Home Sports Talk

SF Giants 2013 off-season thread: SF add OF Mike Morse for 1 yr/ $6m

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Monday: Lincecum: 3.2 ip, 9 hits, 1 walk, 8 runs.
    Tuesday 1: Surkamp: 2.2 ip, 9 hits, 0 walks, 7 runs.
    Tuesday 2: Zito: 4.2 ip, 6 hits, 3 walks, 3 runs.
    Wednesday: Gaudin: 3.2 ip, 7 hits, 5 walks, 6 runs.

Quite frankly, I'm utterly shocked by how bad the Giants look right now. Lots of weak infield outs, lots of strikeouts, and when we get base runners, they get stranded.

Ooh, Pablo Sandoval's up with the bases loaded and 2 outs, lets see what happens....
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    Pop out to 3rd baseman. Weak.

Well, even if the Giants wanted to "blow up the team" the only guys any other team would want are Lopez and Pence. And even then, Pence might get us a good prospect and Lopez would get us some mid-range one.

The Giants could just keep Pence, make him a qualified offer (which he'd probably refuse) and they'd get a supplemental 1st round pick in next year's draft for the trouble.

Unless "blow up the team" means Sabean running around the clubhouse shouting "F**K ALL YA'LL!!" while writing "DFA" with spray paint on everyone's locker. While a comical thing to imagine, it's not practical.

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Good God this is pathetic. When your team scores one whole run on 12 stinking hits then load the bases with nobody out yet can't score jack squat not only does your team deserve to lose, you deserve to walk home without dinner.

That's all I've got say about that.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    I saw that Jeff Francoeur made a commercial for Delta Airlines.

Forget light-tower-power, this dude's got ICBM power!

He almost hit a homer for for the Giants a few games ago, but it got yanked back for a game-ending catch.

<< <i>I saw that Jeff Francoeur made a commercial for Delta Airlines.

Forget light-tower-power, this dude's got ICBM power!

He almost hit a homer for for the Giants a few games ago, but it got yanked back for a game-ending catch. >>

As someone who used to work in that industry and who keeps a close tab on it even now, that commercial makes me chuckle. It s so, so Delta.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    Giants just traded a PTBNL or cash to the Cubs for 29 year old AAA starter Guillermo Moscoso. He had a 3.93 era, 1.298 whip, and a 2.0 so/bb ratio in AAA. He'll be in uniform tomorrow.

Not sure what they're doing with this. With the season in ruins, it's possible the Giants will start taking the load off of Cain and Bumgarner and letting them rest more. No need to push them now. Best way to do that is to have some guys in the pen who can eat some starts. Moscoso started 21 games for the A's back in 2011 (going 8-9 with a 3.38 era and a 1.080 whip). He also made a few starts for the Rockies last year, but those starts were made in Coors Field and he was reduced to ash on the mound (3 starts, 13.1 ip, 16 runs).

It's possible that they want to use him as another innings-eater since the starting pitching can't last more than 4 innings anymore.

Arias got activated off the DL and Dunning was shipped back to Fresno.

With Moscoso arriving tomorrow, someone's going to have to get DFA'ed.

Edit to add: Sabean just said that while they were riding a lack of depth, they thought Kickham and Surkamp would be MLB ready. They obviously were not, so Sabean said they started looking around at pitchers who made it to the majors with other teams. Moscoso appears to be one of these guys. Some other team developed him into a fringe major leaguer. "Fringe" is better than "not", I guess Moscoso counts as an upgrade or something.

Based on the way Sabean has been talking lately (a lot more frank and open than usual), it's clear that they saw the writing on the wall a month ago, but tried to hold out hope for a little while longer. The trade deadline now is going to be more of a formality. See if we can get some arms in here to eat some innings so our important guys can rest or develop in the minors (getting blown away by MLB hitting doesn't aid development).

And the damn sucking just won't stop except this time they wait until the 9th to scud the game. Another gutless, hapless, sloppy, pathetic performance. They suck at everything related to the game except finding ways to lose.

So is the team's lovefest with Brandon Belt still on? I don't get the whole infatuation with him.

