Home Sports Talk
Options

2012 SF Giants discussion: NL West Champs

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Kruk got into a heated rant about the Giants on KNBR this morning, saying that they were playing "head up their ass" baseball all weekend. From the TV, it seemed like the players were devoid of any competitive spark.

I wonder if some of the players decided to see if they could force the ownership's hand and upgrade the team.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    A lot of the other sports writers are bringing up the fact that the Giants trying to get Pence would contradict all of their previous comments about payroll and the kinds of players they were going to get.

Bill Neukom would make this deal.

The ownership group FIRED Neukom for that very reason.

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    If Bowtie was still around he probably would've signed Albert Pujols and not had a single regret doing so.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/30 - Dead at the deadline?

So far, everyone not named Dennis O'Donnell ‏is denying any idea that the Giants and Phillies have any sort of deal in place for Pence. Phillies reporters, Giants reporters, national sports writers, Giants brass, Phillies brass.

One guy said they're "far apart", and another said "Pence isn't going anywhere."

Giants are still linked to Jonathan BLOWNSAVEroxton and BLOWNSAVErandon League though.

That's like opening up the foil on what you thought was a Chipotle burrito and finding a dead rat.

Ironically, the Dodgers are now a player in the Pence sweepstakes.

Dodgers brass: Spend the money, win, and we'll make more money!
    Giants brass: We're selling out every home game! That's good enough for us. Hang up the phone Brian, the wallet is closed.

• Options
    Hunter Pence is just too young and too productive for Sabean to feel comfortable with. Oh well...

I'm thinking before the deadline passes they'll trade for some 38 y.o. utility outfielder.

Must be nice to have an ownership willing to spend big bucks to win.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Hmm, lets load up on some sour grapes:

July 2012 Hunter Pence: 90 pa, .217/.278/.253, 1 homer, 23 so, 3 gdp
    vs
    July 2012 Nate Schierholtz: 50 pa, .244/.320/.467, 2 homers, 10 so, 1 gdp
    July 2012 Gregor Blanco: 64 pa, .218/.328/.273, 1 homer, 14 so, 0 gdp

If the Giants landed Pence, then he'd instantly become the team leader in GDPs, strikeouts, and homers.

• Options

<< <i>I'm thinking before the deadline passes they'll trade for some 38 y.o. utility outfielder. >>

Hideki Matsui's available. image

• Options
    According to a Phillies beat writer, any deal for Pence will INCLUDE Panik and Brown.

If the deal is something like Joseph, Brown, and Panik for Pence, then that'll set the whole Org back in player development at SS, CF, and C.

Then again, maybe we could just be like the Yankees and let other teams develop our players.

• Options

<< <i>Then again, maybe we could just be like the Yankees and let other teams develop our players. >>

Your ownership's gotta have a big wallet for that and we definitely don't have that.

A few hours ago a buddy ended up with an extra ticket for tonight so I'm going and the Caltrain just pulled up. Sort of feels like I'm on my way to watch a litter of puppies get dumped into a wood chipper. Let's see if that anemic lineup can miraculously turn it around tonight.

The Mets SP is apparently a spot starter I've never heard of. Normally that's good news except they got owned by one a few games ago.
  • Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/30 - Extra-innings loss at home set Giants up to be swept again.

Remember when the Giants bullpen used to be a strong point? Well, it isn't anymore.
    Sergio Romo: 0.2 ip, 4 earned runs
    Santiago Casilla: 0.1 ip, 2 earned runs

Offence sucks, bullpen sucks, starting pitching, well, that was ok.

It looks like this team was built to crash and burn, and they're doing exactly what they were designed to do.

I like what Baggs says:
    "Giants should make two transactions: Trade for Scott Hairston, then rent out Public Storage locker. Combo lock sold separately."

• Options

<< <i>Your ownership's gotta have a big wallet for that and we definitely don't have that. >>

The ownership doesn't look at the scoreboard. They don't look at boxscores. They look at the total cash brought in from tickets, Panda hats, hotdogs, etc. They gather around their smoky lounge hidden in AT&T Park as an underling brings in the totals for the day, then high five each other, maybe do a few chest bumps. Their game is money, and they're winning.

