Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hansen watch.

Comments

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2019 12:40PM

@privaterarecoincollector said:

@neildrobertson said:

@Boosibri said:
    Registry nonsense chasing modern coins not even around when Eliasberg was collecting while passing on irreplaceable and long-standing rarities

If I was him, I would be fueled by this type of comment. He's showing some characteristics that make him stand out from some of these other well known collectors of the past.

1974 was 45 years ago. How long does material have to be "out there" before the concrete starts to set and people feel like they know if a top pop has staying power? (This is a sincere question)

I would say at least another 50 years to make sure the POP report doesnt get completely changed over time anymore, which it will for everything after 1900 still.
    e.g. all the highest graded Mercury Dimes will change for sure over time, now there is one 1938-D in 68, in 10 years there will be 5 or 10 or 20 probably + 68+ and 69s.

Thats not going to happen for the MS 67 1794 Half Cent.

The problem is he is building his set now---he can't wait 50 years to confirm population. Part of his challenge is that he is building a set that covers everything and not able to just focus on a mature area like 18th cent. half cents.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2019 1:09PM

@Gazes said:

@neildrobertson said:

@Boosibri said:
    Registry nonsense chasing modern coins not even around when Eliasberg was collecting while passing on irreplaceable and long-standing rarities

If I was him, I would be fueled by this type of comment. He's showing some characteristics that make him stand out from some of these other well known collectors of the past.

1974 was 45 years ago. How long does material have to be "out there" before the concrete starts to set and people feel like they know if a top pop has staying power? (This is a sincere question)

I would say at least another 50 years to make sure the POP report doesnt get completely changed over time anymore, which it will for everything after 1900 still.
    e.g. all the highest graded Mercury Dimes will change for sure over time, now there is one 1938-D in 68, in 10 years there will be 5 or 10 or 20 probably + 68+ and 69s.

The problem is he is building his set now---he can't wait 50 years to confirm population. Part of his challenge is that he is building a set that covers everything and not able to just focus on a mature area like 18th cent. half cents.

I think the point is in paying $400k for a top pop moderish dime where the premium will likely evaporate over a relatively short period of time vs paying up for truly recognizable classic rarities

@Boosibri said:

@Gazes said:

@neildrobertson said:

@Boosibri said:

I think the point is in paying $400k for a top pop moderish dime where the premium will likely evaporate over a relatively short period of time vs paying up for truly recognizable classic rarities

I understand the thinking and that may be correct. For the record, I don't collect anything that is considered modern. I did read an interesting article in a subscription based newsletter with a well respected numismatist who compared modern coins to the way modern art was viewed initially. People thought paying X dollars for an Andy Warhol was idiotic. Turned out to be a good investment. Another example is for years people said it was a waste to pay big money for the top graded Franklin Halves---coins that were modern and not so rare. Those top graded coins seem to continue to go up in value. I don't know what will happen, but my point is that there may be more potential in these coins then people are giving credit to.

• @Boosibri said:

@Gazes said:

@neildrobertson said:

@Boosibri said:

This.

• It just happened to me on a lower level, I bought a top Lincoln Cent for 6.000 USD 3 years ago that is now worth only 2.000 because a few more got graded.

@Boosibri said:

@Gazes said:

@neildrobertson said:

@Boosibri said:

This.

It can also happen with $10 and $20 gold turning up from Europe.

• @Gazes said:

@Boosibri said:

@Gazes said:

@neildrobertson said:

@Boosibri said:

This.

exactly. But rarely only with 18th century coins.

@Gazes said:

@Boosibri said:

@Gazes said:

@neildrobertson said:

@Boosibri said:

This.

exactly. But rarely only with 18th century coins.

Agree

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

To what degree is the growth of the populations for Mercury Dimes a factor of the maturity of the TPGs versus the age of the coin? Is the risk that there are rolls of gem roosevelts out there that haven't been considering for grading yet, or that there are top tier Roosevelts raw in collections still?

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:

@Boosibri said:

For those of you who say this is a bad purchase because it's a modern coin hear this:
    I know for a fact if one of you get the urge to make another one I have a serious buyer right now. Also if you can't make this coin in a 7FB they'll happily take a 4FB, 5FB, or 6FB for this date. This coin just doesn't exist in FB's and IMHO the said coin in 7FB that Hansen bought isn't a true FB dime. Too many hits on both lower bands and they are flat.

