Home Sports Talk

SF Giants 2013 off-season thread: SF add OF Mike Morse for 1 yr/ $6m

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Players running over to Larry Baer after games is starting to turn into a thing. After tonight's game, Hunter Pence chased down Larry Baer and, in earshot of the media, started talking contract.

Neither side is really saying anything.

However, based on Pence's enthusiasm, some think a deal could be announced by Sunday.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    And they got it done fast. Pence and the Giants have agreed on a 5 year, $90 million dollar deal. So, there you go.

Glad we got that taken care of.

• 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Wilson so bought into the media hype after the first world series win, and his 'beard' persona like you stated earlier. No wonder he wouldn't shave it off for a million bucks like he was offered earlier this year. Without it, he's just another guy out there.

For the love of all that's holy I hope the Dodgers don't win the world series. All we need is to see Wilson getting an even bigger ego and parading around like an even bigger fool.

Pence signing was inevitable. The crowd has loved him since he got there, and he can seemingly do no wrong. Getting his deal done before the season ended probably saved the team a few million.
    Well, Zito finally got his moment. Used as a LOOGy vs Mark Kotsay (who was having his last career PA) and striking him out. Giants fans gave Zito a standing ovation, and Zito got pushed out for an curtain call. And with the Giants committing long-term with Pence, it seemed fitting that he'd deliver the walk-off hit to end the season.

Rough season, but I'm optimistic that they'll figure something out and give us back that meaningful September baseball.

Bochy already blew it, by pulling Zito during his last start. I'm glad Zito got his moment, though, as he deserved it.
    Peter Gammons wrote recently that several AL teams were sending scouts to Giants games near the end of the year to scout Pablo Sandoval, "believing The Panda may be available in a deal this winter."

Sabean said during his end-of-year press conference that they have done all they can with Pablo, and it's up to Pablo to decide his future.

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    So if Pablo is out, what are the options or possibilities at 3B? Are they still thinking about Posey at third?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    I'd have thought the time to sell Pablo would have been at the end of 2012. His fluctuations at the plate (which seem tied directly to his motivation or lack thereof in the training and weight managment) means some team would be able to buy low on him .

I don't have any particular insight into Pablo, but it's almost as if his fluctuations are tied into some unhappiness playing in SF? That or he's just wildly undedicated to his craft. Either way, it seems as if moving him would be the best fit for both parties, although I know he's wildly popular with the fans.

<< <i>I don't have any particular insight into Pablo, but it's almost as if his fluctuations are tied into some unhappiness playing in SF? That or he's just wildly undedicated to his craft. Either way, it seems as if moving him would be the best fit for both parties, although I know he's wildly popular with the fans. >>

His teammates have all confirmed that he works out as hard as anyone else to try and stay in shape, but then he goes and defeats himself with food. Basically, it's his dinner plate discipline that's his undoing.

He's hired his older brother to be an in-home chef, so given that 2014 is Pablo's walk year, he'll be extra motivated to do something about himself.

<< <i>So if Pablo is out, what are the options or possibilities at 3B? Are they still thinking about Posey at third? >>

There's no plan to move Posey out of the catcher's spot in 2014. Susac is still far away and Hector's not good enough to be an everyday catcher.

If Pablo gets dealt, then it'd be because the Giants have a contingency plan. They'd have to be upgrading somewhere with serious power (Jose Abreu?), enough such that starting someone like Joaquin Arias wouldn't hamstring the Giants offensively.

Classy farewell for a classy guy. His legacy is 2 games out of 7 years: those 13 scoreless frames between 2012 NLCS Game 5 and 2012 WS Game 1, with Zito looking unusually crazy and pissed off while dealing from the mound.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    That's very cool of Zito to take out the ad. Says a lot about him, the team and the city. Very classy indeed.
    Zito got such a bad rap from ignorant fans and even more ignorant sports talk that it's not even funny. It's not his fault the Giants overpaid for his services, but instead of focusing on his effort, and how he never ONCE complained, the media simply continued to hone in on the guy as if he was a bum. What was he supposed to do, give the money back? Ridiculous.

It's sad that so many people piled on the guy, and all he did each and every day was go to work and do his job. When he was left the 2010 postseason roster, and didn't raise even a peep of discord, it should have shown everyone who doubted his integrity, but people still wanted to pile on.

This was truly a class move, and I know I'm not alone in being glad he was rewarded with a ring of his own in 2012.
    Giants fans are easy to please. Zito's already redeemed himself with 2012. Still, we don't want him pitching for us anymore.