Here's a way to blow up the team. Release everybody then replace the roster with guys from the local bar 'n grill. They wouldn't be any worse than this current team. Absolutely disgusting.

It is blatantly obvious this season is over. The sooner the organization comes to terms with that the better. You need to win games to have a season. They haven't been able to do that for the last two months.
    Think of it this way, the Giants just moved up in the draft order. They're still 12 games back of the Astros for the #1 slot in the draft though. Gotta keep chipping away at that.

1. Astros - 0
    2. Marlins - 5.5
    3. White Sox - 7
    4. Brewers - 8
    5. Twins - 10.5
    6. Padres - 11
    7. Giants - 12

<< <i>It is blatantly obvious this season is over. The sooner the organization comes to terms with that the better. >>

What does "come to terms with that" mean? What do YOU want to see the Giants do to improve for next season?

Unlike football, high draft picks in baseball don't excite me. In football a top draft pick can be an immediate game changer that season while a baseball pick has to spend years in the minors developing. At the same time there's no telling whether if that draft pick will even make it to the major leagues much less make an impact.

<< <i>Unlike football, high draft picks in baseball don't excite me. In football a top draft pick can be an immediate game changer that season while a baseball pick has to spend years in the minors developing. At the same time there's no telling whether if that draft pick will even make it to the major leagues much less make an impact. >>

When given a top 10 pick, the Giants have done pretty well in recent years.

2006 = Lincecum #10 (2007 debut, 2008 impact)
    2007 = Bumgarner #10 (2009 debut, 2010 impact)
    2008 = Posey #5 (2009 debut, 2010 impact)
    2009 = Wheeler #6 (2013 debut for Mets)

If you want some more depression, when the Giants drafted Brandon Belt in the 5th round of the 2009 draft, Goldschmidt was still on the board, and stayed there until the D-Backs got him in the 8th round.

<< <i>

<< <i>It is blatantly obvious this season is over. The sooner the organization comes to terms with that the better. >>

What does "come to terms with that" mean? What do YOU want to see the Giants do to improve for next season? >>

Management still thinks the team is in contention when everybody else knows that ship has sailed. Unless they go on an epic run of wins now it's probably too little too late. Dodgers keep winning while Giants wins are so rare you'd think every time they win a game there will be a parade down Market Street.

To improve management can start by not playing cheapskates and sign the best players available. No more hoping to catch lightning in a bottle hoping that under the radar players have a career year with the team. No more bargain basement over-the-hill veterans. Trade for talent, not for bargains. Be readily willing to demote and dispose of players who underperform. Quit hoping your marginal minor league starting pitchers will magically turn into Clayton Kershaw with glasses and the next coming of Greg Maddox. The fans have shown tremendous support by filling up the ballpark for three years straight and buying merchandise like crazy. It's about time the team operates like one that plays in the 4th largest media market in the country and sells out every game. If the team keeps playing like this that'll all end quickly, especially with the AL team across the bay playing like division leaders.

This is the San Francisco Bay Area, not Green Bay. If a chunk of the audience were leaving early during Matt Cain's perfect game last year (yeah, that really happened), the prospects of them sticking around during losing seasons is pretty dismal. Time for the organization to run the team like a big market team, not a small market one.

<< <i>Management still thinks the team is in contention when everybody else knows that ship has sailed. >>

Sabean's comments on KNBR kinda hint the otherwise. He's referred to "turning the page on this season."

<< <i>To improve management can start by not playing cheapskates and sign the best players available. >>

Who do you get? FA's or are you talking trades? Who do the Giants have that anyone would want?

Quit hoping your marginal minor league starting pitchers will magically turn into Clayton Kershaw with glasses and the next coming of Greg Maddox. >>

I think the hope was that Kickham would pitch like a average major league pitcher. What would you have done after Voggy broke his hand? Who do you have take his spot in the rotation?

Target key FA's in the offseason and during the season be willing to trade for good players to fill in weak spots. The Dodgers seem to not have problems landing decent players in trades. I'm sure the Giants could do the same. Sure the minor league farm is gutted of talent, but again if the Dodgers could pull off trades for decent players the Giants could as well. It really comes down to money and a team ownership's willingness to spend money.

