Home Sports Talk
Options

2012 SF Giants discussion: NL West Champs

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I agree that the fan voting process is flawed, but it's impossible to fix unless you remove the "fan vote" component.

However, consider the rules:
    a) 25 votes per email account.
    b) see (a).

That's it. Giants fans went out and played the game that MLB created for the fans to play.

Obviously, Giants fans didn't do a good enough job, as only 3 out of the 8 starters are Giants. image

<< <i>Can you imagine all the slack-jawed unemployed Giants fans that stayed up for days in their mom's basement eating Doritos and chugging Mountain Dew while mindlessly clicking Brandon Crawford's name on each of their 12 free gmail accounts? >>

Can you imagine all the slack-jawed unemployed Dodger fans that couldn't operate the computer after getting sloshed on Colt 45 and ended up passing out instead of voting? image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you imagine all the slack-jawed unemployed Dodger fans that couldn't operate the computer after getting sloshed on Colt 45 and ended up passing out instead of voting? image >>

we keep our slack-jawed unemployed fans in prison, thank you very much.

either way, taxpayers are helping support both fan bases

Apparently I've got some more rant left in me...

Did I mention that good ol' Freddy Sanchez hasn't even played a game in 13 months and still got 2.29 million votes? Yeah, he's the 4th best choice at 2nd base. Mm hmm. And did I mention that Aubrey Huff got 1.9 million votes for OF? Yep. Aubrey Huff. And don't get me started (again) on Brandon Crawford... he of the robust .232 batting average.

Ok, I think I'm done now. Feeling better. Sorry again, Rich. image
  • Options

<< <i>Did I mention that good ol' Freddy Sanchez hasn't even played a game in 13 months and still got 2.29 million votes? >>

I don't even know why he was on the ballot in the first place. The guy's been on the DL since last year. Ryan Theriot was the opening day 2nd baseman, and he wasn't on the ballot.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/3 - Lincecum gets roasted in DC oven.

It's one of those "skinny Timmy can't handle playing in the heat" type games. Giants hitters making fast outs and the Nat hitters are not. 5-0.

3 innings, 8 hits, 5 runs, 0 walks, 2 strikeouts. 71 pitches.

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I know it's hot in D.C. right now (I know because I was in the area from last Wednesday until last night and it has been an oven there) but a train wreck of an outing it still is for Lincecum. I know Timmy looks worn out but throwing 80 pitches in 3 innings tends to do that.

Zimmerman seems to be doing okay.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Zimmerman seems to be doing okay. >>

That's because the Giants hitters are swinging wildly at a steady diet of sliders out of the zone.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Zimmerman seems to be doing okay. >>

That's because the Giants hitters are swinging wildly at a steady diet of sliders out of the zone. >>

Kinda reminds me of last year's team when they faced Clayton Kershaw. A rough inning for him was having to throw more than 15 pitches to retire the Giants side.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>I know it's hot in D.C. right now (I know because I was in the area from last Wednesday until last night and it has been an oven there) but a train wreck of an outing it still is for Lincecum. Zimmerman seems to be doing okay. >>

The worst suckjob by the Giants offense that I can remember actually happened in the WS year, when they got shutout by Jamie Garcia on 89 pitches.

Ugh, Tim departs with 1 out in the 4th, bases loaded. Kontos comes in and cashes them ALL in.

So, 8 earned on Lincecum.

Probably his worst game all year. 3.1 ip, 8 earned.
    His previous "worst" was on April 11: 2.1 ip, 6 earned.

• Options
    This was Tim Lincecum's WORST start of his career. He's never given up 8 earned in a game before, and he only made it 1 out into the 4th.

At least with me, he's still got a lot equity. I can still accept the excuses, but even I'm starting to wonder if he's become the newest Dontrelle Willis.

• Options
    R.I.P. all that Timmy's back talk.

b. 6/28/2012 d.7/3/2012

The Blass Syndrome is alive and well.
  • Options

<< <i>R.I.P. all that Timmy's back talk.

b. 6/28/2012 d.7/3/2012

The Blass Syndrome is alive and well. >>

Nope, it'll be back once he puts 2 scoreless innings together.

95+ degrees in the rain? Where in the f*** are they playing? Hell?

