• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Figured this week was brutal on mine.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Sweet!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'd be at +38% right now, if you didn't have "Silver" holding it back.

of course, a sequence of news events over the next 6 months will almost certainly mix the standings up quite thoroughly by Dec 31..

one would hope so, with almost half of us just trying to get back to even, and nearly 2/3 trying to catch up to the dart throws!

best of luck to everyone for the second half of the year

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Baley. In addition this thread is fun.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    As of today, I'm back to even 0.00%

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You'd be at +38% right now, if you didn't have "Silver" holding it back >>

And of the 3 - silver was the one I really purchased at the start of the year. Not one of my better moves.
  • Options
    Very interesting mid-year action, who thinks they will goose the markets (all markets) going into November, if they can?

pretty wide range of strategies and results, from speculative to aggressive to neutral to defensive to a few believed to be defensive but are in reality speculative

Several entrants with 3 picks have a big winner and a couple of quite offsetting losers, e.g. great pick so far Halfstrike with ATRS, and the dart that picked TRIP flew true

Anyway, a juiced market going into the 4th quarter, combined with some potential for asset-specific news, could result in some acceleration, particularly if any companies become aquisition targets, or if metals go on a tear and former leaders regain their mojo

• Options

<< <i>Very interesting mid-year action, who thinks they will goose the markets (all markets) going into November, if they can? >>

I don't expect PM markets to get goosed. As usual they will be sailing into the wind. However, I still expect silver to make a strong showing by Dec. 31 and if contest were starting today I'd still go with AGQ.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of movement in the top 15 or so, while us bottom dwellers continue to trail...

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks...wow, I moved up one slotimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks...wow, I moved up one slotimage >>

and I stopped moving to the bottom.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, It looks like more people are buying generic libs, renting apartments on the west coast and paying their cell phone bills.

Thanks WINGSRULE for all your time, trouble and effort.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Heeeeere we go! A few nasty earnings and other bad news nailed a few people this week.

• Options
    I'm glad I don't have any of my choices. image
  • Options
    Woo hoo, biggest mover of the week!
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    My race to the bottom has been temporarily halted. image
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    Wow, hats off to HalfStrike, hell of a pick with AIS/ATRS +123% YTD! image

honorable mentions to jfloomis3, Julio, RedTiger, Justacommeman, Streeter, and DrBuster, all of whom have no picks that are currently negative

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wingsrule---how about adding TLT (as a proxy for the much maligned 30yr Treasury), as a reference. Maybe then we can see how stupid all these Treasury buyers are.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>Wingsrule---how about adding TLT (as a proxy for the much maligned 30yr Treasury), as a reference. Maybe then we can see how stupid all these Treasury buyers are. >>

Yes, adding "TLT (treasuries)" as a grey shaded line item would be informative.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wingsrule---how about adding TLT (as a proxy for the much maligned 30yr Treasury), as a reference. Maybe then we can see how stupid all these Treasury buyers are. >>

Yes, adding "TLT (treasuries)" as a grey shaded line item would be informative. >>

If you do...go back to 1/2012 price $119.43 ..... Fridays close was ..$129.17 would be one of the top 10 gainers. I should have been so stupidimage
  • Options
    By popular demand...

• Options
    Dont forget to add about $1.60+ in dividends that TLT has paid.

TLT dividends

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Edit: If they do QE3 then this will all change quickly, lol.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CMG just pooped the bed. cohodk will like this poopy bed. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    3x daily volume in the first 15 mins, almost 15x daily volume for the session. Not often you see a stock get hammered for $90 in a day.
  • Options
    Just the beginning my friends. image

I was calling for a 60-70% drop from whatever the high trade was. So a 60% from 442 targets $177, while a 70% drop points to $133. While I would love to sell my puts for $73 to $117, in reality (I do own these puts), I will probably be out well before those targets are hit. Unless the stock happens to have another $90 gap down in the near future.image

Technically I can see the stock in the $280s on this initial momo. Then some consolidation for a few months before Oct earnings. Seeing the gap at $185 would give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.image

• Options
    Wow, an almost $90 move in the price of the stock underlying your pick, in your direction! Surely this will rocket you to the top of the standings this week? image

• Options
    Another pounding for me on xpo.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, an almost $90 move in the price of the stock underlying your pick, in your direction! Surely this will rocket you to the top of the standings this week? image >>

Not yet, but as it gets closer to the strike price the option will perform much like the stock--(only on steroids)image

• Options
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2012/07/20/options-players-position-for-chipotle-rebound-after-burrito-stock-crushed/

CMG – Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. – Lower-than-expected second-quarter sales reported by the operator of fast-casual Mexican food restaurants on Thursday sent shares in Chipotle Mexican Grill down as much as 24% on Friday to $307.20 and sparked frenzied trading in the options. The high-flying stock had been up roughly 20% year-to-date as of the close of trading yesterday.

