Home Sports Talk

2012 SF Giants discussion: NL West Champs

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>So much for that comeback. Lincecrap is alive and kicking. >>

Of course, if the Giants could hit the ball out of the infield, maybe they'd still be able to compete.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So much for that comeback. Lincecrap is alive and kicking. >>

Of course, if the Giants could hit the ball out of the infield, maybe they'd still be able to compete. >>

True but only the Rangers and Yankees are regularly able to bail out their pitchers when they give up 5 runs in less than 5 innings. Last night and today they're looking a lot like the 2011 team at this time last year: turning average pitchers into Cy Young contenders for a day.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    Jesus Guzman with 2 homers today. He used to be a Giant back in the day.

Giants are 8-29 when giving up 5 runs or more.
    Rangers are 7-26.
    Yankees are 9-26.

<< <i>Giants are 8-29 when giving up 5 runs or more. >>

That's a surprise they've won that many games when they've given up more than 5 runs.

Actually I'm still in shock over something that happened in the bottom of the 9th inning...Brandon Belt actually got a hit. What is this, his second hit since the all-star break?
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

<< <i>Actually I'm still in shock over something that happened in the bottom of the 9th inning...Brandon Belt actually got a hit. What is this, his second hit since the all-star break? >>

Better hope for more of that. Otherwise, Boch will start Huff, and we'll have his grounders to 2nd every day to deal with.

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually I'm still in shock over something that happened in the bottom of the 9th inning...Brandon Belt actually got a hit. What is this, his second hit since the all-star break? >>

Better hope for more of that. Otherwise, Boch will start Huff, and we'll have his grounders to 2nd every day to deal with. >>

Didn't Huff hurt himself in minor league rehab the other day? Any chance Pill might get recalled up?
    Boch says that if Panda goes to the DL, they'll activate Huff as early as Friday.

<< <i>Any chance Pill might get recalled up? >>

Pill's hitting well right now.

The Dodgers have lost 2 straight, so they're still 2 1/2 behind the Giants. They play tomorrow while the Giants are off, so they'll come to SF on Friday 2 or 3 games back.

2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/26 - Day off, trade speculation

So, apparently the Giants insiders are saying that Broxton isn't seen as a "fit" for the organization. GOOD. Also, it appears that the Giants were scouting K-Rod, but decided to back away quietly as they watched him get bombed in the past two games.

Dodgers lost today, and come to AT&T Park 3 games back.

Home stats: Giants 31-17 at home.
    Cain: 5-2, 1.96 era, 0.754 whip
    Zito: 4-3, 3.09 era, 1.301 whip
    Vogelsong: 5-2, 1.41 era, 1.014 whip

Visitor stats: Dodgers are 24-27 on the road.
    ?? (Eovaldi got traded)
    Billingsley: 4-5, 4.01 era, 1.269 whip
    Kershaw: 2-3, 4.31 era, 1.101 whip

Not sure who the Dodgers will have pitch on Friday. Lilly's still on the DL. If they trade for Garza, he'll be ready (Dempster pitched yesterday). They'll either call someone up, or go with a bullpen game.

Now apparently the Giants are looking to the Rockies to provide some reinforcements. Some names being mentioned are righty relievers Rafael Betancourt (37) and Matt Belisle (32), and utility infielder Marco Scutaro (36).

At first glance, Scutaro seems like an instant upgrade over Manny Burriss, but the problem with Scutaro is that away from Coors Field, he's hitting .238/.278/.292, which is a minor upgrade over Manny Burriss' .214/.273/.221 off the bench. However, I really don't think that's enough of an "upgrade" to give up a prospect for.

Betancourt probably wants to get out of town. He's got a 5.40 era and 1.309 whip in Coors, but 0.51 era and 0.906 whip anywhere else this year. Belisle is probably the guy the Rockeis would prefer to keep, as he's managed a solid 2.81 era in the thin air (1.71 on the road).

Brandon League's name has also come up. He's got a 2.98 era with a 1.441 whip with the Mariners.

We won't be seeing the Giants make a huge splash this year.

Given where they are (minus the injury to Panda) right now I don't think there is a need to make a huge splash. As long as everybody else on the lineup plays to their potential this is a decent team.

Looks like the they're out on Broxton and Rodriguez for good, which might be a sigh of relief to a bunch of people. He's now been mentioned but what about Josh Willingham to fill the righty outfielder role? Would he be a good fit?

Tonight it looks like the Dodgers are going with Stephen Fife, a spot starter just recalled up from the minors.

<< <i>Looks like the they're out on Broxton and Rodriguez for good, which might be a sigh of relief to a bunch of people. He's now been mentioned but what about Josh Willingham to fill the righty outfielder role? Would he be a good fit? >>

Willingham would be nice, but to quote the Twins GM on Willingham's availability: "He's out there if you want to pay, like, forever."