"Giants can't hit? Timmy can't throw strikes? What does that even mean? We sold out another home game, so the team's good enough."

• Options
    With Huff injuring himself again, I think we may see Brett Pill in SF by game time.

Apparently Pagan left the game early because he punched something in the dugout in anger, and it retaliated by being hard and not moving.

• Options
    Well that sucked. There's one night of my life wasted I'll never get back. I was really tempted to leave in the 4th inning and in hindsight I probably should have.

When Belt came up with 2 on and 2 outs in the 10th people started leaving because everybody knew the game was effectively over. Belt was either going to strike out or pop out, which was exactly what he did.

At this very moment seriously I cannot envision the team winning a game anytime in the next three weeks let alone this series. They couldn't even buy a win right now, and if they could the ownership would be too cheap to spend a dime to. When your division rivals are investing to win and you're penny-pinching, the playing field is far from level.

This would be a good time to pass the dynamite and consider blowing up the team. I'd start by putting Huff, Casilla, Belt, Crawford, Penny, Pagan and Zito on a boat loaded with that dynamite and quickly light a match.

You could say the Giants are the most democratic team in the majors. Everybody has the chance to play the goat, whether it be Romo, Casilla, Belt, Pagan or Scutaro. 3-2 in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded? You protect the plate and consider swinging. You don't get caught sightseeing.

15 LOB and only 7 runs on 16 hits just won't cut it. The offense sucks, fielding sucks, bullpen sucks, but don't forget 2/5 of the starting rotation sucks too.

Their next loss is tomorrow evening when Tim Lincecrap takes the hill and gives up 7 ER in 4.1 IP.
  • Options
    Once I get home I'll be looking for that A's ballcap from years ago I have stashed somewhere. At least their tickets are a hell of a lot cheaper.
  • Options

<< <i>Once I get home I'll be looking for that A's ballcap from years ago I have stashed somewhere. At least their tickets are a hell of a lot cheaper. >>

I've been a Giants fan since the Will Clark era. I've seen some bad teams. This isn't the worst of the bunch.

<< <i>When Belt came up with 2 on and 2 outs in the 10th people started leaving because everybody knew the game was effectively over. Belt was either going to strike out or pop out, which was exactly what he did. >>

On the radio it was described as being a few feet from being a homer. That's not quite a pop-out.

<< <i> There's one night of my life wasted I'll never get back. >>

Wow. I guess you didn't even grab a ChaCha Bowl and some garlic fries?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Once I get home I'll be looking for that A's ballcap from years ago I have stashed somewhere. At least their tickets are a hell of a lot cheaper. >>

I've been a Giants fan since the Will Clark era. I've seen some bad teams. This isn't the worst of the bunch.

<< <i>When Belt came up with 2 on and 2 outs in the 10th people started leaving because everybody knew the game was effectively over. Belt was either going to strike out or pop out, which was exactly what he did. >>

On the radio it was described as being a few feet from being a homer. That's not quite a pop-out.

<< <i> There's one night of my life wasted I'll never get back. >>

Wow. I guess you didn't even grab a ChaCha Bowl and some garlic fries? >>

True this team isn't the worst by any means. But when the team comes in with such high expectations then is on the verge of crashing and burning in full view it gets more dramatic.

Okay, Belt's final out wasn't a true pop-up, it was a fly out. It was hit deep but definitely in the park and not quite to the warning track.
  • Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/31 - Phillies and Pence's agent say Pence to the Giants. Giants say "not true", wtf?

So, Dennis O'Donnell apparently scooped everyone by 2 days with the Tommy Joseph for Pence deal, though the folks employed by the Giants are in "deny everything" mode.

Phillies front office confirms, Hunter Pence's agent confirms, Phillies beat writers confirm, Giants beat writers confirm, national sports writers confirm.

• Options
    Now the Mercury News is reporting that there is a trade in place with the Phillies for Hunter Pence. Not many details are mentioned except that the package centers around Tommy Joseph. At the same time the Dodgers get Shane Victorino.
  • Options
    It's being reported that it's not just Tommy Joseph, but Nate "The Great" is heading to Philly too, along with an as-of-yet unnamed pitcher. image

I had always hoped that Nate would turn into a lefty version of Hunter Pence. Looks like Philly hopes so to.

