Home Sports Talk

SF Giants 2013 off-season thread: SF add OF Mike Morse for 1 yr/ $6m

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merts starting to play better baseball...Wheeler has looked pretty impressive thus far. Glad to have him.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Kickham got optioned right after the game.. You know what that means kids? IIIIIIT's FRENCHY TIME! >>

It might not be Frenchy time just quite yet. Casilla's apparently ready to come off the DL.

<< <i>Merts starting to play better baseball...Wheeler has looked pretty impressive thus far. Glad to have him. >>

Yup. Beltran's been awesome for the Cards too. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Yup. Beltran's been awesome for the Cards too. image >>

Beltran didn't want to play in a pitcher's park like AT&T park...which is why they didn't re-sign him.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the dynamic for the Giants will be "every other year".

2010 - WS Champs;

2011- Did not make the playoffs (if I recall correctly);

2012 - WS Champs;

2013 - Looking pretty bad and if they do not turn things around no playoffs this year; and

2014 - Maybe WS Champs again?
    Going from first to worst isn't new for Bochy. He actually went from first to worst and back to first again.

1996 Padres = Won NL West (91-71)
    1997 Padres = last place in NL West (76-86)
    1998 Padres = Won NL West (98-64)

BREAKING: Giants Mascot Lou Seal to the DL with broken dreams. Parker the Grizzly Bear called up from Fresno.

Machi got the call up, not Casilla.

Anyways, being that the 40 man roster is full, someone's going to need to get DFA'ed (or DL'ed for 60 games) in order for Frenchy to join the team, or Voggy to come off the 60 day DL for that matter.

Also, we probably won't see Kontos for a few games. He's serving his 3 game suspension in SD.

Over the past 15 games, the Giants are 3-12. Those 3 wins all belong to Bumgarner. He seems totally unaffected by the team's woes.

Seeing the Giants stick it to another team like this makes me think some crazy thoughts... maybe they're not done?

It's been reported that Casilla and Francoeur will be activated tomorrow. Casilla will likely replace someone they can option back to Fresno (Kontos, Machi, Rosario, Dunning). Francoeur is a little trickier. He'll need a 25 man roster spot and a 40 man roster spot. So, who gets DFA'ed to make room for Francoeur?

Torres?

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Looks like they pulled a Mets on the Friars. Two hapless teams playing each other and one had to win. Hopefully they didn't score all their allotted runs for the month on last night's game.

If they win tonight it'll be a win streak. We haven't used that term in a very long time.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    Roster moves....

Machi and Noonan sent back to Fresno.
    Casilla activated from the DL.
    Jeff Francoeur's contact purchased.
    Chris Heston (RHP, Fresno) DFA'ed.

Heston's a guy who was at one point seen as a future rotation guy, but he's struggled in Fresno with a 5.80 era and a 1.610 WHIP. Odd that the Giants would just dump him off for free like they did Gillespie (who the Cubs picked up), so there might be a trade in the works.

As far as my collection is concerned, it's going to be a pain to get a that 2002 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor Jeff Francoeur rookie card. Some folks took a brutal bath on his stuff back when he was awesome several years ago. Even though he's sucked for the past few seasons, his cards are still very high, as the folks selling them are trying to minimize the loss they're going to suffer from purchasing his cards when they were super high.

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Congrats to the local boy!

No-hitter for Tim Lincecum. Dude seems to have a milestone in every year of his professional career (minus 2011)...

2006 = drafted by the Giants
    2007 = makes MLB debut after owning the minors
    2008 = NL Cy Young Award winner.
    2009 = NL Cy Young Award winner.
    2010 = Wins WS as a starter.
    2011 = ....
    2012 = Wins WS as a reliever.
    2013 = No hitter.

Pablo's looking lithe and agile again, and is making hard contact again. He's looking like he's returning to pre-DL form.
    Posey's caught fire.

It's the Padres, but still, Timmy was in control, and that was the first time he saw the 8th inning this year, and the first time he's seen the 9th since 2011.

If he sprinkled a few hits here and there, Posey would have been done after 7. With a huge lead, Boch probably figured that letting Timmy go for the no-no would be good for a moral booster, both for Lincecum and for the team.

Padres have made great punching bags. Hopefully this will generate momentum that can carry the team past the break.

I noticed that Francoeur was the first Giant out of the dugout to rush Lincecum after the final out was made. Heh.

No hitter? Eh, WTCG is not impressed..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>No hitter? Eh, WTCG is not impressed.. >>

Hard to be impressed when you're on a plane for 7 1/2 hours today and missed most of the game. Besides by the 7th I'd probably be too nervous to watch.

