Home Sports Talk
Options

2012 SF Giants discussion: NL West Champs

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    2012 AS SF Giants discussion: 7/15 - Giants sweep Astros, go 1.5 games up on the NL West.

Even w/o Melky (paternity leave) and Theriot (too tired), Giants managed to win with Schierholtz (1-3, bb) and Burriss (1-4, 1 run) in their spots.

No drama from Casilla, though Boch had Lopez dispose of a lead-off lefty in the top of the 9th before bringing him in. Cain wasn't sharp though. Since the perfect game, the Giants are 2-3 in his starts (same as Zito, though Giants have 3-2 records behind each of the other guys).
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    ...would like to see them better road trippin'... in ATL and PHL
  • Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/16 - 2 games up in the West, Giants head east for some abuse

Well, this road trip will certainly be a test.

Here's the road (SF) vs home (other guys) numbers for the matchups:

Tuesday: Zito (3-3, 5.19 era, 1.59 whip) vs Jurrjens (1-0, 5.03 era, 1.93 whip)
    Wednesday: Vogelsong (3-2, 3.59 era, 1.26 whip) vs Minor (3-2, 5.14 era, 1.24 whip)
    Thursday: Bumgraner (4-4, 4.43 era, 1.29 whip) vs Hudson (3-3, 5.40 era, 1.43 whip)

Friday: Lincecum (1-6, 9.00 era, 1.81 whip) vs Worley (2-2, 4.07 era, 1.43 whip)
    Saturday: Cain (5-1, 3.28 era, 1.197 whip) vs Hamels (5-3, 2.76 era, 1.10 whip)
    Sunday: Zito (3-3, 5.19 era, 1.59 whip) vs Blanton (4-3, 4.76 era, 1.19 whip)

However, Giants pitching staff vs hot weather = 1-5, 7.50 era, 1.73 whip

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Broxton would be the most interesting add.... >>

Giants fans will root for whoever the team puts a uniform on, but rooting for Broxton (former Dodger closer) will be weird. Then again, if it wasn't for Broxton, the Giants magical 2010 post-season may never have happened.... >>

I wish the Giants would add Broxton, because I would love it if the Royals would subtract him. Single, then 8 straight balls to walk the next two, sac fly and boom! blown save. Plus he takes forever to throw a damn pitch. Just not consistent enough.

Meanwhile, can we have Melky back? We got absolutely nothing at all for him. I mean nothing, a complete nobody. Dayton Moore looks like a real idiot with that trade.

Edit to add Sanchez numbers for tonights start: 1.1 inning, 7 hits, 7 earned runs. Thanks for the great pitcher Dayton Moore!

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Meanwhile, can we have Melky back? We got absolutely nothing at all for him. I mean nothing, a complete nobody. Dayton Moore looks like a real idiot with that trade.

Edit to add Sanchez numbers for tonights start: 1.1 inning, 7 hits, 7 earned runs. Thanks for the great pitcher Dayton Moore! >>

When he's healthy, has control of his pitches, isn't temperamental and has proper coaching Jonathan Sanchez is actually a pretty good pitcher.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    I wrote this last year during my "Giants Hot Stove discussion":

"11/7: Jonathan Sanchez dealt for Melky Cabrera! WTF?
    Cabrera had a flukey year last year but is usually sub-Cody Ross in production. The giants also dealt Ryan Verdugo, who's a minor league lefty strike-out guy with similar control issues.
    The Royals are LOL'ing. "

I am so glad to be dead wrong!

I just wonder what he's doing differently?
    2148 pa w/ NY: .269/.331/.385
    509 pa w/ ATL: .255/.317/.354
    706 pa w/ KC: .305/.339/.470
    374 pa w/ SF: .353/.391/.514

I've read that he was a partying fool back in NY, got fat in ATL, then apparently settled down with some girl while with KC, and just had a kid with her while in SF.

If the Royals want to salvage Jonathan Sanchez, they need to make a deal for Eli Whiteside, his old personal catcher.

• Options
    Just read that the Royals DFA'ed Jonathan Sanchez and called up Ryan Verdugo (the other guy traded for Melky) to start tonight.

I wouldn't oppose the Giants bringing Dirty back to the org, in a no-risk minor league deal. Maybe sticking him over in Fresno (where Eli is) and seeing if he can figure things out would be good for him?

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just read that the Royals DFA'ed Jonathan Sanchez and called up Ryan Verdugo (the other guy traded for Melky) to start tonight.