As for Voge's replacement, the writing was on the wall after Kickham's first start. It was obvious he wasn't ready. Surkamp? He's great...at throwing batting practice. The Moscoso transaction from today is an example of scraping the bottom of the can. They could have dealt for a middle but proven talent like Matt Garza (or Bud Norris) but instead they went for the cheap route again hoping he'll somehow miraculously pull off the half season of his career while he's here. Sometimes that strategy works for Sabean, like the Scutaro deal of last year, but that was the exception and not the norm.

As fast as guys like Posey, Bumgarner and Lincecum shot through the minors, baseball draft picks don't immediately impact the team. Unlike football you don't have guys getting drafted in April, start in September then lead their team into the playoffs by December.

<< <i>The Moscoso transaction from today is an example of scraping the bottom of the can. >>

The Moscoso transaction from today is evidence that the Giants management realize that the season is toast. While they might still go try and get someone to be a long-term solution (young, under control), don't expect any huge moves to be made between now and the end of the season. Right now we'll be having tryouts for next year. I'm actually kinda excited to see what Brown and Kischnick can do.

There wouldn't have been a 2010 or 2012 championship w/o Lincecum, Bumgarner, and Posey.

• 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    I love the guy who says 'you need to sign big name, big dollar free agents!' without making a single suggestion of whom that might be. Here's a hint: those days of building a winning roster through big dollar free agents are long gone. The Dodgers got decent players in trades who are making HUGE dollars. Sorry guy but the Giants can't and shouldn't pay $250 million in salary.

By the way, SF is paying $142 million in payroll this year (good for 6th), so your suggesting that the way to win is through big dollar free agents is both sorely out of date and proving itself to be a losing formula. Relief comes big time next year when Zito and Lincecum rolling off the books and if they come back will be signed for far less than their 2013 salaries. Hunter Pence becomes a free agent next year, and I sincerely doubt he makes $14 million a year in his next deal.

With those contracts pushed down, who out there is a realistic help for the Giants? You really want to invest the $100+ million it would cost to sign Robinson Cano, who will be 31? Nelson Cruz, who will be 33? Or any of the 30 year old+ pitchers who will become free agents?

In today's game, you HAVE to reload through the draft. Period. It's foolish to plunk down 10s if not 100s of millions of dollars to guys who are on the wrong side of 30.

My wife got us tickets to tonight's game as a Fathers' Day gift from our kids, so the two of us are heading out in a few hours. Seats are field level over by the LF corner.

Gonna eat a Cha-Cha Bowl, maybe a hot dog, and hope that MadBum dominates. Weather says temps will be in the mid 50s, so I'll likely to be making a run to the Ghirardelli cart to get my wife some hot cocoa. I made sure to check ahead of time where all the food spots were so I don't have to hunt during the game.

Ticket prices being what they are, and my pickiness about wanting nice seats down by the field, we only get out to 1 game a year. Our track record over the past 5 years:

2008 = Jonathan Sanchez loses to the Brewers. Fielder planted one in the Cove.
    2009 = Matt Cain beats the A's. Cain dominated and Nate hit an inside-the-park HR.
    2010 = Matt Cain beats the Mets. Cain was shaky but the Giants offence bailed him out.
    2011 = Did FanFest instead, sucked. Got there too late to get in and ended up standing out in a giant line for most of the day, getting let in just before closing. Enough time to eat a hot dog, and take some pics down on the field.
    2012 = Matt Cain beats the Cubs. Stupid turn-back-the-clock-to-1912 day. Got a few big 5 cent bags of peanuts though. That was cool.
    2013 = Bumgarner vs the Cubs.

Team better find a way to win games when they score zero runs...

Load the stinking bases inning after inning then fail to score a damn run. So did anybody in the ballpark really think when they loaded the bases in the 9th they were actually going to score? No effing way. They couldn't even buy a run right now. You know hope is long gone after Schierholtz hit that homer making the score 1-0 people started filing out of the ballpark because they knew the game was over.

