Home Sports Talk

SF Giants 2013 off-season thread: SF add OF Mike Morse for 1 yr/ $6m

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    8 dominant shutout innings for Voggy. 2nd solid outing in a row.

He had 1 quality start out of 9 starts before his injury, and now has 3 out of 4 since coming back, and all against contending teams.

I think that option's getting picked up.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    Javier Lopez was put on wavers, and it's a sure bet that he won't clear. Looks like the Giants are going to see if they can trade him again.

They reported that Pence, Lincecum, and Lopez were all claimed on wavers. It's also being rumored that the Giants will pull everyone back.

Tonight's game.... I wonder how long they're going to let Zito keep going out there and embarrassing himself.

Funny bit, the field's sprinklers kicked on for a few moments in the middle of the bottom of the 4th. The Giants slept right on through it though.

Andres Torres is undergoing season-ending surgery on his bone spurs, so there's Angel Pagan's roster spot right there, who's likely to be activated this weekend.

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    With the season already shot is it worth it to bring Pagan back now instead of shutting him down for the rest of the season? As for Torres my guess is he's gone after this season. If they need to choose between Blanco and Torres I'd personally go with Blanco.

I was in Miami for the last few days so I haven't caught the last few games live. Amazing how two wins against a top team can make you temporarily forget about how awful the rest of this season is going. On paper it looked like Petit pitched well last night. As for Zito, given he pitched on the road in Colorado with extra dry balls, what could've possibly gone wrong there?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    Pagan's back tonight and leading off. I didn't expect them to activate him before September 1st. Doing it now means they had to make a 25 man roster move, and Franciso Peguero is that move. Not that it really matters at this point.

The 60 man move is moving Torres to the 60 day DL. Easy.

Still, when a guy is sent down, he has to stay down for 10 days before getting called back up, unless someone goes to the DL, then they can call him up before those 10 days are up. Now, the Fresno season ends on the 3rd, so unless this rule is suspended when the rosters expand on Sept 1st, Peguero is going to be sitting around for a week waiting to come back.

Heh, Pagan made his presence known in a hurry. Lead-off double, sac'ed to 3rd, scores on sac fly. There's the whole offensive output for the game right there, on both teams. Panda's lost a little weight, and now he's pouncing on stuff like a cat and making great plays. One turned a possible 3 run double into a 0 run inning ending out. Nice. I think Panda realizes that he'll be playing for a contract next year and is getting on it.

Christian Arroyo, the Giants 1st round pick this year, won the Arizona League MVP with his work there in rookie league. Good start.

SEPTEMBER CALL-UPS!!!!!!

Nick Noonan (IF)
    Francisco Peguero (OF)
    Juan Perez (OF)
    George Kontos (RP)
    Jake Dunning (RP)

and getting their first ever call-up:
    Ehire Adrianza (SS)
    Heath Hembree (RP)
    Johnny Monell (C)

Guys not coming up at all:
    Dan Runzler (RP) (struggled in Fresno, hasn't been in the majors since last year. I think he's toast)
    Eric Surkamp (SP) Org decided to give him the rest of the year off after he rehabed his way back from TJ.
    Kensuke Tanaka (IF/OF): I guess the org doesn't have any plans for him. He had decent numbers in Fresno, but he's 32.
    Angel Villalona, Edwin Escobar: AA leaguers. Still cooking.

Adrianza: All leather, no wood. He's been on the 40 man roster since 2010, so he's all out of options once this year ends.. This call up is a final "Lets see what he can do" type deal.
    Heath Hembree: he's been viewed as the future closer for this team. High 90 heat and a good idea of where it's going.
    Johnny Monell: Jacked 20 homers for Fresno this year while hitting .277/.367/.498. I hear he's kind of a brick behind home plate though.

Is Angel Villalona still considered a prospect? It's good his whole saga is coming to an end but the question now is if he can still play baseball.

It always seems the Giants always have guys in the farm who can field well but can't hit for the life of them. It would be a good idea for the team to use their coming top 5 pick to draft a power guy. Perhaps lay off pitchers for once and go after a few guys with power. AT&T Park or not, when your home run leader leads the team on September 2 with only 17 homers there is a clear need for a power hitter.

I just landed in Anchorage so I didn't see today's game in its entirety. But with Zito pitching on the road you know you're afraid to check the score.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

<< <i>Is Angel Villalona still considered a prospect? It's good his whole saga is coming to an end but the question now is if he can still play baseball. >>

Hardly. He just turned 23, so he has another year or two to fix things. The power's still there, but his BA's under .250 and he has more strikeouts than hits.

