Home Precious Metals
Options

Post your best investment ideas for 2012

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What stamps, wood and milk ain't winning? MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    at least they're beating the YTD returns of stones, fire, and animal skins image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Looks like it was probably a terrible move with the big cash announcement Monday morning that just got announced. Expecting another new ATH again on this crazy AAPL train. >>

Agreed - I got in and out quick (via puts) for a very small gain. just so many buyers keeping the stock overbought. i might try again around May if we hit 650-700...
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
  • Options
    Very nice move by AIS, halfstrike image

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    guns and ammunition.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    comrades beeg investment for 2012 is skool.

comrade renski been in skool last too months.

comrade fly beeger plane make more money for Federal company and make more rubles for renski, buy more coins and vodka...but follow old rule of aviation...no smoking within 8 hrs and no drinking within 50ft, hahaha, is joke.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a cashe of canned green beans over stock certificates anyday.
    How do you like your ETF well done, medium or rare? image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope most of the folks actually played their picks! Well done. I liked DRYS for a home run swing but I was terrified to put it out there it case someone followed it and it stunk up the place. DRYS hit it out of the park so far in 2012. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>I'll take a cashe of canned green beans over stock certificates anyday.
    How do you like your ETF well done, medium or rare? image >>

Well, everyone has a different level of investing sophisitication. If food is the extent of one's experience, perhaps that's what they're best sticking with.

Are we to assume you have no 401k, no savings bonds, no cash, no gold or silver, no house or automobile, as well as no stock,
    because you can't cook any of those assets "well done, medium, or rare" either? image
    best of luck to you

• Options
    RGR has done pretty well sinse Osama took office.
    Curious as to why RGR is getting flooded with orders, over 1 million last month.

• Options
    RGR has done pretty well sinse Osama took office.

In the old 'hood, "sinse" had a different meaning, and there was strong demand for dat kine.

Are you referring to the "office" that Osama now occupies at the bottom of the Atlantic?

edit: and did you buy some RGR ahead of that remarkable advance, or are you just noting it after the fact?

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll take a cashe of canned green beans over stock certificates anyday.
    How do you like your ETF well done, medium or rare? image >>

Your cashe of beans are no good w/o a can opener ... make sure you open them before the expiration dateimage

I'll be hoarding manual can openers, finger and tonail clippers.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Looks like I have been slacking when it comes to dividends - I hope to catch up next weekend.

If anyone knows of one that I missed, please let me know.
  • Options
    Bailey it's since, my typo.
    OPA, who needs a can opener, rub n rotate any canned good on concrete, asphalt, or a flat rock, can will open with ease.
  • Options

<< <i>RGR has done pretty well sinse Osama took office.
    Curious as to why RGR is getting flooded with orders, over 1 million last month. >>

I don't understand that either as I just bought a Glock 26 myself.image
  • Options

<< <i>I hope most of the folks actually played their picks! Well done. I liked DRYS for a home run swing but I was terrified to put it out there it case someone followed it and it stunk up the place. DRYS hit it out of the park so far in 2012. MJ >>

DYRS has done well in 2012; but the past chart would have kept me out of the stock. Either way, we're all big boys and can own up to our own decision making process and financial results.

Edit: Had you played it, you'd be winning this thing at +74% YTD. I do read what you mean, though, about the human tendency to try to find someone or something "else" to blame for disappointing life outcomes, esp. investing results, besides the individual decisions one makes and purposeful action one takes during the hours of the day each of us has to work with.

(for some strange reason, though, it's really, really easy to take Credit for the good calls image )

I'd write more, but now I'm going to go outside and try to open a can of soup on the sidewalk image

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>RGR has done pretty well sinse Osama took office.
    Curious as to why RGR is getting flooded with orders, over 1 million last month.

Ruger has actually stopped taking orders temporarily because they could not meet production.

Possibly because Ruger has a challenge out there that they will donate $1 of each Ruger purchased between the 2011 and 2012 NRA Annual Meetings. The 2012 is coming up in a few weeks.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd write more, but now I'm going to go outside and try to open a can of soup on the sidewalk >>

I tried, and now my soup is on the sidewalk...I'll stick with the can openerimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Relative newbie thoughts:
    The buy low-sell high thing, is more valid than ever right now, correct. It used to be generic advice to not try to chase the swings, but that is really more for new investors, right. If you follow things more closely, daily, you have more of a base to buylowsellhigh.

The dow is up. It flirted a bit at a few hundred above 13000, then back down and below 13000, now today a few hundred above. Isn't the trend always that it doesn't float long at the top. I mean there were hiccups on the climb and things seem to be settling, not still on a dramatic climb. Is there a reason to think its going much much higher? This relative top, seems like a good relative top plateau to me.

Now seems to be a good time to move or sell off stuff that made profit, especially the volitile items. Do you wait and say I should have. That's more common. The big swings (plunges and return cycles happen frequently now). I say take 'some profits' if ya have'em. Convert some stuff now into PM.

Use that profit to be ready and to follow (buy) the PM dips. Look for/seek out/be ready for bargins in PMs. If you hold on to stock related stuff too long, and it starts to go on a bit of the downward slide-you may not sell while you're holding on... And if the PMs are dipping at the same time you are holding on that stock, you may miss the window. Maybe better to be more ready with $ in hand- when a good PM dip happens. Keep a diversified investing plan for both pm and market stuff. Just saying its a good time to plan some conversion over to PMs that seem right. Last few days in Silver was a good time, no? Palladium?

