Home Precious Metals
Options

Post your best investment ideas for 2012

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to suggest----- since this is still a coin forum, that put and call options be posted on a stock market forum and not a coin forum and that a third of your picks be related to something PCGS does for business.

Not that I have a problem with stock brokers trolling this forum for business image but I do think it is somewhat inappropriate. It would be kinda like a Gold dealer going over to the Merrill Lynch forum and touting gold when the S & P is tanking below 700 and Broad Street is jumping out of windowsimage

Have a nice day
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to thank Wingsrule for the great job and the huge amount of work that went into this. I wouldn't change many things about the contest, other than to urge folks to try and keep things simple in your picks.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again, it was fun winning all those b.j. "hands."
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Still one more day, OPA. Don't give up yet!
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure when the next round of fun opens. I'm just the scribe. Perhaps Baley is too busy celebrating his HALO jump today???image >>

Is he a fellow skydiver?
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    CONGRATULATIONS, STREETER!!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrat's streeter!!!!!!!!!!

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Derry:

<< <i>The volatility of silver price makes it great for leveraged longs and shorts.

I'll take the playmoney bet that AGQ price sees a greater percentage per share price increase than SLV based on prices on 12/31/11 vs. prices on 12/31/12 >>

hey, at least I won the side play money bet! image
  • Options
    Thanks MJ, what did you beat me out of in 2012image

Like a snare drum, BTWimage
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I still think my ammo idea was the best ROI.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks MJ, what did you beat me out of in 2012image

Like a snare drum, BTWimage >>

It kept me up late at nightimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top 5 individual picks:

S, up 142%, by Streeter
    ATRS, up 73%, by HalfStrike
    TRIP, up 64%, by DartThrow#1
    C, up 50%, by zrlevin
    V, up 49%, by jfloomis3

Bottom 5:

CMG Jan 2013 250 puts, down 96%, by cohodk
    AMYZF.PK, down 90%, by miklia
    PRGN, down 65%, by OPA
    ZAZA, down 60%, by HalfStrike
    BPI, down 55%, by 66tbird

Lots of honorable mentions up or down 40%

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>And MJ is going with "postage stamps" at 45 cents each?

They are only $0.44 right now. Rates go up later this month (I think) so he is guaranteed a positive return. Who knows? Maybe +2.3% will win this thing? >>

Stamps could be another "layup" in 2014, this time for 6.5%, if The post office gets it's 3 cent hike to 49 cents in January

• Options
    When you think about it, postage rates must be one true reflection of inflation since that's what the government is asking in terms of keeping up with its own cost of operations, no?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When you think about it, postage rates must be one true reflection of inflation since that's what the government is asking in terms of keeping up with its own cost of operations, no? >>

Indeed. Here are Canadapost's numbers. In the last decade the price of a regular letter has gone from 48 cents to 63 cents (a 31% increase over 10 years). The increases have gone up in frequency and amount recently as well.

http://www.adminware.ca/checklist/chk_rate.htm
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When you think about it, postage rates must be one true reflection of inflation since that's what the government is asking in terms of keeping up with its own cost of operations, no? >>

All evidence indicates USPS has not been keeping up with the cost of operations via postal charges. Last I heard they were deep down the rabbit hole.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

All evidence indicates USPS has not been keeping up with the cost of operations via postal charges. Last I heard they were deep down the rabbit hole. >>

So they did not accurately forecast inflation OR they have mismanaged their business... I think its both
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options

<< <i>Post your picks for the best investment ideas for 2012!

Post your picks for standard, trackable, fungible securities with published prices by 3am Pacific time Jan 1, 2012 deadline, and let them run throughout the year. The goal is highest % increase in one calendar year.

To keep the list managable, try to limit yourself to 3 or at most 4 picks (naturally, performance of both good and bad picks will be "diluted" by diversification from more than one pick)

We'll assume even division among the assets, if more than one is chosen, unless some other proportion is specified before the deadline.

Feel free to post other picks or changes after the deadline, but for the purposes of the "official" list we need to draw the line at the end of the year (or, at least at the end of the new years eve party image )

Any dividends will assume to simplyreceived in cash on the date of payment, unless dividend reinvestment in the same security is specified. Stock splits, M&A, or other changes are accounted normally, as specified by the security.

and I thought this was a Precious Metals site
    We'll track the picks periodically throughout the year, thanks to Wingsrule for creating the tracking spreadsheet. image