I don't know what paying forever looks like though. Sounds like they're either just blowing hot air, or he's going to make stupid trade demands (e.g. Willingham for Cain)

Some are now dropping that the Giants are interested in Hunter Pence. I wonder if there are any MLB teams that aren't interested in Hunter Pence?

• JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I think Hunter Pence would be more available at this point than Willingham, and possibly a great addition.

Justin

<< <i>I think Hunter Pence would be more available at this point than Willingham, and possibly a great addition. >>

Since they just extended Hamels for big bucks, I can't see why the Phillies would get rid of Pence, unless they were getting solid MLB pieces in return, not prospects.

I'd imagine the Phillies would want some package that involved Posey, Sandoval, Melky, Cain, or Bumgarner. The rotation is on thin ice as it is with no real pitchers ready to get called up. Posey, Sandoval, and Melky are superior offensive players than Pence at this point of the season, so a straight-up trade wouldn't help the Giants.

Since they're looking to compete next year, I don't see how prospects would help the Phillies, but if they want prospects, then so-long Gary Brown and Tommy Joseph!

• JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think Hunter Pence would be more available at this point than Willingham, and possibly a great addition. >>

I can't see why the Phillies would get rid of him though. >>

The Phillies owe about 105 million to 5 of their core players now that they re-upped Hamels. From a financial standpoint, they are probably feeling the need to trim some salary, though that might be the only smart reason that even remotely makes sense. Pence is a great player, and I'd rather see him help out the Giants beat down the Dodgers in the NL West. image With all the additions the Dodgers are speculated to be involved in, the Giants may need to do something...or not; Hanley might be the only thing the Giants need - a headcase in the Dodgers clubhouse.

Justin
    From what I've seen I believe Hunter Pence is one of the few guys the Phillies are not making available.
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/27 - Giants get Marco Scutaro for Charlie Culberson

There's your non-splash. Useful infielder. He hits slightly better than Manny Burriss, but only slightly.

This is as minor of an upgrade as you can get.

I'd imagine that this spells the end of Burriss' Giants career.

In related news, the Giants are getting owned by a rookie Dodger scrub due to the Giants inability to hit with RISP.

Marco Scutaro, the gamechanger to the rescue! Oh boy, we're screwed.

Dodgers trade for Hanley and will probably end up with Dempster while the Giants balance that with Marco Scutaro. And Hanley comes and immediately makes the difference tonight. If Scutaro plays tomorrow watch him have an 0-4 2K night.

Now watch them get swept out of first by the end of the weekend. If they couldn't beat a no-name minor leaguer they have no chance against Billingsley or Kershaw.

<< <i>Dodgers trade for Hanley and will probably end up with Dempster while the Giants balance that with Marco Scutaro. And Hanley comes and immediately makes the difference tonight. If Scutaro plays tomorrow watch him have an 0-4 2K night. >>

Burriss has 5 setals, and has been caught 2 times.

Scutaro has 7 steals, and has been caught 3 times.

Not a whole lot of difference there, so speed isn't an issue.

<< <i>Marco Scutaro, the gamechanger to the rescue! Oh boy, we're screwed. >>

You think he's the new starting infielder for the SF Giants? He's a bench guy.

With Scutaro, you've got a righty off the bench who has hit more than 2 extra base hits over the past 3 seasons.

Scutaro takes Burriss's seat at the end of the bench, and, though they haven't announced anything, Burriss is likely gone.

Nothing to get exited about.

As for Hanley, he replaced the puddle of ooze that Uribe had become since going to LA. Giants don't have any obvious puddles of ooze manning a position on the field right now. 1st base maybe, unless Belt's 3-5 with 2 rbi tonight is a sign of things to come...

<< <i>You think he's the new starting infielder for the SF Giants? He's a bench guy. >>

Sacrasm.

He's definitely a bench guy but since he's new I'm thinking he'll get a start tomorrow or Sunday. It has to Burriss gone because there isn't anyone else who would be a logical choice.

At least Belt hit well and drove in a few runs tonight. It sure beats his normal routine of strikeouts.

As for the proverbial puddle of ooze, Pagan is inching there. He's sure cooled off.

<< <i>He's definitely a bench guy but since he's new I'm thinking he'll get a start tomorrow or Sunday. It has to Burriss gone because there isn't anyone else who would be a logical choice. >>

I wonder if they told the player who's leaving yet.

On a scary note, some rude twitter rumor that Melky had been pinched for testing positive for PED's actually made it's way to the Giants trainers, who asked Melky about it, and he had no idea. He called his agent and the union, both of which denied everything. However, Andrew Baggerly tweeted: "Before MLB suspends a player, they inform him of a positive test and get a B sample. Specimen collectors are here today but Melky not tested."

So, is this just the standard random testing, or is someone on the team being made to supply a "B" sample?