• Options

<< <i>It's being reported that it's not just Tommy Joseph, but Nate "The Great" is heading to Philly too, along with an as-of-yet unnamed pitcher. image

I had always hoped that Nate would turn into a lefty version of Hunter Pence. Looks like Philly hopes so to. >>

Dodgers also end up Brandon League. He blows saves but he has some upside.

I don't feel too bad about losing Schierholtz and I'm hoping that pitcher is Casilla. Nate had a decent game last night and he's had a few good moments but I don't mind seeing him go. As bad as Casilla has been he would actually be an upgrade to the Phillies horrendous bullpen.
  • Options

<< <i>Dodgers also end up Brandon League. He blows saves but he has some upside. >>

Upside for the Giants! The dude couldn't hold down the closer roll on a last place team.

<< <i> I don't feel too bad about losing Schierholtz ... >>

I'm a total homer when it comes to the Giants, and I like the home-grown guys. Nate was one of my favorite organizational role-players. He wasn't elite, but he wasn't horrible either. He was a solid slightly above replacement level player. He also played a nearly flawless right field at AT&T.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 7/31 - So long Nate... Schierholtz and 2 prospects traded to PHI for Hunter Pence

The two prospects are Tommy Joseph (C) and Seth Rosin (RHP).

Seth Rosin (23) was a 4th round pick in 2010, and was playing in San Jose (A) this year, where he was converted into a reliever, then back into a starter. He isn't a high-level prospect.
    His numbers over 3 years on the farm: 3.80 era, 1.203 whip, 3.47 so/bb, 9.8 so/9.

Tommy Joseph (21) was a 2nd round pick in 2009. He's the #2 prospect in the Giants org, and had, what some scouts called "light tower power."
    His numbers over 3 years on the farm: .256/.307/.427. Behind the plate he hosed down 38% of would-be basestealers.

Pence should solve the Giants right-field problem, but now they have a center-field problem with Pagan struggling. Gregor Blanco and Justin Christian can play center field, so it looks like we haven't escaped the dreaded "platoon".

Hunter Pence mentioned a while back how much he hates playing right field at AT&T Park. I hope he can get over it.

Apparently he's also "shocked" that he's been traded. He really liked it in Philly. I hope he can get over that too.

• Options
    I'm not as up to date on the farm system players as some others are so I'm not that directly familiar with Joseph or Rosin. Just going by the numbers it doesn't look like Rosin is an elite prospect. By the numbers Joseph looks okay but again not elite. Aside from Buster they've got Hector Sanchez who's young so the catcher position looks spoken for for many years. If they had to give someone up it might as well be a catcher.

By the way what does "light tower power" exactly mean?
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not as up to date on the farm system players as some others are so I'm not that directly familiar with Joseph or Rosin. Just going by the numbers it doesn't look like Rosin is an elite prospect. By the numbers Joseph looks okay but again not elite. Aside from Buster they've got Hector Sanchez who's young so the catcher position looks spoken for for many years. If they had to give someone up it might as well be a catcher.

By the way what does "light tower power" exactly mean? >>

Rosin is a scrub, so I'm not concerned.

I always figured Joseph wouldn't have much of a future her at C with Posey behind the dish, but I'm not convinced that Hector Sanchez is anything yet. He "looks" like a hitter cuz he's big and mean looking with tats and is built like a slim Sandoval.

The "light tower power" means that when he hit a homer, it wasn't a "bomb", it was an "ICBM."

JuggerNATE, always a Giant.

• Options
    Hmm, Giants needed bullpen help, got nothing.

Scutaro in, Burriss out.
    Pence in, Schierholtz out.

• Options
    Thought they were going to get a closer or middle reliever. Guess not.
  • Options

<< <i>Is there any potential last minute deal with the Indians for their closer? >>

Nope. They pulled him off the market a few days ago.

It'll be waver-deals from here on out.

• Options
    Looks like Dempster is going to the Rangers and not L.A. There's a little relief.
  • Options
    They needed this one although the run scoring was still excruciating. Timmy impressed me, I'll admit that.