I wouldn't oppose the Giants bringing Dirty back to the org, in a no-risk minor league deal. Maybe sticking him over in Fresno (where Eli is) and seeing if he can figure things out would be good for him? >>

I just noticed that on the Royals website. Actually I thought Sanchez for Melky was a straight up trade, didn't know we got another pitcher. Hope Verdugo does well tonight, maybe all is not lost after all. Looks like he had pretty good stats at Triple A.

Since this is a Giants thread, I am really happy Melky is doing so well with the Giants. I didn't think last year was a fluke, because he hit consistently all year long, with no major slumps. Now he's even stepped it up a notch and is even walking more. It was nice to see him do so well in the All star game, especially in K.C.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

<< <i>I am really happy Melky is doing so well with the Giants. I didn't think last year was a fluke, because he hit consistently all year long, with no major slumps. Now he's even stepped it up a notch and is even walking more. It was nice to see him do so well in the All star game, especially in K.C. >>

Did Melky have his "Melk-Men" fanclub running around KC in 50s era Milk Man uniforms? Or is that a SF thing?

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/17 - Former Cy Young Winner Barry Zito DOMINATES Braves. Wait, what?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Hector went down with a sprained knee, so I expect Eli Whiteside is on the first plane to Atlanta. It was nice having a backup catcher who could hit a little bit for a while. Now we're back to Whiteside. Blegh.

• Options
    Gary Brown's bat is heating up in AA (a pitcher's league). His splits are impressive:

Mar/Aprl: .227/.333/.284
    May: .258/.318/.317
    June: .304/.372/.431
    July: .429/.452/.671

If the Giants want to make a splash in the trade market, this guy's name will be brought up by any team that wants to make a deal.

Or, maybe we'll see this guy get a call up this year?

Not much thunder in the minors these days. Brown's about it. Roger Kieschnick was having a great season in AAA until he fractured his left shoulder running into a wall while trying to catch what ended up being a walk-off homer. He's a righty thrower and a lefty batter, so the injury isn't as bad as it could have been.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/18 - Hector to the DL, Whiteside back.

I guess we were getting spoiled, we had a promising young backup catcher who could actually hit a little bit (.281/.286/.383) but can't draw a walk (2 walks in 133 pa), and have had to swap him out with an old (but usable) backup catcher who can't hit that much (.218/.274/.339), but does occasionally draw a walk (8 walks in 182 pa in AAA).

Well, this comes the day that Bochey was talking about trying to get Sanchez more playing time behind the plate, and getting Posey more innings at 1st. Looks like he's going to be forced to let Belt work through his stuff.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/18 - Closer problems

Santiago Casilla blew another save tonight when he served up a game tying 2 out, 2 run homer in the bottom of the 10th.

In his past 8 appearances, he has 3 saves and 5 blown saves. However, the Giants have still managed to win 3 of those 5 blown saves.

I suspect that the deadline move the Giants are prioritizing right now is acquiring a closer.

Anyways, crazy game tonight. You'd never expect the Giants to hit a pair of 3 run homes in the same inning while Posey and Panda are out of the game. Two guys with no power, Brandon Crawford (1 pitch after he floored himself with a foul to his knee), and Gregor Blanco did the honors. Awesome.

So, instead of laying down and getting worked over by the Braves in Atlanta, they go for the sweep tomorrow with Bumgarner on the hill. 3 games up in the west too. Niiiiice.

So, Nate Schierholtz isn't happy in SF anymore and said that he'd welcome a trade, since he doesn't feel like he'll ever get playing time again. According to Nate, Boch told him directly "I don't see you as an every day player." I kinda feel bad for Nate. He started out red hot, then slumped for a week. Blanco heated up and took his job, but Boch has been sticking with Blanco through thick and thin, going with Christian when he wants to give Blanco a break. Nate's now at the end of the bench. image Nate's one of those guys who I saw as being a potential star. He's always managed to pull some sort of major clutch hit out of his bag at a moments notice in the past, except for these last few months.

Nate:
    April = 64 pa, .283/.313/.550
    May = 38 pa, .182/.263/.182
    June = 38 pa, .250/.368/.344
    July = 15 pa, .286/.333/.429

Blanco
    April = 27 pa, .182/.296/.273
    May = 110 pa, .315/.427/.457
    June = 121 pa, .218/.277/.335
    July = 39 pa, .242/.359/.242

Christian
    July = 17 pa, .267/.353/.333

But, with Blanco you've got speed and OBP. He's a legit leadoff man and table setter. Nate's better suited as a 5, 6, or 7 hitter.