• Options

<< <i>95+ degrees in the rain? Where in the f*** are they playing? Hell? >>

Last Friday when that big storm hit around 11pm it was about 95 degrees when the wind picked up. Except for that moment right after the storm passed in the six days five nights I was there it never fell below 85 degrees day or night.

On the bright side they only charged Timmy with 7 ER tonight instead of 8.
  • Options

<< <i>Last Friday when that big storm hit around 11pm it was about 95 degrees when the wind picked up. >>

What am I thinking, it's Washington DC. Of course it's Hell. image

• Options
    So, what would you think about Shane Victorino becoming a Giant, Gregor Blanco going to the bench, and Nate Schierholtz going away?

With the Phillies fire-sale about to begin, it's a possibility.

How about a crazy move and the Giants gut the farm to land Cole Hamels and give him a Matt Cain contract?

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/4 - Now it's Bumgarner's turn to be the menu.

Bum's been tagged for 7 runs before he got an out in the 5th, including 3 homers. After a 3 run 1st, the Giants bats have gone silent again.

The whole team is in a major funk right now.

• Options

<< <i>So, what would you think about Shane Victorino becoming a Giant, Gregor Blanco going to the bench, and Nate Schierholtz going away?

With the Phillies fire-sale about to begin, it's a possibility.

How about a crazy move and the Giants gut the farm to land Cole Hamels and give him a Matt Cain contract? >>

It was reported the Phillies made Victorino and Hamels available for trade. Even so it's likely they want an arm and leg for Hamels. Despite them being in last place in the NL East their fans (and management) still believe they're an ace and a few DL returns from contention so I don't see a huge Phillies fire sale happening.

Blanco is one of those wierd guys with streaks. He surprises you for a bit then he goes totally cold. Victorino is a bit too expensive for the Giants to consider. Nate Schierholtz is a fan favorite and there was thought he was going to be the OF of the future but his bat has proven otherwise. I don't have a problem seeing him go.

Love to have Cole Hamels join the team. He wants to play on the West Coast but apparently he wants a contract bigger and longer than Matt Cain's. Good chance he'll end up with the Dodgers.
  • Options

<< <i>2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/4 - Now it's Bumgarner's turn to be the menu.

Bum's been tagged for 7 runs before he got an out in the 5th, including 3 homers. After a 3 run 1st, the Giants bats have gone silent again.

The whole team is in a major funk right now. >>

This is going to be a long, crappy road trip if this keeps up. They're tumbling their way out of first place as we speak.
  • Options
    Maybe Cain, Posey, Sandoval, and Melky should opt-out of the AS Game so they can have the time off to rest.

• Options

<< <i>It was reported the Phillies made Victorino and Hamels available for trade. Even so it's likely they want an arm and leg for Hamels. Despite them being in last place in the NL East their fans (and management) still believe they're an ace and a few DL returns from contention so I don't see a huge Phillies fire sale happening. >>

OK, "fire sale" is an exaggeration. Still, Nate's a 4th outfielder right now and that makes him expendable. However, the Phillies are going to be motovated for getting SOMETHING in return for Hamels if they decide that they can't sign him.

Freaking Zito money.

• Options
    So, what is this?

Dodgers - Kemp - Ethier - Gordon - Lilly = healthy Giants?

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/5 - Freddy Sanchez officially done for season.

It was reported that Freddy Sanchez went under the knife for back surgery today. His season is officially over.

I really hoped he'd be able to work his way back, but it's not to be. He'll be a FA next season, so I wonder if retirement is looming.

Huff hurt his knee again during his rehab assignment in SJ.

Fortunately, though Huff and Sanchez were key members of the 2010 squad, they've been utterly replaced now. Brandon Belt's going to be our 1st baseman for years to come, and Theriot's filling in nicely as a #2 hitter.

But, if the Giants had known that Sanchez was totally toast, I wonder if they would have pushed during the off-season to acquire a long-term solution at 2nd.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/5 - meh.

The closer's blown his 3rd save in his past 4 appearances.

RISP are DDT to Giants bats.

Giants pitchers can't keep the ball in the park, while Giants hitters can't hit it out.

Wow, we're back in 2008 again.

This is what the 2010 Giants think about the 2012 Giants...