Mac Williamson is the only real power prospect the Giants have, and he should be in AA next year. The other power hitters are older minor leaguers or retreads.

Runzler and Tanaka were both DFA'ed to make room for Hembree and Monell.

<< <i>But with Zito pitching on the road you know you're afraid to check the score. >>

Here's a head spinner: Zito gave up fewer hits and runs than Clayton Kershaw today.

<< <i>

<< <i>But with Zito pitching on the road you know you're afraid to check the score. >>

Here's a head spinner: Zito gave up fewer hits and runs than Clayton Kershaw today. >>

For some reason that totally gives me a flashback to a line in a pamphlet given during a bad sex-ed class from junior high school.

It went something very similar to this: "Don't worry if the opportunity doesn't come soon. Studies show that only 88% of men 22 years old or older have done it. That's less than 100% so not everybody has done it so it's ok".

Compared to what he normally does, Kershaw laid an egg in Colorado but his offense bailed him out. The Giants pitchers don't have that luxury.
    The pitching for the first half of the season was horrid. This half though, we're taken back to 2009, where the pitching is strong, but the offence is non-existent.

The decline of Posey's power has me concerned.

Scutaro's not hitting as well as he did when he came over last year, but he's still enjoying a fine season, one of the best in his career.
    Pence is hitting like the Pence we thought he'd be when he came over last year.
    Belt's coming along nicely.
    Craw's reverting back to the no-bat guy he looked like he was growing out of.
    Pablo's power is totally gone, even though he's starting to lose weight and is getting more agile at 3rd and making plays.
    Pagan's looking sharp in his return from surgery.
    LF is a black hole of sorrow.

Cain's settled down.
    Bum's a stud.
    Lincecum's up and down.
    Vogelsong's been solid (4/5 quality starts, after a 1/9 start)
    Zito's final games as a Giant look more and more like public executions.

So, take away the power of the #3 and #4 hitters you built a team around, and you're pretty much hosed.

I just hope that Panda will attack his contract year like he did Verlander in the World Series last year, and that Posey's fatigue or whatever isn't an issue anymore.

The fact that Posey is 26 years old and sitting out every fifth game or so is concerning. Hopefully this isn't indicative of his career longevity. After all the Giants have him around for almost another decade.

Scutaro is playing fairly well considering he didn't have much time to recover from his hand injury.

I agree Pablo has shown improvements on defense but now it seems like he's forgotten how to hit and when he manages to get a hit he has no power.

Lineups for National League teams normally have one automatic out known as the pitcher's batting spot. The Giants lineups normally have at least four automatic outs. Five if Torres and Blanco are in the game together.

This team has to find somebody with some hitting power. Other teams have several guys in their lineup with over 25 homers. This team has none and only one even has a shot at hitting 20.

For some reason I always figure Zito would some way some how end up back on the Giants roster beyond 2013. Good thing he's taking care of that dilemma all by himself.

<< <i>The fact that Posey is 26 years old and sitting out every fifth game or so is concerning. >>

In the past 44 games, Posey's started as catcher in 34 games, 1st 4 times, DH once, and sat 6 times.

Over the 138 games this season, Posey has started at catcher 106 times, 1st 14 times, DHed 3 times, and started on the bench 15 times.

If he starts 5 more games as a catcher this year, he'll have as many starts behidn the plate as he did last year during the regular season.

One thing that might explain Posey's issues this year is him being overworked.

He underwent non-stop rehab from September 2011 through the start of Spring Trianing 2012. He then lead the team to the promised land through November of 2012, then had a few months off before the start of the 2013 season.

Seems like that would be a good reason for his cooling off in the post-season last year (he hit 16 for 60, or .200). Maybe he never really caught his breath?

Well, this year he'll have an extra month worth of off-season to put his feet up.

Well Pablo found some power in his swing today, at Petco Park of all places. Six homers in one game. It probably isn't but that feels like a record.

<< <i>Well Pablo found some power in his swing today, at Petco Park of all places. Six homers in one game. It probably isn't but that feels like a record. >>

Actually, it is a new record: most homers at Petco by a visiting team.

After hitting his 9th home run of the season, Crawford went up and teased Pablo about being 1 away from catching him. Then Pablo cut loose.

Matt Cain on the DL, Buster Posey breaks his finger, Jeff Francoeur got innings in the outfield, Giants in last place, Dodgers beating the world.

So what's next Monkey Paw price we'll pay for the 2012 World Series?

