as far as the problems with the Robinson, generally. If it's not off center top to bottom, then there's snow in the photo or there is stray yellow ink bleeding into the red and/or fisheyes. That card has none of those problems. Nice job and congratulations on the pick up!
    I had that one on my watch list, Ryan~a beautiful card.

On that note, I'd also like to thank Nick (Indy78) for helping me to fill the #50 hole in my mini set with this beauty:

Obviously not as nice as the 9, but at less than 1/10 the price, I can't complain! image

Lol! You're welcome, Tim.

I replaced that 8 with another one that I found raw at a card show in October. Although it's not as nice as that 9, it's close.
  • That's a super sharp 8 Tim. Yeah, I went a little overboard with my purchase, but that card was calling my name. When you compare the populations of some of these hof minis with an equally if not tougher set, 1971, I think these low pop minis are extremely undervalued. The 71 Brooks has 11 grades 8.5 or higher of a total 591 subs. The 75 mini has 12 graded 9 and one 10. At least 3 of those 9s are cut short cards so the true population is much lower. I know percentage wise the 71s are far tougher than the minis in landing in high grade, but with psa 9 71 brooks going for 6k, I feel like I got a relative bargain with my mini.

The other major variable here is the number of collectors actively going after each set. 71s have the minis beat here. I do think we are in a bit of a lull until some new collectors discover this set and attemp the challenge of building an ultra high grade set. It just takes two to drive the prices up. I'm confident we'll get there again soon. That's why I'm buying now while the competition is a little lighter.

• While the market for 75 Topps Mini's hasn't fallen to 2004-2007 levels..... it definitely has cooled. I don't believe it's due to lack of interest. There just isn't enough product at the high end to get those collectors active 24/7.
    It's disappointing to miss out on that #50 Brooks Robinson PSA 9. I'm just not willing to put in the time to monitor the Bay for a random card that shows up every 3-6 months at this point. Congrats to Ryan on getting the 3 Right's! (place, time, bid) image
    That's a super sharp 8 Tim. Yeah, I went a little overboard with my purchase, but that card was calling my name. When you compare the populations of some of these hof minis with an equally if not tougher set, 1971, I think these low pop minis are extremely undervalued. The 71 Brooks has 11 grades 8.5 or higher of a total 591 subs. The 75 mini has 12 graded 9 and one 10. At least 3 of those 9s are cut short cards so the true population is much lower. I know percentage wise the 71s are far tougher than the minis in landing in high grade, but with psa 9 71 brooks going for 6k, I feel like I got a relative bargain with my mini.

Ryan, I think you and Minimaster are spot on with your analyses. There is a glut of 400-500 different high grade (8+) Mini's on eBay now giving the perception that the set is on the down swing. But, what I see that is different from a few years ago is that the lowest of the low Pop's in 8 or higher are not regularly for sale anymore. I'm talking about cards like Tanana, Giusti, Driessen, F. Stanley, T. Davis, J. Montague, R. Burleson, and the like. Although I bought a nice full-sized Giusti in an 8 back in June, that card was in an older flip. I can't remember the last time I saw a freshly graded, full-sized Giusti in 8 or higher. How about Cliff Johnson? I can remember two in 8 or higher in the last year, and only one of those was full-sized (I bought one slightly undersized from a board member here in August). Same with Driessen, Stanley, Montague, and others.

I think what all this means is that unless folks start selling their graded sets and/or low Pops or start opening packs and grading those cards (not likely, given how valuable unopened packs have become), it's going to get more and more difficult to build a graded set in all 8 or higher. A year or so ago, I think it was MiniDuff who mentioned that building the set in all 8 or higher could be done in about 2 years. I completely agreed with him. However, I'm starting to see that things have changed now. I think it's going to take much longer, because the product is just not there anymore. And, we've already heard in this thread how this is frustrating collectors who would like to complete the set in 8 or higher, but can't, because many of the 8's aren't available. I also wonder if this difficulty is scaring potential new collector's of the set in 8 or higher away.

Anyway, these are just a few of my thoughts on the state of the set right now. It really is a great set to collect, and I hope more will come along and start collecting it. It doesn't have to be done in all 8 or higher to be a really nice set. Even in 7's, these cards can look really good.
  • That was me that sold you the Cliff Johnson PSA 8 back in the summer, Nick. That was one of the cards that I pulled from the 3/4 unopened box that I purchased from BBCE which yielded the PSA 9 Montague, Burleson, Lockwood, and Carew along with a bunch of other tough red/yellows in PSA 8.

