Home Sports Talk
Options

SF Giants 2013 off-season thread: SF add OF Mike Morse for 1 yr/ $6m

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Saw this little blurb on the ESPN power rankings:

"Over his past nine starts, Tim Lincecum has a 3.64 ERA -- which includes a blow-up eight-run start against the Reds -- and has held batters to a .212/.265/.373 line with a 69/14 SO/BB ratio in 59 1/3 innings. He's certainly helping his contract status for next year." >>

With the rotation as it is, I really can't see the Giants letting him walk.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Brandon Belt was named the NL Player of the Week.

It's feast or famine with that guy.

• Options

<< <i>Some classy Giants fan threw a banana at Adam Jones on Sunday. >>

The guy came forward and explained his actions, saying he wasn't being a racist and was just throwing food that he got his hands on in disgust at the Giants.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Some classy Giants fan threw a banana at Adam Jones on Sunday. >>

The guy came forward and explained his actions, saying he wasn't being a racist and was just throwing food that he got his hands on in disgust at the Giants. >>

Riiiiiiiiiiight...

• Options

<< <i>The guy came forward and explained his actions, saying he wasn't being a racist and was just throwing food that he got his hands on in disgust at the Giants. >>

Riiiiiiiiiiight... >>

The guy didn't have to come forward. Guy could have kept his mouth shut and stayed anonymous forever. Giants made it public that security footage was inconclusive in terms of IDing the thrower.

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The guy came forward and explained his actions, saying he wasn't being a racist and was just throwing food that he got his hands on in disgust at the Giants. >>

Riiiiiiiiiiight... >>

The guy didn't have to come forward. Guy could have kept his mouth shut and stayed anonymous forever. Giants made it public that security footage was inconclusive in terms of IDing the thrower. >>

I couldn't agree more. The guy who threw it didn't have to voluntarily put himself out there, as there was no way they could ID who it was, but he did. The guy was angry at the team's poor play, and they were in the process of getting hammered 10-2.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It's unfortunate that the Bay Area baseball suckage has spread from China Basin to the East Bay.

As of today Barry Zito cleared waivers. Apparently no other team feels they're not giving up enough run to their opponents.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Brandon Belt's really taking off though after apparently seeing the light about listening to the coaches.

Belt's gotten red hot before though, so we'll see if this sticks. He's looking good in the 3 hole right now though. If he continues to develop, the skys the limit!

• Options
    Unless he does what Goldschmidt has done at the plate, Belt will still be seen as an underachiever who isn't fulfilling the hype that surrounded him when he landed on the roster. He has been hitting better but he's still way behind Goldschmidt in the productivity race.

As for the other first baseman Brett Pill, his current big league stint has exactly followed the trajectory of his other previous stints on the roster. When he gets called up he starts out with a bang then it's all downhill from there. This time it's no exception. The first two games he was great but now it's nothing. He's what writers call an AAAA player: someone who excels in the minors but is unable to play at a major league level. For most of last season and a good part of this season Belt also resembled a AAAA player.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Hey, look at that, Brandon Belt now leads the Giants in homers this season.

As a TEAM, the Giants have hit 9 homers since the All Star Break, and Belt owns 5 of those.

The other 4 belong to Crawford (2), Posey (1), and Pill (1).

• Options
    Editing the above, as the Giants managed to get a homer with those pesky RISP....

As a TEAM, the Giants have hit 10 homers since the All Star Break, and Belt owns 5 of those.

The other 5 belong to Crawford (2), Posey (1), Pill (1), and Sanchez (1).

• Options
    Wait, they actually won after coming from behind in the late innings? If I weren't out of the state right now I'd go to the victory parade.
  • Options
    Andres, centerfielder for the San Francisco Giants.

• Options
    One of the worst teams in the majors now going up against one of the best teams in the majors with an explosive offense. What could possibly go wrong there?
  • Options
    Maybe if the Giants get killed enough, they'll turn into zombies and start infecting the teams they play against.