But, you can't play both without sitting Angel Pagan.

Pagan
    April = 96 pa, .250/.281/.478
    May = 118 pa, .375/.422/.462
    June = 106 pa, .245/.302/.306
    July = 43 pa, .250/.279/.350

I don't know. I know that if he was starting every day, Nate's numbers wouldn't look like what they do now. Maybe the fact that we don't know that is why he doesn't get to start. Pagan's got a history of doing exactly what he's doing. Melky's tearing up the league, and Blanco's a new toy who can bat lead-off when no one else on the team seems to be able to.

That leaves Nate Schierholtz sitting on the bench.

You know what's going to happen? He's gonna get dealt for some middle-reliever, and go turn into Hunter Pence on some other team.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/19 - Bochy, Belt, and league splits.... Created On Saturday 7, April, 2012 2:11 AM by digicat

Top of the 8th. 2 out, runner on 2nd. Giants down by 1. Braves lefty on the hill.

Boch pinch-hits for (lefty) Belt with (righty) Christian.

According to the splits, against the Braves lefty, lefties are hitting .090, while righties are hitting .350.

Also according to the splits, Brandon Belt is hitting .288 with a .635 SLG vs lefties.
    Also according to the splits, Justin Christin is hitting .118 vs lefties.

Predictably, Christian flys out on the first pitch to end the inning.

vs the lefty's splits, Belt's got a difference of +.198 avg. Christian's got a difference of -.232.

So, is Boch going with the "Belt can't sustain this, so I won't let him try" and a "Christian's better than that, I need to let him work it out" attitude, or is he just looking at the pitcher's splits and nothing else?

Anyways, giants ended up loosing.

Nice effort by Bumgarner: 7 ip, 3 hits, 8 so, 0 walks, 3 runs (2 earned). 2 of those 3 hits were homers, so there you go.

• Options
    Just read that the Royals traded Jonathan Sanchez to the Rockies.

Sanchez makes less money than the guy the Rockies dealt, so that might be all this is: a salary dump.

Of course, you know what this means? Jonathan Sanchez will get a chance to pitch against the Giants. If the Giants blow him up, then LOL. However, part of me fears that the Giants will somehow figure out how to loose to him.

• Options

<< <i>Jonathan Sanchez will get a chance to pitch against the Giants. If the Giants blow him up, then LOL. However, part of me fears that the Giants will somehow figure out how to loose to him. >>

+

Either that or Blanco and Belt will each have 4-walk games.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    The weekend matchups (Road (SF) vs Home (PHI) splits used):

Friday: Lincecum (1-6, 9.00 era, 1.81 whip) vs Worley (2-2, 4.07 era, 1.43 whip)
    Saturday: Cain (5-1, 3.28 era, 1.197 whip) vs Hamels (5-3, 2.76 era, 1.10 whip)
    Sunday: Zito (4-3, 4.47 era, 1.45 whip) vs Blanton (4-3, 4.76 era, 1.19 whip)

The Atlanta series (splits vs reality)

Tuesday: Zito (3-3, 5.19 era, 1.59 whip) vs Jurrjens (1-0, 5.03 era, 1.93 whip)
    result: Zito (1-0, 0.00 era, 0.57 whip) vs Jurrjens (0-1, 21.60 era, 3.30 whip)

Wednesday: Vogelsong (3-2, 3.59 era, 1.26 whip) vs Minor (3-2, 5.14 era, 1.24 whip)
    result: Vogelsong (0-0, 1.50 era, 1.00 whip) vs Minor (0-0, 1.50 era, 0.833 whip)

Thursday: Bumgraner (4-4, 4.43 era, 1.29 whip) vs Hudson (3-3, 5.40 era, 1.43 whip)
    result: Bumgraner (0-1, 2.57 era, 0.43 whip) vs Hudson (1-0, 2.45 era, 1.36 whip)

• Options
    This is the second quality start in a row for Lincecum and this time against, despite their record, a decent team. Could this be the real return of the Freak Show?

And for a guy who at times looks like he couldn't water if he jumped from a boat, Crawford's got two homers for 7 RBI in two games.
  • Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/20 - Freaky Friday, Lincecum deals, Crawford slams.

Lincecum was solid for the 2nd start in a row tonight, going 7 innings, giving up 2 runs (balk, homer) on 5 hits and 2 walks, and striking out 6.

Brandon Crawford has been hitting the ball well for a light-hitting shortstop. A grand slam and another RBI hit later. Niiice.