<< <i>On a scary note, some rude twitter rumor that Melky had been pinched for testing positive for PED's actually made it's way to the Giants trainers, who asked Melky about it, and he had no idea. He called his agent and the union, both of which denied everything. However, Andrew Baggerly tweeted: "Before MLB suspends a player, they inform him of a positive test and get a B sample. Specimen collectors are here today but Melky not tested."

So, is this just the standard random testing, or is someone on the team being made to supply a "B" sample? >>

I just did a quick search and I could find absolutely nothing that is remotely related. You know how lots of unsubstantiated rumors go viral on Twitter and I'm thinking this is an example of that. Considering Melky's status and the Bay Area media's disposition news like this would get immediate and massive coverage at any time of day. I've seen nothing.

<< <i>I just did a quick search and I could find absolutely nothing that is remotely related. You know how lots of unsubstantiated rumors go viral on Twitter and I'm thinking this is an example of that. Until I see something I seriously doubt the authenticity of that. >>

Baggs reported that the rumor made it's way into the Giants trainers, who brought it up with Melky, who was as shocked as anyone. Baggs also reported the part about the testers being in the locker room today.

The false rumor about Melky being pinched isn't what bugs me, it's the fact that the testers were in the clubhouse today.

Also, looks like your Scutaro prediction may come true. Sabes is strongly hinting that the roster move to make room for Scutaro is to DL Pablo.

So there you go. Enemy pitcher strategy: walk Melky and Posey, pitch to everyone else.

2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/28 - Scutaro starts, Huff activated, Panda to the DL, and Burriss DFA'ed

Boch says that Scutaro is now the starting 3rd baseman for the SF Giants for the next 2 weeks (until Pablo comes back).

So, it's give away day at AT&T Park! The first 20k fans get a free set of Emerald Nuts SF Giants trading cards, while the visiting Dodgers will receive a free game in the standings.

Oops, edit that, looks like the cards didn't get distributed. So, Giants fans get nothing.

Edit to that.. I was wrong. No one's talking about them on Twitter, so I figured they didn't get distributed. Just bought a set on Ebay. image

This has nothing to do with the wretched game.

Which Accardo rookie card should I use for my collection (I'll keep both, but one goes in "The Box")?

Melky's not hitting, Posey's not hitting, Pagan's not hitting, Scutaro's not hitting. Doesn't matter who the Giants have or can get. Put a Giants uniform on them, and they won't hit.

Want Hunter Pence? He'll go 0-fer clutch. Want ANYONE? They'll go 0-fer clutch.

The sucking continues and reinforcement Scutaro is well on his way to an 0-3/0-4 night. Maybe tomorrow there will be history made when Kershaw throws a no hitter.

I'm surprised as much as anyone the team has a hitting coach and they call him "Bam Bam". "Wiff Wiff" is more like it.

<< <i>The sucking continues and reinforcement Scutaro is well on his way to an 0-3/0-4 night. Maybe tomorrow there will be history made when Kershaw throws a no hitter. >>

When the Giants have to rely on backups to fill out the lineup card, the season's over.

I suppose this is payback for the shut-out series last time the Dodgers came to SF.

Dodger body language: "Win win win!!!!"
    Giants body language: "F**k it. Where are you eating after the game?"

The way they've played the last 3 games they don't deserve dinner.
    Giants claimed that Scutaro was pretty much the only guy they were going to go get.

Today, rumors are that the Giants have heated up their scouting of the Phillies. The two guys being targeted the most being Shane Victorino and Hunter Pence.

One Bay Area news guy goes as far as to say that the Giants are in "serious talks" with the Phillies about Pence.

I'd love to see Pence in RF. He loves to hit at AT&T Park too (.329/.366/.566 in 20 games). He's the guy they should have gotten last year instead of Beltran.

Voglesong: "Hey guys, I'll keep the score low. Just do SOMETHING!"
    Offense: "F**k you. You'll get at least 3 chances to hit a homer today. Do it yourself."
    Scutaro: "Routene pop up, wait, WTF is this giant glowing orb in the sky? I've played baseball for 30 years, and I've never seen something like that, OMG!"

Vogelsong: "You all suck. Here's a solid quality start for you to flush down the toilet." 6 ip, 2 runs (1 earned), LOSS

Today, Scutaro had the chance to start 3 double plays. He was 0-3, getting only the lead runner at 2nd all 3 times.

So, is this Scutaro being too slow in starting them, or Theriot too slow in throwing to 1st?

After they lose and get swept straight out of first there will be a bunch of those stupid "yeah they got swept but I don't care cuz I'm a Giants fan 4 life!" tweets. Why?

You could say the offense has hit rock bottom but in reality they haven't been hitting anything really while the fielding is still making a bunch of errors. This series is a cue to blow up the team to rid the lineup of the riff-raff.