• Options
    Another night of garbage baseball and breaking opposing pitchers out of a rough streak. So what else is new?

Too bad for Lester Bochy decided to put Torres in the lineup. If Torres wasn't around he might've had a no-hitter.
  • Options
    So, is 2013 numbers the "identity" summary for the guys playing for the Giants? Can any of this be written off as "one bad year" or has every other year been a "lucky" year?

Is Lincecum always going to be a 4.53 era or worse pitcher?
    Has Cain been re-defined as a 4.35 era pitcher?
    Is Buster Posey and his .221 2nd half avg the REAL Posey?

Notice that Brett Pill played Left Field today for 4 innings? He's out of options next year, so the Giants have the luxury of a lost season to try some experiments.

• Options

<< <i>So, is 2013 numbers the "identity" summary for the guys playing for the Giants? Can any of this be written off as "one bad year" or has every other year been a "lucky" year?

Is Lincecum always going to be a 4.53 era or worse pitcher?
    Has Cain been re-defined as a 4.35 era pitcher?
    Is Buster Posey and his .221 2nd half avg the REAL Posey?

Notice that Brett Pill played Left Field today for 4 innings? He's out of options next year, so the Giants have the luxury of a lost season to try some experiments. >>

Lincecum...we thought he was headed on the right track, especially given this season is his contract season but his last two games have proven otherwise.
    Cain...he's been pretty good lately. If only his team could give him run support. Good thing he's got a calm, casual demeanor. Other pitchers would've gone postal in the clubhouse years ago.
    Posey...I'm thinking he's better than a .221 hitter. We simply don't know if his 2010 and 2012 seasons were the norm or flukes.
    Pill...every time he's called up he starts out with a bang then rolls straight down hill from there and this time it's no exception.

I still believe the motivation for keeping this team intact now is strictly for financial reasons. Keep the team together (even if they're in last place) gives fans the illusion that they're still in it and trying. Therefore people will still buy expensive tickets, attend games and buy merchandise. Trade Lincecum and Pence and 60% of the 2012 fan base jumps ship. The Bay Area isn't in the same league as SoCal or Miami in bandwagonism but we're no slouches either. Walk around the Bay Area in the last two months you easily notice the amount of A's apparel being worn around town has grown by at least 20-fold.
  • Options
    An interview with Boch reveals that he's been losing his cool more often in front of his team...
    article

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Brandon Belt was named the NL Player of the Week.

It's feast or famine with that guy. >>

Was it a new grip or batting stance for Belt or something he just wasn't doing that he had done before?

I've been out of the loop listening on the radio.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Brandon Belt was named the NL Player of the Week.

It's feast or famine with that guy. >>

Was it a new grip or batting stance for Belt or something he just wasn't doing that he had done before?

I've been out of the loop listening on the radio. >>

Yeah, new grip on the bat, new way of standing in the box or something.

Either way, he's on an 0-10 skid right now.

• Options
    Some roster moves today....

Coming up.... Mike Kickham and Jean Machi....

Going down...
    Chad Gaudin to the 15 day DL with carpal tunnel (apparently his groping style wasn't ergonomically correct)
    Jeff Francoeur DFAed.

There was really no reason to keep Francoeur around with the season as it is.

With Gaudin hurt, Barry Zito is returning to the rotation, and is scheduled to pitch in tomorrow's blowout loss..

• Options
    Gaudin down with carpal tunnel? You just can't make tha stuff up, can you? He's gotta remember to not rest his wrist on a rail or table when he's playing Dr Feelgood with an unconsenting partner.

With Frenchy gone, is it going to be Torres or Blanco who picks up the slack of grounding out four times a game?

Was calling Kickham up a way of making Zito not look as bad in the eyes of the fans?

Tonight they'll get destroyed at home again. Tomorrow they'll really get destroyed. But it's good news for those going to the game tomorrow...they can catch the early train home when the score hits 9-0 by the 2nd inning.