<< <i>Matt Cain on the DL, Buster Posey breaks his finger, Jeff Francoeur got innings in the outfield, Giants in last place, Dodgers beating the world.

So what's next Monkey Paw price we'll pay for the 2012 World Series? >>

MadBum just might suffer a concussion after tripping on the clubhouse steps or sprain his wrist pulling weeds from his front yard.
    One pitch away and foiled by Eric Chavez of all people...

Still 8.2 IP of perfect ball is a huge accomplishment and a career performance. In any event Petit has made a strong case for landing a starting spot on the rotation next season.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad spot-start for me in fantasy baseball. image

I love watching players pitch their dream game. I stood two feet from my big screen just living in the moment... so much fun! I hope this is the beginning of a permanent spot in the rotation for him.

<< <i>Not a bad spot-start for me in fantasy baseball. >>

You seriously had Petit on your fantasy team? You some kind of prophet or something?

Man, losing a perfect game after 26 outs has got to hurt. He retired the next guy to get the first CG and first shutout of his career, but being that close to history and falling short is going to leave a bad taste.

It's porbably gonna haunt Pence too. "What if I took a played in a little bit more?"

This was only Petit's 2nd time EVER seeing the 8th inning as a starter, and the first time he's ever seen the 9th as a starter.

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not a bad spot-start for me in fantasy baseball. >>

You seriously had Petit on your fantasy team? You some kind of prophet or something? >>

I'm in the playoffs and I'm up against a guy who likes to stream starting pitchers. Streaming pitchers is where you keep picking up and dropping starters throughout the week so you can rack up wins and strikeouts. Well I had to counter with my own streaming, and I happened to choose Petit. I picked him up on Thursday to start him on Friday. That sure helped my ERA and WHIP for the week! Funny thing is, I already dropped him for my next streamer (once the game started), so even though I get Friday's stats, he's already off my team. lol

<< <i>Funny thing is, I already dropped him for my next streamer (once the game started), so even though I get Friday's stats, he's already off my team. lol >>

Petit's been DFA'ed by the Giants 3 times in the past 2 years, so he's used to it. image

Petit really shined, but another guy who's stock has been going up lately his Hector Sanchez.

Last weekend I recall Lurie, Vida, and Laskey talking about Buster and Hector, and Laskey was singing Hector's praises. He was suggesting that Hector might be a better game caller than Posey, and that his defensive problems behind the plate could be a result of calling for more difficult to catch pitches, while Posey calls (or Boch orders him to call) a slightly less risky game plan.

Anyways, if Hector keeps growing at the plate (and behind it), he might make the Giants brass start working on the "Buster Posey, 3rd baseman" timeline.

Another solid effort by MadBum, and again he gets a no-decision. Better than a loss. Since the AS break, Bum's gone 1-4 with 5 no-decisions. Giants are now 2-8 in his starts since the AS break. Not though any serious fault on his own. The bullpen hasn't helped. Bum's given up 17 runs in his 10 second-half. The bullpen has given up an additional 17 runs in their relief of him. The Giants offence has stunk it up too, providing little to no run support. Today Boch pulled him with a 2-0 lead that got smoked an inning later by the pen.

Is there a stat that keeps track of average run support for starting pitchers? I would love to see how MadBum's lack of run support compares with Cain or anybody else in the majors.
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Is there a stat that keeps track of average run support for starting pitchers? I would love to see how MadBum's lack of run support compares with Cain or anybody else in the majors. >>

Link

Select 'rs/ip' row. Mad bum currently getting 3.3 runs per 9 innings.
    If you calculate "Run Support" to be the average number of runs the team scores on days where a pitcher pitches (113 pitchers with a minimum 120 ip this season), then:

Bumgarner gets 3.38 runs of support (on average) per start, which is 14th worst in MLB. If more than 3 runs a game seems like a lot, keep in mind that the Giants offence was clicking for a few months at the start of the season, and they put some big numbers on the board to back MadBum. 2nd half has been a totally different story. The overall average is skewed by the 1st half, and it's STILL bad.

Giants win, but Dodgers do too, and thus the Giants are officially eliminated from NL West contention.

Formal post-season elimination should come before the week's end.

