Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Decline of the Forum and Reasons For It

RYK lamented in a recent thread of the decline of the Forum. There is no doubt that participation has declined significantly. The days of the 100 post debates/discussions are history. The following contributring causes come to mind:

Everything that can be said has been said

No new blood

Bad Forum members drive good Forum members out of circulation

It’s the economy stupid

If I see another common date Morgan or crusty Busty I’ll scream

And, of course, it is now forbidden to bash moderns

Your thoughts and comments are welcome, though in keeping with the current trend this thread will mostly likely die after four posts max.

CG

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish there coul dbe amnesty for some of the older members who were banished over 12 months ago. If they were allowed back things could potentially return back to days of yesteryear albeit with added warnings ie maybe a 3 strikes policy added and implemented. >>

I'm with Realone!
  • Options
    I have been here for 8 years and miss a LOT of folks. In almost no way does this resemble the Olde Forum. 100 post threads - I recall 500 post threads not flaming a person but a coin!

"Everything that can be said has been said" - there has gotta be a flip side to that somewhere... image

Eric
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been here too long but I think its still a very active forum!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Everything that can be said has been said
    Nope. I used to ask my dad if they would ever run out of songs, since they’re all written out of the same few notes.

No new blood
    Nope. New people stumble around the net every day.

Bad Forum members drive good Forum members out of circulation
    Nope. One mans bad forum member is another mans freedom fighter and visa versa.

It’s the economy stupid
    Nope. People haven’t given up their internet connections….yet.

If I see another common date Morgan or crusty Busty I’ll scream.
    Nope. If the economy has slowed down, some relief can be seen from seeing pictures, at least.

And, of course, it is now forbidden to bash moderns
    You may be onto something, maybe too much is forbidden to sustain a vibrant population of free thought and expression.
  • Options
    I feel bad by this post because I am not much of a poster, but drop by the site at least once a day to read the threads.

I do my part advocating the hobby by gving away buffs and v nickels as much as I can.image
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    There are some that I don't think would (or would want to) come back.

That said, I agree about the amnesty. The bammings have taken their toll.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are some that I don't think would (or would want to) come back.

That said, I agree about the amnesty. The bammings have taken their toll. >>

Agree. I miss Coinguy1 (Mark Feld), RWB (Roger Burdette), Conder101, and many others. Fortunately, they are very active ATS.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forum isn't dead. RYK in particular has started some really interesting and thought provoking threads recently. Others have bubbled up some old but really cool threads for newer members (myself included) to see.

I understand there was a heyday, but let's not get all depressed about the current state of affairs. I'm still hooked.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    many have lifes to attend to and being on the forum is not really a important issue

i don't post here as much as i used to myself

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/xzkzU4iw8kKippX27

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some don't know how to have fun with coins or coin people. I have more fun with the latter.
  • Options
    I agree the several quality members have been banned that is a big part of the reason.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Frankly, I tired of just the opposite.

I'm tired of all the hand wringing about the lost days of old when everything was apparently near perfect with the forum.

My recollection is that it wasn't and during those days of many hundred reply posts there was a lot of hand wringing at that time over the loss of forum decorum and common manners.

It is true many fine and knowledegable posters have either moved on or been lost but it's no cause to proclaim that the forum is dead or useless. I still find it to be an enjoyable pace to visit, learn and share about the hobby and keep my ear to the ground on new developing issues. That is enough for me.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

I've always thought a "3 strikes" rule should be put in place. MANY of the most informative threads were started by those that have since been banned due to a weak moment or a poorly worded post. Heck, even the goof balls that deserved to get banned made for entertaining threads.

Another thought, it's not easy to find these forums if you don't know exactly where to look. It's not like the PCGS home page has the link to the Message Board flashing in big bold letters.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭
    When exactly were these supposed forum "glory days" I keep reading about?

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Frankly, I tired of just the opposite.

I'm tired of all the hand wringing about the lost days of old when everything was apparently near perfect with the forum.

My recollection is that it wasn't and during those days of many hundred reply posts there was a lot of hand wringing at that time over the loss of forum decorum and common manners.