A few weeks ago it was everybody in the bullpen except Romo sucked. Now it's everybody including Romo in the bullpen sucks. Bumgarner gets Cain'd again. I think the fans are actually hoping Bumgarner goes postal in the clubhouse.

Maybe if the entire team was released and the rest of the season forfeited, the team could keep its dignity. Top of the order, middle of the order, bottom of the order, it doesn't matter. The sucking is everywhere. Maybe the team could petition to commence a disaster draft because this season has been one giant disaster.

<< <i>Target key FA's in the offseason and during the season be willing to trade for good players to fill in weak spots. The Dodgers seem to not have problems landing decent players in trades. I'm sure the Giants could do the same. Sure the minor league farm is gutted of talent, but again if the Dodgers could pull off trades for decent players the Giants could as well. It really comes down to money and a team ownership's willingness to spend money.
    >>

Who are these 'key free agents' they should target? And not spending money? They're already sixth!

<< <i>Load the stinking bases inning after inning then fail to score a damn run. So did anybody in the ballpark really think when they loaded the bases in the 9th they were actually going to score? No effing way. They couldn't even buy a run right now. You know hope is long gone after Schierholtz hit that homer making the score 1-0 people started filing out of the ballpark because they knew the game was over. >>

Exciting to see Bumgarner mow down the Cubs for 8 fantastic innings, not exciting to see the Giants load the bases with nobody out and Posey, Sandoval, and Pence due up. Seemed like no one could do anything other than hit the ball at the ground in front of home plate.

The place was still packed through the final pitch. We were all on our feet when Abreu came up.

The trip to the game was a bit of a doozy. Apparently some grass fire next to the 80 slowed traffic down to a crawl for a while, then when we finally got to the Lafayette BART station, our train was pulling out of the station right as we were walking into the platform. We get the next train to the Embarcadero station, get our Muni tickets, then had to stand around for about 30 min as they sorted out some sort of mechanical issue and got the trains moving again. My wife and I were in our seats (section 130) right as the Giants were coming up to bat in the bottom of the 2nd. My wife and I chowed down on some Cha Cha Bowls and then I had my hot dog. Freaking cold the whole time too, even with a jacket on. Some dude in our area apparently never took a bath before, and we got a whiff every so often when the winds shifted. Ugh.

Apparently drinking beer on the BART is a thing or something. On the way in, some preppy white dude was sitting there drinking a beer, even taking a picture of himself drinking the beer and posting it on his Facebook or something. On the way back, two guys were drinking 40s in brown paper bags. Seriously? Sacramento's LightRail isn't as posh as BART, so maybe that's why I never see dudes drinking on it.

Giants also gained ground in their quest for a top 5 draft pick, passing San Diego and taking over 6th place.

1. Astros - 0
    2. Marlins - 4.5
    3. White Sox - 6
    4. Brewers - 8
    5. Twins - 11 (.446)
    6. Giants - 11 (.447)
    7. Padres - 11 (.448)

Buster Posey's last 8 games....

7/21: 0-3 (flyout, groundout, walk, flyout)
    7/22: 1-2 (linedrive single, groundout)
    7/23a: 0-3 (lineout, groundout, strikeout)
    7/23b: 0-3 (hbp, groundout x2, flyout)
    7/24: 0-1 (groundout)
    7/26: 0-4 (lineout x2, groundout, strikeout)
    7/27: 0-3 (groundout x3, walk)
    7/28: 0-4 (strikeout x2, groundout x2)

1-23 over the last 8 games, with 12 ground-outs, 4 strikeouts, 3 line-outs, and 3 fly-outs.

Reigning NL MVP. Either he's hurt or the league figured out how to pitch to him, and now he can't get a ball in the air to save his life.

SWEPT AT HOME BY THE CUBS - EOM.

Apparently Sabean is asking for a "major league ready starting pitcher" in exchange for Javier Lopez.

Doesn't hurt to ask. I'm sure the response would be "LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! I'll call you back when I've calmed down. LOLOLOLOL!" *CLICK - BRRRRRRRRRR*

<< <i>Buster Posey's last 8 games....