Anyways maybe this series is what the team needs to get back on track. Last week the offense was so awful the thinking was if one of the pitchers threw a perfect game the team would still lose. The offense has finally awakened in the last few days and the pitching might fall in place so perhaps this season could still be salvaged. Of course the team still controls its destiny for the most part.

Cain gets destroyed and doesn't last an inning while Lincecum throws a no-no. Nobody ever saw that coming. Was this his first complete game since 2011? After 148 pitches that arm deserves a good rest.

Hey, maybe Frenchy is the team's new good luck charm. Crawford, Pablo and Pence look like they're starting to hit.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

<< <i>No hitter? Eh, WTCG is not impressed.. >>

Yeah I mean it's not like it was a perfect game after all.
    so perhaps this season could still be salvaged.

You just recently predicted no more than 50 wins for the Giants this season, so by salvaged do you mean losing just 90 games instead of 110?

<< <i>so perhaps this season could still be salvaged.

You just recently predicted no more than 50 wins for the Giants this season, so by salvaged do you mean losing just 90 games instead of 110? >>

A team is only as good as their last few games. If you watched their Dodgers, Mets and Miami series you would've thought the same thing. In the last month they have the worst record in all of the majors. Not one of the worst but the absolute worst. Until this series the pitching was atrocious and all but two position players couldn't buy a hit much less get hits.

<< <i>

You just recently predicted no more than 50 wins for the Giants this season, so by salvaged do you mean losing just 90 games instead of 110? >>

A team is only as good as their last few games. If you watched their Dodgers, Mets and Miami series you would've thought the same thing. In the last month they have the worst record in all of the majors. Not one of the worst but the absolute worst. Until this series the pitching was atrocious and all but two position players couldn't buy a hit much less get hits. >>

Good thing they make the season 162 games, I guess, then! Lol..

<< <i>

A team is only as good as their last few games. If you watched their Dodgers, Mets and Miami series you would've thought the same thing. In the last month they have the worst record in all of the majors. Not one of the worst but the absolute worst. Until this series the pitching was atrocious and all but two position players couldn't buy a hit much less get hits. >>

Actually a team is as good as it's record for the *entire season*. Your unending negativity about the teams you claim to love is one of the most incessantly annoying things I have ever encountered in the world of sports fandom. The fact that you are either unable or unwilling to take any joy from any moment is evidence you are a glutton of punishment and misery. The fact that you can't even take joy in a freakin' no hitter without complaining about the last handful of games is all I need to know about how miserable a person you truly must be.

I pity you. Honestly, I do. When someone is so fixated on failure and unable to recognize any accomplishment as positive then that person has some serious deep-seated issues that really need to be addressed on a professional level.

Oh yeah, Road Zito. image

2013 at Home: 4-1, 2.45 era, 1.278 whip (Giants 8-3)
    2013 on Road: 0-5, 9.38 era, 2.400 whip (Giants 0-7)

edit to add:

Aaaaand, he gets the hook after walking the first batter of the 3rd inning.
    Final line: 2+ ip, 4 hits, 3 runs (all homers), 2 walks, 0 strikeouts. 41 pitches (20 for strikes).

Poor Boch. Once again, all the offence on the field was in the other dugout tonight, same as it is in SF most of the time.

Oh well. NL "home field advantage" resulted in the Giants celebrating their World Series clinchers in AL parks, so it doesn't seem like it's all that great.

Poor Bochy is right. The NL team basically turned into the Giants:Lots of good talent with decent pitching but unable to get anything going on offense.
    Oh well. Think of it this way, if the Giants manage to pull off a mega-turn around, and then go into invincibility mode for the World Series (like they did in 2010 and 2012), we'll finally see what a Giants World Series clincher looks like at AT&T Park.

Blegh. In case anyone was hoping that Eric Surkamp would be a knight in shining armor...

4 2/3 innings, 10 hits, 6 runs, 2 BB and 6 K's on 99 pitches

Sabean basically said that there are no plans to trade Lincecum.

However, everything out of Sabean's mouth is propaganda, and saying that Lincecum is not on the block is basically saying that his price will be very high.

If the Giants end up not moving him, they can make him a "qualifying offer" (a 1 year deal at the average salary of the 125 highest paid players) and if he rejects it, the Giants will get a supplemental 1st round pick.

Offense only managed 2 runs, but the D-backs got held scoreless due to "Hands" Guadin turning into this year's version of 2011 Vogelsong.

When Voggy comes back, and if he's strong, the Giants will have some big decisions to make.