Besides, if Zito had played any better in 2007, we would have never been able to draft Buster Posey in 2008. image

I didn't mean to imply all giants fans were ungrateful of Zito, but there was admittedly a good number of fans who unnecessarily were on his back repeatedly, and fueled by a local and national media more interested in ratings than in actually being objective in their coverage of the situation.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Giants fans are easy to please. Zito's already redeemed himself with 2012. Still, we don't want him pitching for us anymore.

Besides, if Zito had played any better in 2007, we would have never been able to draft Buster Posey in 2008. image >>

Yup! An he does have class. Good call with Posey. I didn't know or forgot that factoid.

It was impossible for me to support him during his tenure. His 2012 postseason performance did in some way redeem all of the past but it was a big price to pay. I'll leave him with a "tale of two rings while he was a Giant"
    Here's something kinda shocking...

In all of Zito's starts over his Giants career, the Giants are 5 games under .500 (96-101)
    In all of Cain's starts since 2007, the Giants are 1 game under .500 (113-114).
    In all of Lincecum's starts since 2007, the Giants are 16 games over .500 (118-102).
    In all of Bumgarner's starts since his career started in 2009, the Giants are 11 games over .500 (63-52)
    In all the other Giants pitcher starts since 2007, the Giants are 3 games over .500 (189-186)

There's word that Lincecum signed a two year extension. Is there any truth to that?

If it's true frankly I'm surprised. At the very least it'll shore up part of the starting rotation for next season.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    Various beat-writers are saying that the deal is 2 years, $35m. I don't know what yearly distribution looks like. Just call it $17.5m.

That's a bit lower than the 2 year, $40m extension he signed before the 2012 season.

I guess they think he can work through his problems and become something more than a 4+ era pitcher again.

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Hope the club can take care of their low level workers and give them minimum wage......

For the second time this season, the San Francisco Giants are under investigation for possible wage violations pertaining to low level team employees. This according to Myron Levin and Stuart Silverstein of FairWarning.org, who collectively report the Giants along with the Miami Marlins are under investigation from the U.S. Department of Labor for improper use of unpaid interns.

Earlier in the season, it was discovered the Giants were paying clubhouse workers less than minimum wage, which resulted in a settlement in August. Apparently the pay issues didn't end there, as the Labor Department decided to take a deeper look at not only the Giants, but the other 29 teams as well. That led to the current investigation centering around San Francisco and Miami, and has prompted a meeting with labor officials that representatives from all 30 teams are required to attend next month in Orlando.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Earlier in the season a lot of the food workers at AT&T Park went on strike at the park against the team's food subcontractor.

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I love me some garlic fries there, yum!!!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    I love the cha-cha bowl. Probably the one substantial food item you can buy there that won't give you a stomach ache or heartburn.

• gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love me some garlic fries there, yum!!! >>

These were awesome...could only eat about half, though...massive heartburn! What is the cha-cha bowl?

What are your thoughts on the $35 million over 2 for Lincecum...seem kind of high to you?

<< <i>What is the cha-cha bowl? >>

It's a bowl of rice, black beans, and chunks of BBQ chicken with mango salsa.

<< <i>What are your thoughts on the $35 million over 2 for Lincecum...seem kind of high to you? >>

The reasoning given was that if Lincecum accepted the qualifying offer this year and next year, they wouldn't have paid that much less. The extra money keeps him happy.

I can understand the reasoning. Lincecum wasn't really itching to leave SF like some folks seem to think he was.

With a $14m/1 year qualifying offer on the table, most teams would probably not want to pay that kind of money AND lose a draft pick in the process to get him.

Lincecum knew that. The Giants knew that.

Giants had two choices:

1) let him hit the FA market, fail, then come back with a hang-dog attitude about how SF was the only job he could get.
    2) give him some money to keep him here and make him feel at home.

If the Giants went with option 1, then Lincecum WOULD want to get out of town and would be counting the days.
    Since the Giants went with option 2, then Lincecum can calm down and spend the next couple of years re-inventing himself.

The Giants coaching staff must see something in Lincecum's progress that makes them comfortable with a 2 year investment.

Pretty quiet. Voggy's option wasn't picked up, so he's decided to shop himself around, though the Giants are said to be wanting to talk to him about signing for less.

Not much else going on.

Giants are going to need 2 new starting pitchers. What do ya'll think about maybe Dan Harren, Tim Hudson, or Hiroki Kuroda being on the staff next year?

Either that or we'll get a couple of guys we haven't heard of.

Bum and Cain, then pray for 3 days of rain. image

They've been talking about going after Bronson Arroyo. Like Tim Hudson he can still pitch but they're both pretty old and can completely shrivel up in a flash. Ditto for Kuroda.