If you were to make this coin, you will be paid handsomely for it.
    Good Luck!

Later, Paul.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2019 3:05PM

@Stooge said:

@neildrobertson said:

@Boosibri said:

For those of you who say this is a bad purchase because it's a modern coin hear this:
    I know for a fact if one of you get the urge to make another one I have a serious buyer right now. Also if you can't make this coin in a 7FB they'll happily take a 4FB, 5FB, or 6FB for this date. This coin just doesn't exist in FB's and IMHO the said coin in 7FB that Hansen bought isn't a true FB dime. Too many hits on both lower bands and they are flat.

If you were to make this coin, you will be paid handsomely for it.
    Good Luck!

Interesting and no doubt true. Still, there must be millions of uncirculated 74 dimes out there, so it’s hard for me to consider any of them all that important in the scheme of things.

Doesn’t mean I’m not going to start looking closer at my 74 Mint Sets.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will cower before my world domination. Unless you pay my ransom of one 1974 dime, I will destroy you. Bwahahahahaha

What? Oh...

Make that one billlllionnnn dollarsssss.

edited September 9, 2019 3:16PM

BTW, I like the value of the proof 75 dime at something north of 250K, and I’m (seriously) a big fan of Franklin Mint coins, so don’t think I’m a moderns hater. I just think that that the last micron of quality or strike is not that important, however old a coin may be.

Andy Lustig

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2019 3:33PM

I didn't think I could like him more but this just did it.
    Not only does he not care about CAC, but he also likes moderns.

You should have a beer-mug-toast emoji :D

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always fun spending someone else's money.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

» show previous quotes
    The coin brought $456,000 against a PCGS price guide price of $349,600. The latter represents the amount it realized when it sold previously, in 2011.

Yes, I know this. The price guide in this case is worthless. The price guide follows the coin. If it sold for a million dollars, the PG would have to be adjusted.

I still feel this was a steal at either price.”

Stooge (Paul): As usual, your instincts and assessments, especially as they relate to Roosevelt dimes, are “dead on”. I should have a few things to say about the 1975 No S Dime (“Hollywood” as the Heritage auctioneer put it) later this week and I will share my comments here and over on the Registry Forum thread dedicated to Roosevelt Dimes.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • @neildrobertson said:

To what degree is the growth of the populations for Mercury Dimes a factor of the maturity of the TPGs versus the age of the coin? Is the risk that there are rolls of gem roosevelts out there that haven't been considering for grading yet, or that there are top tier Roosevelts raw in collections still?

yes plus upgrades.

But I assume that the majority of all roosevelts is not graded incl. proof sets and thats different for high grade 18th century coins.

Finest known at PCGS means nothing if only all 20% of all high grade coins are graded.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2019 11:18PM

@neildrobertson said:

@Boosibri said:

Pop reports keep on changing, even for older coins. There are upgrades and downgrades that make sure things don't stagnate.

Coins where grades matter less are when there are just a handful.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many of you (us) loupe every coin in our collection when we look at them?
    Naked eye, 12 inch distance and who cares?
    Some things are too much.

• PerfectionPerfection Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Hah! Well Said! ☺

@JBatDavidLawrence said:

@Boosibri said:

@Gazes said:

@neildrobertson said:

@Boosibri said:

There's no need for us to argue over a coin's value here that we didn't even buy....

Does this mean that you're getting ready to tell us the rest of the story? (:>)

Andy Lustig

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Note to self:

Buy unopened 1975 proof sets. Hard to believe the mint had a run of only two coins before they discovered the error.

Burn the note and wait to hear from a lucky B&M dealer. :p

Folks have been examining 1975 Proof sets for decades. I'll bet every set still in dealers' stocks have been examined at least a dozen times each! Those coins are still out there, held by non collectors and SAH buyers who have no idea the no-S exists. Eventually, those sets will be sold on to the market and will make headlines with each new find.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    How many of you (us) loupe every coin in our collection when we look at them?
    Naked eye, 12 inch distance and who cares?
    Some things are too much.

Er...one? I'd like to tell you how I really look at my coins but that would confirm I'm crazy!

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    “But I assume that the majority of all roosevelts is not graded incl. proof sets and thats different for high grade 18th century coins.”

But, the vast majority of Roosie collectors who have a budget of, say, $25-$100 a coin really don’t have the luxury to pay attention to that fact.