Here's to a profitable year, Have fun! >>

UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    Yes, it's a precious metals forum. And, if you recall, back in 2011, there were a lot of posts about how profitable precious metals investments had been. There were some posts by regulars extolling the virtues of a nearly all-metal portfolio, and suggesting that anyone investing in ANYTHING else was either clueless, naive, in denial, or just plain stupid, and there were posts by newbies and longer term members to the effect of, "should I cash in my retirement accounts and buy gold? Should I sell my house and buy silver??" And there were other members who suggested that, historically, metals could in fact be volatile in both directions and therefore risky, especially at all-time highs, and there was discussion about asset allocation and risk analysis, and someone suggested that forum members post an idea or two that might ALSO be a good investment, even though the person owns PMs also, and, in fact, a lot of the posters did choose to pick PMs for this fun thread, and other folks chose other types of speculative investments, for ongoing comparison, which did end up being fun and educational for most folks, and in this and in the ongoing 2013 thread, there were actually dozens of ideas which performed better than gold and silver, an far far better than leveraged PM bets such as AGQ or USLV. There are a lot of topics that relate to PMs and the stock market, real estate, the bond market, and other investments like tangible assets (guns, art, wine) etc also get mentioned. Folks who are upset or offended by tangetially related topics are advised to avoid the threads they don't like, and of course the moderators will step in if anything is against the terms of service. Have fun!
    (edited for spelling and grammar)

• Options

<< <i>Yes, it's a precious metals forum. And, if you recall, back in 2011, there were a lot of posts about how profitable precious metals investments had been. There were some posts by regulars extolling the virtues of a nearly all-metal portfolio, and suggesting that anyone investing in ANYTHING else was either clueless, naive, in denial, or just plain stupid, and there were posts by newbies and longer term members to the effect of, "should I cash in my retirement accounts and buy gold? Should I sell my house and buy silver??" And there were other members who suggested that, historically, metals could in fact be volatile in both directions and therefore risky, especially at all-time highs, and there was discussion about asset allocation and risk analysis, and someone suggested that forum members post an idea or two that might ALSO be a good investment, even though the person owns PMs also, and, in fact, a lot of the posters did choose to pick PMs for this fun thread, and other folks chose other types of speculative investments, for ongoing comparison, which did end up being fun and educational for most folks, and in this and in the ongoing 2013 thread, there were actually dozens of ideas which performed better than gold and silver, an far far better than leveraged PM bets such as AGQ or USLV. There are a lot of topics that relate to PMs and the stock market, real estate, the bond market, and other investments like tangible assets (guns, art, wine) etc also get mentioned. Folks who are upset or offended by tangetially related topics are advised to avoid the threads they don't like, and of course the moderators will step in if anything is against the terms of service. Have fun!
    (edited for spelling and grammar) >>

Well said. Unlike the coin market that is affected strictly by supply, demand and the collector base, PMs are entirely affected by fundamentals that include economics (and related policy) and the many things that affect the value of the currency PMs are priced in. Discussion of these fundamentals is crucial in understanding the price/value of PMs. There is a fine line between politics and policy and we should walk it carefully.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMs are entirely affected by fundamentals that include economics...

....and, most importantly, human emotion and psychology.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    duct tape is silver which makes silence golden...and that's worth a small fortune.
  • Options
    There were some posts by regulars extolling the virtues of a nearly all-metal portfolio, and suggesting that anyone investing in ANYTHING else was either clueless, naive, in denial, or just plain stupid, and there were posts by newbies and longer term members to the effect of, "should I cash in my retirement accounts and buy gold? Should I sell my house and buy silver??" And there were other members who suggested that, historically, metals could in fact be volatile in both directions and therefore risky, especially at all-time highs, and there was discussion about asset allocation and risk analysis, and someone suggested that forum members post an idea or two that might ALSO be a good investment, even though the person owns PMs also

That discussion has been taking place for a longer time than since 2011, and it is still relevant, but I don't recall anyone either asking or recommending that anyone should sell his house in order to buy silver. I could make such a statement about some members having an unflaggingly blind faith in the stock market in spite of knowing full well that a large amount of QE is being directed into equities. Not that speculating in stocks a bad move under the circumstances, but let's be clear that QE is an overall artificial effect with no fundamental value creation involved. If you get out before the theater burns down, fine. People seem to have learned nothing from 2008.

The theory of diversification of assets is nothing new. Just understand that the risks are different, not non-existent as is often suggested. The theory of asset allocation isn't new either. In an environment where the general trend is up due to the Fed's balance sheet expansion, there's minimal skill involved in picking a stock or group of stocks. The acid test is what happens over time. Granted - as it relates to PMs, planning for one single cataclysmic economic event which may never happen seems to be on the stupid side of the equation unless it actually happens. The question is "what are the odds?"

I read the news and the financials. I know what the system was, and I know what it is now. Don't try to tell me that there's no systemic risk or risk of sovereign default. These possibilities have already been in play for over a decade. If you feel more comfortable in securities that are based in an electronic and paper system, go for it. I'd much rather have the ability to lay my hands on my assets if things continue as they are. I'm not concerned about a few points of gains based on bogus money creation.