Chipotle options saw both bullish and bearish trading this morning, with volume topping 105,000 contracts as of 11:35 a.m. ET versus the stock’s average daily options volume of 14,547 contracts. Traders positioning for shares to extend losses snapped up weekly puts, paying an average premium of $12.55 per contract for around 2,000 of the July 27 ’12 $315 strike contracts. Bearish activity spread to far out-of-the-money puts expiring in August, with upwards of 1,000 contracts in play at each of the Aug. $295 and $300 strikes.

Meanwhile, traders with an appetite for a Chipotle rebound in the near future purchased upside calls. The Aug. $350, $355 and $360 call options each traded more than 1,100 times in the first couple of hours of the trading session, while the Aug. $420 strike call changed hands around 1,400 times. Traders that appear to have purchased most of these call options stand ready to profit in the event Chipotle’s stock reverses course ahead of expiration.

How does a Mexican restaurant get to almost $400 a share? SOMEBODY was priming the pump on this one image
    I can get a $4 carne asada burrito in SoCal that will blow the doors of Chipoltles stuff.

Dave, how many entities did it take to run that stock up?
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chipotle's burritos are pretty good, but probably not "$400 worth" of good.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle_Mexican_Grill

They came a long way very fast. Mickey D's sure walked away with a chunk of cash.

Pre poop...they had a market cap of about 20 BILLION divided by 1336 locations roughly equates to 16-17 MILLION dollars per location. $16 MILLION per site, holy smokes..no way jose.

Something was rotten in how this stock got pumped to $400. Good call Chartman, hurry up and get up the ladder... there's room for you at the topimage
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Let's see if we can get a thread that at least mentions PMs back up to the top.

While cohodk's CMG pick more than doubled his total, it still leaves him shy of the big leagues. So far.image Give him a few more weeks.

• Options
    Raise your hand if you still expect to win this thing!

• Options
    I think I have a chance at seeing a +429.00 after my name. Fingers crossed. image

• Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    In order to, "win" don't you need to finish last. Take care. jws
  • Options

<< <i>Raise your hand if you still expect to win this thing! >>

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    CMG @ 160? One could only hope...image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wingsrule, I appreciate all your work. The flip-flopping in leadership is a good example of what happens in the market when various market segments surge and then fall back. To stay on top for the full ride you'd have to be a stock wizard, and then some!

It's fun.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Wingsrule, I appreciate all your work. The flip-flopping in leadership is a good example of what happens in the market when various market segments surge and then fall back. To stay on top for the full ride you'd have to be a stock wizard, and then some!

It's fun.image >>

Which is why I always say assets are for dating, not marrying.image

• Options
    If a person was working the volatility, then that person could be making some income whilst the overalll treading of the water was happening for "the market' image

• Options
    Man would I like to be out of S and ESS yesterday.

Have to ride the train to the bitter end.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    The bears are playing an acquisition, expansion, moving, and earnings report due on aug7 for xpo it seems.

Still long on them, could be discount pricing in play. Brutal month though.
  • Options
    derryb still nipping on my heels for the no 20 spotimage
  • Options
    Green or Red this week? this is an end-of-the-year horserace, with Weekend Updates, there are some very interesting trading picks here too, congrats to those in the meantime profiting from this nice volatility in your own accounts image

• Options
    Some big earnings-related moves this week. And cohodk moves up a notch!

• Options
    And the battle for 20th place continues with derryb getting the better of me this week .... just wait till next week.image
  • Options
    I'm holding back for the home stretch.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    400!

<< <i>I'm holding back for the home stretch. >>

It's going to be a very interesting end of the year... Election, budget, "security-specific" news, weather, potential social unrest, wild card news, etc etc.

goodonya dart throw #2!