I've been in SF all day but I'm not going to the game. Amazing how far reaching the Red Sox bandwagon is after a few years on hiatus.
  • Options
    Dude, just add a new post, don't keep editing your previous ones hours after your first post it.

Anyways, "7 strong for Vogelsong!" Haven't gotten to say that all year. He almost got stuck with a hard-luck loss, but the Sox bullpen told the Giants "Here, we don't want this win, you take it."

If Voggy keeps this up, it'll be pretty automatic: the Giants will pick up his option for next year. $6.5 mil is still pretty cheap when considering how much a FA is gong to cost.

• Options
    When the season is going the way it's going you take any type of win you can get. Christmas must've come early at AT&T because tonight's game came gift wrapped courtesy of the home plate umpire. That fourth ball to Scutaro was really a strike. Even Scutaro thought it was a strike. Like I've stated before in many games it seems the only way the Giants can score runs is when their opponents walk in runs or commit errors. Good thing Voge calmed down after the first inning, an inning that they were really, really lucky to get away with giving up only one run.

With Zito pitching tomorrow I'm still convinced they'll get destroyed.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Dude, just add a new post, don't keep editing your previous ones hours after your first post it. >>

He could just repost the same thing over and over, it's always the same song from him.

<< <i>If Voggy keeps this up, it'll be pretty automatic: the Giants will pick up his option for next year. $6.5 mil is still pretty cheap when considering how much a FA is gong to cost. >>

For sure, and decent starting pitching is next to non existent on the open market anymore. Teams are way too smart to let quality pitching hit the open market anymore.
  • Options
    Zito's still a better pitcher at home with an insane split: 3.01 era, 1.340 whip at home, 9.07 era, 2.261 whip on the road.

The Sox don't seem to like left-handed pitching and don't hit as well on the road. So.... maybe this won't be a total mess....

• Options
    Bobby Evans just said on KNBR that the team is probably going to call up Ehire Adrianza in September to see what he can do in the majors. He's a light-hitting shortstop, and would be a backup at best. He's in AAA right now and he'll be on his last option in 2014. He also said that the team is likely to call up Heath Hembree as well, since he's already going to get added to the 40-man roster before this year's Rule 5 draft.

• Options
    So in other words other than Brown and a few very young pitchers there isn't a single viable prospect in the entire organization. Oh boy...

Zito pitched well this afternoon. He only gave up 6 ER in 3.2 IP pitched which is less than the 9 runs he was expected to give up.
  • Options

<< <i>Zito's still a better pitcher at home with an insane split: 3.01 era, 1.340 whip at home, 9.07 era, 2.261 whip on the road.
    The Sox don't seem to like left-handed pitching and don't hit as well on the road. So.... maybe this won't be a total mess.... >>

Ehh, or not.

<< <i>Zito pitched well this afternoon. He only gave up 6 ER in 3.2 IP pitched which is less than the 9 runs he was expected to give up. >>

Boch pulled him too early. He could have totally done that.

• Options

<< <i>So in other words other than Brown and a few very young pitchers there isn't a single viable prospect in the entire organization. Oh boy... >>

No, Evans was talking about guys who need to be added to the roster to protect them from the rule 5 draft. Basically, anyone drafted in 2010 and earlier are at-risk of getting poached by other teams in the Rule 5. Gary Brown is another guy who's probably going to get added to the roster... unless they gave up on him.

Giants have a few position players who look like they're developing well, but are not MLB ready right now and don't need Rule 5 protection.

• Options
    Didn't realize guys like Hembree are already becoming Rule 5 eligible. Guess it's a good thing there are a few position prospect who look like they might pan out but as you said they are years away.

And on cue Mike Kickham comes in and gives up a half dozen more runs. I guess Zito isn't the worst pitcher we've seen today.
  • Options

<< <i>And on cue Mike Kickham comes in and gives up a half dozen more runs. I guess Zito isn't the worst pitcher we've seen today. >>

Kickham might have a future as a short reliever. His stuff is nasty for 1 inning, then starts to decline in the 2nd inning, but by the 3rd he's throwing BP.