7/21: 0-3 (flyout, groundout, walk, flyout)
    7/22: 1-2 (linedrive single, groundout)
    7/23a: 0-3 (lineout, groundout, strikeout)
    7/23b: 0-3 (hbp, groundout x2, flyout)
    7/24: 0-1 (groundout)
    7/26: 0-4 (lineout x2, groundout, strikeout)
    7/27: 0-3 (groundout x3, walk)
    7/28: 0-4 (strikeout x2, groundout x2)

1-23 over the last 8 games, with 12 ground-outs, 4 strikeouts, 3 line-outs, and 3 fly-outs.

Reigning NL MVP. Either he's hurt or the league figured out how to pitch to him, and now he can't get a ball in the air to save his life. >>

Guys go through bad stretches. 23 at bats really isn't statistically significant. It's about 3% of a normal season. Of all the guys on the Giants Posey would be the guy I'm least worried about.
    Posey's been one of the few guys on the team who hasn't had a prolonged slump in his career. It's noticeable when he gets a "bases loaded, no outs" AB two games in a row and has nothing to show for it.

Posey's going to be around for a long time, but when Posey slumps, the Giants suffer badly.

<< <i>Apparently Sabean is asking for a "major league ready starting pitcher" in exchange for Javier Lopez.

Doesn't hurt to ask. I'm sure the response would be "LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! I'll call you back when I've calmed down. LOLOLOLOL!" *CLICK - BRRRRRRRRRR* >>

The whole stinking team isn't worth a starting pitcher.

Here's an idea: load the current team on to a bus, drive the bus into McCovey Cove then replace the roster with 25 guys from Momo's and 21st Amendment. I'm sure they would win more games than the current team.

They play 29 games in August mostly against good teams. Wait, even a high school ball club would look like a Major League playoff team against the Giants right now. So how many games will they win in August with the current lineup? They'll go 3-26 if they're really lucky.

Will this train wreck of a team even win 55 games this year? I don't know.

If we were in Philly the fans would be beyond throwing batteries. They'd be hurling Molotov (c)ocktails at the home dugout by now.
    Might as well call Brett Pill back up, see if he figured anything out. He's slaughtering the PCL right now.

As for Lopez, he's good at what he does. I could see him getting a premium price from a desperate team. But a "major league ready" starting pitcher? That's implying that he's in the minors but ready for the majors. We could easily end up getting some other team's version of Mike Kickham or Y. Petit.

Hey, WTCG, we're still waiting for those 'key free agents' you'd bring in that would make this team better.

<< <i>Hey, WTCG, we're still waiting for those 'key free agents' you'd bring in that would make this team better. >>

Screw the free agents. It is obvious this organization has already given up. Good thing for the ownership game tickets are non refundable. A roster full of high school players would be an upgrade for this team.

<< <i>Exciting to see Bumgarner mow down the Cubs for 8 fantastic innings, not exciting to see the Giants load the bases with nobody out and Posey, Sandoval, and Pence due up. Seemed like no one could do anything other than hit the ball at the ground in front of home plate.

The place was still packed through the final pitch. We were all on our feet when Abreu came up.

The trip to the game was a bit of a doozy. Apparently some grass fire next to the 80 slowed traffic down to a crawl for a while, then when we finally got to the Lafayette BART station, our train was pulling out of the station right as we were walking into the platform. We get the next train to the Embarcadero station, get our Muni tickets, then had to stand around for about 30 min as they sorted out some sort of mechanical issue and got the trains moving again. My wife and I were in our seats (section 130) right as the Giants were coming up to bat in the bottom of the 2nd. My wife and I chowed down on some Cha Cha Bowls and then I had my hot dog. Freaking cold the whole time too, even with a jacket on. Some dude in our area apparently never took a bath before, and we got a whiff every so often when the winds shifted. Ugh.

Apparently drinking beer on the BART is a thing or something. On the way in, some preppy white dude was sitting there drinking a beer, even taking a picture of himself drinking the beer and posting it on his Facebook or something. On the way back, two guys were drinking 40s in brown paper bags. Seriously? Sacramento's LightRail isn't as posh as BART, so maybe that's why I never see dudes drinking on it. >>

After the Schierholtz homer, on TV it looked like the stands were under fire evacuation orders.

