Home Sports Talk

SF Giants 2013 off-season thread: SF add OF Mike Morse for 1 yr/ $6m

Comments

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I still have the 20+ game winner 2011 version of Ian Kennedy in my mind and the fact that he always seems to pitch well against the Giants. It's when you match his numbers against Lincecum's you realize since 2011 he's fallen off a cliff. His 2011 numbers were on par with Tim's but it seems he's regressed even more since.

Unless the Giants were getting Grienke or Ryu in return they probably wouldn't trade Lopez to a division rival especially given the team's dependence on lefty batters.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Heh, you know it's a rough season when the pitching coach has reconstructive elbow surgery and the AT&T Park PA announcer Renel misses games due to a broken knee-cap.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    Pretty impressive. The handy one pitched well, everybody except Pence got a hit and everybody got on base. Just hope they didn't score their total allotment of runs for August in one evening.

Any updates on Pablo?
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    Pablo's bruised heel isn't thought to be serious, and he isn't expected to miss any time.

How about that Brett Pill? 6-9 with 4 RBI and a homer since getting called back up.

How about that Roger Kieschnick? Rocking #22 and going 2-5 with 2 RBI in his MLB debut.

If these kids keep playing like this, it might mess up the Giants plans on getting a top 10 draft pick next year.....

Draft standings...
    Astros - 0
    White Sox - 4.5
    Marlins - 5
    Brewers - 9
    Twins - 10
    Giants - 11

Cain's certainly had his ups and downs this year. Not sure what that's all about. Good game. 1 run surrendered. If it wasn't for some good D behind him, he would have given up more.

Nice to see Boch go with the young guy (Roger Kieschnick) in a "game on the line" situation in the 9th instead of the veteran Francoeur. A regular 1st baseman probably makes the play on Kiesch's grounder though.

With Papelbon imploding like that (didn't Sox fans like to call him Papelblown?), it got pretty scary watching Romo try and do his best Brian Wilson impersonation. Phillies then did their best Giants impersonation and walked away from a bases loaded-nobody out situation with nothing.

Boch has already given the "you need to go with the hot bat" line to the media about the Belt vs Pill question. Belt's going to watch Pill play until Pill fails. I think we can expect to see more Kieschnick though.

Fun fact, this was the Giants 1st road series win vs a non NL west team since they took 3 out of 4 from the Cubs back in April.

• 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Nice to see Boch go with the young guy (Roger Kieschnick) in a "game on the line" situation in the 9th instead of the veteran Francoeur. A regular 1st baseman probably makes the play on Kiesch's grounder though.
    >>

Desperate times call for desperate measures perhaps. His one, unerring (and totally wrong IMO) approach has been ALWAYS to go with the veterans over the young guys, often resulting in the young guys never producing or turning out as well as they could/might/should have. This trait really showed itself in the Aubrey Huff debacle, in that the guy kept getting consistent playing time when it was clear to everyone outside the organization that he was done and there was a young guy waiting in the wings to take over.

<< <i>Boch has already given the "you need to go with the hot bat" line to the media about the Belt vs Pill question. Belt's going to watch Pill play until Pill fails. I think we can expect to see more Kieschnick though. >>

But what he says to the media and what he does in games are often in direct conflict with one another.
    In Boston they called John Papelbon "John PabelBOMB". In Philly they call him "the guy we're throwing batteries at". Last night was karma. The first time he's in a game after going off on his team he promptly blows a save, torpedoes the gem of a game his starter threw, all in front of the home crowd.

Last night one of the CSN Philly guys called the Giants the West Coast version of the Phillies and vice versa. Both teams have the talent on paper but find themselves underachieving for various reasons including bad luck. Hamels and Cain are basically mirror clones of one another. Despite both having great outings Cain god Hamel'd and Hamels got Cain'd. And perhaps as a tribute to Brian Wilson, Romo made his save way too interesting ala Wilson.

Tonight will be a tough one. They're playing an unfamiliar team against a pitcher who had an epic July and going 7-0 in his last seven starts including several complete games.