The Giants could still end the season with a winning record vs each of the NL West teams though (36-28, with 12 to go)...

vs D-Backs = 12-7 (season series complete)
    vs Rockies = 9-8 (w/ 2 to go)
    vs Dodgers = 6-6 (w/ 7 to go)
    vs Padres = 9-7 (w/ 3 to go)

Of course, head to head vs the NL west isn't what killed the Giants this year. It was everything else...

vs the NL Central = 11-23
    vs the NL East = 13-16 (with 3 to go)
    vs the AL = 5-12 (with 3 to go)

I was at the game last night. A win is a win and walk off wins feel that much more exhilarating. Last night was a cold and windy night even by AT&T standards.

Compared to this time last year though, there is an obvious difference in the atmosphere in the stands. The crowd feels much more subdued, there are more visiting team fans in the stands and it isn't unusual to find sections of empty seats despite the "sellout".

As for the team's record against non NL West opponents, that will add fuel to the argument from many that the NL West is the weakest division in the majors. What they will do against the Yankees remains to be seen but it probably won't be all that pretty especially with the Yankees still fighting for a chance at a postseason spot.
    The broadcasters were being snarky. When they announced the sell-out crowd, they said that many fans were dressing up for Elvis night, either as Elvis himself, or as green AT&T Park seats.

Are we turning into honorary L.A. Lakers fans? It simply looks horrible for this area when the team struggles at a time when they're 4/5 of a season removed from a World Series win and people stop caring. At least it took the Phillies fans a few seasons to stop caring.
    Tonight's game reminds why they deserve to be in last place. 6 run lead blown. Miraculously they tie it up only to blow the lead again by the closer of all pitchers. If it isn't no offense it's crap pitching.

Bad news is Hunter Pence was productive again. Every hit he gets every RBI he bats in makes him that much more expensive and less chance of the cheapskate organization re-signing him. Why keep a 20+ homer, 90+ RBI guy when we can have Andres Torres and a minor leaguer in the outfield?

<< <i>Tonight's game reminds why they deserve to be in last place. 6 run lead blown. Miraculously they tie it up only to blow the lead again by the closer of all pitchers. If it isn't no offense it's crap pitching.

Bad news is Hunter Pence was productive again. Every hit he gets every RBI e bats in makes him that much more expensive and less chance of the cheapskate organization re-signing him. Why keep a 20+ homer, 90+ RBI guy when we can have Andres Torres and a minor leaguer in the outfield? >>

What could possibly make you say the Giants are a 'cheapskate organization'? $142 million in payroll and sixth in spending isn't enough?

<< <i>Bad news is Hunter Pence was productive again. Every hit he gets every RBI e bats in makes him that much more expensive and less chance of the cheapskate organization re-signing him. Why keep a 20+ homer, 90+ RBI guy when we can have Andres Torres in the outfield? >>

I think he'll be back. Otherwise they'd have flipped him at the deadline or when he was claimed on wavers.

I think "rock bottom" will finally be coming soon. It'll be on the fields of Chavez Ravine when the Giants watch from the visiting dugout as the Dodgers rush the field to celebrate clinching the division.

Of course, every time we think "rock bottom" has been hit, something worse happens.

<< <i>

<< <i>Bad news is Hunter Pence was productive again. Every hit he gets every RBI e bats in makes him that much more expensive and less chance of the cheapskate organization re-signing him. Why keep a 20+ homer, 90+ RBI guy when we can have Andres Torres in the outfield? >>

I think he'll be back. Otherwise they'd have flipped him at the deadline or when he was claimed on wavers.

I think "rock bottom" will finally be coming soon. It'll be on the fields of Chavez Ravine when the Giants watch from the visiting dugout as the Dodgers rush the field to celebrate clinching the division.

Of course, every time we think "rock bottom" has been hit, something worse happens. >>

First thing, was tonight's game a "sellout"? There weren't just empty rows, there were empty sections.

We thought they hit rock bottom in May. Then we thought June was rock bottom. I don't think we've seen rock bottom yet.

I want to see Hunter Pence back, but the fact that there is always a shortage of decent outfielders in free agency will make teams over bid for him. The Giants ownership won't pay what other teams will offer him. Like it or not he'll be in for a huge pay day come this winter. The ownership will attempt to re-sign him, but would that attempt actually be successful is unlikely in my opinion. As for Lincecum, he's good as gone. He's hated it here and unless the Giants make him an offer that's double the next best offer he won't be back.

<< <i>What could possibly make you say the Giants are a 'cheapskate organization'? $142 million in payroll and sixth in spending isn't enough? >>

Because nearly 1/3 of that is tied up in two players: Barry Zito and Lincecum. Number 3 on that list is Pence. Take way those three guys and 40% of the payroll goes away.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    In all seriousness, as a Dodger fan, I am happy my team is winning right now but I do not gloat about it around here (Nor Cal). Until my team wins a world series (or two) you guys have recent history on your side! Maybe you'll bounce back next year and make it an every other year kind of thing.