2 out of 3 from the D-Backs is not a bad way to start the 2nd half. Affeldt's going to be gone a month or so due to a groin strain. Apparently he's been playing hurt for the past 2 weeks, and it finally got him. If he was playing hurt, then that would help explain his melt down in the game vs the Mets, but not his 4 bad games in June. Anyways, if they want to make a run for it, now they'll need to find a reliever. I don't know if they really want to have 3 rookies in their bullpen down the stretch.

Oddly enough, the schedule doesn't have the Giants facing an NL West opponent until the end of next month.

The Giants don't have much more time to determine if they'll buy or sell at the deadline, but the test is here. If the Giants have a poor showing vs the Reds (and Cubs), then I think we see the Giants shift into "sell" mode.

July:
    4 vs Reds
    3 vs Cubs
    3 @ Philly

It's pretty much confirmed that Eric Surkamp will be making his season debut and taking the mound for one of tomorrow's double-header games. The league allows for a 26th man to be part of the roster for situations like this, so it'll be right back to Fresno after he's done.

After that:
    August
    3 @ Rays
    4 vs Brewers
    3 vs Orioles
    3 @ Nats
    3 @ Marlins
    3 vs Red Sox
    4 vs Pirates

Then it's back to the NL west:
    3 @ Rockies
    3 @ D-Backs
    September:
    3 @ Padres
    4 vs D-Backs
    3 vs Rockies
    4 @ Dodgers
    3 @ Mets (!)
    3 @ Yankees (!)
    3 vs Dodgers
    3 vs Padres

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    5.5 GB is pretty big when the team needs to leap frog both D-Backs and Dodgers and (sort of) the Rockies. They need to be in 2nd before then end of August.

I don't know if this is going to amount to anything, but Brian Wilson privately worked out for Dave Righetti and bullpen coach Bill Hayes today. It's been the 2nd such workout. Apparently Hayes caught both sessions.

When asked if the Giants have interest in Wilson, Bobby Evans said that the door has always been open for Wilson to come back, and that it never closed.

Of course, if the Giants brought back Wilson, what would he come back as? Closer? Setup man? Or back to the closer-by-committee?

Conventional wisdom says if the team lays an egg in the next two series they should be sellers at the trade deadline, but my prediction is that won't happen for the same reason the San Jose Sharks should have torn down and rebuilt several seasons ago but didn't and won't. As much as I hate to admit it, the Bay Area fan base is on the bandwagony side and while this season is essentially sold out, if they blow up the team now they can expect the sell out streak to end early next season. The A's are playing well and this is the ripe time for a large part of the Giants fan base to jump ship over to the East Bay. Start a sell-off and it's basically management throwing their own fans into the A's bandwagon. Keep the team intact and the fans will think the team is still in contention. From a financial standpoint it's more in the interest of the ownership to keep the team intact even if they underachieve on the field.

Since the All-Star break the pitching hasn't given up many runs but the offense is still showing signs of anemia. In Sunday's game Bumgarner got 'ol fashioned Cain'd.

If Wilson comes back I suspect he'll be part of the closer committee with Romo.
    It's the 4th inning and as expected they're getting destroyed by the Reds. So much for the pitchers not giving up many runs since the break.

<< <i>but my prediction is that won't happen for the same reason the San Jose Sharks should have torn down and rebuilt several seasons ago but didn't and won't. >>

You say the Giants own't ever rebuild, but look at the 2010 and 2012 teams. Posey and Sandoval are the only position players the two teams had in common. That's a pretty drastic turnover.

It seems like the Reds never have trouble scoring runs vs the Giants, and Lincecum appears to have put the rumor to rest that he's back.

The no-hitter was basically #55's memorial service, it appears.

How about them MFing Dodgers?
    June 30 = last place
    July 22 = first place (if the D-Backs lose the game' they're losing)

The rebuilding after 2010 happened mostly out of necessity more than any other reason. If the 2010 guys didn't get hurt in 2011 or demand obscene money given their abilities then I feel it's safe to say they would still be on the team today, for better or worse.

After 2010 World Series and in 2011:
    1B Huff: Hurt/ sucked
    2B Sanchez: Hurt
    SS Renteria: Over the hill and wanted to get paid. Got paid elsewhere.
    3B Uribe: Over the hill and wanted to get paid. Got paid elsewhere.
    OF Rowand: Sucked
    OF Burrell : Hurt
    OF Torres: Hurt/ sucked
    OF Ross: Sucked

Remember, none of the 2010 guys were traded to other teams mid season. The only one who was sent packing befor the season was done was Rowand who got DFA'd. I swear if circumstances were under management's control most of those guys would still be on the team today. Why? Because they caught lightning in a bottle in 2010.

