Home Precious Metals
Options

Post your best investment ideas for 2012

Comments

• Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking long term, so everything was just on sale for me.

I took the money I made selling half my HGSI when it doubled last week and put it into GSK.
    Zach
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks... as the song goes for the "basement dwellers"...."Our day will come
    If we just wait a while. No tears for us" image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having been to the party in the penthouse, maybe just back down in the basement for some more booze. Long climb to the top, glad to have a few months to try to make the journey up again.

Volatility: Trader's dream, buy-and-holders' nightmare!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a penthouse in this place? To paraphrase what John Lennon once said, "Everybody just sing along. You in the expensive seats - can just rattle your jewelry."image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    All out GPRO @ 81.57image
  • Options
    Dang nearly had a heart attack.
    Im positive, but last. Whew that was close.
  • Options
    Sorry, folks, no update this weekend. And the way the futures look, this coming week may be a little ugly.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    no problem wings - i dunno if anyone wants to see these charts right now anyways. post again when we're all +20%! much more fun.

and btw - YTD:

AGQ: 5.9% up
    SLV 5.3% up
  • Options
    Sunday March 18, 2012 7:56 AM

A market crash later in the year would scramble these all up, of course, and maybe we'll see a nice correction somewhere along the way to see how different asset classes perform

Well, we expected it, and we're getting it! No one thought it would be this soon, or this much, but as cohodk has said, the best cure for high prices is... high prices!

Hang in there

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>no problem wings - i dunno if anyone wants to see these charts right now anyways. post again when we're all +20%! much more fun.

and btw - YTD:

AGQ: 5.9% up
    SLV 5.3% up >>

Leveraged ETFs are a sure bet to lose money against their index overtime. In the long run, many triple leveraged ETFs will have to do reverse spits just to stay listed. The degenerative decay, is only one problem they have. If I had unlimited funds I would short every triple or more ETF I could find, long and short. The main problem with the strategy is that they can have out-sized moves in the short run that would need large infusions of cash to cover margin requirements, but if you having the other side(long/short) the same index you would be able to offset these big moves to a degree. In the long run, I have no doubt this strategy would produce very nice returns. Any one have a few hundred million dollars?

Of course the average "investor" has no idea how to use these things, which are designed for day trading and hedging and lose their arse when dealing with these things, so eventually I would expect new regs to be placed on them within a few years.
  • Options
    Sorry, folks, no update this weekend. And the way the futures look, this coming week may be a little ugly.

Understandable.

I've noticed an interesting little phenomenon, in my emotions toward investments, upon reflection in hindsight:

Those periods in the market when I'm frequently hitting "refresh" to see how much money I'm making in my portfilio, and daydreaming about even bigger numbers:
    I should be selling some portion of the big movers

Those periods when I'm dejected, depressed, disgusted and don't want to log on to the computer, and don't even bother opening mailed statements:
    I should be adding to positions of securities that I like still like fundamentally

I'm trying to do more of the above, as difficult as it is. I sold some stocks and metals in Feb and March, and bought a few big (for me) numismatic coins I had always wanted, did some home improvements, and added to cash reserves

In April and May, buying back some of the very same stocks and PMs at discounted prices, hoping to rinse and repeat one more time this year.

• Options
    The average portfolio lost 6+% over the last two weeks. I added a new column showing the number of spots a portfolio moved since the last printing.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woot! First time in the pole position!
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I feel like the Jefferson's too, movin on up.
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    I beg you not to post an update this weekend. Please? image
    Zach
  • Options
    Lots of blood in the streets. I ain't as good as I once was.................image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sticking with my silver pick (AGQ), everything going according to plan for a Dec. 31 finish. Rapid decline in euroland is expediting my expected temporary drop in metals and forcing my expected QE3 announcement. Should work out to a good year-end silver high.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    For the purposes of this thread, we're all forced to stick with our picks (this is distinct from our "real" portfolios, in which we trade these swings to our advantage, maybe)
    I agree wholeheartedly that the picture for Dec 31, 2012 is wide open, and I remain full of hope (and have a reasonable expectation) that we'll all be well into positive territory by that time.
    Best of Luck to All