Next time you find yourself headed to a game, remember that the Embarcadero Bart/ Muni station is within walking distance. At most it is a very safe 15 minute walk through attractive scenery along the Embarcadero waterfront. If there is any line at all at the ticket machines or any delay on the Muni service whatsoever, simply walk. After the game walk back to the Embarcadero station. It's a lot faster than waiting amongst the crowds squeezing onto a Muni Metro train. Always take Bart, the ferry or public transit to the ball park. Don't drive. There is also direct ferry service to the dock at McCovey Cove from Oakland Jack London Square, which is a good option from the East Bay.

I wasn't in San Francisco on Saturday but the weather has been virtually the same the last four days. The last few days have been colder and breezier than normal even for SF standards.

Downing alcoholic beverages is the norm on public transit headed to games. If you thought there was heavy drinking on Bart you should check out Caltrain an hour before first pitch.

<< <i>Screw the free agents. It is obvious this organization has already given up. Good thing for the ownership game tickets are non refundable. A roster full of high school players would be an upgrade for this team. >>

A great reason to play for next year's draft. Get first pick out of all the high school and college players.

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey, WTCG, we're still waiting for those 'key free agents' you'd bring in that would make this team better. >>

Screw the free agents. It is obvious this organization has already given up. Good thing for the ownership game tickets are non refundable. A roster full of high school players would be an upgrade for this team. >>

No, you're not getting off that easy. You have repeatedly said what the team needs to do to get better is to bring in key free agents and upgrade. What we want to know is who these mystery players are that are readily available to upgrade the team, and how much the team should pay them, since you know, you have all the answers in how to make the team better and all.
    WTCG, was that you calling into the Gary and Larry show on KNBR this morning? Some guy called up and suggested that the Giants trade everyone who's been on an all-star team in the past 2 years for prospects, and cut everyone else.

Other GMs are reporting that when inquiring about Pence, the Giants have told them "We'd rather re-sign him."

That's probably GM speak for "You'll need to over-pay for him."

Hmm. Jason Bay just got DFA'ed. Maybe the Giants will go get him now. He's just as bad as Francoeur, but with more power.

It's been reported by Fresno sports reporter that Brett Pill and Roger Kieschnick have been removed from the Fresno Grizzlies active roster. He's speculating that a trade is about to get announced, as opposed to a call-up.

Edit to add:

Andy Baggarly looked at the same source and is speculating that it's more likely that they're getting promoted than dealt.

Edit to add:

Hank Schulman confirms that Pill and Kieschnick are getting called up. No corresponding moves the other way yet.

Maybe someone's hurt? Or maybe someone's getting traded?

edit to add:
    Baggs was told that speculating about Tanaka or Francoeur being involved in the corresponding roster moves would be wrong. Hmm, is Belt and/or Pence getting ready to say good-bye?

Edit to add...
    Someone was messing with Baggs. Tanaka optioned. Abreu to the DL.

That was nice of the Giants to bring Tanaka to the White House. He stood right behind Obama in the team pic.

Roger Kieschnick. Drafted in 2008, he's got power, plays a slick outfield, and enough speed to take an extra base from time to time. His minor league career was mired by injuries in 2010 and 2012. Mostly back issues, so that could be a ticking time bomb right there. At age 26, he's not really a prospect anymore, but he could be a solid middle-of-the-order type bat for a while. Sabean said 1 month ago that he wasn't anywhere near being ready to face MLB pitching. I don't know if something changed, or Sabean realized that Kieschnick will fit right in with the scuffling team hitting as poorly as it is. Guess we'll see.

Brett Pill's a 4A player, and I guess Sabean wants to get confirmation on it one more time before saying good-bye. Of course, it could also light a fire under Belt and get him going... though that didn't really work the last time. Eh. Whatever.

2008 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Roger Kieschnick AU #/25

And...... Brian Wilson is now a Dodger. image

I was kinda hoping the Pirates would grab him. He'd be a perfect fit with that beard.