It is true many fine and knowledegable posters have either moved on or been lost but it's no cause to proclaim that the forum is dead or useless. I still find it to be an enjoyable pace to visit, learn and share about the hobby and keep my ear to the ground on new developing issues. That is enough for me. >>

Well said Greg.image
  • Options

<< <i>When exactly were these supposed forum "glory days" I keep reading about? >>

Two summers ago seemed pretty good. When we had guys on here like Coinguy, AnjurJ, QuarterCollector, I could go on.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shylock's bailing from the forum (he was not banned) left a great hole which has never been filled. He knew as much about IHCs as Rick Snow, and was always generous with his knowledge here. I also know why he left. I tried talk him into coming back, but to no avail.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i see several reasons....................in no particular order.

-----an overall "dumbing" of content brought about by any number of forces, with the result being less participation by more tenured members.
    -----removing the Open Forum has had a strange affect. it caused many members to leave outright and others limitted their participation. for my own part, i quite often went back-and-forth between the OF and this forum with the result being that i stayed at the site; now i visit and leave altogether. also, way, way too much non-relevant activity takes place here simply because there's nowhere else to post it and stay on-site. i believe that does two things---it causes members to leave and takes space away from other topics.
    -----inconsistent enforcement of the Rules.
    -----new members who aren't readily accepted and banned members who can't be gotten past.
    -----over saturation of certain topics.
    -----basic human dynamics and social changes, both in society as a whole and individuals..

from my perspective i think the "Forum Halcyon Days" were around 2003-2007 as PM's bagan their run, so maybe we're all just burned out and need to rest awhile.
  • Options

<< <i>My recollection is that ... during those days of many hundred reply posts there was a lot of hand wringing at that time over the loss of forum decorum and common manners. >>

Fair enough. I do recall complaints about this place not being family friendly. Still, I enjoyed it even with all the flaming going on.

• Options
    And we all miss Bear! I enjoyed always reading what he had to say.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not currently collecting crusty busties, but if that was all that was being posted, I'd bet the post count would rise. You can use the Morgans to reinforce the New Jersey sea-wallsimage
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss Bear, too.
    I miss Cammy, too.

I kinda miss the old open forum, but it did get a little ahead of itself.

• Options

<< <i>When exactly were these supposed forum "glory days" I keep reading about? >>

April 2001- May 2002. circa
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Frankly, I tired of just the opposite.

It is true many fine and knowledegable posters have either moved on or been lost but it's no cause to proclaim that the forum is dead or useless. I still find it to be an enjoyable pace to visit, learn and share about the hobby and keep my ear to the ground on new developing issues. That is enough for me. >>

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I believe Keets touched on a interesting topic - when the Open Forum was discontinued, MANY long time board members stopped posting. Not sure why. Maybe the OF was ther primary reason for being here in the first place?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    You have a total of 17639 message(s) in your private message history.

Edited to add: And, of course, it is now forbidden to bash moderns

Of course it isn't forbidden. The people who collect them don't congregate here anymore. You can say anything about them you like. image Similarly, the set registry forum will sometimes go several days without a single post.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pre-April 2006 image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    Hello MrGlicker image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i see several reasons....................in no particular order.

-----an overall "dumbing" of content brought about by any number of forces, with the result being less participation by more tenured members.
    -----removing the Open Forum has had a strange affect. it caused many members to leave outright and others limitted their participation. for my own part, i quite often went back-and-forth between the OF and this forum with the result being that i stayed at the site; now i visit and leave altogether. also, way, way too much non-relevant activity takes place here simply because there's nowhere else to post it and stay on-site. i believe that does two things---it causes members to leave and takes space away from other topics.
    -----inconsistent enforcement of the Rules.
    -----new members who aren't readily accepted and banned members who can't be gotten past.
    -----basic human dynamics and social changes, both in society as a whole and individuals..

from my perspective i think the "Forum Halcyon Days" were around 2003-2007 as PM's bagan their run, so maybe we're all just burned out and need to rest awhile. >>