Tomorrow the Hunter Pence era begins.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    What kind of contract is Pence under? Is he a long-term fit in SF or is this just a mid-season rental and then he's back on the market soon?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>What kind of contract is Pence under? Is he a long-term fit in SF or is this just a mid-season rental and then he's back on the market soon? >>

He's under team control through arbitration until next year. He's probably going to be owed about 14 million next year, up from the 10 million or so he's making this year.

That made him more attractive than Shane Victorino and was a reason some in Philly questioned if giving him up at this time was a good move. Victorino becomes a free agent at the end of this year so he'll probably turn into a rental for the Dodgers.
  • Options
    Sabean said that he's planning on trying to lock up Melky and Pence to long term deals.

• Options

<< <i>They needed this one although the run scoring was still excruciating. Timmy impressed me, I'll admit that. >>

7th inning was scary though. Bases loaded, 1 out. Lincecum lucked out with a low liner to 2nd for the 2nd out (almost a double play), then he threw a FILTHY curve that froze Wright to leave em loaded. I guess that's the difference between good and bad: pitching out of jams.

• Options
    My Scutaro rookie arrived yesterday. image

2001 Topps Fusion

Hector Sanchez and Steve Edlefsen finally got major league cards:

2012 Topps / Emerald Nuts Giants set (SGA)
    imageimage

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They needed this one although the run scoring was still excruciating. Timmy impressed me, I'll admit that. >>

7th inning was scary though. Bases loaded, 1 out. Lincecum lucked out with a low liner to 2nd for the 2nd out (almost a double play), then he threw a FILTHY curve that froze Wright to leave em loaded. I guess that's the difference between good and bad: pitching out of jams. >>

That inning was what impressed me. I'm not one who enjoys living in the past but it was a good thing pre-2012 Timmy showed up. Pre-2012 Timmy could pitch with the bases loaded and no outs then get one guy to pop out then strike out the next two. The 2012 Timmy would've given up a bases clearing double to Wright and disintegrated.
  • Options
    Hopefully with Pence to bolster the lineup, we won't have to depend on errors or the run-scoring double play to get our runs.

However, Pence is now the team leader in GDPs, so... uhh...

• Options
    So, coming into SF, the Dodgers had dropped 3 out of 4 in St Louis. Then the stomped the Giants in 3 games. Then, going back home, they rolled over and died and got swept by the D-Backs, with Hanley going 0-fer series.

Do the Giants just suck, or did the Giants players "send a statement" to the front office that they didn't agree with Sabean's comments that the team didn't need reinforcements? Once they got Pence, the Giants took the field, scored some sloppy runs, Lincecum got his FreaK on, and Affeldt threw 2 perfect innings for the long save.

• Options
    The Pence era begins but the team still sucks.
  • Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 8/1 - The Pence era begins... with 0-4.

In related news... new Phillies rightfielder Nate Schierholtz went 2-5 with the go-ahead homer in his debut.

• Options

<< <i>2012 SF Giants discussion: 8/1 - The Pence era begins... with 0-4.

In related news... new Phillies rightfielder Nate Schierholtz went 2-5 with the go-ahead homer in his debut. >>

Amazing how every ball player who puts on a Giants uniform who isn't named Barry Bonds mysteriously loses their ability to hit. Imagine if Posey was on any other team he'd be hitting .390 with 34 homers by this time in the season.
  • Options
    Hmm, two moves tonight:

Hector Sanchez activated from DL, Eli Whiteside sent down.
    Shane Loux activated from the DL, Justin Christian sent down.

Giants decided to trade a bench seat for a bullpen one.

Justin Christian was hitting .162/.225/.189, so he wasn't helping.

• Options
    Heh, Boch on Pablo's injury: "Usually, going back to Little League, you put the fat guy over there and you didn’t worry about injuries."

Anyways, Giants are 1-6 without Pablo in the lineup.

• Options
    What a way to start the game: ground out, strike out, walk, walk, HBP, 2 run single, 2 run double, fielders choice out.

Good ol'e Zito. Spotting the other team 4 runs before the Giants even come to bat.

Giants are looking at finishing 3-7 on this 10 game home stand.

Manny Burriss cleared wavers and was outrighted to Fresno, so he's still in the system.