<< <i>

<< <i>What could possibly make you say the Giants are a 'cheapskate organization'? $142 million in payroll and sixth in spending isn't enough? >>

Because nearly 1/3 of that is tied up in two players: Barry Zito and Lincecum. Number 3 on that list is Pence. Take way those three guys and 40% of the payroll goes away. >>

Why would you take those away? They've still paid out 142 million in salary. That makes them sixth in payroll and far from cheapskates.
    Anybody watching tonight's game? The 2nd inning sums up how crappy this team is. Remember how exciting these L.A. series used to be? Now we're just hoping they don't humiliate themselves too much while they're down there.

Giants lose. Winning pitcher: Brian Wilson.

Baseball Gods are trolling the Giants now. There's going to be a whole lot more trolling before September 30th gets here.

Of course, the Giants helped out a ton. Poor execution, poor defense. The Giants players all have the demons in their heads now, and they're "executing" the worst case scenarios.

Bases juiced, 1 out: chopper to 3rd for the double play.

Seriously, loading the bases with Giants is almost an opposing strategy now.

It could be worse. They can load the bases with no outs then hit into a triple play. I fully expect that to happen before this season is done.

And tonight is Exhibit A why this team is in last place. No offense, bad baserunning and sloppy defense. Okay, at least the starting pitching seems okay but pitching alone can't win games when your lineup scores you no runs.

Amazing how in two road games the A's can score 26 runs. To score that many runs it would take the Giants six weeks.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    Happy Friday guys! image

<< <i>It could be worse. They can load the bases with no outs then hit into a triple play. I fully expect that to happen before this season is done. >>

That's the quick, merciful death that we'll never get. No. Reality is what we saw a few times in the past month or so: bases loaded, nobody out: Posey strikes out looking. Pence grounds into a force play at home. Pablo flies out to end the inning.

Have you noticed that Posey's bat has been staying on his shoulder more and more in important ABs? It's like he's sitting on a pitch that never comes, then with 2 strikes he takes a blind hack and hopes for the best.

Word is that the Giants are aggressively scouting Japanese pitchers Masahiro Tanaka and Kenta Maeda, as well as Cuban defector 1st baseman Jose Abreu.

Tanaka (24) just went 21-0 with a 1.24 era in Japan. 0.934 whip and a 5.74 so/bb.

Maeda (25) went 12-5 with a 1.92 era and 0.927 whip and a 4.22 so/bb.

Abreu (26) has tons of power in a hitter-friendly Cuban league. He's got funky mechanics at the plate and a body somewhere between Hector Sanchez and Pablo Sandoval. One scouting report cautiously used Miguel Cabrera as a rough comp.

Zito and Lincecum both cost $42 mil combined this year. If the Giants really wanted to gamble on 2 pitching prospects like Tanaka and Maeda, as well as an iffy defector in Abreu, I don't think it'd cost $42 mil/year.

These guys would want long contracts though.

I was going to write something about the "duel" that was going on, then Uribe hit a 2 run shot off Bum and there's no point in writing it any more. Insurmountable lead for the 2013 Giants to overcome. Turn out the lights, and knock off another Dodger magic number.

You know what, this team stinks. They deserve to watch the Dodgers LOL at them as they celebrate their division clinch. Might just be the thing that gives them something spur them on next year.

<< <i>I was going to write something about the "duel" that was going on, then Uribe hit a 2 run shot off Bum and there's no point in writing it any more. Insurmountable lead for the 2013 Giants to overcome. Turn out the lights, and knock off another Dodger magic number.

You know what, this team stinks. They deserve to watch the Dodgers LOL at them as they celebrate their division clinch. Might just be the thing that gives them something spur them on next year. >>

Aaaand, the Giants immediately tag Kershaw for 3 runs after I write this. So what the heck do I know. AZ lost, so Dodger's magic number is 4. This is the first winning decision Bumgarner has gotten in a while.

Bumgarner: 6 ip, 5 hits, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts, 2 earned runs, 103 pitches.
    Kershaw: 7 ip, 8 hits, 0 walks, 6 so, 3 runs (2 earned), 106 pitches.

All in all, the Giants got to mess with Kershaw's ERA and WHIP just a little bit and stick him with a losing decision. Yay. Being annoying pests is the best the Giants can do at this point in the season.