<< <i>

<< <i>Boch has already given the "you need to go with the hot bat" line to the media about the Belt vs Pill question. Belt's going to watch Pill play until Pill fails. I think we can expect to see more Kieschnick though. >>

But what he says to the media and what he does in games are often in direct conflict with one another. >>

And as if on cue, Belt starts and Pill sits. Roger K's in there though.

To Bochy the lefty to righty matchup thing means the world to him. Whatever Pill does or doesn't do I don't see them sending Belt anywhere, though.
    Zito's in the pen for now. Moscoso's scheduled to take Zito's start on Sunday.

Can't really call Zito a "relief" pitcher, as he relieves nothing. He should be called a heart-burn pitcher.

Nice win against a very good Rays team today, even more so doing it on the road, with Belt providing the fireworks.

The Brandons did all the damage tonight. Craw's been getting hot lately, and Belt got to clear his mind a little.

Losing ground on Houston. Offense DOA. Offense looked DOA from both teams until Machi said "F*k this, I wanna go home." - Walk, Walk, Walk, single, game over.

Looks like that Lincecum vs Posey nonsence is over. Timmy's attributing his climb back up to being a decent pitcher to his work with Posey before games, going over hitters, and discussing strategy.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter. Giants don't win much with him on the mound.

June 4 = 7 ip, 1 er, Giants win
    June 11 = 4.2 ip, 2 er, Giants lose
    June 16 = 6 ip, 2 er, Giants lose
    June 21 = 7 ip, 3 er, Giants lose
    June 26 = 5.1 ip, 4 er, Giants lose
    July 2 = 5.1 ip, 3 er, Giants lose
    July 8 = 7 ip, 3 er, Giants lose
    July 13 = NO HITTER, Giants win
    July 22 = 3.2 ip, 8 er, Giants lose
    July 28 = 7 ip, 2 er, Giants lose
    August 3 = 7 ip, 1 er, Giants lose

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Did Sabean stick to his ground as far as getting who he wanted in trade before the deadine or...

...no trades were made or just to 'let it ride' through the season and making plans for next year?

funny comment about Righetti and Renel (to them of course)

<< <i>Did Sabean stick to his ground as far as getting who he wanted in trade before the deadine or...
    ..no trades were made or just to 'let it ride' through the season and making plans for next year? >>

Kind of both. Sabean sees 2013 as an off year, not a sign of a sinking ship. They look at the team and don't see any upgrades they can make that would clearly change the fortune of the team in 2013, so their attitude is a "let it ride". If the Giants turn it around, great. If not, there's always 2014.

And, on that note, Pence and Lopez were seen as too valuable to let go away. Heck, the asking price for Lopez was the other team's #1 pitching prospect. I can't imagine what his asking price for Pence was. Retaining Pence and Lopez (and even Lincecum) could be an early indicator that they're going to be staying around.

Unless Kieschnick or Brown turn in it up and start really earning a starting job next year, I think the Giants will make a strong push for a left fielder in the off-season. The outfield FA market for next year is kinda plain. No natural left fielders among the elite, but Shin-Soo Choo and Carlos Beltran are interesting names. So is Corey Hart (a guy who's no stranger to Giants trade rumors), but I read that Hart missed all of this season with knee injuries and eventual knee surgery.

• I thought the Giants might deal Lincecum. His stuff has never been as good, save for brief moments, since his last Cy Young. With his recent no-no fresh in everyone's minds they should have been able to pick up some high level prospects from a contender. I don't stay too on top of the Giants but I was expecting to at least hear some good rumors or potential deals.

<< <i>I thought the Giants might deal Lincecum. His stuff has never been as good, save for brief moments, since his last Cy Young. With his recent no-no fresh in everyone's minds they should have been able to pick up some high level prospects from a contender. I don't stay too on top of the Giants but I was expecting to at least hear some good rumors or potential deals. >>

Sabean set the price way to high to move anyone. He basically wanted to un-do the Beltran/Wheeler trade.