<< <i>This series is a cue to blow up the team to rid the lineup of the riff-raff. >>

Who's the "riff-raff"?

<< <i>

<< <i>This series is a cue to blow up the team to rid the lineup of the riff-raff. >>

Who's the "riff-raff"? >>

After watching this series the entire lineup apparently.

Is there a rumor going around that Seattle is interested in Belt? if they're interested in a .230 8th hitting 1B let them have him.

<< <i>After watching this series the entire lineup apparently. >>

Come on dude, I was hoping for something more than just blind fury.

<< <i>Is there a rumor going around that Seattle is interested in Belt? if they're interested in a .230 8th hitting 1B let them have him. >>

Yeah, but they're offering an ex-closer who lost his job earlier this year because he had a blown-save problem. We already have one of those.

Melky and Posey are really the only two reliable jitters in the lineup. Schierholtz can't do much, Blanco and Pagan have gone cold, Theriot has days he hits well then goes absolutely cold and Belt and Crawford have a better chance of getting on base if they stuck their bodies in front of home plate and took a bean ball. Maybe it's the coaching but it just seems that any player who puts on a Giants uniform has a hard time driving in runs.

If it's a Brandon for Brandon proposition with Seattle it wouldn't work but if they sweeten the deal who knows.
    I wonder if it might be time to start thinking about putting Posey at 1st as a permanent move in the near future. Check out his splits at Baseballreference.com. He's a better hitter when he's not squatting behind home plate all day. Plus, with his injury from last year, the Giants coaching and management have put restrictions on how he plays his position, leading to a diet of swipe-tags-only, instead of plate blocks.

Posey to 1B is probably the inevitable route. Sanchez is a decent catcher who's a waste being stuck in a backup role as long as Posey is the primary at that position. And unless Belt or Pill find their mojo soon the change will be a necessity. No other team in the majors has such a light hitter at 1B.

This year was supposed to be Belt's breakout year. Unbelieveably he's regressed.

So the question now is: what over-the-hill, light-hitting journeyman is Sabean going to trade for now?
    my 1 1/2 year old girl: "baseball! baseball!" (I usually show her game highlights on the internet before bed.)
    Me: "Sorry sweetie, no highlights tonight. They didn't do well today."
    my nearly-4 year old girl: "If I played baseball for the Giants, the Giants would win every day and my litter sister could watch MY highlights every night!"

So there you go. image

<< <i>my 1 1/2 year old girl: "baseball! baseball!" (I usually show her game highlights on the internet before bed.)
    Me: "Sorry sweetie, no highlights tonight. They didn't do well today."
    my nearly-4 year old girl: "If I played baseball for the Giants, the Giants would win every day and my litter sister could watch MY highlights every night!"

So there you go. image >>

Your 4 y.o. would probably have a better RISP batting average than 7 of the 9 guys in the lineup.
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/29 - Hunter Pence to the Giants? Christmas in July or rude hoax?

Dennis O'Donnell, of KPIX-TV in SF is breaking that the Giants and the Phillies have a deal in place that'll send outfielder Hunter Pence to the Giants for a package who's centerpiece involves prospect catcher Tommy Joseph. The deal awaits ownership approval.

However, this is the ONLY guy reporting this. Bobby Evans denies everything. Giants beat reporters haven't heard anything other than O'Donnell's said.

Hank Schulman vouches for O'Donnell's reporting abilities, but who knows right now.

However, if the Giants land Pence, the guy they SHOULD have gotten last year instead of Beltran, then this is HUGE.

Apparently there is some talk going on between the Giants and Phils regarding Pence, but other than that one guy, no one's confirming anything right now.

The guy who broke the news is still running with it though.

I don't doubt Dennis O'Donnell's or CBS5's credibility but I can't find any second source confirming the developments and the Giants front office still denying everything. I'll believe it when I see it confirmed.

<< <i>I don't doubt Dennis O'Donnell's or CBS5's credibility but I can't find any second source confirming the developments and the Giants front office still denying everything. I'll believe it when I see it confirmed. >>

That's what the Giants beat reporters are saying. O'Donnell has broken a few Giants related items before anyone in the world in the past, so the fact that he's reporting this, and the fact that both the Giants and Phillies brass are saying "no deal is in place" it makes you wonder...

The Phillies said that they're going to wait until the deadline before agreeing to any deals, so maybe that the Phillies liked what the Giants offered and will take it at the deadline if nothing better comes along.

<< <i>The Phillies said that they're going to wait until the deadline before agreeing to any deals, so maybe that the Phillies liked what the Giants offered and will take it at the deadline if nothing better comes along. >>

The Phillies are right on the cusp of wondering if they still have a shot at a wild card spot or are completely out of it. Them getting swept over the weekend helped the decision. The Giants getting swept this weekend is persuasion that a deal needs to be done.