Astute Roosie collectors (as young as teenagers) have paid $5-$10 a coin plus a grading fee and ended up grading, and selling an “end product” for $5,000 -$10,000 (or keeping the coin for their collection). These teenagers and sharp collectors on a budget (maybe 99% of them) can not consider “high grade 18th century coins” - right?

The opportunities for a seasoned Roosie collector with $50 -$100 in his pocket at a coin show are nearly endless. For $1 or $2 plus a $16 grading fee one can potentially make a $10,000 coin. I know someone who recently turned $9 plus a grading fee into nearly $40,000.00 (different modern series than Roosies, but same idea). How much does a collector need to bring to a typical coin show to score a good deal on a “high grade 18th century coin”?

Wondercoin

Love this scenario if I'm on the discovering/slabbing end of it. I wouldn't be a buyer of same but I'd sure love to make something along these lines! :)

• CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2019 2:36AM

@DLHansen said:
    Currin. I will enter a coin I have been diligently looking for. The 1819 $5 Gold BD-2. One of the basic set coins. I will enter it tomorrow. Look forward to your Thoughts. DellLoy Hansen

Sounds like a great pickup. The BD-2 is definitely the rarer of the 1819s. If it is the coin that I am thinking of... WOW!

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

Kudos to @DLHansen on an outstanding purchase. There is some discussion among Dahlonega specialists whether the ‘55 Large D or Medium D is the rarer variety; regardless, any 1855-D $5 above AU 55 and with nice eye appeal is a very rare find. As a Dahlonega enthusiast, all I can say is, WOW!

Very nice coin. The understanding of the medium and large D varieties is all out of whack and even has been adjusted a few times by DW. A simple review of coinfacts before it was adulterated would have shown nearly all images examples as medium D. The large D is the much rarer of the two. The major grading companies have been inconsistent on designating these varieties.

• Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

Speaking of Dahlonega,
    @Currin said:

He was missing the 1853-D Medium D. I am not sure the coin was required in his day. If it was, I am curious why he did not obtain a specimen.

I just happened to notice that the 1853-D Medium D $5 is no longer in the registry set for the Dahlonega Complete Set with Major Varieties. It was on the list a week ago?? If that’s the case, it looks like he needs only the 1840-D (Small D) $5 to complete that registry set.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting on the 1819 $5.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

The 1819 is a fantastic coin

• goldengolden Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a coin and what a collection!

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 3:11AM

It's an interesting coin, but Eliasberg owned a lot of different coins, including colonial, foreign and ancient coins.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12308934/#Comment_12308934
    I'm not sure the "complete US coins" quest should get redirected to obtaining everything that Eliasberg once owned....

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 3:11AM

@yosclimber said:
    It's an interesting coin, but Eliasberg owned a lot of different coins, including colonial, foreign and ancient coins.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12308934/#Comment_12308934
    I'm not sure the "complete US coins" quest should get redirected to obtaining everything that Eliasberg once owned....

It's true Eliasberg had a large variety of holdings as he even had a gold Confederate cent, Humbert slug, and a set of gold Lincoln medals! However, this particular coin is a Morgan Dollar presentation strike, so it's much closer to the current US coin focus, perhaps even more so than pattern coins.

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Just ran across this Eliasberg coin. It's one of the first 10 Morgan Dollars struck at the San Francisco Mint and a presentation piece. It could be something for Dell Loy to be on the look out for:

This is pedigreed to J. Gus. Burt, Emanuel Wertman, and Eliasberg. In the 1910 Wertman sale, it sold for just $1.10!

I had no idea that existed. WOW.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • JFK_CollectorJFK_Collector Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 2:56PM

Curious how NGC graded that coin with graffiti that visible. I could understand if it was in a Genuine holder.

• @Boosibri said:

@JFK_Collector said:
    Curious how NGC graded that coin with graffiti that visible. I could understand if it was in a Genuine holder.

It’s clearly a special presentation piece made clear by the etching and the etching doesn’t detract in the way a large “X” would.

Understood, but is it still graffiti added to the coin after striking?

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Normally graffiti is not finely engraved.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't you suspect it was done at the mint?

@JFK_Collector said:

@Boosibri said:

@JFK_Collector said:

It’s clearly a special presentation piece made clear by the etching and the etching doesn’t detract in the way a large “X” would.

Understood, but is it still graffiti added to the coin after striking?

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Don't you suspect it was done at the mint?

That doesn’t preclude it from being graffiti, since it still occurred after the coin was struck.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file