Vance Worley did his own 2012 Lincecum impersonation, by totally dominating the Giants for 5 innings, then getting totally blown up in the "big inning" 6th...

hit, hit, walk, sac-fly, walk, slam.

The critical juncture in the game for Lincecum was the 4th when he spent the whole inning in the stretch. The only run that scored was when he fell off the mound during a pitch.

• Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Go Timmy!!! It's too bad I also started Worley.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    On the subject of Vance Worley, does anyone else think he bears a skinnier but yet uncanny resemblance to Eric Gagne?
  • Options

<< <i>On the subject of Vance Worley, does anyone else think he bears a skinnier but yet uncanny resemblance to Eric Gagne? >>

He's got the same kind of glasses as Gagne used to wear, but take those away and I don't think they look anything alike.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/21 - Cain and Hamels homer off each other in the same inning. LOL!

Pretty weird. Some say that Cain and Hamels are like righty/lefty clones of each other. Today they both went 8 innings, gave up 5 earned, including 3 homers each, and each hit a homer off the other.

Nice to see the Giants win on the road after the thumping they got in PIT and DC. This is the first time this year that they've won 2 series in the same road trip.

• Options
    MLB Cain vs. Hamels = WWE Kane vs. Undertaker. People always say they're mirror copies of one another. Today's game totally eerily reinforces that. I was expecting a pitcher controlled duel and perhaps a 2-1 final score. Never thought each would give up 5 ER.

I'm certain half the Bay Area got a bit nervous when Senor B.S. came in to close it with a 1 run lead. Miraculously that 1 run lead held up.

Speaking of Cole Hamels, with Barry Zito's contract nearing an end, wouldn't it be great if the Giants went after Hamels?

• Options

<< <i>Speaking of Cole Hamels, with Barry Zito's contract nearing an end, wouldn't it be great if the Giants went after Hamels? >>

Hamels would be a great addition, but I don't think it'll happen. Honestly, I think Hamels is gonna be a rental player for anyone other than the Phillies. Hamels likes it there, and has said that he'd be open to a trade, because he could just come back as a FA.

• Options

<< <i>Hamels would be a great addition, but I don't think it'll happen. Honestly, I think Hamels is gonna be a rental player for anyone other than the Phillies. Hamels likes it there, and has said that he'd be open to a trade, because he could just come back as a FA. >>

I was always under the impression that Hamels wanted out of Philly unless they made him an offer that was substantially higher than anything else and that he preferred to play for a West Coast team. The Dodgers supposedly will go after him aggressively.
  • Options
    Reports are that Hamels and the Phillies are close to a new deal.

The Dodgers are linked to just about every starting pitcher on the market because it's their most obvious need. Doesn't mean that they'll get anyone they want.

• Options
    My biggest fear right now is that the Giants are going to trade off prospects to get someone like Jonathan Broxton.

Dude's numbers don't suck, but I have a hard time seeing him as anything other than a defeated foe.

• Options
    Just curious, has Brandon Belt had a single hit since the all-star break? The more I watch of him the more I think he's useless.
  • Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/22 - Giants avoid the sweep.

Nice to see Nate turning it on again. With Blanco regressing, it's time for Nate to become Nate the Great again.

Belt's fallen into a hole. I like the kid, but he seems to be thinking too much.

• Options
    Latest rumors link the Giants to Indians closer Chris Perez.

Perez has a 3.06 era, 1.047 whip, and a 5.86 so/bb ratio.

He's converted 26 out of 28 save opportunities.

Aside from a few outings, he appears to be a clean closer. He won't walk the bases loaded.

The big question is, who should/would the Giants part with to get him?

• Options
    I'm guessing they're not looking for anyone long term, just to keep the spot warm until Brian Wilson comes back?

Can't say I know much about the Indians but are they shorthanded in one or few specific positions? Maybe they'll take Casilla plus a minor leaguer.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm guessing they're not looking for anyone long term, just to keep the spot warm until Brian Wilson comes back? Can't say I know much about the Indians but are they shorthanded in one or few specific positions? >>

Apparently they want a MLB righty outfield bat or a starting pitcher. They're not blowing up their team though, and want pieces to put them in contention next year.

I don't know who the Giants have that they'd want though. Giants need an righty outfield bat too, and we don't have any starting pitchers to spare, unless Eric Hacker counts as a "MLB Ready" starting pitchers.

I don't know what the mind-set is, whether they're looking for a place holder that they can deal later (Perez has 2 more years under team control), or insurance, just in case Wilson's not ready, or not any good.