----------

What's anticipated if the dow takes the dive down to 11000 again? Does that equate to PMs going lower or higher? Or no direct correlation?
    COA
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Today in real life I cashed out a third of my stocks.
  • Options
    <<I tried, and now my soup is on the sidewalk...I'll stick with the can opener >>

It's trial n error. You don't want to totally rub the rolled steel edge down completely.
    Just enough to pry it open. Solid food works a bit better, Spam, tuna etc.
    It does work and in pinch better than starving. Sorry you had to waste a can of soup.
    Work on it with tuna, just sayin.

EDIT: I always keep a p-38 on my keychain, just hope I have my keys with me
    when I need to open a can image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought some HALO stock about a week ago. Thanks for the tip Baley!image
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>Bank of America. Not. >>

<< <i> It's insolvency can only be kept hidden for so long. >>

<< <i> BAC (the corporation) is going down but the stock doesn't have enough spread to the bottom to make it a winner. >>

<< <i>I wouldn't touch BAC with Baley's money. image >>

You should have.. BAC +72% YTD

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't touch BAC with Baley's money. image >>

You should have.. BAC +72% YTD >>

good return for those that keep a close eye on it.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    cbis should be shooting for the stars next week.
  • Options
    I believe I am caught up on dividends for the time being. That said, if I happen to miss one going forward, please drop me a note.

End of the first quarter results.....

• Options
    Several 5-positon moves this week, including mine. Unfortunately, it was DOWN!

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less than 700 separate the top 6, pretty neat with the wild mix of picks there.
  • Options
    Wow, more musical chairs... everybody ranked 3 through 21 changed seats this week

Still gunning for #1 zrlevin image

• Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, more musical chairs... everybody ranked 3 through 21 changed seats this week

Still gunning for #1 zrlevin image >>

Good luck. How can you ever hope to catch my 0.09% lead? ;-)
    Zach
  • Options
    Well, it's not going to happen any time soon... I held #1 for a millisecond on Monday, and by Tuesday morning, I've tumbled all the way down to 12th.

Feels a little like being caught in an avalanche, doesn't it? Hey, that's "Manipulation" for you.... or is it "buying opportunity"?

who the hell knows anymore

party on dudes!

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baley, what's "HALO"? I couldn't come up with a company name.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    You mean, besides that round shining thing over an angel's head image or the kick-ass video game?

edit: PM sent

• Options
    It's about time!

IIRC, there were only 3 contestants (maybe 4) that had an increase last week. But at least TwinTurbo is back into positive valuesimage

• Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Well at least I'm not sinking. Never been a top contender, but I am doing better the last few weeks. Depending on world event it's possible for me to win the silver. That's for coming in last, correct?

This has been fun and educational. Did I mention baffling. Take care. jws
  • Options

<< <i>
    A market crash later in the year would scramble these all up, of course, and maybe we'll see a nice correction somewhere along the way to see how different asset classes perform >>

We got a nice correction last week, is it a healthy rest for the Bull to resume advancing this week? Or the Bear coming out of hibernation and continue to roar some more?

And if everything drops some more, is it better to add to positions on the weakness, or have stop-loss levels and sell before [the real carnage]

Best wishes to all portfilios real and imagined. I've been taking profits here and there the past few weeks, bought a few early quarters and a half eagle, will probably put some dry powder back to work this month if stocks and/or metals drop another 8-10%

Otherwise standing pat, very interesting market to follow

• Options
    That's me Bailey. Standing back, watching and paying close attention. I just might unload everything. Take care. jws
  • Options
    Halo. High altitude low opening. As when you jump out of a plane. It's a blast, but they don't sell stock. Take care. jws
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I think most people here still have a shot at winning this and it may come down to the last day. I think the winning percentage may be 75% by the end of the year.
  • Options
    Heck I;m hoping to loose, that's how u win, if I understand this game. Take care. jws
  • Options
    Heck I'm hoping to lose, that's how you win, if I understand this game. Take care. jws

Yes, earlier posts indicate that the last place finisher will receive some prizes; With this new understanding, I will now try to come in last instead of first.

(and in actual portfolio, I'll trade the swings. This one was a "you get $9k, invest it and leave it alone for a year" contest. Had it been a trading contest, it would have been a lot more complicated to track for the very kind Wingsrule (he might not have volunteered to run the spreadsheet) but it's still early... anything can happen image

• Options

With this new understanding, I will now try to come in last instead of first.

Well, you better try harder, because you only dropped 19 spots this week. Still have a few more to go...image

• Options
    Halo; High altitude low opening, Its fun but u better have guts. Take cafe. jws
  • Options
    Wings rule, u sure I dropped 19 spot's. My math says no. I was never good at math. Still I believe you are mistaken. Might not have checked the right one, Anyway that would be great, last place wins the prize, Hope to go to the bottom and win the silver. lol Take care jws
  • Options
    Julio - Baley's HALO pick cratered this week - he's the one who dropped 19 spots (from 5 down to 24).
  • Options
    Oh my bad, I thought I had dropped 19 spots. Looked and said one of is crazy. lol. Take care jws
  • Options
    Wow it's nasty out there today. Glad I'm in a position to ride this out. Take care. jws