I concur
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭✭
    These "doomsday"threads pop up periodically over the years. Several members bammed over the years were given second chances only to be bammed again. There are still plenty of great posters here. The only thing I've noticed different from the early days is a proliferation of flippers of modern bullion/NCLT that show for a few weeks to pump and dump the latest US Mint offerings then bolt. I see no marked decline. Some people that are considered "Legends" by some here are more "Urban Legend" to some of us "old timers." If you get bammed on a internet message board you have issues imho. Post on people, post on..........
  • Options

<< <i>Similarly, the set registry forum will sometimes go several days without a single post. >>

Check out the stamp forum.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I agree the several quality members have been banned that is a big part of the reason

Just remember, there's a reason they were banned. Some probably wouldn't want to come back if they couldn't be themselves are speak openly and freely within reason.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree the several quality members have been banned that is a big part of the reason

Just remember, there's a reason they were banned. Some probably wouldn't want to come back if they couldn't be themselves are speak openly and freely within reason. >>

The problem lies with the last two words of your last sentence.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forum is what we make of it. If you don't like the stuff on the forum right now, post something that you'd like to see more of. One thing is certain, complaining doesn't improve the forum and nor does wishing things were back they way they were 10 years ago.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I completely agree rays, they were put in intentionally...glad someone picked up on it. image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    Although I'm a long time member, my post count is low. My collecting consists of occasional finds from my pocket change.
    In general, I seem to find fewer interesting topics and threads than before. Maybe the content in general has changed? Or maybe just the thread titles aren't as accurate or as compelling as before?......I only open threads based on titles.

I like reading about: finds from circulation and old collections. Discovery of new varieties and errors. Educational threads like how someone knew an Indian was an overdate because of a rim cud. Slightly off topic threads like the guy who bought an old bell that hung at the mint in Philly and was trying to verify the story (what ever happened with that anyway?). Stories about shipwreck coins, hoard finds etc.

I intensely dislike: Any ebay related thread, since they're always gripes about buyers, sellers, photos etc. The ebay counterfeit threads usually stink too because they're typically "report this" with just a link in the thread...instead of embedded photos and discussion of why its a counterfeit. Endless slab talk....typically gripes about grades and submissions. Guess the grade threads....usually just a photo and replies with numbers....once inawhile there will be something educational about certain dates having weak strikes or why something will make a certain grade.

Edited to add: I didn't even know him, but I too miss the posts by Bear.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish there coul dbe amnesty for some of the older members who were banished over 12 months ago. If they were allowed back things could potentially return back to days of yesteryear albeit with added warnings ie maybe a 3 strikes policy added and implemented. >>

What's the real harm with this great idea? No harm no foul.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

I have to agree with this. I don't post a lot but I roll through here daily and have for a few years now. I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I see the same sort of activity and posts that I always have. Yes, no question, some of the faces have changed. Without question folks like Mark Feld, who was an active and awesome poster, the wise old Bear (may he RIP), and Roger Burdette with his amazing encyclopedic knowledge are HUGE losses. However, just like in real life, times change and people come and go for a million reasons. Maybe it's just me but I tend to be a guy who looks at what I have and not what I have lost. I see TDN, RYK, CRO and a host of others who are regular and active members who offer great insight and expertise that I enjoy.

I still believe this to be the BEST coin forum in the world. Rarely can you post a question or search for an answer and go more than a few minutes without finding the info you seek. It's FREE. It costs nothing to access a huge wealth of knowledge. It's current and relevant, nothing happens in the hobby that doesn't get posted here. Sure at times there are lulls in activity or days when the topics don't intrigue me but that's just the way the rest of life is too. It's not necessarily a bad thing that a dozen or so posters don't dominate every topic as has been the case at times around here. Sometimes fresh air let into a room will improve the atmosphere.