As for #55, think of his last outing as throwback night. They happen once in a long time and when they do you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and for a night you get the chance to forget about all else that's wrong in the world. Tonight it was back to reality.
    There's absolutely zero chance bay area fans are going to flock from one of the best parks in the bigs in AT&T park to the dump that is the Oakland Coliseum. None. It doesn't matter if the A's win the world series, there simply isn't any critical number of fans who want to journey first of all to Oakland, second of all to that garbage heap they call a stadium. It's why (a) the A's are so desperate to get to San Jose and (b) why the Giants are so desperate to keep them out of SJ.
    Arroyo'ed again.

So, Kontos is torched, Machi and Dunning both pitched an inning, and we've got 18 innings of baseball with Barry Zito and Surkamp making his season debut.

I'm not to optimistic about tomorrow's double-header. How many innings will Zito and Surkamp handle? Over or under on 7 innings combined? I'd probably take the under. Bullpen is going to get trashed tomorrow.

<< <i>Arroyo'ed again.

So, Kontos is torched, Machi and Dunning both pitched an inning, and we've got 18 innings of baseball with Barry Zito and Surkamp making his season debut.

I'm not to optimistic about tomorrow's double-header. How many innings will Zito and Surkamp handle? Over or under on 7 innings combined? I'd probably take the under. Bullpen is going to get trashed tomorrow. >>

Surkamp? Hasn't he been pretty crappy in the minors so far? As for the 7 Zito and Surkamp innings, I'm taking the under.

<< <i>Surkamp? Hasn't he been pretty crappy in the minors so far? As for the 7 Zito and Surkamp innings, I'm taking the under. >>

His SJ work was good, and his AAA starts (besides his most recent start) were OK.
    SJ: 5 games, 15.1 ip, 8 hits, 6 runs, 3 walks, 17 so
    7/1: 5 ip, 5 hits, 1 run, 1 walks, 6 so
    7/6: 6 ip, 7 hits, 2 runs, 0 walks, 2 so
    7/11: 5 ip, 3 hits, 2 runs, 6 walks, 2 so
    7/18: 4.2 ip, 10 hits, 6 runs, 2 walks, 6 so

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭

<< <i> As much as I hate to admit it, the Bay Area fan base is on the bandwagony side and while this season is essentially sold out, if they blow up the team now they can expect the sell out streak to end early next season.... >>

You really think the Bay Area is more bandwagony than other places? I don't have much to gauge by having lived in LA (which I am sure is more bandwagony than average) and different spots in Nor Cal (including the Bay). With a few exceptions most teams do better in attendance when good and numbers go down when bad. That's human nature but I don't think it's bandwagony. The exceptions that sell out even when they suck are the exceptions. I remember going to Sac Kings games in the 90's, in BAD years, and they still had close to sell outs every night. I think that's rare though.

<< <i>

<< <i> As much as I hate to admit it, the Bay Area fan base is on the bandwagony side and while this season is essentially sold out, if they blow up the team now they can expect the sell out streak to end early next season.... >>

You really think the Bay Area is more bandwagony than other places? I don't have much to gauge by having lived in LA (which I am sure is more bandwagony than average) and different spots in Nor Cal (including the Bay). With a few exceptions most teams do better in attendance when good and numbers go down when bad. That's human nature but I don't think it's bandwagony. The exceptions that sell out even when they suck are the exceptions. I remember going to Sac Kings games in the 90's, in BAD years, and they still had close to sell outs every night. I think that's rare though. >>

The bay area fan base is no more bandwagon prone than any other fan base. Win two world series in three years and you're going to have a TON of casual fans start going to the park more, and it's a 'problem' that exactly every other team in every sport would love to take on. The Bay Area doesn't have inherently more bandwagon fans than any other market. Check out Boston, for example. How many bandwagon (i.e. casual) fans started showing up after their first world series win? Every winning teams see a huge influx in the casual fan after a title.

The Kings sold out in the 90s because (a) they were still relatively new to the area, and (b) that was literally the only thing to do. How have the Kings done lately in attendance?
    I'm not into bashing the fanbase.

Lets say the Giants are toast and need to retool for next year.

What do you want to see on the field next year?

As per contracts or team control, we've got the following locked in for next year:

C = Posey
    1b = Belt
    2b = Scutaro
    SS = Crawford
    3b = Sandoval
    LF = ?
    CF = Pagan
    RF = ?

Rotation:
    Cain
    Bumgarner
    Vogelsong (SF will probably pick up the $6.5 mil option for 2014)
    ?
    ?