• Options
    My picks were based off long-term holds, so hopefully there's no event that drops my 2 down other than normal fluctuations. Would like a little more uptick though, but if 20%+ gain for a year holds...well that's ok by me.
  • Options

<< <i>For the purposes of this thread, we're all forced to stick with our picks (this is distinct from our "real" portfolios, in which we trade these swings to our advantage, maybe)
    I agree wholeheartedly that the picture for Dec 31, 2012 is wide open, and I remain full of hope (and have a reasonable expectation) that we'll all be well into positive territory by that time.
    Best of Luck to All >>

Let me rephrase: I continue to have faith in my sliver pick (AGQ). . .

• Options
    This week's top three (up) movers all LOST money in their hypothetical portfolio, yet picked up 5-6 spots because everybody else did much worse.image

• Options
    Baley and I need graphs/charts.

• Options
    Baley and I need graphs/charts.

Maybe next year.image
  • Options
    >>Baley and I need graphs/charts.

Maybe next year. <<

chart/graph would be much easier if everyone picked just one Yahoo tracked security

Example Chart/Graph comparing relative performance over time

• Options

• Options
    At least half haven't 'lost' anything yet, so that's good.
  • Options
    The Dart throwers got me whupped by a considerable margins ....
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be OK if CMG gets cut in 1/2 by year end.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    African oilers have been KILLING it this year. Look at the charts for companies like Africa Oil (AOI), Horn Petroleum (HRN) and Simba Energy (SMB). Retracing a bit in the last couple weeks, but even with that Africa Oil is up 562% on the YTD! These exploratory companies are not for the faint at heart though!
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    The top position movers didn't necessarily make a lot this week, they just didn't lose as much!

Special recognition to TwinTurbo who achieved a whopping 7X increase on his balance!!!image

• Options
    Way to go turbo, back in the mix a bit!
  • Options
    if the guy that was up 60% is now negative, it's not impossible that the guy down 60% could end up on top in December
    High betas mean high risk but can also bring high reward. Similarly, some entrants will probably spend the whole year and finish between up 2% and down 2%.
    the interesting spectrum of choices is educational

• Options
    six months away from any number that counts.

• Options
    I've decided to hang up my dartboard and get started.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    All I can think of is to watch my mutual funds sink, and buy more PMs with the stock I took out at the top of the dow.image

I stuffed my SDB as full as it can go, as it was even tight to squeeze into the slot. They looked at me funny by the way I was carrying it. hah!

Experimenting and learning about the hiding thing. Maybe I'll sell shares of my treasure map.

I'll lend money to 'friends' at 10%. Used to be a terminal thing to do - now less risky and more return then a bank or investments. (ps: alternately, Lending money to family is called giving it away...)
    I could go back to stealing. Oh, wait, that's called 'goverment' now...
    I could go back to selling a lot of drugs for hugh profits. Oh, wait, that's called the medical/insurance industry now...
    I could borrow money from the mob at 25%. Oh, wait, that's called Visa or American Express now...

Borrow money from Romney.. Yeah! buy my vote. (If Ron calls, tell him I'll do it for one gold buffalo..)
    COA
  • Options

• Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Yes, thanks for the upkeep!
  • Options
    Long road back to the top image

maybe took a step or two up this week

• Options

<< <i>Long road back to the top image

maybe took a step or two up this week >>

Our time will comeimage
  • Options
    I want the bottom, before I hit the top again

• Options
    derryb - MJ is ahead of you by $0.11.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't even begin to show my elation that for one week in my life I'm smarter than a dartimage

WHEW. Finally.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    I'll take this opportunity to give myself a special pat on the back for picking AMYZF. It's down a mere 86% from just a couple of months ago. I need to invest in darts instead.
  • Options
    And the downdraft continues...

• Options
    Damn, thought i had a pop even at least. All good
  • Options
    I've been surpassed by wood, milk and forever stamps. Donch'a know? Time to pack up the guns, ammo, water purification equipment, dried food and head for the mountains.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ... and a random dart picked the single best performer (so far) of the lot, TRIP up 78%
    Crazy times, but not yet halfway over

• Options
    350!

Here are the results for the first half of the year. Let the analysis begin...