I never heard of any other team's proposed deals, but Sabean summarized the offers they got with:
    "We set a high bar and people missed the mark. They didn't even approach the mark. That was a little frustrating, if not embarrassing."

• Well, I'm a Dodgers fan so I'm living pretty high right now but obviously Sabean knows what he's doing. Baseball is as hard a sport as any to repeat in and its not blind luck to win two titles in 3 years. The Giants could be dangerous once again in '14, assuming they dont turn it around this year. Especially with the NL West's presumed continued weakness. My favorite thing about baseball is if you're playing in October you definitely have a chance.
    Voggy breezed through his rehab assignment and is scheduled to get activated from the DL and start on Friday vs the O's. That's Zito/Moscoso's spot.

Giants have talked about possibly going to a 6 man rotation soon. That'll be the official white flag.

Giants found a team that sucks worse than they do. Unfortunately it results in the Giants dropping to the #8 pick. If the Giants keep winning, a middle-of-the-round pick might be all we can hope for.

Giants just signed Ted Lilly to a minor league deal. Lilly was recently released by the Dodgers.

He's suffered a mess of injuries over the past year, and has looked quite bad this year, both in the minors on rehab and in the majors.

The hope is that after Lilly dips his arm in McCovey Cove and Dave Righetti waves his magic wand, he'll pitch better.

Ted Lilly? He's been a good pitcher in the past but let's just hope he doesn't end up on the DL walking out to the pitcher's mound from the dugout.

<< <i>Ted Lilly? He's been a good pitcher in the past but let's just hope he doesn't end up on the DL walking out to the pitcher's mound from the dugout. >>

He's been bad this year. It's probably got everything to do with all his injuries. Still, those are recent struggles and recent injuries.

Who do you think gets the ax to make room for Voggy when he comes off the 60-day DL?

<< <i>

<< <i>Ted Lilly? He's been a good pitcher in the past but let's just hope he doesn't end up on the DL walking out to the pitcher's mound from the dugout. >>

He's been bad this year. It's probably got everything to do with all his injuries. Still, those are recent struggles and recent injuries.

Who do you think gets the ax to make room for Voggy when he comes off the 60-day DL? >>

Machi? I'm sure his meltdown in Tampa is still on the mind of the team. If it isn't a pitcher then maybe Pill gets sent back again.
    Since the 40 man roster is full (people on the 60-day DL are not on the 40 man roster), someone will need to get DFA'ed.

Boch already proclaimed himself to be a "Machi guy" during the presser after the game.

I could see Machi getting sent down, but not DFA'ed. Guys who are probably DFA-worthy would be Zito, Dan Runzler (who's been horrible in Fresno), and may be Tanaka if they don't see a future for him in SF.

I don't see Zito going anywhere. Out of the short list it could be Runzler or Tanaka. Runzler has already had his shot in the majors and if he's bad in the minors I can see them giving up on him. Tanaka is basically a body to fill in a temporary hole. I say Machi will get sent down before this season is done.
    The Lilly deal is now off. Apparently he wanted a guaranteed call-up date and the Giants wouldn't give him one.

Earlier this season Lilly created some drama with the Dodgers when refused to do rehab and wanted to be activated off the DL immediately, but accepted a rehab assignment after he was apparently threatened with a DFA.

Pitching has stabilized, but the hitting has totally fallen apart.

I'm not really sure what you can do when the "good" guys aren't being good.

Marco Scutaro since the AS break: .228/.333/.246
    Buster Posey since the AS break: .224/.286/.328
    Pablo Sandoval since the AS break: .254/.297/.343

Bumgarner was asked if he felt like his teammates had "checked out" already. He said "Sometimes, yeah, I do."

Honesty from the Giants ace.

<< <i>Bumgarner was asked if he felt like his teammates had "checked out" already. He said "Sometimes, yeah, I do."