• Options
    The disastrous 10 game homestand:

7/23, v SD: 7-1, W
    7/24, v SD: 3-2, W
    7/25, v SD: 2-6, L
    7/27, v LA: 3-5, L (10 innings)
    7/28, v LA: 0-10, L
    7/29, v LA: 0-4, L
    7/30, v NY: 7-8, L (10 innings)
    7/31, v NY: 4-1, W
    8/01, v NY: 1-2, L
    8/02, v NY: 1-9, L

Giants hit the road. Their first city is Colorado. The first pitcher they'll face? Jonathan Sanchez.

• Options
    Tonight it's the Rockies. In a hitters' park it's the worst run scoring team versus the worst pitcher in the league in Jonathan Sanchez. So who wins this train wreck?
  • Options

<< <i>Tonight it's the Rockies. In a hitters' park it's the worst run scoring team versus the worst pitcher in the league in Jonathan Sanchez. So who wins this train wreck? >>

Well, Nate looked like Barry Bonds when he played at Coors Field, but we don't have him anymore.

Hmmmm....

Final score: Rockies 7, Giants 2.

Jonathan Sanchez: 5 ip, 0 r, 0 h, 12 bb, 14 so
    Rockies bullpen: 4 ip, 9 h, 2 runs.

Ryan Voglesong: 6 ip, 4 runs, 4 hits (4 homers) 5 bb, 10 so
    Giants bullpen: 2 ip, 6 h, 3 r.

Vogelsong will be his normal self, pounding the strike zone, inducing weak contact, except for a few, which all leave the park. Penny and Loux will combine for a garbage 1 ip where they get rocked for 3 runs. Affeldt will pitch a scoreless 8th.

Sanchez will have no idea where the ball's going. Sanchez will have one crisp inning, then degenerate into a mess, where each inning involves loading the bases with walks, then ending with a basesloaded strikeout. After walking the leadoff man in the 6th, he'll start yelling at the umpire and get ejected. The Rockies pin will come in and hold the Giants to 2 runs over the next 4 innings, both being back-to-back shots by Posey and Melky.

Boch will say: "Well, our guys did a good job of working the counts and getting those walks, but you gotta tip your cap to Sanchy. He didn't have his best stuff, but he was able to bring it all together when he needed that strikeout and he got it."

• Options
    Dodger's claimed Cliff Lee on wavers. We'll see if they get a deal done. Sources seem to think that the Phillies will just pull him back.

Here's an interesting pair of tweets:

from a reporter:
    Alex Pavlovic ‏@AlexPavlovic - 1 hr
    Pablo Sandoval did a couple minutes of light jogging, now walking gingerly back to dugout. Might be longer than a 15-day injury.

from Sandoval:
    KFP48 ‏@KFP48 - 20 min
    Just finished my running workout - 4 spring of 120 yards -The leg is healing good , now time for some BP and groundball #PANDAMODEalmost On

• Options
    Alright, my prediction of Jonathan Sanchez' near no-no were proven wrong, but I do see a problem here:

Giants vs THE WORST PITCHER IN MLB:

Sanchez: 3 ip, 3 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned, 3 walks, 1 so. ERA lowered.

Heh, the MLB has their "live lookin" going with the Rockies broadcasters. They sound like they're about to fall asleep.

Edit to add: 16 run rout. Dodgers and D-Backs won, so nothing changes.

Nice to see the pen come in and lay down perfection.

I'm getting concerned about Pence though. He's 1 for 12 in his 3 games as a Giant. I'm starting to have Ryan Garko flashbacks.

• Options
    It's good to see Pagan's bat has finally woken up from its nap.

Underpants wasn't exactly tearing it up in Philly when he came over but considering everything I still think he's an upgrade over Schierholtz.
  • Options
    Momentum is momentum, whether it's Coors generated or not. I'm guessing the thin air up there is why Voggy and Bum both ran out of gas early (by their standards).

Posey's on fire right now. If the Giants make it into October, and Posey keeps doing what he's doing, he's going to earn some legitimate consideration for MVP. He's already got the "Comeback Player of the Year Award" locked up easy.

And this was great:

Young caught stealing 3rd: Bumgarner to Scutaro to Arias to Theriot to Scutaro to Pill to Bumgarner.

I like Melky's little clap at the end.