Plus, 2013 is Wilson's final arb year, and the Giants need to figure out what they want to pay him, if they keep him at all.

• Options
    Other than Melky there isn't really a reliable bat in the Giants outfield either. Pagan, Schierholtz and Blanco all have had their moments but there is room for improvement. Schierholtz has sort of wanted out so maybe he might go. Is Gary Brown ready to become a 4th outfielder?

Brad Penny is a ready starter who I think is expendable but I don't know if he's what the Indians have in mind.
  • Options

<< <i>Other than Melky there isn't really a reliable bat in the Giants outfield either. Pagan, Schierholtz and Blanco all have had their moments but there is room for improvement. Schierholtz has sort of wanted out so maybe he might go. Is Gary Brown ready to become a 4th outfielder? >>

Nate's batting leadoff again tonight, so they're either showcasing him, or they're tyring to ride his annual hot-streak while Blanco gets his head back into the game.

As for Brown, after a slow start, he's caught fire for the last 2 months and is back to looking like a top-prospect, and he's doing this in what most consider to be a pitcher's league. His numbers are currently at .290/.353/.405, with 25 doubles, 2 triples, 6 homers, 27 steals (14 cs), and 26 walks to 59 strikeouts.

Statistically, his minor league numbers look like Fred Lewis' minor league numbers. So, while he's a legit "prospect," there's no promise that he'll pan out.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/23 - Buster's busting out.

Buster's on fire right now. In the 10 games since the break, he's batting .513 with 3 homers and 17 rbi.

Vogelsong is flat out awesome this year. Some folks thought last year was a fluke. He's actually taken it up a notch:

2011: first 18 starts: 9-1, 110.1 ip, 2.28 era, 1.268 whip
    2012: first 18 starts: 8-4, 123.2 ip, 2.26 era, 1.108 whip

Voggey didn't finish as well in 2011 though, but hopefully he'll avoid that this year.

• Options
    There's word that the Marlins are looking to blow up the team and that most of their guys would be made available. It's a very, very long shot and perhaps a dream but would Giancarlo Stanton be worth gutting the farm for?
  • Options

<< <i>There's word that the Marlins are looking to blow up the team and that most of their guys would be made available. It's a very, very long shot and perhaps a dream but would Giancarlo Stanton be worth gutting the farm for? >>

The Marlins trade Stanton? The dude's 22 years old and hasn't hit Arb yet, so he's making peanuts. It would make no sense for the Marlins to trade him. No sense at all. And, if they DID trade him for prospects, MLB will confiscate the team, and the people of Miami will storm the stadium and drag the members of the Marlins front office into the street to be beaten. THEN, while they're in the hospital being treated for their injuries, Selig will send a black-ops team in to finish up.

Would I want the Giants to be the team that triggers this chain of events? Sure. Give us Stanton! Here's Nate Schierholtz, Gary Brown, and Aaron Rowand's bill.

They're far more likely to try and move Hanley instead.

• Options
    I don't think the Giants are going to make a huge splash at this deadline. Last year, we knew Beltran was coming to the Giants long before the deal was done. So far, the only wretched rumor that's persisted for a long time is getting Jonathan Broxton.

Last year, most of the trades were desperation moves. Keppinger (7/19) and O Cabrera (7/30) filled vacencies. Beltran (7/28) was a huge move that backfired epically.

2010 deadline moves:
    7/31 = Bowker & Martinez to the Pirates for Javier Lopez.
    7/31 = scrub for Ramon Ramirez.

2009 deadline moves:
    7/27 = traded scrub for Ryan Garko
    7/29 = traded prospect Tim Alderson for Freddy Sanchez

2008 deadline moves:
    7/20 = traded Ray Durham for Darren Ford and a scrub.

2007 deadline moves:
    7/31 = traded Matt Morris for Rajai Davis and a scrub. (salary dump)

2006 deadline moves:
    7/22 = traded Jeremy Accardo for Vinnie Chulk and Shea Hillenbrand.
    7/28 = traded scrub for Mike Stanton (the old relief pitcher)

2005 deadline moves:
    7/30 = traded Jesse Foppart and Yorvit Torrealba for Randy Winn.

2004 deadline moves:
    7/30 = traded Felix Rodriguez for 2 scrubs.

2003 deadline moves:
    7/13 = traded Clay Hensley (yeah, that one) for Matt Herges.
    7/31 = traded Kurt Ainsworth, Damian Moss, and a scrub for Sidney Ponson.