Sorry I just can't go for the gloom n doom, it wasn't perect before and it isn't horrible now. Hang in there gang, we'll be OK image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not write that there is a decline in as much as the scope of what is written is basically repetitive instead of exploring what should be considered as the next steps to advancing the science behind collecting and what the hobby could be instead of what it has become.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some don't know how to have fun with coins or coin people. I have more fun with the latter. >>

^^ This. I still miss your Huckleberry Hound avatar Joe image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The forum is what we make of it. If you don't like the stuff on the forum right now, post something that you'd like to see more of. One thing is certain, complaining doesn't improve the forum and nor does wishing things were back they way they were 10 years ago. >>

Perhaps the most insightful comment here.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

<< <i>Some don't know how to have fun with coins or coin people. I have more fun with the latter. >>

I'll drink to that!.....burp.image
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I think the forum reflects the dynamics and market that is occurring today.

As Thomas Wolfe wrote a few years ago, You Can't Go Home Again

It's not ten years ago.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    << When exactly were these supposed forum "glory days" I keep reading about? >>

The forum is what we make of it. If you don't like the stuff on the forum right now, post something that you'd like to see more of. One thing is certain, complaining doesn't improve the forum and nor does wishing things were back they way they were 10 years ago. >>

Perhaps the most insightful comments here. >>

The past always seems like "the good old days" to some, and the present always seems like the bad new days. This can be true in life, politics, and certainly the forum.

The trick is realizing that these are actually the good new days and enjoying them for what they are. Very few can do it, and are usually scorned by the "hip and cynical" as dreamers, pollyannas, or having heads in the sand, when it's actually none of those, just objective realism, optimism, looking on the bright side, and making the best of current circumstances.

For example, lately there have been complaints about the decline in the quality of the forum... and then, lo and behold, a bunch of really good and thought-provoking threads, including this one

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    what a bunch of old fogies yearning for the past good ol' times...... the news is.. get over it...the future will bring new good times
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i see several reasons....................in no particular order.

from my perspective i think the "Forum Halcyon Days" were around 2003-2007 as PM's bagan their run, so maybe we're all just burned out and need to rest awhile. >>

The first thing that came to my mind when I read the OP was "saturation". You nailed it Keets.

Second thing, How many times can we cover the same subject matter with NEWBs? Not that NEWBs are not welcome. But the novelty of Internet forums has weared off significantly since this forum was begun. And as novelty wears off, many veterans have gone onto more novel undertakings. When's the last time Russ Posted here/

The bammings have had an impact. I'm one of the lucky ones to get a second chance (see my sig line)

I'm thinking Sleepy Hollow ATS may have the right dynamic to outlast the decline. Alot of the bammed members here have found sanctuary over there.

I've always preferred this site for its vitality, but perhaps as the OP suggests the "decline" might just be the lack of "vitality".

As you know I don't post that much these days, and I'm sure most of you will agree that I don't offer much to begin with but so what?

I get that, but it all contributes to the decline.

There was a day when the Mods, the Hosts and the dignitaries of the industry used to post frequently here. That type of interchange is what these boards need to revive themselves.

However, there is an elitism amongst the leaders of industry, that the idea of posting amongst us mortals is somehow slumming. In the day when there were a couple hundred elites and gung ho collectors that wasn't a problem And it greatly increased the popularity of this site. As lessers came onboar and saturated the site with commoners, the elites stopped participating in everyday thread including our hosts, except to self promote their services.

That said, I've garnered alot of info from experts like Howard S, Rick Snow, Fred Weinberg, Homerun Hall to name a few. Wish these guys could be more active. And a number of unnamed others who have made major contributions to the knowledge base on these forums.

On a daily basis it's like gossiping at the Barber Shop. But there have been alot of gems of posts that have faded into the archives too.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    As a newbie here. I would like to say a few things.

First, If someone asks a question here don't post a response "Google It"

I don't know much other than Morgans, so if I post a question on Wheat or Indian Pennies... Please don't talk down to me like I should know that specific coin or Varieties.

The knowledge on this site is incredible. But when people are newer, it may be better if someone under the same coin interest gives them a helping hand with knowledge.

I know without some here helping me, I would be gone.

Nick
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just in

"Scenes Change."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file