• Options
    Like I predicted the team is sucking their way into oblivion. 3rd place is calling.

What is it with the closers? Why can't the team find anyone who can close the 9th in a 1-2-3 inning?

Cain pitches a good game then Casilla ruins it. Cain's probably feeling sorry about signing that extension now.
  • Options

<< <i>What is it with the closers? Why can't the team find anyone who can close the 9th in a 1-2-3 inning? >>

He was moving right along until Oakland, then he totally lost it.

Oh, I don't know, who else could close? Romo? He's awesome, but physically fragile, that's why he doesn't pitch every day. Hembree's on the DL now, so no relief to be found in the minors. Forget a bat, looks like the Giants are going to try and find a closer at the trade deadline.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/6 - Giants set to walk the plank in Pit.

Zito (6-6, 3.84) vs Bedard (4-9, 4.57)
    Vogelsong (7-3, 2.26) vs McDonald (8-3, 2.45)
    Lincecum (3-9, 6.08 ) vs Burnett (9-2, 3.74 )

Zito vs Bedard, battle of lefties. Both pitchers aren't doing too well these days.
    Bedard's been getting roughed up lately, going 1-4 in his past 6 starts, and sporting a 7.04 era.
    Zito's past 6 starts have been better, going 2-4 with a 4.54 era.

Vogey vs McDonald should be a pitching duel. I'd give Voggey the edge

Lincecum vs Burnett may be a mess. Burnett's been dealing all year, but got blown up for 6 runs in 5 innings by the Astros in his last start. Lincecum's been getting blown up by everyone (except the A's) all year.

I think the Giants have a really good chance to avoid the sweep in this series. I don't expect anything though.

• Options
    Hope I'm wrong in a good way but my prediction is the Pirates sweep or win 2/3.

Tonight: Giants get a bunch of hits except with RISP where they'll go 1-9. They score 2 ER off a struggling Bedard while Zito gets tagged for 6 ER nd lasts 4 innings.

Tomorrow: Giants will lead 2-1 until Casilla comes in and blows another save and they lose 3-2.

Sunday: Lincecum gets tagged for a few homers and 6 ER while the Timmy apologists use the weather as the excuse. Burnett throws a shutout until they score a garbage run in the late innings to avoid the shutout. Pirates win 8-1.

All this will happen while the Dodgers regroup and Arizona steadily climbs in the standings.
  • Options
    Ah, they're reporting that Casilla is dealing with a blister on his pitching hand. That'll explain why he's failing to complete his pitches and everything is up in the zone.

The rotation's getting reworked for after the AS break too.

Not sure why it'd matter. Maybe swap 1 and 5 (Lincecum - Voggey) and 2-4 (Bum, Zito), going: Voggey - Zito - Cain - Bum - Lincecum

You don't want Lincecum and Zito back-to-back though, that would be too hard on the bullpen. Cain's probably going to pitch in the AS game, so if his next start was on full rest, it'd have to be the 3rd start.

• Options
    Ok, well, after 3 no-hit innings, the Giants KO'ed Bendard in the 4th inning after scoring 5 runs on him.

The Giants are 0-1 when they score 5 runs or more in an inning so far this year.

• Options
    Shockingly they pull it off tonight.

Don't know what's going on with Javier Lopez but it seems like every time he comes in this year he puts a few runners on base.

Also it's amazing how baseball works. Against the Giants the Nationals look invincible then today against lowly Colorado they get flattened.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't know what's going on with Javier Lopez but it seems like every time he comes in this year he puts a few runners on base. >>

I read that this is the first homer he's given up as a Giant. WOW.

<< <i>Also it's amazing how baseball works. Against the Giants the Nationals look invincible then today against lowly Colorado they get flattened. >>

Arizona ripped Kershaw for 5 runs in their win over LA. Mighty nice of them to help out the Giants. image

Crazy game, but the big difference was Romo. He came in and did a closer's job. 1-2-3.

SF fans go nuts for him, got his own bobble head day, he's doing commercials, doing PR stuff... is there a never-been-a-closer middle-reliever in baseball who's more beloved by his fans?

• Options
    I'm sick and tired of Vogelsong having to go to the media and say "I didn't do my job" when he racks up a solid 7 inning effort and the Giants offense scrounges together a 1 run, 5 hit effort.