Roster moves!

Kontos optioned to Fresno (he threw 60+ pitches in relief last night).
    Yusmeiro Petit's contract purchased from Fresno. So, Petit's back. He was starting in Fresno, and will probably be a long-man while he's up.

Corresponding 40-man roster move pending, but it's probably going to be San Jose Giants reliever Hunter Strickland going to the 60 day dl. Giants picked him up off wavers from the Pirates and put him in San Jose. He's been on the minor league DL since late May.

I've also heard that the Giants actually RELEASED Chris Heston. They DFA'ed him last week. I figured that if no one grabbed him, they'd outright him back to Fresno. I'm not sure why the Giants would just let a guy walk like this. He had a bad year this year, but he was good in previous years.

Edit to add:
    The corresponding roster move was to DFA Hunter Strickland. Wow. Strickland, though injured, was selected as a A+ All Star for San Jose for the work he did prior to his injury.

Surkamp went 2.2 innings, gave up 9 hits and 7 runs (2 homers). What the image !?!!??!

<< <i>

<< <i>

You really think the Bay Area is more bandwagony than other places? I don't have much to gauge by having lived in LA (which I am sure is more bandwagony than average) and different spots in Nor Cal (including the Bay). With a few exceptions most teams do better in attendance when good and numbers go down when bad. That's human nature but I don't think it's bandwagony. The exceptions that sell out even when they suck are the exceptions. I remember going to Sac Kings games in the 90's, in BAD years, and they still had close to sell outs every night. I think that's rare though. >>

The bay area fan base is no more bandwagon prone than any other fan base. Win two world series in three years and you're going to have a TON of casual fans start going to the park more, and it's a 'problem' that exactly every other team in every sport would love to take on. The Bay Area doesn't have inherently more bandwagon fans than any other market. Check out Boston, for example. How many bandwagon (i.e. casual) fans started showing up after their first world series win? Every winning teams see a huge influx in the casual fan after a title.

The Kings sold out in the 90s because (a) they were still relatively new to the area, and (b) that was literally the only thing to do. How have the Kings done lately in attendance? >>

I actually agree with him here. A byproduct of a team's success are the fans that latch on after the fact. They are the ones who fill in the extra seats at the ballpark, spend the most money on merchandise and advertise on the team's behalf by wearing apparel in public. The Bay Area isn't even in the same league as the SoCal crowd in terms of bandwagon mentality but a team in this area can't expect the same level of interest if they do not maintain their success on the field.

Case in point: in the last decade the San Jose Sharks have missed the playofffs one time. In the following year, season ticket sales dropped by an astounding 47%. While baseball has more mainstream interest than hockey, that says a lot about the area's fan mentality.

If the Giants experience a prolonged period of futility or stock their lineup with unknown players after a sell-off then they can expect their following to wane at a break-neck speed. They can't expect to rely on their laurels from winning the 2012 World Series to hold them over for the next decade. It might be possible in other smaller markets but not in the Bay Area.

As for Sacramento, there isn't much to do there other than hang out in Old Town or at Thunder Valley. Heck, even the AAA River Cats draw almost 10,000 per game.

<< <i>Surkamp went 2.2 innings, gave up 9 hits and 7 runs (2 homers). What the image !?!!??! >>

And who did that surprise? Nobody.

Surkamp is a control type pitcher and all, but his pitches remind me of batting practice throws. Maybe he's just trying to make Kickham feel better about his ERA.

AT&T is supposedly the most pitcher friendly park in the majors. Apparently the Reds never got the memo.

Since we took the under, I think we're gonna win tonight unless Zito pulls a miracle out of his pants.
    Kinda strange seeing the team in their road greys at AT&T. Finally beat the Reds with Zito pitching. Now there's something you don't see often.

<< <i>

<< <i>Surkamp went 2.2 innings, gave up 9 hits and 7 runs (2 homers). What the image !?!!??! >>

And who did that surprise? Nobody. >>

It surprised me. I didn't expect him to throw so poorly. It kinda shocks me how bad the Giants have been vs the Reds this year. They can't score runs (11 runs in 6 games) and can't stop runs from being scored (37 in 6 games).

<< <i>I've also heard that the Giants actually RELEASED Chris Heston. They DFA'ed him last week. I figured that if no one grabbed him, they'd outright him back to Fresno. I'm not sure why the Giants would just let a guy walk like this. He had a bad year this year, but he was good in previous years. >>

Hmm, after getting released he re-signed with the Giants.

I'm not sure now what the difference between between "release and re-sign" and "outright to minors" is.