OTOH, if you are familiar with an industry and a company that can make it through the economic quagmire and legislative drag on growth without hiring an army of lobbyists in DC to pump their own special deals that in fact suck off the government's teat - good for you, and that type of story would be great to hear about. That's the way it ought to be, but that's not happening very frequently anymore. Any company or industry that makes an actual contribution to growth, jobs, or GDP is almost immediately targeted for regulation or politicization (i.e., taxation). The whole gist of this contest is to construct a winning combo in the current environment, and if some real ideas come out of it, so much the better.

What bothers me is when metals go down or sideways for two years, there always pop up a few folks who like to comment that metals are some type of money-losing deal, relegated mainly to tunnel vision survivalists and wackos that never go out into the real world to interact with real people or real investments and who are ignorant of all of the wonderful opportunities available in paper assets or day trading arbitrage positions. The reality is that real precious metals investors do know what they're getting into, and most of the discourse I've seen here regarding precious metals stays well within the realm of reason. In my opinion, most people really don't understand risk, and really don't know how to differentiate between the various types of risk, which is the crux of the problem. If I were to suggest that someone cash in their retirement accounts, pay the taxes, pay the penalties and invest in metals, I would also be giving the rationales for doing that and my rationales have served me very well over time.

PMs are entirely affected by fundamentals that include economics...

....and, most importantly, human emotion and psychology.

I would contend that PMs are subject to what happens in the bond market, which is affected by fundamentals, economics, emotion and psychology. The PMs are the tail of the dog, not the dog.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I would contend that PMs are subject to what happens in the bond market

Yet when i posted a graph showing the ratio of the price of gold to the yield of the 10yr Treasury I was poo-poo'ed. I posted that chart in Sept 2011 stating that the relationship was parabolic and something was gonna give. Just so happened that was about the same time gold began a 35+% decline. image

• Options

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    It might be fun and interesting to get an update for the 2-year performance of these picks... if and when the gracious Wingsrule gets a chance after the Crazy Times image

• Options
    If you want to see an agonizing chart, Baley - check the S&P 500 Index from 1-1-2000 to Present. Then tell me how weak the Gold Chart is.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>If you want to see an agonizing chart, Baley - check the S&P 500 Index from 1-1-2000 to Present. Then tell me how weak the Gold Chart is. >>

Yup, stocks not up much over a 13 yr period and gold down a lot over the the last 2 years.

Check out a chart of Gold from 1980 to Present. Now thats agonizing. image

These "pick a point in time" comparisons are really useless though, although as i've often stated TIME is always the most important asset one has use it wisely. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you want to see an agonizing chart, Baley - check the S&P 500 Index from 1-1-2000 to Present. Then tell me how weak the Gold Chart is. >>

Yup, stocks not up much over a 13 yr period and gold down a lot over the the last 2 years.

These "pick a point in time" comparisons are really useless though, although as i've often stated TIME is always the most important asset one has use it wisely. image >>

The only point in time that matters is the point in time you sell. Everything else is "coulda" been" or "should have."

• Options
    I would say the most important time is when you buy.

• Options
    I personally kinda go with "total net return rate" for trades and "net PRESENT value" for wealth, as the relevant measures of performance

• Options
    ZIRP kinda negates the impact of NPV.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>ZIRP kinda negates the impact of NPV. >>

how so?

• Options
    ok

• Options
    Bailey,

It's O.K. with me if you want to dredge up this thread every so often. image
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>Top 5 individual picks:

S, up 142%, by Streeter
    ATRS, up 73%, by HalfStrike
    TRIP, up 64%, by DartThrow#1
    C, up 50%, by zrlevin
    V, up 49%, by jfloomis3

Bottom 5:

CMG Jan 2013 250 puts, down 96%, by cohodk
    AMYZF.PK, down 90%, by miklia
    PRGN, down 65%, by OPA
    ZAZA, down 60%, by HalfStrike
    BPI, down 55%, by 66tbird

Lots of honorable mentions up or down 40% >>

And to think, I was up 70% just 10 weeks before the competition end.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

These "pick a point in time" comparisons are really useless though, although as i've often stated TIME is always the most important asset one has use it wisely. image >>

Just as agonizing as gold from 1980-2008 would be stocks from 1929 to 1954. That's how long it took both of them to get back to even. Ok, stocks "won" that race by 3 years. Though I'd bet it would have taken longer if the dogs of the DOW had not been tossed out along the way. You can't toss any part of "gold" away. Stocks have the upper hand right now. But I suspect if we end up looking at DOW 1929-1975 (46 years) that Gold 1980-2022 will end up outperforming that earlier DOW period. Let's not forget that gold is a relatively "young" market since the gold window was close in 1971....barely over 40 yrs old vs. the 100-200 years of the DOW industrial equivalents.

Dow 1920 - 1980

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

The 1st PM forum investment contest thread!