I'm assuming one of the vacant starter spots I'll go to a low profile stopgap like Petit or maybe Gaudin. Anything regarding a potential new outfielder?

<< <i>They've been talking about going after Bronson Arroyo. Like Tim Hudson he can still pitch but they're both pretty old and can completely shrivel up in a flash. Ditto for Kuroda.

I'm assuming one of the vacant starter spots I'll go to a low profile stopgap like Petit or maybe Gaudin. Anything regarding a potential new outfielder? >>

Maybe Mike Kickahm or Eric Surkamp will have an awesome spring training and start pitching like the guys they showed promise of becoming before their derailments (injury for Surkamp, suckage for Kick).

The only rumors I've heard regarding the outfield involve Brandon Belt going there. Other than that, no names. However, the guys at McCovey Chronicles seem to think that Chris Young would be a good fit, but looking at his numbers, he's probably going to hit like Aaron Rowand.

Dodgers are apparently looking to move an outfielder.

Matt Kemp, anyone?

Only if Kemp plays to his potential. He's been nearly useless the last two seasons. How about Ethier? If the Dodgers eat part of his contract would he work?

How about Stanton? Marlins publicly say they aren't interested in moving him but with that ownership you never know.

<< <i>Only if Kemp plays to his potential. He's been nearly useless the last two seasons. How about Ethier? If the Dodgers eat part of his contract would he work?

How about Stanton? Marlins publicly say they aren't interested in moving him but with that ownership you never know. >>

Stanton would cost too much. If Sabian called, it'd go like this:

Sabean: Hey, I want Stanton. What do you want?
    Marlins: Um, how about Posey and....
    Sabean: Heck no. Posey's not available.
    Marlins: OK, how about Bumgarner (and you pick up 100% of his contract), and Crick, and Escobar, and....
    Sabean: *click*

What about Shin So Choo? Are his lefty/right splits too extreme? Would he be too affected by the pitcher's park in SF?

<< <i>What about Shin So Choo? Are his lefty/right splits too extreme? Would he be too affected by the pitcher's park in SF? >>

Choo would be an easy upgrade over the Blanco/Torres/Fresno Express platoon we've been fooling around with all year, but he's still got his flaws, like not being able to hit lefty pitchers. He's so bad vs lefties that Gregor Blanco would be an offensive upgrade, and Blanco sux vs lefties.

If they got Choo, it'd make sense to bench Choo vs lefties, and move Belt to left, Posey to 1st, and start Hector Sanchez behind the plate (Hector's stronger vs lefty pitchers).

The deadline to add players to the 40 man roster to protect them from the rule 5 draft is Wednesday. I'm curious to see if Gary Brown gets protection, or if they've given up on him after his bad AAA season.

Looks like the Giants are about to give a 2 year, $23m deal to Tim Hudson.

Since the Billy Beane "Three Aces" got broken up back in the day, there's always been one in the Bay. Zito was that guy for years. Now it's Hudson.

He's a good pitcher, always has been, but he's 38 years old and coming off a nasty ankle injury.

In his past few seasons, he's seen his numbers trickle down a bit.

2010: 34 starts, 2.83 era, 228.2 ip, 1.150 whip. era+ 138. (vs. .229/.299/.343)
    2011: 33 starts, 3.22 era, 215 ip, 1.140 whip. era+ 119. (vs. .236/.296/.331)
    2012: 28 starts, 3.62 era, 179 ip, 1.207 whip. era+ 110. (vs. .248/.304/.361)
    2013: 21 starts, 3.97 era, 131.1 ip 1.188 whip. era+ 97. (vs. .245/.299/.363)

Some of those numbers are trending in the wrong direction. Guess we'll see if the AT&T Park factor can back him up any.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    It's a good deal for you. It's relatively low risk at two years.

<< <i>It's a good deal for you. It's relatively low risk at two years. >>

Looking at it another way: "Hudson $" + "Zito buyout $" < "2013 Zito $"

Apparently they're getting close to re-signing Javier Lopez.

As for the outfield, Sabean said that he's not worried about the possibility of another platoon LF with Gregor Blanco. NOOOOO!!!!!

As for the other rotation spot, it's looking like this:

Rotation: Giants will sign ONE more starting pitcher.
    Giants are still talking to Vogelsong.
    Josh Johnson has said, and told both teams, that he wants to be either a Giant or a Padre next year.
    Bronson Arroyo is still on the radar.
    Giants are backing off of Dan Harren, saying that too many teams are bidding for him.