This offence is supposed to be better than what it's doing.

• Options
    As predicted, Tim Lincecrap strikes again. Comes into today's game with an ERA over 6 and leaves the game actually raising his ERA. That is just pathetic.
  • Options

<< <i>Friday July 06, 2012 2:40 PM
    Sunday: Lincecum gets tagged for a few homers and 6 ER while the Timmy apologists use the weather as the excuse. Burnett throws a shutout until they score a garbage run in the late innings to avoid the shutout. Pirates win 8-1. >>

Wow, so far on Lincecum's stat line, you're just a freaking Nostradamus!

Are you predicting... or are you some sort of malevolent force that's calling these things into being? If so, stop it! image

• Options
    Once upon a time, when Lincecum was first drafted, a lot of baseball experts thought he'd be a good relief pitcher, and that his mechanics and frame wouldn't be able to handle the rigorousness job of being a starting pitcher.

He proved them wrong for 5 elite seasons, but now, all of a sudden, it seems like a switch got turned off and he's no longer the guy he was.

Maybe it's time to start thinking about him re-tooling as a relief pitcher for the time being? Maybe they can find some reason to DL him (inflamed suck-muscle, broken talent bone).

He's turned into the worst liability on the team right now.

They're trying to ride it out with him, and it's hurting the team. Maybe reducing his workload to short-relief, they'll minimize the damage while they try and figure out what his problem is.

Tim's still young and the Giants know what he's capable of, so they're not just going to cut him loose like they'd do if he was 35 years old. They're going to try and fix him. How will they fix him? I have no idea.

All i know is that they fixed Ryan Vogelsong. Go look at his baseballreference.com page to see the change.

• Options
    So, as of right now:

The Giants offence is slumping.
    The Giants starting pitching is slumping.
    The Giants bullpen is slumping.

The Giants, as a team, can't compete.

Funny thing is, everyone's healthy. Can't blame the injuries this time.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>So, as of right now: The Giants offence is slumping. The Giants starting pitching is slumping. The Giants bullpen is slumping. The Giants, as a team, can't compete. Funny thing is, everyone's healthy. Can't blame the injuries this time. >>

And they are only one game out of first. I am not a Giants fan, but you must be thrilled being only 1 game out!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>And they are only one game out of first. I am not a Giants fan, but you must be thrilled being only 1 game out! >>

The problem is that the healthy Giants team got overtaken by an idling Dodger team missing it's main 2 guys. Once Kemp and Ether come back, they're going to take off.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/9 - Cain to start the AS game

My guess is that LaRussa isn't trying to dis New York or praise SF, but is considering Dickey's knuckleball more of a change-of-pace type thing to insert after the start of the game to keep the other team off balance.

After watching the Giants get trashed in DC and Pit, I'd rather see the Giants reps stay home rather than go play in the AS game. The guys look tired and beat up. They need rest, not another exhibition game.

• Options
    Just for fun... 1st half from the past 6 years:

2012: 46-40, 3.63 era. Scored 3.9 runs per game
    51 hr, .261/.318/.379
    top hitter: Melky Cabrera: 8 hr, .353/.391/.519
    top pitcher: Ryan Vogelsong: 7-4, 2.36 era, 1.120 era

2011: 52-40, 3.20 era. Scored 3.6 runs per game
    59 hr, .243/.309/.363
    top hitter: Pablo Sandoval: 8 hr, .303/.341/.503
    top pitcher: Ryan Vogelsong: 6-1, 2.17 era, 1.193 whip

2010: 47-41, 3.50 era. Scored 4.4 runs per game
    82 hr, .261/.326/.406
    top hitter: Aubrey Huff: 17 hr, .295/.384/.544
    top pitcher: Tim Lincecum: 9-4, 3.16 era, 1.277 whip

2009: 49-39, 3.51 era. Scored 4.4 runs per game
    63 hr, .262/.312/.393
    top hitter: Pablo Sandoval: 15 hr, .333/.385/.578
    top pitcher: Tim Lincecum: 10-2, 2.33 era, 1.050 whip