Now he's going to be in our face all the time wearing Dodger blue.

Spent yesterday on the road but it turned out to be a good day. At least the team didn't lose a game yesterday.

Tonight it's a team that can't buy a run much less score one playing a team that hasn't won in such a long time that their fans, instead of showing up with pockets full of used batteries, aren't even bothering to show up anymore. First instinct is the Phils will snap out of their losing streak in a big way while the Giants continue their fall into oblivion. With Zito pitching in a hitter's park and the Giants inability to hit, what could possibly go wrong? I don't care if they're going up against a guy with an ERA in the 5's. They can make a high school pitcher look like Clayton Kershaw for a night. Hell, if Kickham pitched against the Giants even he could throw a shutout.

Wilson signing with L.A. was not a surprise. He lives in the L.A. area, is mad at the Giants for what he feels was a lowball offer, wants to spite his old team, L.A. is in first place, have money to blow, and they like high profile players who draw attention. He was the ideal fit, for at least the publicity and to publicly spite their main rival. Granted he was an elite closer in 2010 but I've never had that much confidence in the guy and I've always felt he was the luckiest reliever in the majors for 2 1/2 years. Now coming off another surgery whether he'll actually be effective on the field is another matter.

And for the record I've never called in to a radio talk show in my life but its good to know someone else is just as PO'd and understands that winning the World Series last year doesn't make it okay to become the worst team in baseball this year.

<< <i>And...... Brian Wilson is now a Dodger. image

I was kinda hoping the Pirates would grab him. He'd be a perfect fit with that beard.

Now he's going to be in our face all the time wearing Dodger blue. >>

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Wilson essentially pushing his way to be on the main stage at last year's victory celebration, despite not pitching at all, was in poor form. The guy is a distraction, and more interested in his own celebrity status than in actually being a teammate. You'd think a guy who got 2 rings in three years of work would be a bit more thankful, but that doesn't appear to be in their nature at all.

As bad as the Giants have been, I find it astonishing the number of spoiled rotten fans (I'm looking at you WTCG) who somehow feel entitled to win every year. Good lord your tantrums about the team, and dumping them all in favor of guys off the street REEKS of bandwagon riding, front running, the worst kind of fan there is. Look, guy, you don't get to win every year. Be THANKFUL you got to experience a world series win, let alone two! The fact that you didn't celebrate that at all shows what a bunch of spoiled brat fans the team truly has (and of which you are quite clearly a member).

The team has struggled this year, which sucks. But sitting here, post after post, claiming it's the end of the world? Show some class, son.

<< <i>As bad as the Giants have been, I find it astonishing the number of spoiled rotten fans (I'm looking at you WTCG) who somehow feel entitled to win every year. Good lord your tantrums about the team, and dumping them all in favor of guys off the street REEKS of bandwagon riding, front running, the worst kind of fan there is. Look, guy, you don't get to win every year. Be THANKFUL you got to experience a world series win, let alone two! The fact that you didn't celebrate that at all shows what a bunch of spoiled brat fans the team truly has (and of which you are quite clearly a member).

The team has struggled this year, which sucks. But sitting here, post after post, claiming it's the end of the world? Show some class, son. >>

Show some class? You first. When people disagree with you you resort to name calling, accusations and vulgarities. And why do I even bother to respond to anybody with a hidden profile and a disabled PM function (the hallmarks of an internet troll)? Good question. My fault really.

Never mind another World Series win. People like myself are just hoping they win 60 games this year. By the look of things in the last two months that might not happen. Never mind the postseason or the wild card race. They're on track to post the worst season record in the league and their worst season record in team history.

Hey, the offense woke up today. Too bad it was the Phillies offense.

The worst type of fans are the apologists and positive spin doctors. They keep reminding everybody that the current team is the same team that won the World Series last season, which is largely true. Well, it's the same team but here we are now coming into August and the team is in last place. They're 17-34 since June 1 and 13 games below .500, but that's okay because they're the same team. For the rest of us, for the money we spend, we demand a top quality product in return.
    There's something going around the Internet about Hinter Pence getting traded to Boston. Any truth to that?