• Options

<< <i>And on cue Mike Kickham comes in and gives up a half dozen more runs. I guess Zito isn't the worst pitcher we've seen today. >>

Kickham actually did better than Zito. Got an extra out, gave up fewer hits and 1 less earned run.

• Options
    More roster moves!

Torres to the DL for either bone-spurs or a strained Achilles.
    Kickham kicked back to Fresno.

Called up from Fresno: Nick Noonan and Francisco Peguero.

Noonan's been struggling in Fresno since his got sent down last month, hitting .223/.308/.309.
    Peguero's been hitting .330/.362/.420 in Fresno since coming back from a concussion that sidelined him for a month back in June.

• Options
    Crap. Cain took a liner off his wrist and is out of the game.

• Options
    With or without Cain they were losing this game. He was in the process of getting lit up. Getting hit in the arm probably ended up saving him from humiliation.

Now it's not making a difference who's in the lineup or who isn't. Shuffle all they want but the end result is all the same...a loss.

I think it was CSN that brought up the debate of whether or not they can win 62 games this year. Not many people are so sure.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it was CSN that brought up the debate of whether or not they can win 62 games this year. Not many people are so sure. >>

So you think they'll do worse than 6-30 for the rest of the year?

They're actually 15-21 in their last 36 games. It still sucks, but saying they'll go 5-31 is as absurd as saying they'll forfeit the rest of the season and shut down all their players.

• Options
    The 100 loss thought was brought up by CSNBA, not me but it's worth thinking about for a second. They'll go better an 6-30 but probably not by much. The 15-21 record included playing against teams like Miami and Philly, which isn't saying much.
  • Options
    Matt Cain to the DL.

I usually keep my phone handy so I can check the score of any active Giants game. Last night, I was not so compelled to worry about it and just checked the score on-line before I went to bed.

I think I've begun the checking-out process.

I noticed that Game 1 of the 1989 NLCS is on Youtube. Awesome game. Jump ahead to 1:21:20 for some epic Giants history. Will Clark reads Greg Maddux's lips and destroys him.

BOOM

• Options
    WTCG's favorite pitcher Mike Kickham just got called back up!

• Options
    I just drove to Reno and back today and just got back home 10 minutes ago. I haven't been online at all since this afternoon and didn't listen to any radio at all. I'll refrain from checking scores for now but let me predict what happened tonight. Tell me if I am right...

Giants lose. Final score was 6-1.
    Bumgarner was cruising until he made a key mistake in the late innings. He either gave up a bases clearing double or homer. Besides that he pitched well.
    After Bumgarner leaves the bullpen gives up a few more runs for good measure.
    Giants scored their run on a sac fly or force out.
    Posey went 1-4 with a single.
    Blanco went 0-4 with a few strikeouts?
    The fielding was sloppy.

So before I check scores or turn on the news, did I nail it?
  • Options
    Kershaw would have a hard time winning with this offence behind him.

The 3 run shot that Bum gave up was on a pitch that was down and in around the knees that he golf-swung over the left field wall. I didn't realize that Barmes had a Sandoval-ish strike zone.

• Options
    After checking the stats on last night's game it looks like I was right more than not. Amazingly the bullpen didn't give up a few runs just for the hell of it and the team's only run came on a fluke error-ish play reminiscent of the Giants' infield. And yep, Bumgarner was cruising before making his big mistake.

After checking all scores it looks like there will not be any October baseball on either side of the bay.
  • Options
    Giants got a win today, in a game where the pre-game chatter was pretty much how Francisco Liriano was going to trash the Giants.

Best way to summarize what happened in this game would be to envision Liriano being swarmed by angry chickens and pecked to death on the mound in the 1st.

• Options
    Remember back when the
    Giants
    were
    totally
    awesome?