Giants appear confident that 21 year old lefty prospect Edwin Escobar is going to be MLB ready soon, as in, some time in 2014. He's made some advances in the past few years...

2009 - 2011: learning how to pitch.
    2012: A Augusta: 22 starts, 2.96 era, 1.171 whip, 3.81 so/bb
    2013: High A San Jose: 14 starts, 2.89 era, 1.138 whip, 5.41 so/bb
    2013: AA Richmond: 10 starts 2.67 era, 1.056 whip, 4.15 so/bb

Scouts and coaches in the org are likening Escobar to Madison Bumgarner.

Josh Johnson signed with the Padres. So, Arroyo, Voggy, or someone else.

Sabean said that he's going to try to deal for a left fielder at the winter meetings, and that they've basically turned away from the FA market.

The Javier Lopez deal looks to be for 3 years and $12m total.

Giants added minor league outfielder Gary Brown, RHP Kendry Flores, 3rd baseman Adam Duvall, and RHP Hunter Strickland to the 40 man roster. Guillermo Moscoso DFA'ed.

40 man is now full. As soon as they ink Lopez, they'll need to DFA someone else to make room.

Mijares got DFA'ed to make room for Lopez.

Giants re-signed Voggy to a 1 year $5m deal with $1.5m worth of incentives, DFA'ed Peguero and Monell, and added a couple of minor league relievers.

One is a total scrub (Erik Cordier, drafted in 2004, never seen MLB yet) , the other is a former Padre prospect (Jose De Paula) who looks like he'd probably be a better reliever than starter, but who knows.

When Voggy's deal becomes official, the Giants will have to clear another spot on the roster.

Well, looks like the Giants are really banking on Cain and Lincecum not sucking this year, because it seems that the gangs all back.

Rotation (5):
    1) Cain
    2) Bumgarner
    3) Hudson *upgrade over Zito*
    4) Lincecum
    5) Vogelsong

Starters (8):
    C = Posey
    1b = Belt
    2b = Scutaro
    SS = Crawford
    3b = Sandoval
    LF = Blanco
    CF = Pagan
    RF = Pence

Bench (5)
    C = Sanchez
    IF = Arias
    IF = Abreu
    x?x
    x?x

Bullpen (7)
    Romo
    Affeldt
    Lopez
    Casilla
    Petit
    x?x
    x?x

So, what's left is to decide on the last 2 bullpen arms and a couple of bench guys. Or, if we're lucky, the Giants will find an every-day leftfielder and we'll only have 1 bench guy to wonder about. However, Sabes has already said that he'd be happy with another platoon situation in LF, where Blanco starts vs righties and someone else starts vs lefties.

Sigh.

News out of the Winter Meetings!!!!

1) Tim Hudson is going to take on jsy number #17 instead of making Bochy give up #15
    2) Giants said that they'd be "happy" with a Blanco/Perez platoon in RF.

I like the Hudson signing, and as of now it looks like the starting rotation is set.

As for the outfield, they say they're not interested in going after Choo. Who else is still available at this time?

<< <i>I like the Hudson signing, and as of now it looks like the starting rotation is set.

As for the outfield, they say they're not interested in going after Choo. Who else is still available at this time? >>

If they won't take Choo, then they'll need to do a trade, but if Sabes isn't willing to forfeit the 14th spot in next year's draft, I kinda doubt he'd be willing to give up a pitching prospect to get an impact outfielder, because that's what it'd take.

Blanco will get a platoon partner. It'll either be someone from within the org or a scrub from without. We're not getting an every-day left fielder.

Who knows, maybe Juan Perez will awesome? Maybe Gary Brown will fix whatever it is that he needs to fix and turn into Mike Trout.

On the bright side, based on pictures on twitter posted by Panda's brother, it looks like Pablo Sandoval will show up to spring training with less gut.

CSNBA was also reporting the team is open to extending Pablo. They were heavily emphasizing that he is still young and is an offensive weapon when he isn't slumping or hurt.

Sabean has said many times he's unwilling to give up their 1st round pick under any circumstances. That alone rules out Choo and many others.

<< <i>CSNBA was also reporting the team is open to extending Pablo. They were heavily emphasizing that he is still young and is an offensive weapon when he isn't slumping or hurt.

Sabean has said many times he's unwilling to give up their 1st round pick under any circumstances. That alone rules out Choo and many others. >>

Saw the bit about the Panda extension. I thought the Giants were getting fed up with having to constantly nag him about his conditioning.

It was reported that Choo is asking for 7 years/ $140 million and one team is allegedly ready to offer that. That makes the Hunter Pence re-signing look like the deal of the year.