Edited: Never mind. Very false alarm.

<< <i>
    Show some class? You first. When people disagree with you you resort to name calling, accusations and vulgarities. And why do I even bother to respond to anybody with a hidden profile and a disabled PM function (the hallmarks of an internet troll)? Good question. My fault really.
    >>

Because I don't want PMs. If you have something to say to me, say it here, don't hide behind a PM.

<< <i>Never mind another World Series win. People like myself are just hoping they win 60 games this year. By the look of things in the last two months that might not happen. Never mind the postseason or the wild card race. They're on track to post the worst season record in the league and their worst season record in team history. >>

So what? The fact that in your twitter history you don't even have an acknowledgement of the giants winning the world series (your own definition of the only success) speaks volumes.

<< <i>The worst type of fans are the apologists and positive spin doctors. They keep reminding everybody that the current team is the same team that won the World Series last season, which is largely true. Well, it's the same team but here we are now coming into August and the team is in last place. They're 17-34 since June 1 and 13 games below .500, but that's okay because they're the same team. For the rest of us, for the money we spend, we demand a top quality product in return. >>

No, you are the worst type of fan. Obviously new to sports, you think that anything other than winning a title is a worthless season. You've said so yourself. The 49ers getting to the world series on the arm and legs of a guy who had started just 10 games was still a failure in your eyes. Pathetic. I can't imagine getting so little joy out of sports as you obviously do. Awful.

<< <i>There's something going around the Internet about Hinter Pence getting traded to Boston. Any truth to that? >>

Nope, some people pranked Pence, and he fell for it apparently.

It seems to be accepted as fact that Lopez will get dealt. Tigers are a name that keeps getting brought up.

Here's a dark thought: what some current Giants are on the list of Biogenesis names that MLB is planning on suspending shortly?

<< <i>It seems to be accepted as fact that Lopez will get dealt. Tigers are a name that keeps getting brought up. >>

Umm, apparently the Giants are demanding a top starting pitching prospect in return for Lopez. Maybe Lopez won't go anywhere then.

The D-backs just traded Ian Kennedy to the Padres for a LOOGY (inferior to Lopez), a minor league reliever, and a draft pick. I guess the Giants don't like Kennedy and think he's broken. Either that or they think he's a head-hunter after his tift with the Dodgers earlier in the season.

Looks like the Giants decided that they're going to re-sign Lopez at the end of the year, because he's still here.

Sabean wanted a top-flight pitching prospect in return for Lopez, and got LOL'ed at. That's one way to price yourself out of the market.

Top pitching prospect for slugger Beltran in 2011? Made sense at the time.
    Top pitching prospect for a LOOGY in 2013? Pipe dream.

Apparently Bumgarner jokingly walked around the clubhouse hugging everyone, saying good bye, and to keep in touch.

I'm sure the beat-writers got wide-eyed for a moment there.

Lopez and Pence are both relieved to stay put. While the Giants haven't initiated any sort of negotiation for an extension, Pence is apparently pestering them with his enthusiasm about sticking around in SF. Lopez prefers to stay here too. Mercenaries they are not, I guess. But money talks, and BS walks. We'll see what happens after the season ends.

Guess everybody is staying put for now but I expect most of those guys to hit the waiver wire.

When I heard Ian Kennedy was being shopped around I thought perhaps the Giants would be interested. Didn't think the D-Backs would actually trade him to a division rival though.
    Unless Kevin Towers really hates Brian Sabean, or sees the Giants as a permanent threat, I've got to think that he called him up and presented a Kennedy for Lopez+ type of offer.

Still, Kennedy has fallen on hard times.

2011: 2.88 era, 1.086 whip, 222 ip
    2012: 4.02 era, 1.301 whip, 208.1 ip
    2013: 5.23 era, 1.419 whip, 124 ip

Compare to Lincecum....

2011: 2.74 era, 1.207 whip, 217 ip
    2012: 5.18 era, 1.468 whip, 186 ip
    2013: 4.61 era, 1.346 whip, 127 ip