Home Sports Talk

SF Giants 2013 off-season thread: SF add OF Mike Morse for 1 yr/ $6m

18910111214»

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It was reported that Choo is asking for 7 years/ $140 million and one team is allegedly ready to offer that. That makes the Hunter Pence re-signing look like the deal of the year. >>

that's stupid money for a guy who is not so great against a LHP
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Giants just picked up Mike Morse for a 1 year, $6 m deal. Kinda low considering that there was supposed to be a lot of competition for his services.

Well, it's the Pat Burrell gamble. Dude looked washed up on his last team. Can he bring it back together in SF?

If he can, then there's going to be a lot of homers. If not, then there will be more whining by us Giants fans.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Morse brings many whiffs and zero defense along with injury issues. Good luck.
    Morse is taking over a position that hit .257/.314/.337 last year with 5 homers. If he's healthy, he should provide a lot more power than we're used to.

Giants are dragging their feet with their roster. They haven't "finalized" the Vogelsong deal and are scrambling to deal someone off the roster. Word is that Brett Pill is the guy they're trying to trade off, likely for a non-roster minor leaguer. Better than just cutting him loose. With Morse on board, Pill's redundant, and out of options next year.

• 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Pill Being Shipped to Korea

"The Giants have a deal in place with the Korean Baseball Organization's KIA Tigers to sell Brett Pill to the Gwangju-based club, with just financial details left to be finalized, CSNBayArea.com's Andrew Baggarly reports. Pill is negotiating with KIA Tigers about a new contract, though the deal will fall through if Pill and the Tigers can't come to terms.

The Giants are expected to receive around $500K in the sale, Baggarly notes, which is roughly twice as much as teams usually receive in such transactions. Earlier today, John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle tweeted that the Giants were asking for as much as $1MM for Pill's rights and multiple teams in Korea and Japan were interested.

Pill, 29, has blossomed as a prospect over the last five seasons, culminating in a 1.010 OPS in 298 PA for Triple-A Fresno in 2013. He's received only 259 PA over three seasons at the Major League level, however, and there seemed little hope of more playing time given the Giants' depth at first base, Pill's ideal position. Brandon Belt looks to be the everyday first baseman in 2014, with Mike Morse also a candidate for playing time and Buster Posey also likely to get more time at first over the years in order to protect him from the rigors of catching. Pill has also seen time in left field and the Giants have experimented with him at second and third in the minors to try and find a place for his bat in the lineup."
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I like Pill as he played some summer ball in my small town.....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    A while back some Phillies players, coaches, and the local media pranked Kyle Kendrick with a fake trade to a Japanese team.

That's the first thing I thought of when I read this.

Hopefully Pill will make a name for himself overseas. I think John Bowker (another recent and former Giants AAAA'er) is still over there.

Pressed to make a move, the Giants DFA'ed lefty starter Eric Surkamp. There goes a little bit of depth, if you can call it that. Starting Pitching depth right now consists of Petit and Kickham, and that's it. They must REALLY think that Edwin Escobar is going to be MLB ready very shortly.