2002 deadline moves:
    7/28 traded 2 scrubs for Kenny Lofton (BOOM).

2001 deadline moves:
    7/24 = traded 3 scrubs for Andres Galarraga.
    7/27 = traded a scrub for Wayne Gomes
    7/30 = traded Armando Rios and Ryan Vogelsong for Jason Schmidt and a scrub.
    7/31 = traded a scrub for Jason Christiansen.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/24 - Being played out of position, Panda injures his hamstring.

Ya know, it seems like the baseball gods don't want anyone playing 1st base except for Brandon Belt. Huff got hurt, Pill slumped bad. Then, they moved Sandoval to 1st, and tonight he pulled his hamstring and will miss who knows how much time.

Injuries prompt rash decisions. Watch Sabean make a stupid-ass trade now. Gonna wake up tomorrow and see this headline:
    "Giants aquire Aramis Ramirez for 3 prospects (Gary Brown, Heath Hembree, Tommy Joseph)."

• Options

• Options
    Just got back from tonight's game. Very 2011 feeling about it. We knew Volquez has been good this year but didn't think he would shut down Buster and Melky like he did. Essentially the game was a snoozer until the Pagan play in the 8th.

Even better was how Kershaw got blasted this evening in St. Louis.

Any new news about Panda?
  • Options

<< <i>Any new news about Panda? >>

High left hamstring strain. MRI in the morning will reveal the extent of the damage (if there is anything significant). Even if they come back negative, he's going to sit for a few days.

They'll find out in time to pull the trigger and ship Madison Bumgarner, Sergio Romo, and Gary Brown to the Royals for Yuniesky Betancourt and Jonathan Broxton.

Dodgers look like they're gonna land Ryan Dempster and his 2.11 era. The D-Backs aren't curling up and dying yet. Rocks and Pads are zombies, and we know what happens when you get bit by a zombie.

• Options

<< <i>Dodgers look like they're gonna land Ryan Dempster and his 2.11 era. The D-Backs aren't curling up and dying yet. Rocks and Pads are zombies, and we know what happens when you get bit by a zombie. >>

I thought Dempster was going to the Braves. Is that deal officially dead?

Now it's reported the Dodgers got Hanley Ramirez from Miami. The Dodgers gave up Eovaldi and a reliever.
  • Options

<< <i>I thought Dempster was going to the Braves. Is that deal officially dead?

Now it's reported the Dodgers got Hanley Ramirez from Miami. The Dodgers gave up Eovaldi and a reliever. >>

Dempster has a full no-trade clause, and apparently vetoed the Braves trade and told the Cubs that he wants to go to the Dodgers. Apparently they tried to work a deal out with the Dodgers before, but the it fell through. Now they're crawling back to the Dodgers begging for scraps.

Hanley's a good move. Apparently LA's eating 100% of his contract. Hanley's going to be a huge upgrade over what Uribe's been giving them.

If ever there was a time for Brandon Belt to turn into Will Clark, it's now.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>imageAngel Pagan turns 2 from the warning track! >>

AWESOME PLAY ... thanks for sharing. I enjoyed when he played for the Mets ... wish they still had him.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Giants aquire Aramis Ramirez for 3 prospects (Gary Brown, Heath Hembree, Tommy Joseph)." >>

Yes, please.
  • Options
    They just officially announced that Eric Surkamp underwent Tommy John surgery. He's had problems for a while now, but I guess they wanted to see if he responded to treatment before going this route.

He was put on the 60-day DL a while back.

As for Panda, the MRI confirms a hammy strain, but they're going to treat him for a few days and re-evaluate on Friday. If he's going to be out less than a week, the Giants will play short. If he's going to be out longer, say "hello" to Aubrey Huff.

Posey's getting a day off, so today's LOLineup:

Blanco RF
    Theriot 2B
    Cabrera LF
    Pagan CF
    Crawford SS
    Belt 1B
    Arias 3B
    Whiteside C
    Lincecum RHP

Hope Timmy's back to form, because two of our best hitters are sitting today.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/25 - Lincecum can't last 5 innings vs Padres

Final line on Lincecum's day:

4.2 ip, 7 hits, 5 runs, 3 walks, 1 hbp, 8 strikeouts
    2 homers, 2 wild pitches. 102 pitches.

And, while Posey sits and Panda's hurt, Giants are getting 1-hit.

• Options
    Same old story since the all-star break: win big the first game, barely squeeze by game 2, drop game 3 while the Dodgers stay hot.

So much for that comeback. Lincecrap is alive and kicking.