Screw 2013.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I gotta ask...what are you gonna do when Monday, Sept 30th comes and the season is over? Do you just shift over to the 49ers?

Tough season for your team, maybe next year things will gel better. Never give up hope...review the incredible and I do mean INCREDIBLE comeback the Red Sox made in the '04 playoffs and into the WS. This from a Wild Card shot AND as the Yankees had a 3-0 lead in Division Series. The Yankees crushed the Red Sox in Fenway on a very damp and ugly Saturday night by a huge margin...then the miracle came, 8 in a row.

Never know, next year could be your year again.
  • Options

<< <i>Giants got a win today, in a game where the pre-game chatter was pretty much how Francisco Liriano was going to trash the Giants.

Best way to summarize what happened in this game would be to envision Liriano being swarmed by angry chickens and pecked to death on the mound in the 1st. >>

As KTVU Channel 2's Joe Fonsi said on the air on the weekend Sports Wrap last night..."for the first time in a while the Giants can go to bed with their dignity intact".
  • Options

<< <i>So, I gotta ask...what are you gonna do when Monday, Sept 30th comes and the season is over? Do you just shift over to the 49ers?

Tough season for your team, maybe next year things will gel better. Never give up hope...review the incredible and I do mean INCREDIBLE comeback the Red Sox made in the '04 playoffs and into the WS. This from a Wild Card shot AND as the Yankees had a 3-0 lead in Division Series. The Yankees crushed the Red Sox in Fenway on a very damp and ugly Saturday night by a huge margin...then the miracle came, 8 in a row.

Never know, next year could be your year again. >>

The season has been over for almost two months. The Giants/ 49ers fans made the switch about a month ago. Some Giants "fans" made the switch to the A's about six weeks ago. In the last month the amount of A's apparel worn in public has gone from virtually zero to some. The rarer Giants/ Raiders fans haven't made the switch yet because they don't want the additional misery. They spend their days eyeballing who the Raiders might pick when they get the first overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft. With Al Davis not around anymore maybe whomever they pick won't turn into a total bust, just a partial bust.

Considering the team's own free agents leaving the team after the end of this season, inconsistent pitching, horrible offense, the ownership's unwillingness to pursue outside talent, ownership's unwillingness to rebuild, non existent farm talent and the Dodgers finally playing to their potential, there might not be any posteason baseball for the Giants for the next decade.
  • Options

<< <i>So, I gotta ask...what are you gonna do when Monday, Sept 30th comes and the season is over? Do you just shift over to the 49ers? >>

I'm not that big of a football fan, so once baseball season ends, "Hot Stove League" kicks into action and I have a lot more time on my hands. image

<< <i>Tough season for your team, maybe next year things will gel better. Never give up hope...review the incredible and I do mean INCREDIBLE comeback the Red Sox made in the '04 playoffs and into the WS. This from a Wild Card shot AND as the Yankees had a 3-0 lead in Division Series. The Yankees crushed the Red Sox in Fenway on a very damp and ugly Saturday night by a huge margin...then the miracle came, 8 in a row. >>

Giants had some of that magic going last season when they won 6 elimination games between the NLDS and the NLCS, then squashed the Tigers in the series.

I think next year is probably going to be brighter for the Giants:

The starters will be rested up w/o short rest due to post-season or a WBC to tax them. Bumgarner, Belt, and Crawford are young players who are maturing and growing. They've put together nice years this year, and I think next year they'll keep getting better.

Pablo will be a FA after 2014, and that should be prime motivation for him to get in shape and do well.

Giants have some holes to address on the field, namely a couple of starting pitchers and left field. If they can get a decent middle-of-the-order left fielder and a couple of major league starting pitchers (they don't need to be Verlander, but they shouldn't be unsigned FA's right now either).

There are some guys in the farm who are getting to the make-or-break age. We'll see what happens with the likes of Gary Brown and all the rookies the Giants have been using in the outfield.