Man, that was quite a rip, but you're absolutely right, it is cost prohibitive to do that now. Unless you hit a freak box like I did, you're not going to cover your investment in the packs. Last April when I bought the box, I paid $67 a pack which came out to about $1750 for the remainder of the box. Once I ended up paying grading fees for the cards I subbed, I was looking at another $800 on top of this. So I was $2500 into the set with 125 graded cards (mostly 8s & 9s) including some of the heavy hitters called out above in addition to PSA 8s of Yount & Brett that also came from this box. Turns out I did just fine, but the quality of the cards that I pulled from these packs were a rarity. I'm not sure what percentage of "good" unopened boxes remained compared to the typical o/c junk I see most people rip, but I'm sure it's low.

I've taken another route to try to find quality cards to upgrade my set - purchasing raw sets or lots. The jury is still out on how successful I'll be going this route. I picked up a super sharp mostly raw set (50 graded PSA 8s) last month that I subbed about 200 cards under the November CC special. I posted scans of a few of these a couple of weeks back. I'm hopeful this submission will yield some additional 9s and some of the tougher 8s. I also purchased a 200 ct raw lot that I saw on eBay over the weekend. Photos weren't great, but the description promised "pack fresh" with most being nm-mt to mint. We'll see how I did there when I get the cards later this week.

What I'd really love to see is Henry get back into his hoarding habits. It at least makes the auctions a little more interesting. image Maybe he'll come out of retirement in 2015 after his self imposed hiatus.

Yes, I remember, Ryan. Thanks again - I'm glad to have that card.

My approach with buying raw Mini's online is to selectively pick up singles and small lots. I've had very little success with purchasing raw sets, partial sets, or large lots online as far as getting quality cards. Some guys have a knack for it, like MiniDuff, but not me. Good luck with that 200-ct lot. A few of the low pop's I saw in the auction photos look very promising.
    Any idea what a low pop (pop 2) common psa 10 would yield these days?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

<< <i>Any idea what a low pop (pop 2) common psa 10 would yield these days? >>

Depending on eye appeal and player, I would estimate $450-$500.

Elias Sosa. I'll try to get a decent scan posted before the weekend is over.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• << <i>Hey fellas-

Been pretty quiet around here lately... anyone still collecting these minis?

I scored a really nice raw complete set of minis recently that I got around to going through tonight. Some real beauties in here. You guys know how much I love the red/yellows. Here's a scan of a few of the toughies in the set. All these measure 80mm. Do I possibly have a second Montague PSA 9?

After going through the entire set, I've pulled out about 200 cards I think are worthy of grading (either worth it as an 8 or legit chance at a 9). I'm hoping to get these submitted next week. Will be sure to keep folks updated when I get the grades back. >>

Just had some grades pop for one of submissions that happened to include these 4 cards. Can't say I'm super excited by the results. Lots of 8s and more 7s than 9s. Make me happy that I split the sub into two. Still waiting on the other 125 card sub to pop. Overall split on the 65 cards that came back with a grade is below. I thought it would be interesting to compare my breakdown to the broader population report of all minis graded.

6 9s (9%) (18% for all in pop report)
    5 8.5s (8%) (23% for all in pop report)
    30 8s (46% (55% for all in pop report)
    15 7s (23%) (17% for all in pop report)
    3 9OC (3%) (2% for all in pop report)

I think it's safe to say I either missed something or received some rather harsh grades compared to the normal submission.

The Montague and Gates Brown graded as PSA 8s and the Milbourne and Krause came back N6 (min size). I swore both of those measured up before I sent them in. I ended up getting several N6s that I'm going to have to take a closer look at when they get back.

No super tough 9s, but in addition to these two I also got grades of PSA 8 on Jose Cruz, Carew, Fred Lynn, Killebrew, Catfish, Joe Morgan, Carlton, and Munson. Also received an 8.5 on a Tom Seaver that I thought had a great shot at a 9.

Hoping the second batch gets some better treatment from the graders image

Congrats on the Montague and G. Brown in 8's. Those are really difficult to find in 8 and higher.

Your percentage comparison is interesting, although I'm not sure really what it says about the strictness of the grader. Cards picked for submissions are not random, and not every card is submitted with the intent of receiving an 8 or 9, so I'm not sure one can use the population report in determining whether or not their submission was strictly graded. Another way of looking at it is that assuming you thought all 65 of those cards would grade 8 or higher, the grader agreed with you on 41 of the 65 or about 60 percent of your submission. And really, you almost have to throw out the N6's, because their condition was never assessed. If you do that, the grader agreed with you on 41 of 59 cards being 8 or higher, or about 70 percent of your submission. I don't have any hard evidence, but that 70-percent "success rate" seems like a fairly typical submission for those who have experience with submitting Mini's.

In any event, good luck with the rest of your submission, and again, congrats on receiving 8's on some tough/valuable Mini's.
    Ryan, looks like a tougher sub at first glance, but actually not bad at all, considering how tough some of those cards are in 8 or better. I had the Montague pegged as an 8, and actually thought the Brown would be closer to a 7, so I think you did quite well there.