Honesty from the Giants ace. >>

The bats have fallen asleep, and, given there was nearly no turnover from last year's team, it's not unexpected. The Giants have proven in recent years that they are too enslaved to the idea of loyalty, and are blind to guys having years above average, and they absolutely refuse to acknowledge the idea of regression to the mean.

The upside is they are only on the hook for about $80 million in player salary next year, which gives them a ton of flexibility. The downside is there's not a lot of talent out there to sign, as teams are getting better and better at locking up good, young players to long contracts early on. The only terrible contract is the Pagan deal, which gives him $10 million a year for the next several years, but that's offset by having Posey at just $11 m for the next couple before it accelerates to $20+.

It's going to be interesting to see how much the team gets blown up. I sincerely doubt there will be a huge number of guys gone, because as I said the Giants continue to be too loyal to their players.

I wonder if the demoralization of the hitters is in any way related to the horrid first half by the starting pitchers?

<< <i>refuse to acknowledge the idea of regression to the mean. >>

For the old guys, maybe, but most of the other guys on the roster are young and entering their prime years. Players entering their prime typically start posting the best numbers of their career. Because of this, you CAN sometimes get better by staying the same, if your players are young.

In terms of regression to the mean, it's not like the team is composed of mostly veteran players who had oddly good seasons last year. That was 2011. The core of the current team is filled with guys in their mid-late 20s. Those are prime years, and typically you can expect a performance bump during that time.

The only way that Pagan has hurt the team this year is by getting hurt and being out of the lineup, resulting in 2 4th outfielders becoming starters.

<< <i>It's going to be interesting to see how much the team gets blown up. >>

Here's the 2014 starting lineup:

C = Buster Posey
    1b = Brandon Belt
    2b = Marco Scutaro
    SS = Brandon Crawford
    3b = Pablo Sandoval
    LF = ?
    CF = Angel Pagan
    RF = Hunter Pence

Starting pitchers
    1) Matt Cain
    2) Madison Bumgarner
    3) ??
    4) ??
    5) ??

The "blowing up" might only be one position and the bench. I think the Giants will be on the hunt for a leftfielder and some starting pitching. That is, unless they become extremely confident with in house options, like Kieschnick, Perez, or even Brown. I don't see Torres coming back. I kinda doubt we'll see Blanco either.

Starting pitching will be an issue. Cain and Bum are the core, if he finishes the season strong I think Vogelsong will come back. Sabean has expressed an interest in retaining Lincecum. Gaudin had a good year, but this could be a "lightning in a bottle" type situation... or it might not. It'd be a gamble to depend on him to fill a starting rotation spot next year, but not as much of one to go back to being a middle-reliever.

Giants have DFA'ed Guillermo Quiroz and activated Hector Sanchez. So, there's a spot open on the 40 man roster now. That's probably going to be Vogelsong's spot when he gets activated tomorrow.

I see a huge hole in the lineup where Pablo used to be, and I am not alone in thinking that his lack of self-discipline when it comes to his weight, which is obviously affecting his hitting. I wish the Giants would address this because when he's in the shape like he was in 2012, he's a real force, and the lineup simply can't afford his lack of production.

I don't think Timmy comes back next year to fill one of those pitching vacancies, however, I can see Zito back at a steep discount. SF is probably the only team that would give him a realistic shot at a roster anyways, and its not like they are turning back prospects to keep him in a 4/5 slot.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the NL West being a weaker division, if the Giants had been able to win an extra 8 games this season (so far) they would be in the thick of a pennant race. Interesting how even in a 162 game season 8-10 losses can have a huge impact on whether a team has a successful season or not.

<< <i>I don't think Timmy comes back next year to fill one of those pitching vacancies, however, I can see Zito back at a steep discount. SF is probably the only team that would give him a realistic shot at a roster anyways, and its not like they are turning back prospects to keep him in a 4/5 slot. >>

No more Zito. He's been so explosively bad this year. No. (shaking head) No. (shaking head) No.