2008:40-55, 4.29 era. Scored 4.0 runs per game
    57 hr, .255/.320/.382
    top hitter: Aaron Rowand (WTF?): 8 hr, .291/.359/.445
    top pitcher: Tim Lincecum: 11-2, 2.57 era, 1.249 whip

2007: 38-48, 3.93 era. Scored 4.2 runs per game
    71 hr, .250/.320/.385
    top hitter: Barry F*g Bonds: 17 hr, .295/.512/.589
    top pitcher: Noah image Lowry: 9-6, 3.35 era, 1.407 whip

• Options
    Always interesting to compare the stats. Compared to last year this year's offense isn't perfect but seems to be in a whole other league. Hard to believe at the break last year they had more team homers and a better winning percentage despite the Freddy Sanchez and Posey injuries. As for the 2008, I never thought in this day I would ever see "Aaron Rowand" and "top hitter" used in the same sentence.
  • Options

<< <i>As for the 2008, I never thought in this day I would ever see "Aaron Rowand" and "top hitter" used in the same sentence. >>

I just used OPS as my measure for the 1st half "top hitter." Rowand just barely edged out Ray Durham.

I had forgotten about Durham. Good bat, bad health. Not as bad as Freddy Sanchez though.

• Options
    With the nation watching Matt Cain set the bar and Giants players drove in 5 of 8 runs scored and the MelkMan walks away with the MVP award. Can't beat that.
  • Options
    2012 AS SF Giants discussion: 7/10 - Giants power NL to 3rd straight win!

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    "I would like thang da fang. In Kan City. And San Frisco. Thang da fang."

"Melky, we gave you a race car. Could you explain your feelings for us here on national TV?"

"Thang da fang. Great fang. In Kan City. And San Frisco. Thang you fang."
  • Options
    Looks like Sandoval's free and clear.

The Santa Cruz authorities finished their investigation and submitted their findings to the DA: "the Sheriff's Office determined there is insufficient evidence to support an arrest for the alleged crime."

• Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I finally started Lincecum in tonite's game. He pitched terrific, 0 era in 8 innings, great WHIP, 11 K's, but Casilla can't hold a 2 run lead.
    Where was Romo?

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options

<< <i>2012 AS SF Giants discussion: 7/14 - Lincecum dominates, gets no-decision. >>

Vintage 2011 Timmy. Solid performance (8 shutout innings, 11 k's, 5 hits, 1 walk), miserable run support. Fortunately they pulled it out and won in extras, moving ahead of the Dodgers to the top of the NL West in the process. Dodgers lost when 2 guys basically stole home on the same play in the 9th. Awesome. LOL!!!!!

<< <i>but Casilla can't hold a 2 run lead. Where was Romo? >>

Boch is determined to keep trotting Casilla out there to get his groove back. However, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this wasn't Casilla's fault. Yeah, he put the runner on base, but:
    1) Hector Sanchez should have caught that ball.
    2) Hector Sanchez should have made an accurate throw to 1st (his throw beat the runner, but pulled Belt off the bag.
    3) Belt should not have hesitated in his throw home.

Romo's never going to be a closer in SF. Yeah, he's the most dominant pitcher in the Giants pen, but he's cursed with a fragile body. He's got chronic knee and elbow issues. Pitch him too much and he'll get inflammation and have to sit for a few days.

I think the Giants are going to make a run at a closer by the deadline. Huston Street? Brett Meyers? Brandon League? *gasp!* Jonathan Broxton!?!?

• Options
    Just by the numbers alone Lincecum dominated last night. This was his best outing since last year. With that said I'm not sure if this was the start of the return of the Freak show or one of those two times a day that a broken clock tells the right time. I mean, even Barry Zito has had a few excellent starts this year.

Timmy's next start will be against the Phillies in Philadelphia. So far this year has been a lost season for the Phillies as they're in last place but they are still a decent team with weapons in the lineup. If he can dominate or even have a quality start then we will know he's on the right track.

Calling the Dodgers loss last night a gift for the Giants is an understatement.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Broxton would be the most interesting add....

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options

<< <i>Broxton would be the most interesting add.... >>

Giants fans will root for whoever the team puts a uniform on, but rooting for Broxton (former Dodger closer) will be weird. Then again, if it wasn't for Broxton, the Giants magical 2010 post-season may never have happened....