After searching a couple of years for a nice PSA 8 Brooks Robinson #50, I bought a very pleasing example from Nick last week. Well, wouldn't you know it~my small sub which included a few minis I had set aside over the years just came back from PSA, and here is another very nice 8, lol...also got a couple other tougher 8s--#512 Milbourne and #229 Foote, and a 7--#345 Carroll.

• Just got my cards back from PSA and wanted to post a few scans for the group. Just a reminder, all these minis came from a raw set I picked up on eBay last month. I'm pretty happy with these coming back as 8s. All are upgrades for 7s that I had in my set.

Some additional nice star power. I was really hoping for a 9 on the Seaver.

I felt like all of these had a legit chance at an 8. They are all centered a bit low, but in 8 range, right? The Cliff Johnson has a little bit of surface snow, but not enough to keep it from an 8 IMO. What do you guys think, should I crack and resubmit?

Last but not least, I received the PSA 9 Brooks Robinson in the mail the other day. Here's a clear scan of that card. I love having this one in the set!

I felt like all of these had a legit chance at an 8. They are all centered a bit low, but in 8 range, right? The Cliff Johnson has a little bit of surface snow, but not enough to keep it from an 8 IMO. What do you guys think, should I crack and resubmit?

I totally agree on the Johnson. I would crack and resubmit that one in a heartbeat. I would also try the Giusti again; it looks like it could squeeze into an 8.

I've never had luck on a Borgmann centered that low t/b. That is one of the few Mini's that IMO looks good centered low, but I always get a 7 on those. The centering in both directions on the Driessen will keep it at a 7 IMO.

That Robinson is hands down the best example I've ever seen. Nice pickup!
    I'm guessing the printing issue in the top red borders are keeping the Johnson, Driessen, and Giusti in the 7s. Nice lot. The Brooksie does look great.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

Here's a shot of the Elias Sosa 10. Sorry for the lopsided photo.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

I always enjoy when you all share your raw cards that you are getting ready to submit, so I thought I would do so here with my latest submission. I picked this bunch up over the last 6 months or so, mostly on eBay. I'm really excited about the two Tommy Davis cards, especially because this is the last card I need to complete my registry set in all 8 or better. All of these cards have minor print defects; however, I have recently-graded cards in my set in 8's that have similar PD. For this reason, I feel like I have a 50-50 chance of getting 8's on any one of them. These will be going to PSA soon using my 6-free subscription renewal certificate. I pray that the grader who looks at these will be having a great day and be in generous mood when this batch passes their grading table, lol.

The top left TD looks great. I think you have a winner.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Hey Nick -

I spent the better part of my first two years in this set as a "chaser" of Tommy D cards. Ultimately that quest ended after numerous submissions resulted in numerous 7's. Based on your scan, though, it may be better than 8 on a good day. You don't show it, but how is the reverse? This card, along with several other green/yellows (esp. Bando, Cruz and Grimsley) all seem to struggle to meet the 90/10 threshhold.

That stray black ink (while very minor compared to most Tommy Davis cards) is sometimes all it takes to extract a PD qualifier.

Wishing the best for your sub!

Dave

Thanks guys!

Hi Dave,

I know what you mean about the T. Davis. I've submitted maybe 6 or 7 over the last 3-4 years and have received 7's on every single one. It's a tough, tough card. If I have to, I'll submit these 2-3 times before giving up.

The backs look good.

<< <i>The top left TD looks great. I think you have a winner. >>

Agree~that's got to be an 8, imho. Good luck, Nick!

I finally landed a PSA 8 TD a few weeks ago from Matt.

• Nice cards nick! I'd say you have a good shot at 8s on several of these. The two I think won't get past 7 are the Carroll (centering) and montague (centering plus pd). Good luck on the sub!

• DakilloDakillo Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Here's hoping you get the generous grader that gave me these earlier this year (note the cert numbers...had to be the same grader). The short, PD'd 8 on the left makes the example on the right look more like a 9.

[URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/user/dakillo1/media/Taveraspair.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    Thanks for your help guys. I decided that out of those six, I 'm going to just send in the two Davis cards and save my voucher for later. The odds of the rest getting 8's in combination with their value in 8's just doesn't warrant using the voucher for those.
    Just an update for those that like to keep track of pricing: I was able to get $250 for the Twitchell 9 and $180 for the Dave Roberts 9 for my friend who subbed them through me. Even without Henry's action I think the minis are doing well.

Lee

<< <i>Just an update for those that like to keep track of pricing: I was able to get $250 for the Twitchell 9 and $180 for the Dave Roberts 9 for my friend who subbed them through me. Even without Henry's action I think the minis are doing well.

Lee >>

Congrats on the sales, Lee! It's been two years since a full-sized example of either one of those cards were sold according to VCP, so it's nice to see them command strong prices.