Vogey looked good vs a potent Orioles team. Giants offence still DOA. They made it interesting with that game tying rally in the 9th, but totally sunk when Lopez lost the lefty-on-lefty matchup vs Davis.

Where's Buster Posey?

Another 0-for-Posey day. 6 games into this home-stand, he's gone 2-19 with 3 walks, no runs, no RBI. He hasn't had a hit since Tuesday.

Extend that back to his last 16 home games and the numbers are ugly... 6 for 50.

<< <i>Another 0-for-Posey day. 6 games into this home-stand, he's gone 2-19 with 3 walks, no runs, no RBI. He hasn't had a hit since Tuesday.

Extend that back to his last 16 home games and the numbers are ugly... 6 for 50. >>

My guess is he's hurt, but thinks it better to hide it than admit it. Looking at his numbers, he had a fantastic June, but since then has had no power whatsoever. 2 HRs and just 7 doubles through July and August so far. Something's wrong, I'm guessing once the season is over it will come out.
    I've been out of the country for part of the last week so this was the first game I've seen in the last two series. Considering how pathetic the offense looks I'm shocked they actually won a game against the Orioles. Interesting how visiting teams never seem to have a problem hitting homeruns at AT&T nor a problem scoring runs.

Posey can't hit, but that's nothing unusual for this Giants lineup. Neither can the rest of the team.

Looks like Zito is definitely in mid season form. One inning pitched, 3 ER allowed.

<< <i>My guess is he's hurt, but thinks it better to hide it than admit it. Looking at his numbers, he had a fantastic June, but since then has had no power whatsoever. 2 HRs and just 7 doubles through July and August so far. Something's wrong, I'm guessing once the season is over it will come out. >>

First season of his 9 year mega contract, and he's hurt and useless. Experts compared him to Jason Kendall when he first got drafted. Looking at Kendall's career... oh crap.

<< <i>

<< <i>My guess is he's hurt, but thinks it better to hide it than admit it. Looking at his numbers, he had a fantastic June, but since then has had no power whatsoever. 2 HRs and just 7 doubles through July and August so far. Something's wrong, I'm guessing once the season is over it will come out. >>

First season of his 9 year mega contract, and he's hurt and useless. Experts compared him to Jason Kendall when he first got drafted. Looking at Kendall's career... oh crap. >>

I wouldn't exactly say he's been 'useless', and the injury was just a guess. For every player the 'experts' get right, they seemingly get 9 wrong. My guess is Buster will be fine.

<< <i>I wouldn't exactly say he's been 'useless', and the injury was just a guess. For every player the 'experts' get right, they seemingly get 9 wrong. My guess is Buster will be fine. >>

Well, if he's going to take time off while on the field, better to do it in a lost season than when in contention.

<< <i>Well, if he's going to take time off while on the field, better to do it in a lost season than when in contention. >>

If he did we could call it "pulling a Timmy".
    Giants are now tied with 3 other teams for 5th worst record.

Astros: leaders
    Marlins: 7 games back
    White Sox: 7 games back
    Brewers: 13 games back
    Giants/Cubs/Phillies: 14.5 games back

Astros are running away with the #1 pick in next year's draft, but who knows?

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    We're #1! We're #!!

Oh, wait...

On a positive note, the 'Stros are fun to watch until the 6th or 7th inning. Then the bully gets involved and it's all down hill from there.

Good times.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Some classy Giants fan threw a banana at Adam Jones on Sunday.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    A couple years ago, some Cub fans threw Twinkies at Puma.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>Some classy Giants fan threw a banana at Adam Jones on Sunday. >>

AT&T Park security will check your bag for contraband at the gate, but they have not yet perfected a way to check for stupidity.

Saw this little blurb on the ESPN power rankings:

"Over his past nine starts, Tim Lincecum has a 3.64 ERA -- which includes a blow-up eight-run start against the Reds -- and has held batters to a .212/.265/.373 line with a 69/14 SO/BB ratio in 59 1/3 innings. He's certainly helping his contract status for next year."